Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Great Toenail Challenge
1 2 3 4 5
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/HgmRv39.png[/img][/center] ------- So, this all started with a simple comment: [quote name="Azurenight" date="2018-03-28 15:13:18" ] @/ Disillusionist Seriously though, with your writing skill you could write about cutting toenails and it would be riveting, so however you enhance their lore it would be wonderful. =) [/quote] And I started to think, yeah, that is actually possible. Before I knew what hit me I had a few ideas in my head all of them revolved around cutting toenails. And I wasn't the only one that thought that... [quote name="Disillusionist" date="2018-03-29 02:53:07" ] @/ Azurenight ... Aaaaaannd now I wanna try writing about cutting toenails, just to see how riveting I can make it. Maybe one of my dergs can model for us. XDD... [/quote] There are a great many prompts out there, but how often do you see something as strange as this? So my goal is to challenge as many people as possible to write about clipping toenails. How many of you can make such a hum drum (and often disgusting) act of every day life the most riveting story ever written? ------- [center][size=6][Font=Century Gothic][color=bac07c]Rules:[/size][/font][/color] Every good challenge has to have'em we all know that. First and foremost however, it should go without saying that all writing should conform to Flight Rising's rules and regulations. [/center] [center]Now for the rest of the rules:[/center] [LIST] [*]The story [i]must[/i] be about cutting toenails. Yeah, it can lead up to something else, but it [i]has[/i] to revolve about the clipping of those talons. [*]Any genre is welcome-- [i]Hey, goth mystery thriller hero's have to cut their toenails too[/i]. [*]Verse or Prose or Comics, any way you can think of to convey your idea is welcome. [*]I suggest keeping the word limit at 1500. This makes for a reasonable read. However, I am the last person to suppress anyone's creativity, so if you get on a roll with the clippings then by all means keep rolling =) [*]Polite conversations are encouraged. [*]This is all about the fun so please keep criticisms to yourself. If asked for feedback, please keep it polite and constructive. [*]There is no due date. Take all the time you need. [*]Pinging other people is awesome, just make sure it's acceptable to the people you are summoning. [*]The lifeforms being "[i]toenail'd[/i]" are up to you, there is no limitation on what creature you can use. [*]There is no sign up sheet to fill in. Just pull up a post and make your writing comfortable. That's all you have to do. [*]Finally, you [i]must[/i], [i]absolutely must[/i], have a great deal of fun! That's a must people no excuses or leeway there! [/LIST] [center]Well that's it. Let the clipping commence![/center] [center][size=2]@Disillusionist, told ya I would ;)[/size][/center]
HgmRv39.png

So, this all started with a simple comment:
Azurenight wrote on 2018-03-28 15:13:18:
@/ Disillusionist
Seriously though, with your writing skill you could write about cutting toenails and it would be riveting, so however you enhance their lore it would be wonderful. =)
And I started to think, yeah, that is actually possible. Before I knew what hit me I had a few ideas in my head all of them revolved around cutting toenails. And I wasn't the only one that thought that...
Disillusionist wrote on 2018-03-29 02:53:07:
@/ Azurenight ... Aaaaaannd now I wanna try writing about cutting toenails, just to see how riveting I can make it. Maybe one of my dergs can model for us. XDD...
There are a great many prompts out there, but how often do you see something as strange as this? So my goal is to challenge as many people as possible to write about clipping toenails. How many of you can make such a hum drum (and often disgusting) act of every day life the most riveting story ever written?
Rules:
Every good challenge has to have'em we all know that. First and foremost however, it should go without saying that all writing should conform to Flight Rising's rules and regulations.
Now for the rest of the rules:
  • The story must be about cutting toenails. Yeah, it can lead up to something else, but it has to revolve about the clipping of those talons.
  • Any genre is welcome-- Hey, goth mystery thriller hero's have to cut their toenails too.
  • Verse or Prose or Comics, any way you can think of to convey your idea is welcome.
  • I suggest keeping the word limit at 1500. This makes for a reasonable read. However, I am the last person to suppress anyone's creativity, so if you get on a roll with the clippings then by all means keep rolling =)
  • Polite conversations are encouraged.
  • This is all about the fun so please keep criticisms to yourself. If asked for feedback, please keep it polite and constructive.
  • There is no due date. Take all the time you need.
  • Pinging other people is awesome, just make sure it's acceptable to the people you are summoning.
  • The lifeforms being "toenail'd" are up to you, there is no limitation on what creature you can use.
  • There is no sign up sheet to fill in. Just pull up a post and make your writing comfortable. That's all you have to do.
  • Finally, you must, absolutely must, have a great deal of fun! That's a must people no excuses or leeway there!

Well that's it. Let the clipping commence!

@Disillusionist, told ya I would ;)
buffer text buffer text Tropical post card that says, Hello from The Explorer's Club.  Wish you were here
buffer text
Coming
Soon
ohhhh i need to do this sometime.

i'll be back soon. hopefully...
ohhhh i need to do this sometime.

i'll be back soon. hopefully...

2rgc1ud.png

voltron_fanhubbg.png[/center]

0Vit0p7.png
PIaTt6Y.png
fmHZU3J.png
1FuP1GN.png
@Azurenight* *smashes the door in* YES HI I AM HERE AND I WANT TO WRITE ABOUT TOENAILS :DDDD

But seriously, AW YISS!!!!!!!! Is there a due date for this, or can we just pop in and jump out any time? ^^
@Azurenight* *smashes the door in* YES HI I AM HERE AND I WANT TO WRITE ABOUT TOENAILS :DDDD

But seriously, AW YISS!!!!!!!! Is there a due date for this, or can we just pop in and jump out any time? ^^
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
Ooooh LOL, this actually looks like it might be really fun!! So many ideas already hehehe might do this!~
Ooooh LOL, this actually looks like it might be really fun!! So many ideas already hehehe might do this!~
a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

@Azurenight
This would be interesting to do. Is there a due date, sign-up sheet, etc.?
@Azurenight
This would be interesting to do. Is there a due date, sign-up sheet, etc.?
@Azurenight

Do we post here, or somewhere else? Also, can we ping friends who might be interested in the read, or shamelessly advertise our writing shops at the end of the story? Also, whose toenails? I assumed human at first, but then you mentioned talons. So, any restrictions on the species of the toenail'd?
@Azurenight

Do we post here, or somewhere else? Also, can we ping friends who might be interested in the read, or shamelessly advertise our writing shops at the end of the story? Also, whose toenails? I assumed human at first, but then you mentioned talons. So, any restrictions on the species of the toenail'd?
@Disillusionist, @Dragonartist24, @Cryoluxa

Hey there =)
To answer your questions, no due date and yes you can jump in and out at any time. There is no sign up sheet, just pop in and write. Yep, post here. Please ping as many as you wish, the more the merrier. And please do advertise at the end of the story, I mean you are writing about toenails if that doesn't impress potential customers I simply do not know what will. Also, no restriction on species being toenail'd. =)

Have fun =D
@Disillusionist, @Dragonartist24, @Cryoluxa

Hey there =)
To answer your questions, no due date and yes you can jump in and out at any time. There is no sign up sheet, just pop in and write. Yep, post here. Please ping as many as you wish, the more the merrier. And please do advertise at the end of the story, I mean you are writing about toenails if that doesn't impress potential customers I simply do not know what will. Also, no restriction on species being toenail'd. =)

Have fun =D
buffer text buffer text Tropical post card that says, Hello from The Explorer's Club.  Wish you were here
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@Azurenight Thanks for the info! ^^ Definitely got some ideas bouncing in mind already, haha!

@awaicu @After @CatkinStarchild This is the funniest I've prompt I've seen in my entire time on FR. Maybe you guys wanna give it a try? X3
@Azurenight Thanks for the info! ^^ Definitely got some ideas bouncing in mind already, haha!

@awaicu @After @CatkinStarchild This is the funniest I've prompt I've seen in my entire time on FR. Maybe you guys wanna give it a try? X3
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
And that's a boop
And that's a boop
buffer text
Coming
Soon
Ehhhh I'll go for a FR theme, then. Thanks for all the answers, @Azurenight! Here we go. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=116&bodygene=3&breed=10&element=10&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=48&auth=64ff0bb65a714567dc15875d10a2ced8006412bc&dummyext=prev.png[/img] A broad grin was stretched across his face, admiring his gigantic claws. The young Wildclaw had been growing it out to the best of his ability, stretching it back when he walked, and faking his daily tree trunk scratching. His mother had claimed that clawing up the trees helped to keep their claws sharp, but that seemed counter-intuitive to him. After all, from what she said, trying to scratch up rocks would blunt, or even damage his claws. He was proud of his gigantic toenails, and dreamed of the social status he'd receive from his fellow Wildclaws for being so clever. But it seemed that the dream was to be short-lived, as an imposing shadow passed over him. "Anton Razorbark, just [i]what[/i] do you think you're doing?!" Anton let out a yelp as he jumped up and spun around to face his mother's frightening visage and grand stature. Her claw tapped the stone she stood on in a measured rhythm, indicating her short patience. Anton's mind scrambled for an answer. "I was just...sharpening my claws!" he lied, half his mouth pulling up in an innocent grin, while the other side fell tellingly short. His green eyes were also filled with worry that he wouldn't be believed. His mother saw through the lie like a clear pool on a windless day. She hooked her claw under his and forced it up, toppling the tot onto his back in the process, as she scrutinized the claw. Her eyes quickly widened in alarm before narrowing again in a mother's wrath. "It looks like you haven't sharpened this in [i]weeks[/i]! What were you thinking?!" Anton glared up at her rebelliously. Then, true to their homeland's name, began shrieking. "I don't want to shorten them! I want to have the biggest claws in Sornieth! If I keep running on them, or scratching up trees with them, they'll [i]never[/i] grow!" Though still disgruntled -- and none too pleased with her son's tone -- the mother's expression softened some and she let loose a huff. Then, she set the claw back down and crouched next to Anton, pointing to his claws. "Do you see how thick they've gotten? How dull? All of that is dead claw matter. We sharpen our claws to get rid of that, so that our claws stay sharp, and can grow healthily. Your claws are thick, and unwieldy...and do you see how each is making a circle? They're longer than usual, yes, but they're going to grow right into the bottoms of your feet if you don't take care of them. You won't be able to eviscerate anything if all you have to fight with is the blunt back of your claw." The young Wildclaw angrily smacked his mother's hand away as he rolled back onto his feet and wailed, "I don't believe you! You just DON'T UNDERSTAND!" The young Wildclaw began to run away, not even noticing that his dull claws weren't picking up as much traction as they should have. His mother bore her teeth and a low, rumbling growl emanated from her throat at her son's insubordination. With one, giant leap, she passed over him and landed right in his path. Anton, in alarm, tried to dig a claw into the ground in order to make a sharp turn, but his claw was too dull and too thick, and only wound up making grooves in the dirt. His mother then snapped him up into her jaws, and leaped again, using her wings to carry them further through the air while her son squirmed. She ignored his shrieking and whining until finally, they arrived at a doctor's den. This doctor specialized in treating young Wildclaws, as was evidenced by all the patients waiting outside. Anton was set onto the ground to wait, but he couldn't help ogling the patients. One's arm was swollen, another sneezed every other second, with a pouting, younger Plague Wildclaw sitting next to him. The patients came and went, until finally, it was Anton's turn. He and his mother entered the den, where a friendly doctor awaited them. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=25&bodygene=10&breed=10&element=10&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=9&wings=146&auth=60a28f826a3915beed0d4f780965f076908f1c71&dummyext=prev.png[/img] "Well, hello, there!" cheerily but gently greeted the kindly doctor. "What's your name?" Anton grimaced, glaring with mistrust at this dragon. "His name is Anton," his mother answered, "And he thinks he knows better than I do how to take care of his claws." "Oh, I see," the doctor noted to the mother before smiling down at Anton. "Let's take a look, then, hm?" "No need," Atnon huffed. His mother set him down stubbornly on the examination stump. "Ah, I see... Don't like sharpening your claws, do you?" asked the doctor. "I want my claws to be bigger than anyone else's! Sharpening them only makes them smaller!" the defiant child proclaimed, jumping to his feet. His mother promptly sat him back down. "Ahh, I see... Well, Anton, you're right. Your claws will get bigger and bigger if you never sharpen them. Here, let me show you some dragons who tried that." Anton was stunned to hear the doctor take his side. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. He was also confused, though, why his mother didn't seem upset. She was just patiently waiting while the doctor rummaged through some pictures until he returned. "Ahh, here we are! Take a look at these dragons. Aren't their claws impressive?" Anton's eyes widened at the pictures. One was of a Wildclaw whose claw had grown in a circle, and had pierced his own foot. The claw tip was even poking out of the top of his foot. Another picture was of a Wildclaw whose claw was all gross, cracked, and bleeding. It looked really thick, but not really sharp. Another Wildclaw's claw was barely holding onto the foot, about to fall off. It was also very thick... Anton's expression turned into a fearful grimace. He didn't want to wind up like these Wildclaws! He didn't want to say he was wrong, either, but...which was worse? These pictures were disgusting, and frightening! "I...I don't want claws like [i]those[/i]," Anton told the adults in the den. "Oh? Why not? Look how big they are!" the doctor innocently asked, shoving the pictures into Anton's face. "No!" The young Wildclaw reared his hind legs and kicked the pictures away, out of the doctor's hand. "They're gross and look like they hurt! I don't want claws like that! I want [i]healthy[/i] claws! I'll sharpen my claws every day! I [i]promise[/i]!" The adults smiled, but not maliciously. Then the doctor told Anton, "I'm glad you think so. These are very serious conditions that can be avoided by sharpening your claws often. But yours have a lot of excess claw matter on them right now. I have to take that off, or you'll wind up like the dragons in those pictures. I'll be gentle, so you don't have to worry, but your claws will be sensitive for a while. You still need to sharpen them every day, but sharpen them on soft, cool things until they harden enough to scratch at trees, okay?" Anton was nervous, but he agreed. Then, the doctor began gently filing at Anton's claws, removing the dead, outer layers until the claw's healthy, inner layers were free. Then, as carefully and gently as he could, he clipped Anton's claws back to a normal length. With every snip, Anton winced, but he didn't say anything. And finally, his claws were free. They felt sensitive and soft, but they felt clean and pretty healthy, too. He walked slowly for a while after that, but after some time went by, Anton was able to run and claw better than he had before his doctor visit. Anton never skipped sharpening his claws again, and he grew into a swift and strong adult, and a keen hunter, as a result. The End. Liked the story? You can find my writing shop [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/2364938/1]here[/url]. I'll ping people later, when I can remember who might like this story, eheh.
Ehhhh I'll go for a FR theme, then. Thanks for all the answers, @Azurenight!

Here we go.

dragon?age=0&body=116&bodygene=3&breed=10&element=10&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=6&wings=48&auth=64ff0bb65a714567dc15875d10a2ced8006412bc&dummyext=prev.png

A broad grin was stretched across his face, admiring his gigantic claws. The young Wildclaw had been growing it out to the best of his ability, stretching it back when he walked, and faking his daily tree trunk scratching. His mother had claimed that clawing up the trees helped to keep their claws sharp, but that seemed counter-intuitive to him. After all, from what she said, trying to scratch up rocks would blunt, or even damage his claws. He was proud of his gigantic toenails, and dreamed of the social status he'd receive from his fellow Wildclaws for being so clever.

But it seemed that the dream was to be short-lived, as an imposing shadow passed over him.

"Anton Razorbark, just what do you think you're doing?!"

Anton let out a yelp as he jumped up and spun around to face his mother's frightening visage and grand stature. Her claw tapped the stone she stood on in a measured rhythm, indicating her short patience. Anton's mind scrambled for an answer.

"I was just...sharpening my claws!" he lied, half his mouth pulling up in an innocent grin, while the other side fell tellingly short. His green eyes were also filled with worry that he wouldn't be believed.

His mother saw through the lie like a clear pool on a windless day. She hooked her claw under his and forced it up, toppling the tot onto his back in the process, as she scrutinized the claw. Her eyes quickly widened in alarm before narrowing again in a mother's wrath.

"It looks like you haven't sharpened this in weeks! What were you thinking?!"

Anton glared up at her rebelliously. Then, true to their homeland's name, began shrieking. "I don't want to shorten them! I want to have the biggest claws in Sornieth! If I keep running on them, or scratching up trees with them, they'll never grow!"

Though still disgruntled -- and none too pleased with her son's tone -- the mother's expression softened some and she let loose a huff. Then, she set the claw back down and crouched next to Anton, pointing to his claws. "Do you see how thick they've gotten? How dull? All of that is dead claw matter. We sharpen our claws to get rid of that, so that our claws stay sharp, and can grow healthily. Your claws are thick, and unwieldy...and do you see how each is making a circle? They're longer than usual, yes, but they're going to grow right into the bottoms of your feet if you don't take care of them. You won't be able to eviscerate anything if all you have to fight with is the blunt back of your claw."

The young Wildclaw angrily smacked his mother's hand away as he rolled back onto his feet and wailed, "I don't believe you! You just DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

The young Wildclaw began to run away, not even noticing that his dull claws weren't picking up as much traction as they should have. His mother bore her teeth and a low, rumbling growl emanated from her throat at her son's insubordination. With one, giant leap, she passed over him and landed right in his path. Anton, in alarm, tried to dig a claw into the ground in order to make a sharp turn, but his claw was too dull and too thick, and only wound up making grooves in the dirt. His mother then snapped him up into her jaws, and leaped again, using her wings to carry them further through the air while her son squirmed.

She ignored his shrieking and whining until finally, they arrived at a doctor's den. This doctor specialized in treating young Wildclaws, as was evidenced by all the patients waiting outside. Anton was set onto the ground to wait, but he couldn't help ogling the patients. One's arm was swollen, another sneezed every other second, with a pouting, younger Plague Wildclaw sitting next to him. The patients came and went, until finally, it was Anton's turn. He and his mother entered the den, where a friendly doctor awaited them.

dragon?age=1&body=25&bodygene=10&breed=10&element=10&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=9&wings=146&auth=60a28f826a3915beed0d4f780965f076908f1c71&dummyext=prev.png

"Well, hello, there!" cheerily but gently greeted the kindly doctor. "What's your name?"

Anton grimaced, glaring with mistrust at this dragon.

"His name is Anton," his mother answered, "And he thinks he knows better than I do how to take care of his claws."

"Oh, I see," the doctor noted to the mother before smiling down at Anton. "Let's take a look, then, hm?"

"No need," Atnon huffed. His mother set him down stubbornly on the examination stump.

"Ah, I see... Don't like sharpening your claws, do you?" asked the doctor.

"I want my claws to be bigger than anyone else's! Sharpening them only makes them smaller!" the defiant child proclaimed, jumping to his feet. His mother promptly sat him back down.

"Ahh, I see... Well, Anton, you're right. Your claws will get bigger and bigger if you never sharpen them. Here, let me show you some dragons who tried that."

Anton was stunned to hear the doctor take his side. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. He was also confused, though, why his mother didn't seem upset. She was just patiently waiting while the doctor rummaged through some pictures until he returned.

"Ahh, here we are! Take a look at these dragons. Aren't their claws impressive?"

Anton's eyes widened at the pictures. One was of a Wildclaw whose claw had grown in a circle, and had pierced his own foot. The claw tip was even poking out of the top of his foot. Another picture was of a Wildclaw whose claw was all gross, cracked, and bleeding. It looked really thick, but not really sharp. Another Wildclaw's claw was barely holding onto the foot, about to fall off. It was also very thick...

Anton's expression turned into a fearful grimace. He didn't want to wind up like these Wildclaws! He didn't want to say he was wrong, either, but...which was worse? These pictures were disgusting, and frightening!

"I...I don't want claws like those," Anton told the adults in the den.

"Oh? Why not? Look how big they are!" the doctor innocently asked, shoving the pictures into Anton's face.

"No!" The young Wildclaw reared his hind legs and kicked the pictures away, out of the doctor's hand. "They're gross and look like they hurt! I don't want claws like that! I want healthy claws! I'll sharpen my claws every day! I promise!"

The adults smiled, but not maliciously. Then the doctor told Anton, "I'm glad you think so. These are very serious conditions that can be avoided by sharpening your claws often. But yours have a lot of excess claw matter on them right now. I have to take that off, or you'll wind up like the dragons in those pictures. I'll be gentle, so you don't have to worry, but your claws will be sensitive for a while. You still need to sharpen them every day, but sharpen them on soft, cool things until they harden enough to scratch at trees, okay?"

Anton was nervous, but he agreed. Then, the doctor began gently filing at Anton's claws, removing the dead, outer layers until the claw's healthy, inner layers were free. Then, as carefully and gently as he could, he clipped Anton's claws back to a normal length. With every snip, Anton winced, but he didn't say anything. And finally, his claws were free. They felt sensitive and soft, but they felt clean and pretty healthy, too. He walked slowly for a while after that, but after some time went by, Anton was able to run and claw better than he had before his doctor visit. Anton never skipped sharpening his claws again, and he grew into a swift and strong adult, and a keen hunter, as a result.

The End.

Liked the story? You can find my writing shop here.

I'll ping people later, when I can remember who might like this story, eheh.
1 2 3 4 5