Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Writer's Pet Peeves
1 2 3 4 5
I feel everything on this thread 100%
I feel everything on this thread 100%
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
When you continually use the same tropes so that five completely unrelated stories are similar enough that you could change the names of the characters and very little would be different.

Not knowing how - or when - to finish a story.

Writing yourself into a plot hole that you can't resolve.

Being unable to come up with a reason for your story to be happening. Why is the character dressing up like a bum and going undercover in New York City, again?

Having a wellspring of ideas in your brain and not wanting to write any of them down. Or when you do write them down, not getting past the first sentence.

When you continually use the same tropes so that five completely unrelated stories are similar enough that you could change the names of the characters and very little would be different.

Not knowing how - or when - to finish a story.

Writing yourself into a plot hole that you can't resolve.

Being unable to come up with a reason for your story to be happening. Why is the character dressing up like a bum and going undercover in New York City, again?

Having a wellspring of ideas in your brain and not wanting to write any of them down. Or when you do write them down, not getting past the first sentence.

Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
Telling someone an idea you have and they say you got it from another book/movie/tv show/game when you've never heard about it in your life.
Telling someone an idea you have and they say you got it from another book/movie/tv show/game when you've never heard about it in your life.
When you have to wait for inspiration to hit you because otherwise your ideas/plots wouldn't be good enough to be written down/you wouldn't know how to write them down. Does that make any sense?

That's the main reason why most of my dragons don't have a bio yet. I have general ideas about what personality they have, how they came to my clan et cetera. But I don't know how to put these ideas into a story. ;-;
When you have to wait for inspiration to hit you because otherwise your ideas/plots wouldn't be good enough to be written down/you wouldn't know how to write them down. Does that make any sense?

That's the main reason why most of my dragons don't have a bio yet. I have general ideas about what personality they have, how they came to my clan et cetera. But I don't know how to put these ideas into a story. ;-;
UoWLgkH.pngpkpi5Nx.png
I agree with all this stuff XD There are so many things that bug me.

A huge one is writing out a character you thing is great and then someone calls them a mary sue. But like no they aren't INVINCIBLE doing lots doesn't make them UNSTOPPABLE GAWD. People who generalize your hard worked characters and don't make the effort to understand them: that's what really gets me.

Also I hate when someone points out a plothole you didn't notice cuz it makes you feel dumb XD
I agree with all this stuff XD There are so many things that bug me.

A huge one is writing out a character you thing is great and then someone calls them a mary sue. But like no they aren't INVINCIBLE doing lots doesn't make them UNSTOPPABLE GAWD. People who generalize your hard worked characters and don't make the effort to understand them: that's what really gets me.

Also I hate when someone points out a plothole you didn't notice cuz it makes you feel dumb XD
Painting/drawing and writing being so disproportionate in deserving of praise. Hours of work slaving over a descriptive scene/short story/etc making sure there's no punctuation out of place and every word is perfect, only for the intended friend/client to have one of two reactions:

(a) What do those words mean?/It's too (insert simple word for complicated) I don't understand!

(b)It's okay I guess, 5K for it?

Why are words so undervalued?!
Painting/drawing and writing being so disproportionate in deserving of praise. Hours of work slaving over a descriptive scene/short story/etc making sure there's no punctuation out of place and every word is perfect, only for the intended friend/client to have one of two reactions:

(a) What do those words mean?/It's too (insert simple word for complicated) I don't understand!

(b)It's okay I guess, 5K for it?

Why are words so undervalued?!
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
@FableTheWolf I know what you mean. Sometimes when I make an oc or book character and show it to my friends, they almost always will rebuke it with another similar character. By now there are so many different movie/book/ect. Characters that there's bound to be one with similar attributes or past. This always makes designing character refusheets hard due to the constant criticism of your character being 'to general or over powered or over used or a typical cliche.' Especially with back stories, aaauuuuuggggh

@Avessa I know! I think I accidentally may have accidentally ripped off some newbies for lore when I opened a small lore shop a while back. I didn't check the prices, and realized to late that I had grossly over estimated. Writing lore/short stories is hard work and I personally think it should cost more. When I'm not writing for my own lair I'll but some from a user I know, who has very low prices for amazingly detailed stories. I know they mak e a lot of money from lowering prices but the quality is so good I'd gladly pay 30-50k per 1000 words rather than around 20k
@FableTheWolf I know what you mean. Sometimes when I make an oc or book character and show it to my friends, they almost always will rebuke it with another similar character. By now there are so many different movie/book/ect. Characters that there's bound to be one with similar attributes or past. This always makes designing character refusheets hard due to the constant criticism of your character being 'to general or over powered or over used or a typical cliche.' Especially with back stories, aaauuuuuggggh

@Avessa I know! I think I accidentally may have accidentally ripped off some newbies for lore when I opened a small lore shop a while back. I didn't check the prices, and realized to late that I had grossly over estimated. Writing lore/short stories is hard work and I personally think it should cost more. When I'm not writing for my own lair I'll but some from a user I know, who has very low prices for amazingly detailed stories. I know they mak e a lot of money from lowering prices but the quality is so good I'd gladly pay 30-50k per 1000 words rather than around 20k
ZzHMFvW.pngxtBt3oa.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvNuEX1r2ao8y_540.png
I really hate it when I write out a whole outline and then discover that I lack the drive to finish the story, it seems cliche, it seems like a terrible idea on second glance, etc. etc. etc.
I also hate it when I write anything, post it anywhere, and nobody says anything. No likes, no alerts, no nothing. It happens far too often.

Not a pet peeve relating to being an author, but a pet peeve relating to being someone who reads other people's writing.
When people focus on just the main character, human characters, and their POV, and generally ignore any non-human characters or reduce them to a plot point or just someone who approves of everything the main character does, unless it's convenient for the plot.
I really hate it when I write out a whole outline and then discover that I lack the drive to finish the story, it seems cliche, it seems like a terrible idea on second glance, etc. etc. etc.
I also hate it when I write anything, post it anywhere, and nobody says anything. No likes, no alerts, no nothing. It happens far too often.

Not a pet peeve relating to being an author, but a pet peeve relating to being someone who reads other people's writing.
When people focus on just the main character, human characters, and their POV, and generally ignore any non-human characters or reduce them to a plot point or just someone who approves of everything the main character does, unless it's convenient for the plot.
CEmLHw4.gif
Writer's block
Writer's block
2gzbgvt.png eq6zQ9M.png
AaYNmEX.png
rUoKR6y.png
ypcKWM0.png
when I have writers block and turn to FR and forget
when I have writers block and turn to FR and forget
1 2 3 4 5