Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | i really hope staff addresses this
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The problem isn't that it's time gated; people are willing to work towards a slow goal. The problem is that there are so many layers of random it's almost impossible to focus on what you actually want.

I've been using most of my magnifiers on a single plot, but I still get plots I don't want cleared almost as much because RNG favours them (and has been mostly giving me pickaxes rather than magnifiers). And if those plots get completed, then they reset and immediately start sucking up my resources again...

I understand why staff haven't said anything immediately. I don't expect them to. This is really early days, they just released the feature, some of the feedback may change over time, plus I don't want staff reacting emotionally to initial criticism of something they've been working hard on, because they're human and that way madness lies.

But that doesn't mean I'm not goinng to provide my thoughts. And the fact that I'm criticising some aspects of Arlo doesn't mean I don't like it. I just think it needs to be rebalanced a bit.
The problem isn't that it's time gated; people are willing to work towards a slow goal. The problem is that there are so many layers of random it's almost impossible to focus on what you actually want.

I've been using most of my magnifiers on a single plot, but I still get plots I don't want cleared almost as much because RNG favours them (and has been mostly giving me pickaxes rather than magnifiers). And if those plots get completed, then they reset and immediately start sucking up my resources again...

I understand why staff haven't said anything immediately. I don't expect them to. This is really early days, they just released the feature, some of the feedback may change over time, plus I don't want staff reacting emotionally to initial criticism of something they've been working hard on, because they're human and that way madness lies.

But that doesn't mean I'm not goinng to provide my thoughts. And the fact that I'm criticising some aspects of Arlo doesn't mean I don't like it. I just think it needs to be rebalanced a bit.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
[quote name="Ais" date="2022-02-10 08:27:47" ] Honestly if the devs said when they were aware of issues and planning on looking into them/making a solution/not making a solution then it'd be a completely different site. As it stands all we can do is sit here and complain and wait until maybe something is done. ..And yes, Arlo's does need some serious tuning. Anyone denying that is lying to themselves. [/quote] We've had a history of radio silence for new big updates so it's nothing new but I absolutely wish they could just make a thread writing something along the lines of "We see you have various thoughts and concerns regarding the latest update, we will discuss and monitor things over the course of a few days/weeks and get back to you with more information later" every time there's a big new thing like Arlo, the eypocalypse, dustcarve (although dustcarve did go fairly smoothly aside from the fact we all dreamt of oil for months after haha) Like, nothing big, no direct statements, just a "we see you/hear you and we will discuss it" would be enough. I feel like that'd be enough to quell most of the threads that continue to pop up when people feel like they're not getting heard or ignored or ar uncertain about stuff. I see most of the time things go out of hand and the forum gets flooded with the same topics because there is only silence so I think it'd help if the community got to hear something. [emoji=banescale confused size=2]
Ais wrote on 2022-02-10 08:27:47:
Honestly if the devs said when they were aware of issues and planning on looking into them/making a solution/not making a solution then it'd be a completely different site. As it stands all we can do is sit here and complain and wait until maybe something is done.

..And yes, Arlo's does need some serious tuning. Anyone denying that is lying to themselves.

We've had a history of radio silence for new big updates so it's nothing new but I absolutely wish they could just make a thread writing something along the lines of "We see you have various thoughts and concerns regarding the latest update, we will discuss and monitor things over the course of a few days/weeks and get back to you with more information later" every time there's a big new thing like Arlo, the eypocalypse, dustcarve (although dustcarve did go fairly smoothly aside from the fact we all dreamt of oil for months after haha)

Like, nothing big, no direct statements, just a "we see you/hear you and we will discuss it" would be enough. I feel like that'd be enough to quell most of the threads that continue to pop up when people feel like they're not getting heard or ignored or ar uncertain about stuff. I see most of the time things go out of hand and the forum gets flooded with the same topics because there is only silence so I think it'd help if the community got to hear something.
Always buying
Abyss/Gloom/X
Gen Ones.
Feel free to PM 8.png
wsTw09i.png
*Wishlist
*Art Shop
*Adoptables
*Skins/Accents
3R1xnew.pnglq7TbRo.png
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-02-10 09:19:55" ] I understand why staff haven't said anything immediately. I don't expect them to. This is really early days, they just released the feature, some of the feedback may change over time, plus I don't want staff reacting emotionally to initial criticism of something they've been working hard on, because they're human and that way madness lies. [/quote] This is a way better and more concise way of saying what I said. But yeah! I'd be realllllly concerned about the long-term viability of any changes (or non-changes) they said they were making right away. Immediate changes => likely to be overly reactive to players feeling bad and wanting to fix it without really considering the consequences. There are things that warrant fast response, but Arlo isn't it— all of the criticism has been about the gameplay balance. This is also how things that are long-term issues get missed— if changes had been made the first day, the exact way plots reset wouldn't have been known about and would have been missed as a subject of feedback. Immediate reaction of "no changes" => likely to be feeling bad about all that hard work getting criticized without allowing for a cooldown period and considering possible merits of the feedback being given. More of a digging heels reaction and doubling down on a feature that is getting criticism rather than considering how to make it feel better for the playerbase. Waiting a period of time before committing to any changes => any changes are likely to be well considered and balanced with the long-term health of the site in mind, possibly compromising with player complaints but keeping in mind the site's vision of how the feature is supposed to work.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-02-10 09:19:55:

This is a way better and more concise way of saying what I said. But yeah! I'd be realllllly concerned about the long-term viability of any changes (or non-changes) they said they were making right away.

Immediate changes => likely to be overly reactive to players feeling bad and wanting to fix it without really considering the consequences. There are things that warrant fast response, but Arlo isn't it— all of the criticism has been about the gameplay balance. This is also how things that are long-term issues get missed— if changes had been made the first day, the exact way plots reset wouldn't have been known about and would have been missed as a subject of feedback.

Immediate reaction of "no changes" => likely to be feeling bad about all that hard work getting criticized without allowing for a cooldown period and considering possible merits of the feedback being given. More of a digging heels reaction and doubling down on a feature that is getting criticism rather than considering how to make it feel better for the playerbase.

Waiting a period of time before committing to any changes => any changes are likely to be well considered and balanced with the long-term health of the site in mind, possibly compromising with player complaints but keeping in mind the site's vision of how the feature is supposed to work.
I do get the frustration, yes, but it does make sense that it's like this. If we could just ignore plots that have been dug up already, we could finish all, claim one, and redo that over and over, incredibly quickly. Which is. Unbalanced and not great. I do think it should maybe change, but with a max amount of plots you can just leave sitting there?
I do get the frustration, yes, but it does make sense that it's like this. If we could just ignore plots that have been dug up already, we could finish all, claim one, and redo that over and over, incredibly quickly. Which is. Unbalanced and not great. I do think it should maybe change, but with a max amount of plots you can just leave sitting there?

I was surprised there was so much discussion about arlo :0 he's a trading post mini game essentially and there wasn't gonna be much to it. he's similar to fiona or tomo or crim. it's something you can check everyday but it's pretty inconsequential if you don't as well!

it's been less than a week since he's out, so I'd be very surprised if there are expectations for a response or changes about it so soon :0
I was surprised there was so much discussion about arlo :0 he's a trading post mini game essentially and there wasn't gonna be much to it. he's similar to fiona or tomo or crim. it's something you can check everyday but it's pretty inconsequential if you don't as well!

it's been less than a week since he's out, so I'd be very surprised if there are expectations for a response or changes about it so soon :0
74055311.png gYzuoZS.png
I'd also like everyone to keep in perspective that the forums only represent a fraction of the playerbase. A very small fraction. On average, forum activity for games goes about 15% who read the forums at all. Only 5% of that minority will post. That's a very small amount, y'all, and only so many of us are even actively commenting on it.

It might seem like there's outrage, but realistically, how much of it is a loud minority? I'd reckon a lot. That doesn't mean anyone is wrong or should be dismissed, but just keep in mind that no poster represents the entire community. No one person speaks for everyone.

FR staff has far more information than we do, because they can see ALL the backend stats that we don't. They might not always make the right choices, or ones I agree with, but people have to consider that they make their game design decisions with a lot more information than we have. There is a reason for everything.
I'd also like everyone to keep in perspective that the forums only represent a fraction of the playerbase. A very small fraction. On average, forum activity for games goes about 15% who read the forums at all. Only 5% of that minority will post. That's a very small amount, y'all, and only so many of us are even actively commenting on it.

It might seem like there's outrage, but realistically, how much of it is a loud minority? I'd reckon a lot. That doesn't mean anyone is wrong or should be dismissed, but just keep in mind that no poster represents the entire community. No one person speaks for everyone.

FR staff has far more information than we do, because they can see ALL the backend stats that we don't. They might not always make the right choices, or ones I agree with, but people have to consider that they make their game design decisions with a lot more information than we have. There is a reason for everything.
push hub
[quote name="kyat" date="2022-02-10 09:10:39" ] The general playerbase have always been somewhat hostile towards RNG bc of how "generous" most of FR is + the whole eyepocalypse mess that revolved around RNG ^^;;;;;; I do agree that it needs some tuning, but it's sort of shocking when I read PA posts that are essentially demanding no balance at all. It's time gated because it's free stuff, it's not supposed to be grindable. The same way you can't grind pinkerton or Tomos or Fiona. I do understand it can be frustrating to not get what you want, but I don't think it calls for a near overhaul of the way Arlo works :( As for staff, their response time is pretty varied. Sometimes they react very quickly, sometimes they sit on it for years, and sometimes they don't really address it at all. Just they way things are; I'd say it depends on the situation as @/Alize said, as that Staff will take their time with adjusting Arlos >_< [/quote] but also this sobs i dont think it calls for an overhaul either, just some fine-tuning, but we also don't know if that finetuning will be required as more dig sites are revealed and whatnot. and staff response time can be. iffy at times. at anything i'd prefer speedy than nothing at all.
kyat wrote on 2022-02-10 09:10:39:
The general playerbase have always been somewhat hostile towards RNG bc of how "generous" most of FR is + the whole eyepocalypse mess that revolved around RNG ^^;;;;;;

I do agree that it needs some tuning, but it's sort of shocking when I read PA posts that are essentially demanding no balance at all. It's time gated because it's free stuff, it's not supposed to be grindable. The same way you can't grind pinkerton or Tomos or Fiona. I do understand it can be frustrating to not get what you want, but I don't think it calls for a near overhaul of the way Arlo works :(

As for staff, their response time is pretty varied. Sometimes they react very quickly, sometimes they sit on it for years, and sometimes they don't really address it at all. Just they way things are; I'd say it depends on the situation as @/Alize said, as that Staff will take their time with adjusting Arlos >_<

but also this sobs

i dont think it calls for an overhaul either, just some fine-tuning, but we also don't know if that finetuning will be required as more dig sites are revealed and whatnot.

and staff response time can be. iffy at times. at anything i'd prefer speedy than nothing at all.
Josie | 16 | She/They
tumblr_na5dh68Ezc1tfzajgo1_500.gif
[quote name="Nihilis" date="2022-02-10 09:47:04" ] I'd also like everyone to keep in perspective that the forums only represent a fraction of the playerbase. A very small fraction. On average, forum activity for games goes about 15% who read the forums at all. Only 5% of that minority will post. That's a very small amount, y'all, and only so many of us are even actively commenting on it. It might seem like there's outrage, but realistically, how much of it is a loud minority? I'd reckon a lot. That doesn't mean anyone is wrong or should be dismissed, but just keep in mind that no poster represents the entire community. No one person speaks for everyone. FR staff has far more information than we do, because they can see ALL the backend stats that we don't. They might not always make the right choices, or ones I agree with, but people have to consider that they make their game design decisions with a lot more information than we have. There is a reason for everything. [/quote] ooh yes I honestly keep forgetting that most people don't even check other forums aside from sale :0 for the past 3 years I barely even went to the forums, and I bet there's tons of others like me as well! most people are probably satisfied with the new feature~
Nihilis wrote on 2022-02-10 09:47:04:

ooh yes I honestly keep forgetting that most people don't even check other forums aside from sale :0 for the past 3 years I barely even went to the forums, and I bet there's tons of others like me as well! most people are probably satisfied with the new feature~
74055311.png gYzuoZS.png
[quote name="Alize" date="2022-02-10 08:55:07" ] I feel right now everyone has issues with it, but everyone has a different issue. Working through those and determining what really needs to change is going to take staff some time. [/quote] yes, this. It's only been a couple of days. The staff are gonna need a while to be able to make the correct adjustments. I get what everyone means by wanting to hear something from the staff, but I don't think there's really much they can say atm
Alize wrote on 2022-02-10 08:55:07:
I feel right now everyone has issues with it, but everyone has a different issue. Working through those and determining what really needs to change is going to take staff some time.
yes, this. It's only been a couple of days. The staff are gonna need a while to be able to make the correct adjustments. I get what everyone means by wanting to hear something from the staff, but I don't think there's really much they can say atm
p3jdzi4.png
This community feels quite sensitive to changes.
I understand Arlo isn't the best it can be right now but at the same time when a userbase is as reactive as this one the best move may be to not say anything for a while.

I'm sure they've taken note of some response, though.
This community feels quite sensitive to changes.
I understand Arlo isn't the best it can be right now but at the same time when a userbase is as reactive as this one the best move may be to not say anything for a while.

I'm sure they've taken note of some response, though.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7