Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | this isn't fun anymore
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75 76
@Sheba Oh, I agree there's craploads of money to be made. Quite frankly I've made an amount so large I'm not really comfortable posting it. XD And I'm enjoying that, [i]oh yes.[/i] Maybe too much. But the event as it is... meh. I'm not having fun with the event, I'm having fun with what it's done to the scroll market. [quote name="Exsanguinate" date="2014-12-23 14:19:22"]I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely. Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough. Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes. Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question. But is the event [i]fun[/i]? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one) Absolutely not.[/quote] Probably my favorite post on this thread, concise and my feelings exactly. Kudos to you for reminding me how much I miss the ability to like posts.
@Sheba
Oh, I agree there's craploads of money to be made. Quite frankly I've made an amount so large I'm not really comfortable posting it. XD
And I'm enjoying that, oh yes. Maybe too much.

But the event as it is... meh. I'm not having fun with the event, I'm having fun with what it's done to the scroll market.

Exsanguinate wrote on 2014-12-23 14:19:22:
I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely.

Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough.

Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes.

Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question.

But is the event fun? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one)

Absolutely not.

Probably my favorite post on this thread, concise and my feelings exactly. Kudos to you for reminding me how much I miss the ability to like posts.
@Quicksilver
I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to brag about what I get. I put in countless of hours coli grinding during all festivals because I adore hoarding things and grinding/farming is in my blood and something I really enjoy. The fact I get 150 chests per 30 mins is impressive even to me, and I shouldn't have to not talk about that. As much as people aren't enjoying this festival, I'm allowed to enjoy it. People are allowed to talk about the bad luck they have, so why can't I talk about what good old elbow grease gets me?

Me saying 'casual' was a joke, I'm not actually going to label anyone who plays a virtual pet site casual. I'm sorry you took that as an insult, but all it was was a joke.

Chin up sailor, maybe ol' santa Baku will visit you with a stack of chests within the hour to cheer up your festival. Happy Holidays!
@Quicksilver
I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to brag about what I get. I put in countless of hours coli grinding during all festivals because I adore hoarding things and grinding/farming is in my blood and something I really enjoy. The fact I get 150 chests per 30 mins is impressive even to me, and I shouldn't have to not talk about that. As much as people aren't enjoying this festival, I'm allowed to enjoy it. People are allowed to talk about the bad luck they have, so why can't I talk about what good old elbow grease gets me?

Me saying 'casual' was a joke, I'm not actually going to label anyone who plays a virtual pet site casual. I'm sorry you took that as an insult, but all it was was a joke.

Chin up sailor, maybe ol' santa Baku will visit you with a stack of chests within the hour to cheer up your festival. Happy Holidays!
gQvAL6D.gifBCTRfhj.gif
went through another 400+ chests

still no sign of an egg or scroll.

Might as well give up and sell the chests >.<
But you know, it's just really tempting to open them ^^
went through another 400+ chests

still no sign of an egg or scroll.

Might as well give up and sell the chests >.<
But you know, it's just really tempting to open them ^^
[quote name="Exsanguinate" date="2014-12-23 14:19:22"]I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely. Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough. Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes. Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question. But is the event [i]fun[/i]? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one) Absolutely not.[/quote] This. This precisely.

Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough.

Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes.

Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question.

But is the event fun? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one)

Absolutely not.
This. This precisely.
@Ankokou
Ah, I fully agree with phrasing it that way. I like my new riches, but I don't like the event in itself.

The bad thing is that I feel like everything could have been presented better.
- Rarer chests dropping more items would have strained the server, the time spent and the frustration less.
- Having an "open all" button like we have for the penny jars for these chests would have done the same.
- Doing this kind of event when we finally have keyboard functions in the coli would help people who can't enjoy the coli thanks to health issues.
- Or generally... introducing something new, which isn't "grind in the coli for X", which we have for every festival already. Except that this here is also completely luck-based, so it's not even guaranteed that hard work pays off if you hope to get something from your chests.
@Ankokou
Ah, I fully agree with phrasing it that way. I like my new riches, but I don't like the event in itself.

The bad thing is that I feel like everything could have been presented better.
- Rarer chests dropping more items would have strained the server, the time spent and the frustration less.
- Having an "open all" button like we have for the penny jars for these chests would have done the same.
- Doing this kind of event when we finally have keyboard functions in the coli would help people who can't enjoy the coli thanks to health issues.
- Or generally... introducing something new, which isn't "grind in the coli for X", which we have for every festival already. Except that this here is also completely luck-based, so it's not even guaranteed that hard work pays off if you hope to get something from your chests.
tumblr_nl9xvjI7se1tisuvqo2_500.png
[quote name="Silvanuyx" date="2014-12-23 14:48:20"][quote name="Exsanguinate" date="2014-12-23 14:19:22"]I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely. Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough. Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes. Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question. But is the event [i]fun[/i]? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one) Absolutely not.[/quote] This. This precisely.[/quote]
Silvanuyx wrote on 2014-12-23 14:48:20:

Absolutely not.
This. This precisely.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
[quote name="Bakrua" date="2014-12-23 13:25:55"][center][size=2] its funny to see people complain about having to grind/farm for something when i've been doing that my entire life on video games. World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2.. it's so common in games that you have to grind stuff. this is nothing in comparison. go play world of warcraft and have a 0.01% chance of having a mount drop from a boss you can only kill once a week. and then complain that your eggs (gasp) sometimes take 200-300 chests, even though it takes about (for me) 30 mins to grind 150 chests. this is nothing in comparison. sure there are genuine problems like the arena being broken, the gathering data being broken, etc, but stop whining about I HAVE TO GRIIIIIIND IN THE COLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WAHHHHHHH [/size] [s][size=1] casuals. [/size][/s][/center][/quote] Yeah, see, but World of Warcraft learned its lesson about low drop rate mounts somewhere around wrath of the lich king where they started attaching them to earnable glory of the raider achievements instead. And then they expanded on this by making end bosses have a 100% drop rate for mounts until the content was obsolete and then the mount rate was dropped to .1%. A prime example of this was the mount of hardmode Deathwing and then the mounts from the cutting edge Garrosh achievement. All 100% until a patch later when the rate was dropped to .1%. That way people could work for them while they were relevant and then anyone who couldn't or wasn't playing at the time still had a shot at a much lower drop later down the line when they can farm it. I'm honestly more impressed by someone who has a glory of the orgrimmar raider or challenge mode mount than someone who got lucky with the ashes of al'ar after Kael was no longer relevant and could be farmed by anyone at level 85+. One took work, the other took luck. They hit a happy medium by also keeping some rarer mounts (like the kor'kron juggernaut) on bosses, but also having guaranteed drops for people who were willing to work for them. THAT'S what this event is missing. I worked for the 487 chests I got, and it got me diddlysquat. I could literally earn chests for this entire two week period and get nothing - that's how low probability drop rates work. Also the term "grinding" originated from MMOs like ragnarok online and everquest where you grinded for exp and trade materials. There was no luck involved with it - you just stayed in one place and grinded out that 1% of exp or those fish that you needed to upgrade your armor. If you want to get into apt comparisons - this event can best be compared to the old events Neopets used to hold. Completely random and contingent on luck and part of the reason a huge portion of the userbase eventually left.
Bakrua wrote on 2014-12-23 13:25:55:
its funny to see people complain about having to grind/farm for something when i've been doing that my entire life on video games. World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2.. it's so common in games that you have to grind stuff. this is nothing in comparison.
go play world of warcraft and have a 0.01% chance of having a mount drop from a boss you can only kill once a week.
and then complain that your eggs (gasp) sometimes take 200-300 chests, even though it takes about (for me) 30 mins to grind 150 chests.
this is nothing in comparison. sure there are genuine problems like the arena being broken, the gathering data being broken, etc, but stop whining about I HAVE TO GRIIIIIIND IN THE COLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WAHHHHHHH

casuals.

Yeah, see, but World of Warcraft learned its lesson about low drop rate mounts somewhere around wrath of the lich king where they started attaching them to earnable glory of the raider achievements instead. And then they expanded on this by making end bosses have a 100% drop rate for mounts until the content was obsolete and then the mount rate was dropped to .1%. A prime example of this was the mount of hardmode Deathwing and then the mounts from the cutting edge Garrosh achievement. All 100% until a patch later when the rate was dropped to .1%. That way people could work for them while they were relevant and then anyone who couldn't or wasn't playing at the time still had a shot at a much lower drop later down the line when they can farm it. I'm honestly more impressed by someone who has a glory of the orgrimmar raider or challenge mode mount than someone who got lucky with the ashes of al'ar after Kael was no longer relevant and could be farmed by anyone at level 85+. One took work, the other took luck.

They hit a happy medium by also keeping some rarer mounts (like the kor'kron juggernaut) on bosses, but also having guaranteed drops for people who were willing to work for them. THAT'S what this event is missing. I worked for the 487 chests I got, and it got me diddlysquat. I could literally earn chests for this entire two week period and get nothing - that's how low probability drop rates work.

Also the term "grinding" originated from MMOs like ragnarok online and everquest where you grinded for exp and trade materials. There was no luck involved with it - you just stayed in one place and grinded out that 1% of exp or those fish that you needed to upgrade your armor.

If you want to get into apt comparisons - this event can best be compared to the old events Neopets used to hold. Completely random and contingent on luck and part of the reason a huge portion of the userbase eventually left.
The problem I find with this thread is that events are something extra.

Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's supposed to be, and we're lucky we got an event at all. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends.

Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get. If you don't like the event, then don't participate! Just stick to the things you know well. This event only lasts until early January. Then things like obtaining Nocturnes are going to get much, much easier, for everyone. Within literally weeks the entire site will be populated with Nocturnes via breeding, and if you're so frustrated, you're free to wait until then to buy your dragon.

Be grateful for what you have rather than focusing on everything else. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Gratitude?
The problem I find with this thread is that events are something extra.

Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's supposed to be, and we're lucky we got an event at all. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends.

Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get. If you don't like the event, then don't participate! Just stick to the things you know well. This event only lasts until early January. Then things like obtaining Nocturnes are going to get much, much easier, for everyone. Within literally weeks the entire site will be populated with Nocturnes via breeding, and if you're so frustrated, you're free to wait until then to buy your dragon.

Be grateful for what you have rather than focusing on everything else. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Gratitude?
@Spectrophile [quote]Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please?[/quote] And this is sadly where you are wrong. If it would be the case, then I would agree with you, but this event has massive effects on the rest of the site. There is this horrible lag, for example, but even if this gets fixed now, there's still other things. For example, I had to grudgingly change from the Kelp Beds to the Mire to level exalt fodder, which takes now far more time, because the Jawlockers in the Kelp beds are essentially Mammertees showing up in bunches of fours. Now imagine what an outrage this would have caused if there had been a really contested dom-fight like last week (I think it's only more or less Ice this week, right?). This event affects the site a LOT, even for people who don't want to participate.
@Spectrophile
Quote:
Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please?

And this is sadly where you are wrong. If it would be the case, then I would agree with you, but this event has massive effects on the rest of the site. There is this horrible lag, for example, but even if this gets fixed now, there's still other things. For example, I had to grudgingly change from the Kelp Beds to the Mire to level exalt fodder, which takes now far more time, because the Jawlockers in the Kelp beds are essentially Mammertees showing up in bunches of fours. Now imagine what an outrage this would have caused if there had been a really contested dom-fight like last week (I think it's only more or less Ice this week, right?). This event affects the site a LOT, even for people who don't want to participate.
tumblr_nl9xvjI7se1tisuvqo2_500.png
The purpose of events is to retain the player base, increase user activity, increase developer revenue, and to break the tedium of a game that's slow to evolve.

Events are hardly something extra, they're something that increases a game's revenue (unless you mess up tremendously), and keep the players on the site and involved with the community.

Things being handed to you, such as the April Fool's hats, are extra. Events are things that should be a mutual win for game developers and the players, because in addition to theoretically making players have a good time, the site gets more ad revenue (imagine how many page refreshes opening chests gets the site!) and premium currency sales as people scramble to buy shiny new things ASAP with gems. Events are also the most active period on the site; the forums are always active with raffles and generosity during them, which is a fun factor as well. Regular events retain players--potential revenue--by giving us something fun to look forward to and log on for.

I'd hardly consider that extra, lol.
The purpose of events is to retain the player base, increase user activity, increase developer revenue, and to break the tedium of a game that's slow to evolve.

Events are hardly something extra, they're something that increases a game's revenue (unless you mess up tremendously), and keep the players on the site and involved with the community.

Things being handed to you, such as the April Fool's hats, are extra. Events are things that should be a mutual win for game developers and the players, because in addition to theoretically making players have a good time, the site gets more ad revenue (imagine how many page refreshes opening chests gets the site!) and premium currency sales as people scramble to buy shiny new things ASAP with gems. Events are also the most active period on the site; the forums are always active with raffles and generosity during them, which is a fun factor as well. Regular events retain players--potential revenue--by giving us something fun to look forward to and log on for.

I'd hardly consider that extra, lol.
b6b79395300f38d126815a735af03192.pngtumblr_nkoy2v68mq1sjcj33o1_250.gif
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75 76