Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Price dumping on newly released breeds
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Comparing the labor between breeding dragons to making art is genuinely baffling. Like I've got breeding pairs that I list for just a smidge above fodder price and most of them don't sell and I just take that L and use them for fodder because I might as well. It takes little to no effort on my part. Making art or writing lore is something that takes skill, genuine labor, and fair compensation when doing a commission, because that's how A Job works. What is going on here.
Comparing the labor between breeding dragons to making art is genuinely baffling. Like I've got breeding pairs that I list for just a smidge above fodder price and most of them don't sell and I just take that L and use them for fodder because I might as well. It takes little to no effort on my part. Making art or writing lore is something that takes skill, genuine labor, and fair compensation when doing a commission, because that's how A Job works. What is going on here.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2023-12-26 07:02:44" ] [quote name="Ogerpon" date="2023-12-26 06:58:11" ] Literally everyone got two Auraboas for free, why should they remain "expensive" [/quote] That's more about when "unmatchie basic" sold for fodder price more people start demand that any dragon should costs no more then fodder floor. (and probably lots of players are really happy buy ugly to dress it like xmass tree (but this not applicable to ancient mostly) and more breeders thus start just "get one dragon for their colection. Not trying make pair to share this combo with anyone) [/quote] As a breeder, I am very happy to receive such an answer! I am very upset that I am advised to invest a lot of money so that I can then give away hatch for the price of fodder. But for some reason, on the contrary, it doesn't work that way - I can't buy two dragons with rare genes for the price of fodder! Moreover, sometimes I can't buy a dragon generally, breeders no longer deal with suitable dragons. Example: coatl pearl-pearl-mist/lavender with genes petals/butterfly.
Alkhor wrote on 2023-12-26 07:02:44:
Ogerpon wrote on 2023-12-26 06:58:11:
Literally everyone got two Auraboas for free, why should they remain "expensive"

That's more about when "unmatchie basic" sold for fodder price more people start demand that any dragon should costs no more then fodder floor.
(and probably lots of players are really happy buy ugly to dress it like xmass tree (but this not applicable to ancient mostly) and more breeders thus start just "get one dragon for their colection. Not trying make pair to share this combo with anyone)
As a breeder, I am very happy to receive such an answer! I am very upset that I am advised to invest a lot of money so that I can then give away hatch for the price of fodder. But for some reason, on the contrary, it doesn't work that way - I can't buy two dragons with rare genes for the price of fodder! Moreover, sometimes I can't buy a dragon generally, breeders no longer deal with suitable dragons. Example: coatl pearl-pearl-mist/lavender with genes petals/butterfly.
[quote name="Pantsbians" date="2023-12-26 07:12:23" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] This right here, and, as for the artist & skin maker example: learning to draw, write, craft, etc. takes a whole lot of work and is an *entirely* different skill set to breeding dragons. When you pay for art, you're [i]paying for that skill[/i]-- if you put a pencil and paper in front of someone who's never drawn and in front of someone who's drawn every day for twenty years, you're going to get different results, whereas if you gave the same breeding pair to a new FR player and someone who's been here since 2013, you may very well get the [i]exact same hatchlings[/i] with minimal input. Frankly, the artist comparison is a little insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be. [/quote] thank you for putting this into words, i wasn't sure how to voice how this rubbed me the wrong way. making art takes physical labor. it's a difficult skill to learn and takes a lot of real time and effort. it's not even vaguely a fair comparison. anyway. ive bought permas for fodder price and bought permas for 300g. it depends on the dragon, what i'm looking for, and how much i have to spend at the moment. i price most of my hatchlings at 30g/kt and they rarely sell; that's fine, i just use them as free fodder. you cant change the way other people play the game.
Pantsbians wrote on 2023-12-26 07:12:23:
Ais wrote on 2023-12-26 06:45:59:
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 05:35:04:
Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive?
Or is this just the case with breeders?
Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not supposed to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here.
This right here, and, as for the artist & skin maker example: learning to draw, write, craft, etc. takes a whole lot of work and is an *entirely* different skill set to breeding dragons. When you pay for art, you're paying for that skill-- if you put a pencil and paper in front of someone who's never drawn and in front of someone who's drawn every day for twenty years, you're going to get different results, whereas if you gave the same breeding pair to a new FR player and someone who's been here since 2013, you may very well get the exact same hatchlings with minimal input.
Frankly, the artist comparison is a little insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be.

thank you for putting this into words, i wasn't sure how to voice how this rubbed me the wrong way. making art takes physical labor. it's a difficult skill to learn and takes a lot of real time and effort. it's not even vaguely a fair comparison.

anyway. ive bought permas for fodder price and bought permas for 300g. it depends on the dragon, what i'm looking for, and how much i have to spend at the moment. i price most of my hatchlings at 30g/kt and they rarely sell; that's fine, i just use them as free fodder. you cant change the way other people play the game.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
[quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:17:52" ] [quote name="Alkhor" date="2023-12-26 07:02:44" ] [quote name="Ogerpon" date="2023-12-26 06:58:11" ] Literally everyone got two Auraboas for free, why should they remain "expensive" [/quote] That's more about when "unmatchie basic" sold for fodder price more people start demand that any dragon should costs no more then fodder floor. (and probably lots of players are really happy buy ugly to dress it like xmass tree (but this not applicable to ancient mostly) and more breeders thus start just "get one dragon for their colection. Not trying make pair to share this combo with anyone) [/quote] As a breeder, I am very happy to receive such an answer! I am very upset that I am advised to invest a lot of money so that I can then give away hatch for the price of fodder. But for some reason, on the contrary, it doesn't work that way - I can't buy two dragons with rare genes for the price of fodder! Moreover, sometimes I can't buy a dragon generally, breeders no longer deal with suitable dragons. Example: coatl pearl-pearl-mist/lavender with genes petals/butterfly. [/quote] But no one is making you give away dragons? The suggestion is that selling 10 hatchlings at 15-20kt/ea works out the same as 1 hatchling at 150-200kt.
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 07:17:52:
Alkhor wrote on 2023-12-26 07:02:44:
Ogerpon wrote on 2023-12-26 06:58:11:
Literally everyone got two Auraboas for free, why should they remain "expensive"

That's more about when "unmatchie basic" sold for fodder price more people start demand that any dragon should costs no more then fodder floor.
(and probably lots of players are really happy buy ugly to dress it like xmass tree (but this not applicable to ancient mostly) and more breeders thus start just "get one dragon for their colection. Not trying make pair to share this combo with anyone)
As a breeder, I am very happy to receive such an answer! I am very upset that I am advised to invest a lot of money so that I can then give away hatch for the price of fodder. But for some reason, on the contrary, it doesn't work that way - I can't buy two dragons with rare genes for the price of fodder! Moreover, sometimes I can't buy a dragon generally, breeders no longer deal with suitable dragons. Example: coatl pearl-pearl-mist/lavender with genes petals/butterfly.
But no one is making you give away dragons?

The suggestion is that selling 10 hatchlings at 15-20kt/ea works out the same as 1 hatchling at 150-200kt.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Fearfully stepping around the middle discussion, the answer to “what’s with this strategy” is I don’t have one, and I don’t care that much about profiting in the short term with breeding pairs at all! My reward is a successful breeding pair that make the dragons I want, I’m motivated by the project, not the profits :3
Fearfully stepping around the middle discussion, the answer to “what’s with this strategy” is I don’t have one, and I don’t care that much about profiting in the short term with breeding pairs at all! My reward is a successful breeding pair that make the dragons I want, I’m motivated by the project, not the profits :3
Statues! Click to help make more!
[quote name="Pantsbians" date="2023-12-26 07:12:23" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] This right here, and, as for the artist & skin maker example: learning to draw, write, craft, etc. takes a whole lot of work and is an *entirely* different skill set to breeding dragons. When you pay for art, you're [i]paying for that skill[/i]-- if you put a pencil and paper in front of someone who's never drawn and in front of someone who's drawn every day for twenty years, you're going to get different results, whereas if you gave the same breeding pair to a new FR player and someone who's been here since 2013, you may very well get the [i]exact same hatchlings[/i] with minimal input. Frankly, the artist comparison is a little insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be. [/quote] I draw a little myself, but not digitally, I use oil or pastel. And I often came across the phrases "You enjoyed painting, so what else is there to pay for?". I am sure that every artist has heard this phrase at least once. That's why I compared it, remembering my own sad experience. They say, "It doesn't cost you anything to draw, what do you pay for? You already have the skills, you don't waste them. On the contrary, you're just training!"
Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive?
Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not supposed to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here.
This right here, and, as for the artist & skin maker example: learning to draw, write, craft, etc. takes a whole lot of work and is an *entirely* different skill set to breeding dragons. When you pay for art, you're paying for that skill-- if you put a pencil and paper in front of someone who's never drawn and in front of someone who's drawn every day for twenty years, you're going to get different results, whereas if you gave the same breeding pair to a new FR player and someone who's been here since 2013, you may very well get the exact same hatchlings with minimal input.
Frankly, the artist comparison is a little insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be.
I draw a little myself, but not digitally, I use oil or pastel. And I often came across the phrases "You enjoyed painting, so what else is there to pay for?". I am sure that every artist has heard this phrase at least once. That's why I compared it, remembering my own sad experience. They say, "It doesn't cost you anything to draw, what do you pay for? You already have the skills, you don't waste them. On the contrary, you're just training!"
[quote name="Almedha" date="2023-12-26 07:15:21" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:06:08" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] Lor for other dragons is also written to order and sold. Moreover, the selection of the outfit is also available to order! Yes, people profit from this too. If there is a demand, there will be a service. So you've made a bit of a mistake here :) [/quote] Ais did say writing lore for their dragons, meaning I'm not making any currency writing lore for my own dragon. So. I'm afraid in this case you've made the mistake. But either way, they're still right. Writing lore isn't profitable. As you questioned earlier, are artists told to sell their art for less because we do it for fun? Yes. :) [i]Especially[/i] writers. When I write for people outside of FR, I charge $.14/word. If we were to use the regular conversion from Art Sales threads, that's 14/g a word - which is what I'd charge to write lore, if I wanted to [i]profit[/i]. You want to guess how many bios I've sold at that price? If you guessed zero, then you're correct. I can't even sell a bio at 1g/word - which is what I do charge. But to no one's surprise, nobody is willing to pay over 1kg for a bio [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17556184]like this[/url]. But in order to profit (that is, to make more currency than it would cost me), that's what I have to charge. But nobody buys that. So lots of people make the decision that selling something for less is better than selling nothing for more. Same situation with hatchlings. It's a choice in the same way it's not a choice. If someone told me to charge less if I wanted to sell, they'd be absolutely right. The only difference is that with dragons you buy from hatcheries and whatnot, people actually do buy specially-bred dragons for 50kt or whatever is considered an appropriate price. It just takes time. People who sell for less are trading that time for currency: that is, they'll take less now for more later. Because every dragon theoretically, eventually, sells. I once held onto a G1 for three years before it sold. But it did sell. Eventually. [/quote] What can I say? Just a great job! This must undoubtedly be expensive. I have not yet reached the stage of writing the lore of dragons, I want to do it after NotN. Therefore, I can really appreciate how cool it is written and designed. Such a dragon immediately attracts attention!
Almedha wrote on 2023-12-26 07:15:21:
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 07:06:08:
Lor for other dragons is also written to order and sold. Moreover, the selection of the outfit is also available to order! Yes, people profit from this too. If there is a demand, there will be a service. So you've made a bit of a mistake here :)
Ais did say writing lore for their dragons, meaning I'm not making any currency writing lore for my own dragon. So. I'm afraid in this case you've made the mistake.

But either way, they're still right. Writing lore isn't profitable. As you questioned earlier, are artists told to sell their art for less because we do it for fun? Yes. :) Especially writers. When I write for people outside of FR, I charge $.14/word. If we were to use the regular conversion from Art Sales threads, that's 14/g a word - which is what I'd charge to write lore, if I wanted to profit. You want to guess how many bios I've sold at that price?

If you guessed zero, then you're correct. I can't even sell a bio at 1g/word - which is what I do charge. But to no one's surprise, nobody is willing to pay over 1kg for a bio like this. But in order to profit (that is, to make more currency than it would cost me), that's what I have to charge. But nobody buys that. So lots of people make the decision that selling something for less is better than selling nothing for more. Same situation with hatchlings.

It's a choice in the same way it's not a choice. If someone told me to charge less if I wanted to sell, they'd be absolutely right. The only difference is that with dragons you buy from hatcheries and whatnot, people actually do buy specially-bred dragons for 50kt or whatever is considered an appropriate price. It just takes time. People who sell for less are trading that time for currency: that is, they'll take less now for more later. Because every dragon theoretically, eventually, sells. I once held onto a G1 for three years before it sold. But it did sell. Eventually.
What can I say? Just a great job! This must undoubtedly be expensive. I have not yet reached the stage of writing the lore of dragons, I want to do it after NotN. Therefore, I can really appreciate how cool it is written and designed. Such a dragon immediately attracts attention!
[quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:25:02" ] [quote name="Pantsbians" date="2023-12-26 07:12:23" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] This right here, and, as for the artist & skin maker example: learning to draw, write, craft, etc. takes a whole lot of work and is an *entirely* different skill set to breeding dragons. When you pay for art, you're [i]paying for that skill[/i]-- if you put a pencil and paper in front of someone who's never drawn and in front of someone who's drawn every day for twenty years, you're going to get different results, whereas if you gave the same breeding pair to a new FR player and someone who's been here since 2013, you may very well get the [i]exact same hatchlings[/i] with minimal input. Frankly, the artist comparison is a little insulting, even if you didn't mean it to be. [/quote] I draw a little myself, but not digitally, I use oil or pastel. And I often came across the phrases "You enjoyed painting, so what else is there to pay for?". I am sure that every artist has heard this phrase at least once. That's why I compared it, remembering my own sad experience. They say, "It doesn't cost you anything to draw, what do you pay for? You already have the skills, you don't waste them. On the contrary, you're just training!" [/quote] Respectfully, people devaluing your skill and labor when making art just isnt comparable to what is effectively generating pngs. None of this is real, so ascribing value is sort of a fools errand already, even taking into account the cost of putting a breeding pair together. Art is also really variable but we know and recognize it as actual work, so it at least has tangible value in that regard.
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 07:25:02:
I draw a little myself, but not digitally, I use oil or pastel. And I often came across the phrases "You enjoyed painting, so what else is there to pay for?". I am sure that every artist has heard this phrase at least once. That's why I compared it, remembering my own sad experience. They say, "It doesn't cost you anything to draw, what do you pay for? You already have the skills, you don't waste them. On the contrary, you're just training!"
Respectfully, people devaluing your skill and labor when making art just isnt comparable to what is effectively generating pngs. None of this is real, so ascribing value is sort of a fools errand already, even taking into account the cost of putting a breeding pair together. Art is also really variable but we know and recognize it as actual work, so it at least has tangible value in that regard.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
[quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:31:20" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2023-12-26 07:15:21" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:06:08" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] Lor for other dragons is also written to order and sold. Moreover, the selection of the outfit is also available to order! Yes, people profit from this too. If there is a demand, there will be a service. So you've made a bit of a mistake here :) [/quote] Ais did say writing lore for their dragons, meaning I'm not making any currency writing lore for my own dragon. So. I'm afraid in this case you've made the mistake. But either way, they're still right. Writing lore isn't profitable. As you questioned earlier, are artists told to sell their art for less because we do it for fun? Yes. :) [i]Especially[/i] writers. When I write for people outside of FR, I charge $.14/word. If we were to use the regular conversion from Art Sales threads, that's 14/g a word - which is what I'd charge to write lore, if I wanted to [i]profit[/i]. You want to guess how many bios I've sold at that price? If you guessed zero, then you're correct. I can't even sell a bio at 1g/word - which is what I do charge. But to no one's surprise, nobody is willing to pay over 1kg for a bio [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17556184]like this[/url]. But in order to profit (that is, to make more currency than it would cost me), that's what I have to charge. But nobody buys that. So lots of people make the decision that selling something for less is better than selling nothing for more. Same situation with hatchlings. It's a choice in the same way it's not a choice. If someone told me to charge less if I wanted to sell, they'd be absolutely right. The only difference is that with dragons you buy from hatcheries and whatnot, people actually do buy specially-bred dragons for 50kt or whatever is considered an appropriate price. It just takes time. People who sell for less are trading that time for currency: that is, they'll take less now for more later. Because every dragon theoretically, eventually, sells. I once held onto a G1 for three years before it sold. But it did sell. Eventually. [/quote] What can I say? Just a great job! This must undoubtedly be expensive. I have not yet reached the stage of writing the lore of dragons, I want to do it after NotN. Therefore, I can really appreciate how cool it is written and designed. Such a dragon immediately attracts attention! [/quote] That... was so very much not the point. But also... very similar to the point. Why would you pay 1kg for someone else to write a bio for you because you're going to do it yourself? Why would I pay someone else for a hatchling I could very easily hatch myself?
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 07:31:20:
Lor for other dragons is also written to order and sold. Moreover, the selection of the outfit is also available to order! Yes, people profit from this too. If there is a demand, there will be a service. So you've made a bit of a mistake here :)
Ais did say writing lore for their dragons, meaning I'm not making any currency writing lore for my own dragon. So. I'm afraid in this case you've made the mistake.

But either way, they're still right. Writing lore isn't profitable. As you questioned earlier, are artists told to sell their art for less because we do it for fun? Yes. :) Especially writers. When I write for people outside of FR, I charge $.14/word. If we were to use the regular conversion from Art Sales threads, that's 14/g a word - which is what I'd charge to write lore, if I wanted to profit. You want to guess how many bios I've sold at that price?

If you guessed zero, then you're correct. I can't even sell a bio at 1g/word - which is what I do charge. But to no one's surprise, nobody is willing to pay over 1kg for a bio like this. But in order to profit (that is, to make more currency than it would cost me), that's what I have to charge. But nobody buys that. So lots of people make the decision that selling something for less is better than selling nothing for more. Same situation with hatchlings.

It's a choice in the same way it's not a choice. If someone told me to charge less if I wanted to sell, they'd be absolutely right. The only difference is that with dragons you buy from hatcheries and whatnot, people actually do buy specially-bred dragons for 50kt or whatever is considered an appropriate price. It just takes time. People who sell for less are trading that time for currency: that is, they'll take less now for more later. Because every dragon theoretically, eventually, sells. I once held onto a G1 for three years before it sold. But it did sell. Eventually.
What can I say? Just a great job! This must undoubtedly be expensive. I have not yet reached the stage of writing the lore of dragons, I want to do it after NotN. Therefore, I can really appreciate how cool it is written and designed. Such a dragon immediately attracts attention!
That... was so very much not the point.

But also... very similar to the point. Why would you pay 1kg for someone else to write a bio for you because you're going to do it yourself? Why would I pay someone else for a hatchling I could very easily hatch myself?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2023-12-26 07:37:28" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:31:20" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2023-12-26 07:15:21" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 07:06:08" ] [quote name="Ais" date="2023-12-26 06:45:59" ] [quote name="Enko" date="2023-12-26 05:35:04" ] Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive? Or is this just the case with breeders? [/quote] Did you miss all the parts of the replies which clearly stated that the 'price dumping' is not [i]supposed[/i] to turn an instant profit? You may as well ask if it is fair that one does not make a thousand gems for spending time in the dressing room, or for writing lore for their dragons. Not everything on the site is supposed to leave you rolling in money. This is the case here. [/quote] Lor for other dragons is also written to order and sold. Moreover, the selection of the outfit is also available to order! Yes, people profit from this too. If there is a demand, there will be a service. So you've made a bit of a mistake here :) [/quote] Ais did say writing lore for their dragons, meaning I'm not making any currency writing lore for my own dragon. So. I'm afraid in this case you've made the mistake. But either way, they're still right. Writing lore isn't profitable. As you questioned earlier, are artists told to sell their art for less because we do it for fun? Yes. :) [i]Especially[/i] writers. When I write for people outside of FR, I charge $.14/word. If we were to use the regular conversion from Art Sales threads, that's 14/g a word - which is what I'd charge to write lore, if I wanted to [i]profit[/i]. You want to guess how many bios I've sold at that price? If you guessed zero, then you're correct. I can't even sell a bio at 1g/word - which is what I do charge. But to no one's surprise, nobody is willing to pay over 1kg for a bio [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/17556184]like this[/url]. But in order to profit (that is, to make more currency than it would cost me), that's what I have to charge. But nobody buys that. So lots of people make the decision that selling something for less is better than selling nothing for more. Same situation with hatchlings. It's a choice in the same way it's not a choice. If someone told me to charge less if I wanted to sell, they'd be absolutely right. The only difference is that with dragons you buy from hatcheries and whatnot, people actually do buy specially-bred dragons for 50kt or whatever is considered an appropriate price. It just takes time. People who sell for less are trading that time for currency: that is, they'll take less now for more later. Because every dragon theoretically, eventually, sells. I once held onto a G1 for three years before it sold. But it did sell. Eventually. [/quote] What can I say? Just a great job! This must undoubtedly be expensive. I have not yet reached the stage of writing the lore of dragons, I want to do it after NotN. Therefore, I can really appreciate how cool it is written and designed. Such a dragon immediately attracts attention! [/quote] That... was so very much not the point. But also... very similar to the point. Why would you pay 1kg for someone else to write a bio for you because you're going to do it yourself? Why would I pay someone else for a hatchling I could very easily hatch myself? [/quote] Of course, you can make a dragon yourself (except for the Imperial due to the lack of a gene). However, a coatl with rar genes will end up with about 6000 gems if you do it yourself. Agree that this is incomparable with the price of a hatch. It's the same with lore. I think it's noticeable that English is not my native language, and I write with a lot of mistakes. You can understand what I meant, but this is not good for a dragon's lore. Yes, I am ready to pay 1k if my text is made literary, all errors are corrected. Actually, my friend help me so much, although he does not charge, but I try to give him gifts in the game that somehow compensate for his work.
Almedha wrote on 2023-12-26 07:37:28:
Enko wrote on 2023-12-26 07:31:20:

That... was so very much not the point.

But also... very similar to the point. Why would you pay 1kg for someone else to write a bio for you because you're going to do it yourself? Why would I pay someone else for a hatchling I could very easily hatch myself?
Of course, you can make a dragon yourself (except for the Imperial due to the lack of a gene). However, a coatl with rar genes will end up with about 6000 gems if you do it yourself. Agree that this is incomparable with the price of a hatch. It's the same with lore. I think it's noticeable that English is not my native language, and I write with a lot of mistakes. You can understand what I meant, but this is not good for a dragon's lore. Yes, I am ready to pay 1k if my text is made literary, all errors are corrected. Actually, my friend help me so much, although he does not charge, but I try to give him gifts in the game that somehow compensate for his work.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13