Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Plea to Players Giving Away Dragons
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14
[quote name="LostUmbreon" date=2015-04-06 22:15:56] TLDR: Calm yourselves. If you aren't a person who pours over entire family trees every day then you really shouldn't care what happens to a dragon you've willingly given away. [/quote] Seriously. Some of the people here are being really salty. If you do not want your dragon getting exalted under any circumstances, do not give them away. It doesn't matter if you pick your most special dragons, because special to you is fodder to someone else. If you give a newbie a dragon and they decide to exalt it, that is their decision and you have no say over it.
LostUmbreon wrote on 2015-04-06:
TLDR: Calm yourselves. If you aren't a person who pours over entire family trees every day then you really shouldn't care what happens to a dragon you've willingly given away.

Seriously. Some of the people here are being really salty. If you do not want your dragon getting exalted under any circumstances, do not give them away. It doesn't matter if you pick your most special dragons, because special to you is fodder to someone else. If you give a newbie a dragon and they decide to exalt it, that is their decision and you have no say over it.
8qtapnq.pngtumblr_nky7fv7Uz91tfytxqo2_r1_75sq.pngRmHSCAk.png
Agreed.

I have only recently completely decided what I want in my lair and I have been here since June 8th, 2013. It amazes me that people still stick the "no exalting, keep it forever" rule on their give aways, I mean really, if the dragon is that special and important to you, why are you giving it away in the first place? Once it belongs to someone else they can do whatever they want with it. I think that if you get to place rules/restrictions on dragons/items you no longer have on your account, you're essentially renting lair space from the new "owner" and you ought to be paying the rent.

I personally prefer for dragons I breed to be exalted. Why? Because it means they can't be changed by a new owner and they'll always be there how I remember them. Plus, they'll be serving the Gladekeeper and her glorious Ladybeard. That's where all my special dragons go. If it's on the AH or being given away it not very special to me.
Agreed.

I have only recently completely decided what I want in my lair and I have been here since June 8th, 2013. It amazes me that people still stick the "no exalting, keep it forever" rule on their give aways, I mean really, if the dragon is that special and important to you, why are you giving it away in the first place? Once it belongs to someone else they can do whatever they want with it. I think that if you get to place rules/restrictions on dragons/items you no longer have on your account, you're essentially renting lair space from the new "owner" and you ought to be paying the rent.

I personally prefer for dragons I breed to be exalted. Why? Because it means they can't be changed by a new owner and they'll always be there how I remember them. Plus, they'll be serving the Gladekeeper and her glorious Ladybeard. That's where all my special dragons go. If it's on the AH or being given away it not very special to me.
6xcUChx.png

aaa%20bfr_zps1hiir7rg.png
[quote name="Felahr" date=2015-04-06 20:31:51] Some people have this idea that everyone is just throwing fuglies at the newbies, as a last ditch way to get rid of them. Of course if this is your viewpoint, you would get irate at the demands of no exalting SOME OF US, on the other hand, handpicked the prettiest and held on to them, to give the newbies the best and loveliest we had to offer, as a welcoming gift. not a convenient rubbish bin to take your rejects. I deliberately selected the best my dragons produced, as gifts of welcoming. If you arent going to be thrilled with the best I have to offer you, you better not accept it at all. If I give you my favorite, or the best I can produce, and you exalt it, thats a straight up kick in the face. I dont care how sugarcoated you want to make it. [/quote] @Felahr You're still being very unfair with this. Remember that newbies have only just joined the site. They very likely don't understand the value of their lair space yet - those first few spaces are cheap, so why not fill them up in an excited hurry! They also haven't had time to develop their tastes in dragons and, anyway, tastes change. They might join, get a few free dragons, decide a week in they want a themed lair because they've had a look around and seen some great themes, and those giveaway dragons don't fit any more. "Prettiness" is also subjective, and a newbie might take a free dragon because they're told it's valuable and nice, then realise it's not to their personal taste at all. How long must newbies be thrilled with your generous, selfless gift before it's acceptable to change their mind? Forever? A week? A month? Totally unreasonable, imo.
Felahr wrote on 2015-04-06:
Some people have this idea that everyone is just throwing fuglies at the newbies, as a last ditch way to get rid of them. Of course if this is your viewpoint, you would get irate at the demands of no exalting

SOME OF US, on the other hand, handpicked the prettiest and held on to them, to give the newbies the best and loveliest we had to offer, as a welcoming gift. not a convenient rubbish bin to take your rejects. I deliberately selected the best my dragons produced, as gifts of welcoming. If you arent going to be thrilled with the best I have to offer you, you better not accept it at all. If I give you my favorite, or the best I can produce, and you exalt it, thats a straight up kick in the face. I dont care how sugarcoated you want to make it.

@Felahr
You're still being very unfair with this. Remember that newbies have only just joined the site. They very likely don't understand the value of their lair space yet - those first few spaces are cheap, so why not fill them up in an excited hurry! They also haven't had time to develop their tastes in dragons and, anyway, tastes change. They might join, get a few free dragons, decide a week in they want a themed lair because they've had a look around and seen some great themes, and those giveaway dragons don't fit any more. "Prettiness" is also subjective, and a newbie might take a free dragon because they're told it's valuable and nice, then realise it's not to their personal taste at all. How long must newbies be thrilled with your generous, selfless gift before it's acceptable to change their mind? Forever? A week? A month?
Totally unreasonable, imo.
In my opinion, if you don't want a dragon to be exalted then it should never leave your lair. Once you give it away or sell it, it no longer belongs to you and you shouldn't have a say in what happens to it.

If you were, for example, making some kind of nice craft (we'll say plushies for the sake of argument) and selling them, you wouldn't later make housecalls to ensure that all your plushies have been adequately treasured based on the sentimental value you placed on them. Just because FR allows you to peek into your figurative-customer's windows doesn't mean that you should.
In my opinion, if you don't want a dragon to be exalted then it should never leave your lair. Once you give it away or sell it, it no longer belongs to you and you shouldn't have a say in what happens to it.

If you were, for example, making some kind of nice craft (we'll say plushies for the sake of argument) and selling them, you wouldn't later make housecalls to ensure that all your plushies have been adequately treasured based on the sentimental value you placed on them. Just because FR allows you to peek into your figurative-customer's windows doesn't mean that you should.
bmC7aIK.pngmLmd8FJ.pngdV1P3J2.pngWCTD8jq.png
@Slyjinks

Thanks for saying this. I always was bothered by the 'absolutely no exalt' rule I see so often.
Especially on newbs it would have a bad influence.

As Snek so wonderfully put it: The main use for a dragon is to either breed exalt bait or be exalted itself.

We shouldn't swamp them with dragons that they HAVE to keep sitting in their lairs even after they outlived their welcome.
@Slyjinks

Thanks for saying this. I always was bothered by the 'absolutely no exalt' rule I see so often.
Especially on newbs it would have a bad influence.

As Snek so wonderfully put it: The main use for a dragon is to either breed exalt bait or be exalted itself.

We shouldn't swamp them with dragons that they HAVE to keep sitting in their lairs even after they outlived their welcome.
[quote name="Grasshopper" date=2015-04-07 00:42:56] I think that if you get to place rules/restrictions on dragons/items you no longer have on your account, you're essentially renting lair space from the new "owner" and you ought to be paying the rent. [/quote] Bingo, exactly. FR resources are limited. Keeping a dragon uses those resources (lair space, food). If you love a dragon and don't want to ever see it exalted, it's [i]your[/i] responsibility to take care of that dragon. Otherwise the gifter becomes the one who benefits at the expense of the giftee-- all the upkeep costs are pushed onto someone else, and the gifter doesn't have to make difficult choices about exalts and prioritization.
Grasshopper wrote on 2015-04-07:
I think that if you get to place rules/restrictions on dragons/items you no longer have on your account, you're essentially renting lair space from the new "owner" and you ought to be paying the rent.

Bingo, exactly.

FR resources are limited. Keeping a dragon uses those resources (lair space, food). If you love a dragon and don't want to ever see it exalted, it's your responsibility to take care of that dragon. Otherwise the gifter becomes the one who benefits at the expense of the giftee-- all the upkeep costs are pushed onto someone else, and the gifter doesn't have to make difficult choices about exalts and prioritization.
_back_day.png
This!

It's stupid to force people what to do with their dragons. Besides, when you're a newbie, everything is beautiful and shiny and you need to have it NOW. When the initial excitement wears off, you're left with dragons you don't really like. Why should they pay for the 'mistake' with their lair space?

In short, if you don't want your dragon getting exalted, don't give it to anyone.
This!

It's stupid to force people what to do with their dragons. Besides, when you're a newbie, everything is beautiful and shiny and you need to have it NOW. When the initial excitement wears off, you're left with dragons you don't really like. Why should they pay for the 'mistake' with their lair space?

In short, if you don't want your dragon getting exalted, don't give it to anyone.
[quote name="Felahr" date=2015-04-06 19:06:25] Most times I agree with you, but some dragons are special and are gifted to newbies in the hopes that they will appreciate the gift. There was a spiral that was gifted to me when I was new, the very first nice thing anyone did for me, on my first day, and I kept him until recently when I gave him back to the gifter, who has told me that Elo will go to another newbie in this registration window. I would be, and they would be, devastated if someone accepted Elo and then exalted him. If you decide you dont want something that a lovingly given present, give it back so someone else can enjoy it. You dont get to beg for a gift and then sell it for cash. Thats tasteless and rude. [/quote] @Felahr Wow I'm just at a loss for words if you believe new people are begging for dragons by taking free gifts BEING OFFERED. It would be begging if they were asking and nothing was being offered, but clearly something is being offered in these cases. To give an example, begging would be like me out of the blue asking you for a dragon right now. However, when you offer it up for grabs and I ask for it, that's not begging in the slightest.
Felahr wrote on 2015-04-06:
Most times I agree with you, but some dragons are special and are gifted to newbies in the hopes that they will appreciate the gift. There was a spiral that was gifted to me when I was new, the very first nice thing anyone did for me, on my first day, and I kept him until recently when I gave him back to the gifter, who has told me that Elo will go to another newbie in this registration window. I would be, and they would be, devastated if someone accepted Elo and then exalted him. If you decide you dont want something that a lovingly given present, give it back so someone else can enjoy it.

You dont get to beg for a gift and then sell it for cash. Thats tasteless and rude.

@Felahr
Wow I'm just at a loss for words if you believe new people are begging for dragons by taking free gifts BEING OFFERED. It would be begging if they were asking and nothing was being offered, but clearly something is being offered in these cases.

To give an example, begging would be like me out of the blue asking you for a dragon right now. However, when you offer it up for grabs and I ask for it, that's not begging in the slightest.
Ya'll take this virtual dragon game waaaay too seriously lmao. Like they're pixels??? You can breed/buy a new one if you want it so bad.
Ya'll take this virtual dragon game waaaay too seriously lmao. Like they're pixels??? You can breed/buy a new one if you want it so bad.
Pronouns: he/him or tiger/tigers/tigerself BUYING GEMS @ 1:600 Leayph My Bio/Writing Shop CHEAP Brewing Service + Materials Hatchery Flight Rising Library qAuPklL.png
[quote]Remember that newbies have only just joined the site. They very likely don't understand the value of their lair space yet - those first few spaces are cheap, so why not fill them up in an excited hurry! They also haven't had time to develop their tastes in dragons and, anyway, tastes change. They might join, get a few free dragons, decide a week in they want a themed lair because they've had a look around and seen some great themes, and those giveaway dragons don't fit any more. "Prettiness" is also subjective, and a newbie might take a free dragon because they're told it's valuable and nice, then realise it's not to their personal taste at all.[/quote] On the subject of new players and on the eve of a registration window, it's important everyone keeps this in mind. They are learning how they want to play the game, what they like, and what they do not like. It's wonderful, how much our community reaches out to our new players with such incredible generosity. They should not, however, be made to feel bad for discovering a dragon is not to their tastes, need Lair space, or decide to theme their Lair. This thread toes a line between dictating to people how to behave and constructive discussion. I want to thank everyone participating in a constructive manner. You're awesome. :)
Quote:
Remember that newbies have only just joined the site. They very likely don't understand the value of their lair space yet - those first few spaces are cheap, so why not fill them up in an excited hurry! They also haven't had time to develop their tastes in dragons and, anyway, tastes change. They might join, get a few free dragons, decide a week in they want a themed lair because they've had a look around and seen some great themes, and those giveaway dragons don't fit any more. "Prettiness" is also subjective, and a newbie might take a free dragon because they're told it's valuable and nice, then realise it's not to their personal taste at all.

On the subject of new players and on the eve of a registration window, it's important everyone keeps this in mind. They are learning how they want to play the game, what they like, and what they do not like.

It's wonderful, how much our community reaches out to our new players with such incredible generosity. They should not, however, be made to feel bad for discovering a dragon is not to their tastes, need Lair space, or decide to theme their Lair.

This thread toes a line between dictating to people how to behave and constructive discussion. I want to thank everyone participating in a constructive manner. You're awesome. :)
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14