Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Writer's Pet Peeves
1 2 3 4 5
having it sound great in your head, and terrrrrrible on paper. or trying to render a movement-heavy scene without it turning into word salad / too jargon-heavy.

also... why give me em-dashes, ellipses and parentheses if I'm not allowed to use them?!
having it sound great in your head, and terrrrrrible on paper. or trying to render a movement-heavy scene without it turning into word salad / too jargon-heavy.

also... why give me em-dashes, ellipses and parentheses if I'm not allowed to use them?!
snow_scarf.gifdeepsea_sword.pngice_bibling_by_cicide76536-dciw58p.gifdeepsea_scarf.pngnight_ribbon.png
When you have a lovely hardback journal with short scenes in it and you can't find it. And apparently it's one of those horrible lucky journals and trying to write in a different journal just feels wrong. ._.

Staring at a blank piece of paper while your imagination is playing out wickedly cool scenes and your brain is going all 'duuuuur? how do I cow?'.

Drifting off to peaceful slumber and coming up with an awesome scene that NEEDS to be written down and then next thing you know, the sun is coming up and your hand is cramping something fierce.

My favorite though, is when you need a one time use villian and the ******* not only develops a personality, but he becomes an easy favorite. Which isn't supposed to happen.
When you have a lovely hardback journal with short scenes in it and you can't find it. And apparently it's one of those horrible lucky journals and trying to write in a different journal just feels wrong. ._.

Staring at a blank piece of paper while your imagination is playing out wickedly cool scenes and your brain is going all 'duuuuur? how do I cow?'.

Drifting off to peaceful slumber and coming up with an awesome scene that NEEDS to be written down and then next thing you know, the sun is coming up and your hand is cramping something fierce.

My favorite though, is when you need a one time use villian and the ******* not only develops a personality, but he becomes an easy favorite. Which isn't supposed to happen.
[quote name="OracleOreo00" date=2017-02-18 08:04:54] When you can't write what you're seeing in your head. [/quote] [ [i]PAINED KEENING NOISE[/i] ]
OracleOreo00 wrote on 2017-02-18:
When you can't write what you're seeing in your head.
[ PAINED KEENING NOISE ]
N i c k
"Fear not the night."
→ he/him
dd9d37c13149d4412f933c2662309cbb42245e81.png
Not sure if any of these will count and they're directed at others I've seen do it.....and Forum based Rp is still writing in a way right? haha. Anyways....

- When people cannot cap the first letters of the proper things like names and places, even when they don't cap "I".

- Txt speak. I've known a few people who do this and its all good when you're doing it for shiggles...but when you're like mid-20's and use text speak like a teenage dummy trying to be cool...how can I even take you seriously?!

.....thats bout it actually, the two peeves I have that drive me up the wall.
Not sure if any of these will count and they're directed at others I've seen do it.....and Forum based Rp is still writing in a way right? haha. Anyways....

- When people cannot cap the first letters of the proper things like names and places, even when they don't cap "I".

- Txt speak. I've known a few people who do this and its all good when you're doing it for shiggles...but when you're like mid-20's and use text speak like a teenage dummy trying to be cool...how can I even take you seriously?!

.....thats bout it actually, the two peeves I have that drive me up the wall.
-Knowing the beginning and the end but never having a clue for the middle. Ever.

-Having so many different ideas but legitimately just being too lazy to type it up or write it. And then overthinking it and thinking the idea would be better as a comic, and I know no comic artists *sob*

-Romance. Hate 'fake' romance so much, both writing and reading. I HATE when characters I like becoming simpering little idiots because "Oh he's so handsome." Like, no. Stop being desperate. Take off the baby pants. You were a strong independent woman before, why suddenly you become an idiot because he has HAIR?!

-Along those lines, people who fall in love and start dating and whatever without actually knowing eachother. If that happens it NEVER has a happy ending. Also every single trope that comes with that I hate hate hate. This is why I haven't read anything even though I love reading- everything is the freaking same and has romance and I don't care for poor romance. Six of Crows is probably the first "YA" book I've properly enjoyed in YEARS because the romance was genuine, not forced.

-But wait there's more- having a genuinely interesting plot that gets thrown out the window because of romance. *Cough ACOTAR cough* I could go on forever.

-Needing proper feedback and only getting a "It's pretty good." Tell me what you thought was weird! I didn't ask you for help for you to be nice. To be fair I always preface with a "It's a first draft" so they probably don't want to nitpick.

-Although basically all issues stem back to me being too lazy to write anything, and legit having universes in my mind that are begging to be written. End up writing four parts for a short prompt instead.

Edit for one last one: LGBT+ erasure (primarily bi, pan, and genders outside the binary) lack of a racially diverse cast. I've seen everyone be cis straight white 1000x too many. And then being told my cast is "too diverse and hard to keep track of." Excuse me?! How do you keep "blonde with blue eyes" and "blond with blue eyes" apart??
-Knowing the beginning and the end but never having a clue for the middle. Ever.

-Having so many different ideas but legitimately just being too lazy to type it up or write it. And then overthinking it and thinking the idea would be better as a comic, and I know no comic artists *sob*

-Romance. Hate 'fake' romance so much, both writing and reading. I HATE when characters I like becoming simpering little idiots because "Oh he's so handsome." Like, no. Stop being desperate. Take off the baby pants. You were a strong independent woman before, why suddenly you become an idiot because he has HAIR?!

-Along those lines, people who fall in love and start dating and whatever without actually knowing eachother. If that happens it NEVER has a happy ending. Also every single trope that comes with that I hate hate hate. This is why I haven't read anything even though I love reading- everything is the freaking same and has romance and I don't care for poor romance. Six of Crows is probably the first "YA" book I've properly enjoyed in YEARS because the romance was genuine, not forced.

-But wait there's more- having a genuinely interesting plot that gets thrown out the window because of romance. *Cough ACOTAR cough* I could go on forever.

-Needing proper feedback and only getting a "It's pretty good." Tell me what you thought was weird! I didn't ask you for help for you to be nice. To be fair I always preface with a "It's a first draft" so they probably don't want to nitpick.

-Although basically all issues stem back to me being too lazy to write anything, and legit having universes in my mind that are begging to be written. End up writing four parts for a short prompt instead.

Edit for one last one: LGBT+ erasure (primarily bi, pan, and genders outside the binary) lack of a racially diverse cast. I've seen everyone be cis straight white 1000x too many. And then being told my cast is "too diverse and hard to keep track of." Excuse me?! How do you keep "blonde with blue eyes" and "blond with blue eyes" apart??
Bro I'm just here for a good time || They/Them
It's more directed towards others. Don't tell me how to write. Sure, give me advice, since English is not my first language, but stop demanding. Never use adverbs or you will suffer for your next 20 reincarnations!!!!! Just don't.
It's more directed towards others. Don't tell me how to write. Sure, give me advice, since English is not my first language, but stop demanding. Never use adverbs or you will suffer for your next 20 reincarnations!!!!! Just don't.
light_small.png
Happiness can be found,
even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light.

light_small.png
1 2 3 4 5