Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Making Skins/Accents in GIMP
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
@Klomonx
Hello! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering - do I need to do this if I'm using GIMP 2.8?

Quote:
Saving Accents:

When you are DONE with your skin/accent, you will need to save it in a particular manner. Tick off the body parts layers, so that only your accent, the shading, and the lines are visible. You can even delete these layers, if you feel it's too cluttered. You will have to erase the linework that isn't being used manually. On the layer where you've drawn your accent, right click the layer and select Alpha to Selection. Then select the Linework and erase the part you have not selected (ie the part not contained by your accent).
Merge the lines, shadows, and accent layers in a top-down manner, so the layer on top is merged with the one below it. Delete the invisible layers once all the others have been merged. Go to 'File' > 'Save as...' and save it as a .png.
@Klomonx
Hello! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering - do I need to do this if I'm using GIMP 2.8?

Quote:
Saving Accents:

When you are DONE with your skin/accent, you will need to save it in a particular manner. Tick off the body parts layers, so that only your accent, the shading, and the lines are visible. You can even delete these layers, if you feel it's too cluttered. You will have to erase the linework that isn't being used manually. On the layer where you've drawn your accent, right click the layer and select Alpha to Selection. Then select the Linework and erase the part you have not selected (ie the part not contained by your accent).
Merge the lines, shadows, and accent layers in a top-down manner, so the layer on top is merged with the one below it. Delete the invisible layers once all the others have been merged. Go to 'File' > 'Save as...' and save it as a .png.
Matcha.png
@Aeia

It's no problem! Had to open GIMP and run through my directions. This tutorial is years old at this point and I need to update it, as I've long since been forced to move to 2.8 [as begrudgingly as possible] for some time now.

But! Your question, yes you have to erase the lineart and shadows that you do not use manually.
Right click the layer your accent is on, select ALPHA TO SELECTION. Now that it's highlighted, click the 'Shadows' layer. Go to EDIT>CLEAR. If it erased the shadows in your accent, undo and Control+I [Select>Invert] to invert the selection. Do the same with the lineart.
You'll want to make any of the skin parts invisible.
Hope this helps!
@Aeia

It's no problem! Had to open GIMP and run through my directions. This tutorial is years old at this point and I need to update it, as I've long since been forced to move to 2.8 [as begrudgingly as possible] for some time now.

But! Your question, yes you have to erase the lineart and shadows that you do not use manually.
Right click the layer your accent is on, select ALPHA TO SELECTION. Now that it's highlighted, click the 'Shadows' layer. Go to EDIT>CLEAR. If it erased the shadows in your accent, undo and Control+I [Select>Invert] to invert the selection. Do the same with the lineart.
You'll want to make any of the skin parts invisible.
Hope this helps!
@Klomonx Ahh ok, thank you!! I did everything, is this how its suppose to look like in the end? [img]https://s22.postimg.cc/7mk81gjtd/Capture.jpg[/img]
@Klomonx

Ahh ok, thank you!!

I did everything, is this how its suppose to look like in the end?

Capture.jpg
Matcha.png
@Aeia

Yup! Make sure the 'shadows' layer is set to Multiply.
@Aeia

Yup! Make sure the 'shadows' layer is set to Multiply.
@Klomonx
Ok, thank you so much for all your help! :D

EDIT: How do I make it multiply? nvm found it :)
@Klomonx
Ok, thank you so much for all your help! :D

EDIT: How do I make it multiply? nvm found it :)
Matcha.png
Oh goodness I don't have a Ping list but I've just overhauled this entire tutorial for 2019 and the 2.10.8 version of GIMP!
I hope though the process seems long, they are clear and to the point. Please feel free to contact me with any GIMP questions.
Oh goodness I don't have a Ping list but I've just overhauled this entire tutorial for 2019 and the 2.10.8 version of GIMP!
I hope though the process seems long, they are clear and to the point. Please feel free to contact me with any GIMP questions.
@Alastriona1 pinging myself to try this out
@Alastriona1 pinging myself to try this out
4G1L5Tv.gifuFV2wbJ.gifw8o0xW1.png
Now THIS is why I subscribed to the thred :D
@Klomonx Thank you so much!! You're the one that made it possible I could join in this skin contest.
Now THIS is why I subscribed to the thred :D
@Klomonx Thank you so much!! You're the one that made it possible I could join in this skin contest.
50316481p.png
FR +9 G1 collector Wishlist AvatarAdoptables
@BraveEguana

You're so welcome! Thank you for your patience with getting the tutorial updated, and I hope you get selected! Good luck!
@BraveEguana

You're so welcome! Thank you for your patience with getting the tutorial updated, and I hope you get selected! Good luck!
@Redspike944 Pinging myself, thank you for this guide! [emoji=tundra happy size=2]
@Redspike944 Pinging myself, thank you for this guide!
hVHlIic.png "Another donut! Extra sprinkles!" - Spike, The Best Night Ever (My Little Pony Season 1, Episode 26)
She/Her/Any - Loves:
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12