Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Writer's Pet Peeves
1 2 3 4 5
Editing and making it worse :"(
Dialogue is great. Dialogue is fun. What is not fun is dialogue TAGS. I'll be writing a scene, going on a roll, when I realize that for several lines now my characters have been conversing in the Featureless Plane of Disembodied Dialogue. Then I have to go back and break it up with fitting actions or reactions or whatever.

I know it's worth it; it helps keep the story grounded and communicates extra information, it's just...extra hard.
Dialogue is great. Dialogue is fun. What is not fun is dialogue TAGS. I'll be writing a scene, going on a roll, when I realize that for several lines now my characters have been conversing in the Featureless Plane of Disembodied Dialogue. Then I have to go back and break it up with fitting actions or reactions or whatever.

I know it's worth it; it helps keep the story grounded and communicates extra information, it's just...extra hard.
je1KGwo.png
Said. Is. Not. Dead. I get that overusing it is plain and boring but do not shame writers who use "said" in their works. Sometimes there's just no other way to do it other than describing all the little unimportant things happening around that just distract people.
Said. Is. Not. Dead. I get that overusing it is plain and boring but do not shame writers who use "said" in their works. Sometimes there's just no other way to do it other than describing all the little unimportant things happening around that just distract people.
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
[quote name="Watchword" date=2017-02-19 22:39:01] Editing and making it worse :"( [/quote] ^This, so much this^ Not in my writing, but when people refer to eyes as "Orbs". Maybe once or twice, but not through out the whole of the story!
Watchword wrote on 2017-02-19:
^This, so much this^

Not in my writing, but when people refer to eyes as "Orbs". Maybe once or twice, but not through out the whole of the story!
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
[quote name="OracleOreo00" date=2017-02-18 08:04:54] When you can't write what you're seeing in your head. [/quote] This. This so much. I see it perfectly in my head, but when it comes to the actual words? Comes out like "He walk n say thing or somethin idk lol" ;-; I don't want people reading my unfinished stuff. Just, no. I'll show you when I want, just like with my drawings. I will not write you a long-ass story for free, mate. Even a small favor would be enough, but I'm not gonna try and type out like, 10k words for absolutely nothing. Hell to the no. People saying "Writing is easy! Why aren't you done yet?" [i]really[/i] gets on my nerves. Writing can take a while, especially if you get in a slump. Hell, it's been months since I've worked on a piece because I just couldn't figure out how to move from where it is. Not being able to draw what you're writing, or vice versa. ;-;
OracleOreo00 wrote on 2017-02-18:
When you can't write what you're seeing in your head.

This. This so much. I see it perfectly in my head, but when it comes to the actual words? Comes out like "He walk n say thing or somethin idk lol" ;-;

I don't want people reading my unfinished stuff. Just, no. I'll show you when I want, just like with my drawings.

I will not write you a long-*** story for free, mate. Even a small favor would be enough, but I'm not gonna try and type out like, 10k words for absolutely nothing. Hell to the no.

People saying "Writing is easy! Why aren't you done yet?" really gets on my nerves. Writing can take a while, especially if you get in a slump. Hell, it's been months since I've worked on a piece because I just couldn't figure out how to move from where it is.

Not being able to draw what you're writing, or vice versa. ;-;
pVhWnFy.png
[quote name="Rexcaliburr" date=2017-02-20 23:24:19] Said. Is. Not. Dead. I get that overusing it is plain and boring but do not shame writers who use "said" in their works. Sometimes there's just no other way to do it other than describing all the little unimportant things happening around that just distract people. [/quote] Related: When someone recommends you replace said (or another "plain" word) with a word that isn't even a synonym and/or is way too dramatic or powerful? I can't think of a good example right now.
Rexcaliburr wrote on 2017-02-20:
Related: When someone recommends you replace said (or another "plain" word) with a word that isn't even a synonym and/or is way too dramatic or powerful? I can't think of a good example right now.
all of my hoards are located here! // free level twenty-four cauldron!
tumblr_inline_nfx4qkzLCB1r6zydg.png
When you have a great idea that you're almost certain no one has ever thought of before and then like a month later someone comes out with a movie or something that's just close enough to your idea that people would accuse you of ripping it off if you ever wrote said idea down, and on top of that the movie/game/whatever is nowhere near as good as what you thought of, and is more along the lines of a cheap bootleg of your idea.

WRITER'S BLOCK

When you have a perfect image of something in your mind but it always slips away the moment you try to record or communicate it in any way

When both of your favorite genres are widely considered either universally unoriginal recycled cliches worthy only of children's books (Fantasy) or dull and boring due to lack of flashy action sequences and too complicated for the average person and therefore somehow automatically bad (Hard Sci-Fi), and trying to combine the two is generally seen as a laughable concept at best.

When people complain that your plot is too complicated and boring because it's not as straightforward as "Flaming bear monsters bad, humans good".

When people accuse you of trying to be edgy and pretentious because you make a point of your dislike for the whole concept of "Light is good, dark is evil" and generally enjoy deconstructing and twisting tropes.

When people complain because humans aren't in some way the center of the universe in your world and/or nonhuman characters aren't automatically pushed to the sides and denied any character development beyond "Plot point", 'Filler", or "Racial stereotype that would be highly offensive if that race actually existed" just to make way for the human characters.

Similar to above, when people accuse you of being a furry because a lot of your important characters aren't human.

When you just know that if this ever gets out every other fanfic site member on the internet is going to be aggressively shipping several characters with eachother and you REALLY don't want that to happen.

When you know for a fact that all of your ideas would be completely impossible to produce as anything other than a very long book (Because of special effects costs, social taboos, the tendency of movies to automatically simplify every plot down to the same annoyingly basic framework and aggressively flanderize every single character down to a one-dimensional cliche, ect) without altering it to the point of unrecognizability, which you're never going to do because you think it's perfect as it is and to change it enough to be mainstream media-compatible would be a crime in your eyes.

Related to above, when you know for a fact that your book would be doomed to failure because it would be long and the only book genre that can still really be considered successful at all is teen(often vampire) romance, which you refuse to write. (The only exception being if you somehow get really lucky like harry potter, but really, what are the chances of that? It's still technically a teen-ish series anyway.)

When people say things like "You're overthinking it!" when you try to do some real complex worldbuilding

I could go on for days but i think I'll stop here before my migraine gets any worse.
When you have a great idea that you're almost certain no one has ever thought of before and then like a month later someone comes out with a movie or something that's just close enough to your idea that people would accuse you of ripping it off if you ever wrote said idea down, and on top of that the movie/game/whatever is nowhere near as good as what you thought of, and is more along the lines of a cheap bootleg of your idea.

WRITER'S BLOCK

When you have a perfect image of something in your mind but it always slips away the moment you try to record or communicate it in any way

When both of your favorite genres are widely considered either universally unoriginal recycled cliches worthy only of children's books (Fantasy) or dull and boring due to lack of flashy action sequences and too complicated for the average person and therefore somehow automatically bad (Hard Sci-Fi), and trying to combine the two is generally seen as a laughable concept at best.

When people complain that your plot is too complicated and boring because it's not as straightforward as "Flaming bear monsters bad, humans good".

When people accuse you of trying to be edgy and pretentious because you make a point of your dislike for the whole concept of "Light is good, dark is evil" and generally enjoy deconstructing and twisting tropes.

When people complain because humans aren't in some way the center of the universe in your world and/or nonhuman characters aren't automatically pushed to the sides and denied any character development beyond "Plot point", 'Filler", or "Racial stereotype that would be highly offensive if that race actually existed" just to make way for the human characters.

Similar to above, when people accuse you of being a furry because a lot of your important characters aren't human.

When you just know that if this ever gets out every other fanfic site member on the internet is going to be aggressively shipping several characters with eachother and you REALLY don't want that to happen.

When you know for a fact that all of your ideas would be completely impossible to produce as anything other than a very long book (Because of special effects costs, social taboos, the tendency of movies to automatically simplify every plot down to the same annoyingly basic framework and aggressively flanderize every single character down to a one-dimensional cliche, ect) without altering it to the point of unrecognizability, which you're never going to do because you think it's perfect as it is and to change it enough to be mainstream media-compatible would be a crime in your eyes.

Related to above, when you know for a fact that your book would be doomed to failure because it would be long and the only book genre that can still really be considered successful at all is teen(often vampire) romance, which you refuse to write. (The only exception being if you somehow get really lucky like harry potter, but really, what are the chances of that? It's still technically a teen-ish series anyway.)

When people say things like "You're overthinking it!" when you try to do some real complex worldbuilding

I could go on for days but i think I'll stop here before my migraine gets any worse.
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
1 - people telling me how to write my story

2 - people screeching at me because they hate the direction I took a plot or because a character isn't the stereotypical embodiement of mental and emotional perfection

3 - ^^and then them writing it off as "constructive criticism" intended to help me (help me write the story they want, more like) (ugh)
1 - people telling me how to write my story

2 - people screeching at me because they hate the direction I took a plot or because a character isn't the stereotypical embodiement of mental and emotional perfection

3 - ^^and then them writing it off as "constructive criticism" intended to help me (help me write the story they want, more like) (ugh)
At least you walked a lonely road and gave it a friend.
When I have amazing characters, and a plot that would be more suspenseful if a two year old wrote it. ARGH! Why are plots so hard?!
When I have amazing characters, and a plot that would be more suspenseful if a two year old wrote it. ARGH! Why are plots so hard?!
QiRqFyd.gif
@Thiedo

*Googles* How even do you plot? lol

I just kinda make small points to hit on in a chapter, no real major "plot" behind it... Just kinda tie it all together though XD

But I am also the one who decided to write a fic in which someone got a paper cut... come the end -as of now- no one has yet to get paper cut. I'll continue on it later, so they might just get one yet
@Thiedo

*Googles* How even do you plot? lol

I just kinda make small points to hit on in a chapter, no real major "plot" behind it... Just kinda tie it all together though XD

But I am also the one who decided to write a fic in which someone got a paper cut... come the end -as of now- no one has yet to get paper cut. I'll continue on it later, so they might just get one yet
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
1 2 3 4 5