Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Making Skins/Accents in GIMP
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
@Klomonx @Anuacyl

In Gimp 2.8, when I attempt to make an accent, my drawing doesn't show up at all. I've made certain that the layers are visible and I've also checked all other issues that I could think of. The thumbnail in the layer menu shows the lines that I'm drawing, but on the actual image itself, the canvas on which I'm working, remains blank.
@Klomonx @Anuacyl

In Gimp 2.8, when I attempt to make an accent, my drawing doesn't show up at all. I've made certain that the layers are visible and I've also checked all other issues that I could think of. The thumbnail in the layer menu shows the lines that I'm drawing, but on the actual image itself, the canvas on which I'm working, remains blank.
( please don't look, i am shy )
@damiens

the only thing that comes to mind is two things. First is to make sure it's visible.. which you said you did. So all that leaves me with is to make sure the layer you want to draw on is the selected layer. Perhaps make sure it's not alpha locked on that layer as well. After that I've got nothing..
@damiens

the only thing that comes to mind is two things. First is to make sure it's visible.. which you said you did. So all that leaves me with is to make sure the layer you want to draw on is the selected layer. Perhaps make sure it's not alpha locked on that layer as well. After that I've got nothing..
button.png raffle5.png
@Anuacyl How can I be sure it's not alpha locked? If that's not it, then I'll probably just look for a new program.
@Anuacyl How can I be sure it's not alpha locked? If that's not it, then I'll probably just look for a new program.
@damiens
Ctrl+L to open your layer dialog.
Click one of those layers, preferably the one you're working on. In that layer dialog there should be a little checkered square with a checkmark box next to it. If there's a check/x then it's alpha locked. Simply click this box to unlock it.
Also! Can you screencap your work area? We might see a detail you don't. You can upload it to Snaggy
@damiens
Ctrl+L to open your layer dialog.
Click one of those layers, preferably the one you're working on. In that layer dialog there should be a little checkered square with a checkmark box next to it. If there's a check/x then it's alpha locked. Simply click this box to unlock it.
Also! Can you screencap your work area? We might see a detail you don't. You can upload it to Snaggy
Pinging myself to find this again more easily! I've been playing around with the files in GIMP but didn't know if I was doing it right, so I have never been super serious about trying to make my own accents. Thanks for the help! @LadyTroubadour
Pinging myself to find this again more easily! I've been playing around with the files in GIMP but didn't know if I was doing it right, so I have never been super serious about trying to make my own accents. Thanks for the help! @LadyTroubadour
K7VDc51.png
A life is a journey, a journey is a story, a story is a treasure. (Motto of Clan Troubadour)

*I send and am happy to receive in character PMs!*
tumblr_ntz8d7CUWK1ueyht5o1_100.png
@Damiens @Klomonx

I didn't know about the ctrl+L (though I do know most of the shortcuts), In 2.8 there's not a checkmark box by the layer for alpha lock (though it is checkered like he described). Look right beneath the Opacity bar (opacity controls the transparency if you didn't already know. 100% opacity is solid, 0% opacity is invisible). There is a paintbrush and a square that is checkered. if the layer is alpha locked the checkered square will have a dark square around it.

Also check that the opacity is at 100%, if it's lowered down real low it could do what you were describing and make sure the layer mode is set to "normal". You can alter these later if you wish to obtain desired effects after you've finished adding to the layer.

The only time I lower the opacity any while still working on a layer (when I color usually) is when I'm adding the shadows to an image, so that I can see the areas being shaded and the shade.
@Damiens @Klomonx

I didn't know about the ctrl+L (though I do know most of the shortcuts), In 2.8 there's not a checkmark box by the layer for alpha lock (though it is checkered like he described). Look right beneath the Opacity bar (opacity controls the transparency if you didn't already know. 100% opacity is solid, 0% opacity is invisible). There is a paintbrush and a square that is checkered. if the layer is alpha locked the checkered square will have a dark square around it.

Also check that the opacity is at 100%, if it's lowered down real low it could do what you were describing and make sure the layer mode is set to "normal". You can alter these later if you wish to obtain desired effects after you've finished adding to the layer.

The only time I lower the opacity any while still working on a layer (when I color usually) is when I'm adding the shadows to an image, so that I can see the areas being shaded and the shade.
button.png raffle5.png
@damiens

A belated thought but. 1. if the opacity is too low, you can raise it by either highlighting the numbers and typing in 100 then pressing enter. Or you can click and drag towards the right side of your screen. 2. Is the layer group visible? That the eye is open next to the group that your layer is under. If everything is set fine and you're still having troubles I'd have to see a screenshot or a sniped (sniping tool) image of your layers dialog to guess on anything else.
If you do take a sniped image, be sure to have the layer you're working on selected so that we can see the specifics of that layer's settings.
@damiens

A belated thought but. 1. if the opacity is too low, you can raise it by either highlighting the numbers and typing in 100 then pressing enter. Or you can click and drag towards the right side of your screen. 2. Is the layer group visible? That the eye is open next to the group that your layer is under. If everything is set fine and you're still having troubles I'd have to see a screenshot or a sniped (sniping tool) image of your layers dialog to guess on anything else.
If you do take a sniped image, be sure to have the layer you're working on selected so that we can see the specifics of that layer's settings.
button.png raffle5.png
@Klomonx @Anuacyl

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I could've sworn that yesterday I quadruple checked to make sure that the opacity was all the way up, but this morning while taking screenshots I noticed that, well.... It wasn't.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for causing so much trouble! Everything works now, haha (´à¹‘•_•à¹‘)
@Klomonx @Anuacyl

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I could've sworn that yesterday I quadruple checked to make sure that the opacity was all the way up, but this morning while taking screenshots I noticed that, well.... It wasn't.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for causing so much trouble! Everything works now, haha (´à¹‘•_•à¹‘)
@Klomonx
The thing is, GIMP does not support making PNG-24s with transparency. All the PNGs it makes are PNG-32. Are accents and skins made this way still accepted?
@Klomonx
The thing is, GIMP does not support making PNG-24s with transparency. All the PNGs it makes are PNG-32. Are accents and skins made this way still accepted?
pepis_by_minecr_aft-dbxskxp.gif

• Marc • he/him • Iban Peranakan • FR -02:00 / UTC -10:00, no DST •
Former Earth Dom Organization Council

1sAnyd1.gif
bisexual_pride_by_my_world_is_split-dbjdpzj.png

03XKUqf.png
@Neoven8tr
Yes, as far as I know.
@Neoven8tr
Yes, as far as I know.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12