Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | this isn't fun anymore
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75 76
[quote name="Spectrophile" date="2014-12-23 15:07:12"] Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's [i]supposed[/i] to be, and [b]we're lucky we got an event at all[/b]. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends. [/quote] I don't feel lucky to get this event. It does not feel like a gift I should be grateful for. There was not supposed to be a December event at all. That's why the ice festival was moved to January. So everyone, including staff, could have some time off to enjoy the holidays. They [i]should[/i] be spending time with their family and friends rather than dealing with the fallout of an event that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Spectrophile wrote on 2014-12-23 15:07:12:
Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's supposed to be, and we're lucky we got an event at all. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends.

I don't feel lucky to get this event. It does not feel like a gift I should be grateful for. There was not supposed to be a December event at all. That's why the ice festival was moved to January. So everyone, including staff, could have some time off to enjoy the holidays. They should be spending time with their family and friends rather than dealing with the fallout of an event that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
tumblr_inline_nwui6x4Zpo1t7d5o3_500.gif
I don't get the "it's only two days into a two week event, why are people complaining???" mentality. I don't need two weeks to figure out whether or not I'm having fun. If I'm only two or three days in and feeling annoyed, the event isn't fun for me. End of. :|
I don't get the "it's only two days into a two week event, why are people complaining???" mentality. I don't need two weeks to figure out whether or not I'm having fun. If I'm only two or three days in and feeling annoyed, the event isn't fun for me. End of. :|
"I truly am a thing! Them be bushes, those are also things. I'm currently standing on the ground which, believe it or not, is also a thing. And behind me is the sky...oh yeah, that's a thing, too!" -Raocow
[quote name="Sheba" date="2014-12-23 15:12:28"]And this is sadly where you are wrong. If it would be the case, then I would agree with you, but this event has massive effects on the rest of the site. There is this horrible lag, for example, but even if this gets fixed now, there's still other things. For example, I had to grudgingly change from the Kelp Beds to the Mire to level exalt fodder, which takes now far more time, because the Jawlockers in the Kelp beds are essentially Mammertees showing up in bunches of fours. Now imagine what an outrage this would have caused if there had been a really contested dom-fight like last week (I think it's only more or less Ice this week, right?). This event affects the site a LOT, even for people who don't want to participate.[/quote] Oh, I don't doubt that it affects the site. I've noticed the lag myself, but the admins are obviously striving to fix it and that's taking up a fair bit of their spare time. Nonetheless, what I mean is, we have a site that functions 90% of the time. Yes, there's approximately half an hour of inactivity each day once the clock resets. Yes, there's copious lag during the beginning of events when the kinks haven't quite been worked out. However, it's overall not bad, and I think we should remember that when we're complaining about how terrible an event is. The admins are striving to do a little something extra for us users and in return we spit in their face because it's [i]not good enough[/i]. Does that strike anybody else as wrong, or is it just me?
Sheba wrote on 2014-12-23 15:12:28:
And this is sadly where you are wrong. If it would be the case, then I would agree with you, but this event has massive effects on the rest of the site. There is this horrible lag, for example, but even if this gets fixed now, there's still other things. For example, I had to grudgingly change from the Kelp Beds to the Mire to level exalt fodder, which takes now far more time, because the Jawlockers in the Kelp beds are essentially Mammertees showing up in bunches of fours. Now imagine what an outrage this would have caused if there had been a really contested dom-fight like last week (I think it's only more or less Ice this week, right?). This event affects the site a LOT, even for people who don't want to participate.

Oh, I don't doubt that it affects the site. I've noticed the lag myself, but the admins are obviously striving to fix it and that's taking up a fair bit of their spare time.

Nonetheless, what I mean is, we have a site that functions 90% of the time. Yes, there's approximately half an hour of inactivity each day once the clock resets. Yes, there's copious lag during the beginning of events when the kinks haven't quite been worked out. However, it's overall not bad, and I think we should remember that when we're complaining about how terrible an event is. The admins are striving to do a little something extra for us users and in return we spit in their face because it's not good enough. Does that strike anybody else as wrong, or is it just me?
[quote name="squidmagician" date="2014-12-23 15:17:50"]I don't feel lucky to get this event. It does not feel like a gift I should be grateful for. There was not supposed to be a December event at all. That's why the ice festival was moved to January. So everyone, including staff, could have some time off to enjoy the holidays. They [i]should[/i] be spending time with their family and friends rather than dealing with the fallout of an event that shouldn't have happened in the first place.[/quote] That's your own opinion and you're entitled to it, but the fact that they're trying to keep the userbase happy by giving them a Christmas event says something.
squidmagician wrote on 2014-12-23 15:17:50:
I don't feel lucky to get this event. It does not feel like a gift I should be grateful for. There was not supposed to be a December event at all. That's why the ice festival was moved to January. So everyone, including staff, could have some time off to enjoy the holidays. They should be spending time with their family and friends rather than dealing with the fallout of an event that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

That's your own opinion and you're entitled to it, but the fact that they're trying to keep the userbase happy by giving them a Christmas event says something.
[quote]Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get.[/quote] [quote]If you don't like the event, then don't participate![/quote] My friend found three nocturnes and has almost all the familiars. I've found one familiar in total. Other people have found nothing at all. None of these facts delegitimizes the opinions or constructive criticism or even praise of any of us. Or your opinion either. Like the event - a good number of people do! - but an opposing conclusion isn't inherently better or worse because the person behind it has had a different experience. (Because tone doesn't convey well through the internet, smiles and hugs here. Fo' serious. =D)
Quote:
Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get.
Quote:
If you don't like the event, then don't participate!

My friend found three nocturnes and has almost all the familiars. I've found one familiar in total. Other people have found nothing at all. None of these facts delegitimizes the opinions or constructive criticism or even praise of any of us. Or your opinion either. Like the event - a good number of people do! - but an opposing conclusion isn't inherently better or worse because the person behind it has had a different experience.

(Because tone doesn't convey well through the internet, smiles and hugs here. Fo' serious. =D)
NPpR96f.png
[quote name="Spectrophile" date="2014-12-23 15:07:12"]The problem I find with this thread is that events are something [b]extra[/b]. Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's [i]supposed[/i] to be, and we're lucky we got an event at all. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends. Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get. If you don't like the event, then don't participate! Just stick to the things you know well. This event only lasts until early January. Then things like obtaining Nocturnes are going to get much, much easier, for everyone. Within literally weeks the entire site will be populated with Nocturnes via breeding, and if you're so frustrated, you're free to wait until then to buy your dragon. Be grateful for what you have rather than focusing on everything else. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Gratitude?[/quote] You know alot of older players have dragons they'd like to scroll into nocturnes right? I don't give a dragons butt about how cheap bred nocturnes are going to be in a few weeks i want to breed change my irreplaceable old dragons into them thankyou. Also telling people "if you don't like it just don't participate!" would only make sense if this event were a charity which it is not. I'm sure the staff appreciate the jump in ad revenue they are getting with 6k+ people on site and booms flying off the preverbal shelves. I also find the idea that people like the challenge this event puts forth for bragging rights absurd. What is there to brag about exactly? It's all based in luck. I could open up 20 chests in a row and get a scroll in each one while some other poor sob spends 24hrs solid grinding and doesnt get jack diddly. Wheres the "challenge" in that? At least with the regular holiday grind once you do battle with the rng for tokens you can waltz over to the vendor and claim your hard earned prize. With this event you fight for chance at a chest which has a chance of a scroll. To much chance for my tastes. Add to it the chance that the coli may break and the chance you may lose items to lag and you've got a mess. No wonder folks aren't happy.
Spectrophile wrote on 2014-12-23 15:07:12:
The problem I find with this thread is that events are something extra.

Who are we to complain that this event isn't 'fun' enough, when we have an entire site to roam and play on as we please? Yes, the event is challenging. Yes, it's difficult to save up to buy a Nocturne, and it's even more difficult to find a Nocturne egg or a breed change scroll. It's difficult because it's supposed to be, and we're lucky we got an event at all. It's the holiday season and Flight Rising admins are taking the time to give back to the users, when they could be spending that time with their family and friends.

Don't nit pick the specifics of the event just because you aren't lucky enough to obtain something that literally everybody and their pet goldfish is striving to get. If you don't like the event, then don't participate! Just stick to the things you know well. This event only lasts until early January. Then things like obtaining Nocturnes are going to get much, much easier, for everyone. Within literally weeks the entire site will be populated with Nocturnes via breeding, and if you're so frustrated, you're free to wait until then to buy your dragon.

Be grateful for what you have rather than focusing on everything else. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Gratitude?

You know alot of older players have dragons they'd like to scroll into nocturnes right? I don't give a dragons butt about how cheap bred nocturnes are going to be in a few weeks i want to breed change my irreplaceable old dragons into them thankyou.

Also telling people "if you don't like it just don't participate!" would only make sense if this event were a charity which it is not. I'm sure the staff appreciate the jump in ad revenue they are getting with 6k+ people on site and booms flying off the preverbal shelves.

I also find the idea that people like the challenge this event puts forth for bragging rights absurd. What is there to brag about exactly? It's all based in luck. I could open up 20 chests in a row and get a scroll in each one while some other poor sob spends 24hrs solid grinding and doesnt get jack diddly. Wheres the "challenge" in that?

At least with the regular holiday grind once you do battle with the rng for tokens you can waltz over to the vendor and claim your hard earned prize. With this event you fight for chance at a chest which has a chance of a scroll.

To much chance for my tastes. Add to it the chance that the coli may break and the chance you may lose items to lag and you've got a mess. No wonder folks aren't happy.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
[quote name="Exsanguinate" date="2014-12-23 14:19:22"]I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely. Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough. Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes. Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question. But is the event [i]fun[/i]? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one) Absolutely not.[/quote] Circled and signed. I'm amazed that we have an event like this that punishes people with high levels in gathering. Issues like the gathering level problem absolutely [i]need[/i] to be fixed before having events like this. Some of us don't have time to coli. And, frankly, considering how utterly tedious coli is and the absurdly low drop chance of chests dropping anything useful, I don't want to. I ground coli for a few hours and I'm just done. I have better things to do than waste so much of my time grinding the coli. To the people who can do this for so long, I salute you.
Exsanguinate wrote on 2014-12-23 14:19:22:
I think a lot of people are missing the point of this thread entirely.

Is it possible to get nice things out of the event? Probably, if you take long enough.

Is the event fair? Aside from the fact that gathering is pretty screwy at high levels, yes.

Did the admins and coders put a lot of time and effort into this event? Without question.

But is the event fun? (Which should be a given in any game, especially a casual one)

Absolutely not.

Circled and signed. I'm amazed that we have an event like this that punishes people with high levels in gathering. Issues like the gathering level problem absolutely need to be fixed before having events like this.

Some of us don't have time to coli. And, frankly, considering how utterly tedious coli is and the absurdly low drop chance of chests dropping anything useful, I don't want to. I ground coli for a few hours and I'm just done. I have better things to do than waste so much of my time grinding the coli. To the people who can do this for so long, I salute you.
[quote name="Spectrophile" date="2014-12-23 15:21:05"] That's your own opinion and you're entitled to it, but the fact that they're trying to keep the userbase happy by giving them a Christmas event says something.[/quote] I honestly cannot imagine how they thought an event like this would make people happy. If I gave someone a Christmas present that consisted of a nicely wrapped box containing a single Cheeto, I would not expect them to be happy. And I wouldn't think giving them 50 boxes and telling them one of them [i]might[/i] contain an X-box would make them any happier about opening 50 single-Cheeto boxes. If you want to make someone happy and give back, you just give them something nice. You don't give them a .1% chance of getting something nice.
Spectrophile wrote on 2014-12-23 15:21:05:
That's your own opinion and you're entitled to it, but the fact that they're trying to keep the userbase happy by giving them a Christmas event says something.

I honestly cannot imagine how they thought an event like this would make people happy. If I gave someone a Christmas present that consisted of a nicely wrapped box containing a single Cheeto, I would not expect them to be happy. And I wouldn't think giving them 50 boxes and telling them one of them might contain an X-box would make them any happier about opening 50 single-Cheeto boxes.

If you want to make someone happy and give back, you just give them something nice. You don't give them a .1% chance of getting something nice.
tumblr_inline_nwui6x4Zpo1t7d5o3_500.gif
@Sheba

Thank you for posting that and opening my eyes. I'd been considering doing something similar, but only after one of the chests that I got myself through digging, buying or grinding produced an egg/scroll. Now I realize that I shouldn't be leaving my enjoyment of the festival up to RNG. Thank you.

My opinion on this whole subject matter: I agree with the majority in that hard work and determination have been showing nothing and it's kind of insulting. I'm on the really bad end of the stick considering in the 6 months I've spent here, I never bothered to raise a Coli team, and I'm stuck with Lvl. 6 dragons that I frantically threw together, but I have a high-leveled Scavenge and a good-level Dig, so I don't get as many chests through those medium. I'm lucky if I'll get 1 chest in an hour of grinding the Woodland Path. Couple that with average ~20 chests I get from digging, and you have a not-so-impressive number of chests that just have useless junk in them.
So it's not that fun for me. My poor excuse for grinding is lack-luster and downright boring. And there's nothing fun about opening up chests just to get food. It'd be nice if they increased the food points you got, raised the frequency of the familiars, or made the change to the Coliseum similar to the one @Ankokou suggested. Those type of changes would actually make it more fun or at least more enjoyable.
I know I probably don't have room to talk since I haven't put in as much effort as others, but that's my two cents.
@Sheba

Thank you for posting that and opening my eyes. I'd been considering doing something similar, but only after one of the chests that I got myself through digging, buying or grinding produced an egg/scroll. Now I realize that I shouldn't be leaving my enjoyment of the festival up to RNG. Thank you.

My opinion on this whole subject matter: I agree with the majority in that hard work and determination have been showing nothing and it's kind of insulting. I'm on the really bad end of the stick considering in the 6 months I've spent here, I never bothered to raise a Coli team, and I'm stuck with Lvl. 6 dragons that I frantically threw together, but I have a high-leveled Scavenge and a good-level Dig, so I don't get as many chests through those medium. I'm lucky if I'll get 1 chest in an hour of grinding the Woodland Path. Couple that with average ~20 chests I get from digging, and you have a not-so-impressive number of chests that just have useless junk in them.
So it's not that fun for me. My poor excuse for grinding is lack-luster and downright boring. And there's nothing fun about opening up chests just to get food. It'd be nice if they increased the food points you got, raised the frequency of the familiars, or made the change to the Coliseum similar to the one @Ankokou suggested. Those type of changes would actually make it more fun or at least more enjoyable.
I know I probably don't have room to talk since I haven't put in as much effort as others, but that's my two cents.
tumblr_inline_njw5iq49Rc1qg2i5p.gif
[quote name="Bark" date="2014-12-23 14:15:44"][center][url=http://i.imgur.com/QE3Geso.jpg][img]https://www.fimfiction-static.net/images/avatars/66680_256.jpg[/img][/url][/center][/quote] The ride truly never ends.
Bark wrote on 2014-12-23 14:15:44:
66680_256.jpg

The ride truly never ends.
ci3UVKu.png
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75 76