Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Writer's Pet Peeves
1 2 3 4 5
Directed at myself:

- When I have the motivation to write and all the right ideas, but then I ultimately end up staring at an empty word document for hours because I can't think of a decent way to begin.

- When I can't get my dialogue to feel right.

Directed at others:

- My only real pet peeve with other's writing is when people refer to gemstones when describing eye colour. It's a cliche that has got to go.
Directed at myself:

- When I have the motivation to write and all the right ideas, but then I ultimately end up staring at an empty word document for hours because I can't think of a decent way to begin.

- When I can't get my dialogue to feel right.

Directed at others:

- My only real pet peeve with other's writing is when people refer to gemstones when describing eye colour. It's a cliche that has got to go.
Amory (or Mo) | b.1994 | Bi | they/he
When two of my characters have the same traits.

When the beginning of my story is beautifully written and shows I put a lot of care into it, and then the last part of it is complete and utter trash and everyone can notice that I was literally dying when writing it.

When the music playlist I'm listening to clashes against the scene I'm writing and then has the audacity to get suddenly LOUDER AND MORE INTENSE.

When all my boy names start with "W" because Wilson and Wesley are pretty names and no I won't change it.
When two of my characters have the same traits.

When the beginning of my story is beautifully written and shows I put a lot of care into it, and then the last part of it is complete and utter trash and everyone can notice that I was literally dying when writing it.

When the music playlist I'm listening to clashes against the scene I'm writing and then has the audacity to get suddenly LOUDER AND MORE INTENSE.

When all my boy names start with "W" because Wilson and Wesley are pretty names and no I won't change it.
When someone shoves an image/piece of art in a writers face and says for them to write something based on what they are showing them /mainly fan fic related/

If they(or even I) want to write something based on an image they've seen, they will. Don't expect them to though! That be like me watching you make a bowl of cereal then shoving a cook book in your face requesting that you make me Flan~
---
@skedaddlejax

Oops... *hides the character I have that are described to have "Emerald green eyes" (but I normally write it more artfully in the form of "Deep green" or "Soft/Hard green"-this is depending on their expression though-)
When someone shoves an image/piece of art in a writers face and says for them to write something based on what they are showing them /mainly fan fic related/

If they(or even I) want to write something based on an image they've seen, they will. Don't expect them to though! That be like me watching you make a bowl of cereal then shoving a cook book in your face requesting that you make me Flan~
---
@skedaddlejax

Oops... *hides the character I have that are described to have "Emerald green eyes" (but I normally write it more artfully in the form of "Deep green" or "Soft/Hard green"-this is depending on their expression though-)
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
@BeeFuzz

lol yeah, I'll forgive you. I think I have more of an issue if it's done repetitively in the same work. Or I've even seen it sometimes where someone will describe two characters within a few paragraphs of each other and use the gemstone method in both instances.
@BeeFuzz

lol yeah, I'll forgive you. I think I have more of an issue if it's done repetitively in the same work. Or I've even seen it sometimes where someone will describe two characters within a few paragraphs of each other and use the gemstone method in both instances.
Amory (or Mo) | b.1994 | Bi | they/he
Trying your hardest not to repeat character actions.
Trying your hardest not to repeat character actions.
@skedaddlejax

Haha, yay!~

It does get a wee bit annoying though, I'll agree...

---

Also; when a writer throws unnecessary Japanese terms into a story (I don't mind things like Sensei), but don't go throwing in thing predominantly English... (Mostly in Naruto and Bleach fics when it is abused.)
@skedaddlejax

Haha, yay!~

It does get a wee bit annoying though, I'll agree...

---

Also; when a writer throws unnecessary Japanese terms into a story (I don't mind things like Sensei), but don't go throwing in thing predominantly English... (Mostly in Naruto and Bleach fics when it is abused.)
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
when it's 3 in the morning and you're on a kick and actually getting stuff done until, because it's 3 am, you forget the word you wanted and the 20 minutes you have to spend on thesaurus dot com snuff out your winning streak and you can't push another well-crafted sentence out to save your life.

this is really specific but i'm hurt.
when it's 3 in the morning and you're on a kick and actually getting stuff done until, because it's 3 am, you forget the word you wanted and the 20 minutes you have to spend on thesaurus dot com snuff out your winning streak and you can't push another well-crafted sentence out to save your life.

this is really specific but i'm hurt.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
writer's block (shudders)

When you know the beginning and end of the story, but can't seem to find a decent way to plow through the middle

Allowing others to see your rough drafts and have them point out how similar a character is to [x] from another series. Someone compared one of my protags to a Warrior Cats character after - get this - three lines of dialogue. I don't know about you, but I'd say that they're hopping to conclusions. Plus, I plan on making my characters more well-developed than most Warriors ones.

Constantly rewriting that first chapter to make it JUST RIGHT.

Seeing flaws in your work and always feeling dissatisfied with them, despite the fact that everybody else says it's great.

Those idiots who say that you can't make a living writing. [RANT TIME] Evidently, they haven't walked into a bookstore ever. Sure, very few make it to J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin status, but many folks still manage to make a cozy living off of books. Thousands, even - just walk into any library and you'll see. [END RANT]
writer's block (shudders)

When you know the beginning and end of the story, but can't seem to find a decent way to plow through the middle

Allowing others to see your rough drafts and have them point out how similar a character is to [x] from another series. Someone compared one of my protags to a Warrior Cats character after - get this - three lines of dialogue. I don't know about you, but I'd say that they're hopping to conclusions. Plus, I plan on making my characters more well-developed than most Warriors ones.

Constantly rewriting that first chapter to make it JUST RIGHT.

Seeing flaws in your work and always feeling dissatisfied with them, despite the fact that everybody else says it's great.

Those idiots who say that you can't make a living writing. [RANT TIME] Evidently, they haven't walked into a bookstore ever. Sure, very few make it to J.K. Rowling or George R.R. Martin status, but many folks still manage to make a cozy living off of books. Thousands, even - just walk into any library and you'll see. [END RANT]
oZSMaBu.png "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
they/them
tumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo6_75sq.pngtumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo5_75sq.png
[/code]
Oh, and I have more - mostly with common writing tropes, though.

Trying to get the pacing of a scene just right. It's easy for me to do with dialogue, but when it's just action, it's hard. AUGH.

People always inserting humans into things or making humans the source of conflict. [RANT] It severely pisses me off that practically every dragon story has humans in it in some way or another - that's why my story has zero humans. Never existed, don't exist, and never will. I will curl up and die when I see all of the inevitable Human AUs. Why do we have such an obsession with inserting ourselves into things? A character doesn't need to be human to be relatable.

Also, humanlike aliens - or any sci-fi story that has a lot to do with a human/alien conflict. If the aliens are so desperate for resources, they'll go mine the bountiful asteroids or deserted planets, not go to the ONE PLANET with intelligent life and destroy it all. Also, the possibility of them being anything like us is incredibly slim. Thumbs, sure. Digitigrade / anthropomorphic, sure. But green-skinned humans who are incredibly beautiful? Nope, nada, nothing. [ENDRANT]

Female characters who HAVE to be in a romantic setting in order to have any sort of development. Yeah, that has no place in my books either.

Young kids going on adventures, killing OTHER PEOPLE, getting grievous injuries, then just picking themselves back up again and acting like it never happened. Sorry, but the plot armor there is too noticeable - and why does every practically every author dismiss death like killing NPCs in a video game? Real people would likely feel trauma and loss. Plus, you're sending an eleven-year-old on an epic quest that most adults can't handle. I don't care if they're the 'Chosen One', but they shouldn't be able to survive that.

Prophecies and Chosen One stuff. That trope can go die in a hole. A few times, it's used well, but for the most part.... eugh.
Oh, and I have more - mostly with common writing tropes, though.

Trying to get the pacing of a scene just right. It's easy for me to do with dialogue, but when it's just action, it's hard. AUGH.

People always inserting humans into things or making humans the source of conflict. [RANT] It severely pisses me off that practically every dragon story has humans in it in some way or another - that's why my story has zero humans. Never existed, don't exist, and never will. I will curl up and die when I see all of the inevitable Human AUs. Why do we have such an obsession with inserting ourselves into things? A character doesn't need to be human to be relatable.

Also, humanlike aliens - or any sci-fi story that has a lot to do with a human/alien conflict. If the aliens are so desperate for resources, they'll go mine the bountiful asteroids or deserted planets, not go to the ONE PLANET with intelligent life and destroy it all. Also, the possibility of them being anything like us is incredibly slim. Thumbs, sure. Digitigrade / anthropomorphic, sure. But green-skinned humans who are incredibly beautiful? Nope, nada, nothing. [ENDRANT]

Female characters who HAVE to be in a romantic setting in order to have any sort of development. Yeah, that has no place in my books either.

Young kids going on adventures, killing OTHER PEOPLE, getting grievous injuries, then just picking themselves back up again and acting like it never happened. Sorry, but the plot armor there is too noticeable - and why does every practically every author dismiss death like killing NPCs in a video game? Real people would likely feel trauma and loss. Plus, you're sending an eleven-year-old on an epic quest that most adults can't handle. I don't care if they're the 'Chosen One', but they shouldn't be able to survive that.

Prophecies and Chosen One stuff. That trope can go die in a hole. A few times, it's used well, but for the most part.... eugh.
oZSMaBu.png "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
they/them
tumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo6_75sq.pngtumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo5_75sq.png
[/code]
Wrist pain.
I write for everything, and being physically incapable of doing what I most want to do and what I need to do to be able to pay for rent/food/life is so incredibly frustrating.
Wrist pain.
I write for everything, and being physically incapable of doing what I most want to do and what I need to do to be able to pay for rent/food/life is so incredibly frustrating.
DOjF2sA.pngveAGxvx.gif
1 2 3 4 5