Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Making Skins/Accents in GIMP
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
This is a bump! I am still here, please PING me for any GIMP help!
This is a bump! I am still here, please PING me for any GIMP help!
@Klomonx

Tryin to make a skin on GIMP, and I'm just wondering if there's a method to paint over a few of the layers--such as coloring over both the body and the wings instead of just the wings.
I haven't used GIMP at all for quite a long time. And... obviously I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.:'D;;

But seriously, help. I'm dying.

This did help a little though. Thank you.
@Klomonx

Tryin to make a skin on GIMP, and I'm just wondering if there's a method to paint over a few of the layers--such as coloring over both the body and the wings instead of just the wings.
I haven't used GIMP at all for quite a long time. And... obviously I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.:'D;;

But seriously, help. I'm dying.

This did help a little though. Thank you.
eWkE3vN.gif
@DarkBrosInc

Alpha Locking the layers will help a little.
Ctrl+L to open the Layer dialog, select the layer you want and make sure this little square is checked on the dialog. That keeps it so you only color on that layer.

https://gyazo.com/c9836a967e652c51fdf5da09bf60defe
The gray square with the..other..gray squares.
@DarkBrosInc

Alpha Locking the layers will help a little.
Ctrl+L to open the Layer dialog, select the layer you want and make sure this little square is checked on the dialog. That keeps it so you only color on that layer.

https://gyazo.com/c9836a967e652c51fdf5da09bf60defe
The gray square with the..other..gray squares.
@Klomonx
Super useful!!

Just started using this program after having problems with Illustrator.
Still, when I save the image after merging all visible layers I can still see all the lines... Shouldn't they be seen only where there is the accent that I made? o.o

Updated with image, see? The lines shouldn't be there...?

img
@Klomonx
Super useful!!

Just started using this program after having problems with Illustrator.
Still, when I save the image after merging all visible layers I can still see all the lines... Shouldn't they be seen only where there is the accent that I made? o.o

Updated with image, see? The lines shouldn't be there...?

img
water_3.png she/her
00:00 - 14:00 FR time
Joined FR 5 years ago

Accent Shopbaronstar.png
@Atlasia
Thank you!
You have to delete the lines you do not use manually.
@Atlasia
Thank you!
You have to delete the lines you do not use manually.
@Klomonx

Uh, it seems simple enough xD thank you!! :)
@Klomonx

Uh, it seems simple enough xD thank you!! :)
water_3.png she/her
Joined FR 5 years ago

Accent Shopbaronstar.png
@Atlasia

To do that, follow my steps in the 2.6 tutorial for Saving Accents, :)
Quote:
When you are DONE with your skin/accent, you will need to save it in a particular manner. Tick off the body parts layers, so that only your accent, the shading, and the lines are visible. You can even delete these layers, if you feel it's too cluttered. You will have to erase the linework that isn't being used manually. On the layer where you've drawn your accent, right click the layer and select Alpha to Selection. Then select the Linework and erase the part you have not selected (ie the part not contained by your accent).
Merge the lines, shadows, and accent layers in a top-down manner, so the layer on top is merged with the one below it. Delete the invisible layers once all the others have been merged. Go to 'File' > 'Save as...' and save it as a .png.
@Atlasia

To do that, follow my steps in the 2.6 tutorial for Saving Accents, :)
Quote:
When you are DONE with your skin/accent, you will need to save it in a particular manner. Tick off the body parts layers, so that only your accent, the shading, and the lines are visible. You can even delete these layers, if you feel it's too cluttered. You will have to erase the linework that isn't being used manually. On the layer where you've drawn your accent, right click the layer and select Alpha to Selection. Then select the Linework and erase the part you have not selected (ie the part not contained by your accent).
Merge the lines, shadows, and accent layers in a top-down manner, so the layer on top is merged with the one below it. Delete the invisible layers once all the others have been merged. Go to 'File' > 'Save as...' and save it as a .png.
@Klomonx
Perfect, got it!! Thank you for being patient ^w^ enjoy Shadow's time.
@Klomonx
Perfect, got it!! Thank you for being patient ^w^ enjoy Shadow's time.
water_3.png she/her
Joined FR 5 years ago

Accent Shopbaronstar.png
@Atlasia

No problem! I am here to help!
You too!
@Atlasia

No problem! I am here to help!
You too!
@Klomonx

So basically I finish drawing the accent and then delete the extra lines?
@Klomonx

So basically I finish drawing the accent and then delete the extra lines?
a8yeK5l.png FR time +3 OOf4SrF.gif
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12