Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Price dumping on newly released breeds
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
If you're only making these new pairs with the expectation of being able to turn an immediate profit on your first/maybe second nest, you should probably stop doing it. Lots of people gene up pairs and then start breeding and selling them for cheap(er than the price of an unhatched egg, lol) because the fun to them isn't in making immediate bank, it's in making pretty dragons and then sharing them with others, and they don't mind if they take a really long time to make the scroll money back. There's just physically no way for you to compete with that with that mindset.
If you're only making these new pairs with the expectation of being able to turn an immediate profit on your first/maybe second nest, you should probably stop doing it. Lots of people gene up pairs and then start breeding and selling them for cheap(er than the price of an unhatched egg, lol) because the fun to them isn't in making immediate bank, it's in making pretty dragons and then sharing them with others, and they don't mind if they take a really long time to make the scroll money back. There's just physically no way for you to compete with that with that mindset.
Esme, a very red and Plague-themed Skydancer. A medallion depicting the Plaguebringer in profile.
Honestly, the dragon market is tricky and some people don't want to play that game and would rather make an instant few bucks than have to wait for an expensive dragon to sell (which can take awhile!). Could be a lair space thing, could be that they just don't care that much.

Coming from someone who made SO much money off of the Sandsurge release by selling dragons for high prices, I kind of get that not everyone is in it for the money and are just happy to spread pretty color combos around (or they do things for lore reasons, for challenges, etc). Honestly I get most of my dragons for free these days because people so generously give away wonderful dragons, and I do the same a lot!...I am definitely not part of the userbase that buys expensive dragons off the AH on release, and idk how many of those there really are out there LOL
Honestly, the dragon market is tricky and some people don't want to play that game and would rather make an instant few bucks than have to wait for an expensive dragon to sell (which can take awhile!). Could be a lair space thing, could be that they just don't care that much.

Coming from someone who made SO much money off of the Sandsurge release by selling dragons for high prices, I kind of get that not everyone is in it for the money and are just happy to spread pretty color combos around (or they do things for lore reasons, for challenges, etc). Honestly I get most of my dragons for free these days because people so generously give away wonderful dragons, and I do the same a lot!...I am definitely not part of the userbase that buys expensive dragons off the AH on release, and idk how many of those there really are out there LOL
CLljvdp.png
nah, I buy dragons for 5g and I buy dragons for 250g. having some dragons be at lower prices doesn't make me not want to buy the expensive dragons

some people are willing to have a dragon listed for months and months and months at a high price. others want to sell lots of dragons at a lower price if it's faster. I don't think any sort of precedent is being set, because a lot of more expensive dragons DO sell!

it's up to each seller how much they want to balance lair space, profits, fun, whatever
nah, I buy dragons for 5g and I buy dragons for 250g. having some dragons be at lower prices doesn't make me not want to buy the expensive dragons

some people are willing to have a dragon listed for months and months and months at a high price. others want to sell lots of dragons at a lower price if it's faster. I don't think any sort of precedent is being set, because a lot of more expensive dragons DO sell!

it's up to each seller how much they want to balance lair space, profits, fun, whatever
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
Breeding with the expectation of profiting within one or two nests is probably going to end in frustration. Buyers don't really want to subsidise your gene projects.
Dragons don't die and genes don't expire so there's no time limit on making back the money you spent. If you breed the dragons enough times you'll make a profit eventually, there's no requirement to do it within x amount of time.
Outside of Imperials all scrolls are readily available so new breeds and genes will spread and end up fodder price eventually even if all profit breeders decided to stop.

It does suck when you can't sell pretty dragons for the price you want to.
We just breed dragons we like and don't think too much about value, it's a lot more fun that way :D
Breeding with the expectation of profiting within one or two nests is probably going to end in frustration. Buyers don't really want to subsidise your gene projects.
Dragons don't die and genes don't expire so there's no time limit on making back the money you spent. If you breed the dragons enough times you'll make a profit eventually, there's no requirement to do it within x amount of time.
Outside of Imperials all scrolls are readily available so new breeds and genes will spread and end up fodder price eventually even if all profit breeders decided to stop.

It does suck when you can't sell pretty dragons for the price you want to.
We just breed dragons we like and don't think too much about value, it's a lot more fun that way :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I don't think I've ever bought a dragon for more than 20g, and I don't often see a dragon that makes me want to offer any more.

I believe I've offered more than 20g on three occasions, and each time the owner declined my offer, saying they'd prefer to receive more. Which I accepted.

So I'm going to wait until the offspring of a new breed drop to fodder or near-fodder prices, no matter how long that takes. If I can pay 10g for a hatchling I like a week after release, I will. If I have to wait six months to be able to do, I will.

If you're someone who never prices one of your hatchlings at around 10g, I will simply never buy one of your hatchlings, and someone else will get my 10g.
I don't think I've ever bought a dragon for more than 20g, and I don't often see a dragon that makes me want to offer any more.

I believe I've offered more than 20g on three occasions, and each time the owner declined my offer, saying they'd prefer to receive more. Which I accepted.

So I'm going to wait until the offspring of a new breed drop to fodder or near-fodder prices, no matter how long that takes. If I can pay 10g for a hatchling I like a week after release, I will. If I have to wait six months to be able to do, I will.

If you're someone who never prices one of your hatchlings at around 10g, I will simply never buy one of your hatchlings, and someone else will get my 10g.
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
When Bogsneaks were first released, I purchased two gen1 bogs and sold their hatchlings at fodder price. There was no profit incentive to it. I simply wanted to let people get their hands on the new breed at a decent price. With the release of Ancient breeds, it only takes a few weeks/months for hatchlings to hit fodder price.
When Bogsneaks were first released, I purchased two gen1 bogs and sold their hatchlings at fodder price. There was no profit incentive to it. I simply wanted to let people get their hands on the new breed at a decent price. With the release of Ancient breeds, it only takes a few weeks/months for hatchlings to hit fodder price.
HpBICfc.gif
» about me
» commissions
This little one: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91576631][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/915767/91576631_350.png[/img][/url] Will sell for 50kt, at some point, because that's what I list these at. It might take a while, but they always sell. Why? Because I had to breed the pair myself. It's a fairly unique combo with those genes. Those genes have been around FOREVER. And I only made the pair to breed pretty fodder in the first place. Point is, sell at whatever price you're gonna sell. If whatever you're offering is unique, the rest doesn't matter. It might take some time, but if it's desirable and unique enough, it'll sell.
This little one:

91576631_350.png

Will sell for 50kt, at some point, because that's what I list these at. It might take a while, but they always sell. Why? Because I had to breed the pair myself. It's a fairly unique combo with those genes.

Those genes have been around FOREVER.

And I only made the pair to breed pretty fodder in the first place.

Point is, sell at whatever price you're gonna sell. If whatever you're offering is unique, the rest doesn't matter. It might take some time, but if it's desirable and unique enough, it'll sell.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive?
Or is this just the case with breeders?
Reading the answers, I feel sad as a breeder. I wonder if artists who draw art for 1000 gems or more are told that they do it for the sake of the fun, so, so be it, I'll buy your art for 20 gems? After all, the artist's resources are also endless and he can draw as much as he wants. Do they tell those who make custom skins and accents that they will pay not 1000 or more gems, but ten times less, because they also do it for the sake of the fun? Do they say this to those who sell boss pets from coli for 2000-3000 gems, that I want buy for 20-30 gems, and you already enjoyed playing in the coli, then why are you selling so expensive?
Or is this just the case with breeders?
Sorry OP, you just sound bitter and like you're trying to tell people how to play the game which iirc is against FR rules.

Nothing on this site is special except what value the players decide to give it. No breed, color combo, or gene combo is special unless players decide it is. There's really nothing else to it.
Sorry OP, you just sound bitter and like you're trying to tell people how to play the game which iirc is against FR rules.

Nothing on this site is special except what value the players decide to give it. No breed, color combo, or gene combo is special unless players decide it is. There's really nothing else to it.
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
[quote name="SpiritMessenger" date="2023-12-26 06:05:23" ] like you're trying to tell people how to play the game which iirc is against FR rules. [/quote] mmm... Please be careful with such phrases. Otherwise, this can be said about half of those who spoke out. Tips like "Breed pair until you make a profit" are also similar to "trying to tell people how to play the game", but these are just tips, not instructions.
SpiritMessenger wrote on 2023-12-26 06:05:23:
like you're trying to tell people how to play the game which iirc is against FR rules.
mmm... Please be careful with such phrases. Otherwise, this can be said about half of those who spoke out. Tips like "Breed pair until you make a profit" are also similar to "trying to tell people how to play the game", but these are just tips, not instructions.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13