Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of December
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hi all! I completely disappeared from this thread last month because of various real life stuffs. None of which include NaNo. I attempted to start the novelization of the video game Fable 2 when I discovered how hard it is. Yay. Anyway. I have another lore done finally, but I'd like to get opinions and critiques. Here's the dragon with the lore. The Micro lore there at the bottom is from his lore hatchery that i bought him from. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28148991] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/281490/28148991_350.png[/img] [/url]
Hi all! I completely disappeared from this thread last month because of various real life stuffs. None of which include NaNo. I attempted to start the novelization of the video game Fable 2 when I discovered how hard it is. Yay. Anyway. I have another lore done finally, but I'd like to get opinions and critiques.

Here's the dragon with the lore. The Micro lore there at the bottom is from his lore hatchery that i bought him from.

28148991_350.png

hANn2C0.gif
I won Nano for the first time this year! It was my third attempt and I managed to finish early ^-^ On an FR related note, I reopened my lore shop and have a few customers already, and got three more bios done in the past couple of days for these lovely gents: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13875154] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/138752/13875154_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20249243] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/202493/20249243_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21600430] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/216005/21600430_350.png[/img] [/url] They were a lot of fun to write, and I'm itching to get more done ^-^
I won Nano for the first time this year! It was my third attempt and I managed to finish early ^-^

On an FR related note, I reopened my lore shop and have a few customers already, and got three more bios done in the past couple of days for these lovely gents:

13875154_350.png

20249243_350.png

21600430_350.png

They were a lot of fun to write, and I'm itching to get more done ^-^
c46cAiS.png
l74MzJv.png
@MeraHunt Interesting opening on that lore. I'm not sure how far in depth you want to put into things, but it might not be a bad practice to put in some small details to help show the character's motives, rather than just telling the reader everything. [quote]Long has the Skydancer been plagued by visions of dark tidings, [b]dreams that woke him tangled in his blankets on moonless nights. His mouth dry from gibbering into the listening darkness. [/b]. He loved his birth lair, but as time passed he knew it wasn’t for him.[b] He found himself fidgeting and distracted during the day and starting petty arguments over nothing at all.[/b] Once [b]his restlessness was noticed he [/b]was given permission he gathered his things,[b] mostly old, hoarded foods he knew the Clan wouldn't miss,[/b] said his [b]brief[/b] goodbyes, and left. For those in his old clan, that was the last they ever heard of him.[/quote] I only took a brief cursory stab at adding some details in bold. But in the first addition you could see some examples of why his old clan wasn't for him, he wasn't getting along with others and wasn't engaged in any jobs he may have had. He also shows he's not attached by not having anything to bring woth mentioning with him, no mementos so no fond memories, just taking bland or overlooked food for a trip (I was also considering a flint and tinder, but don't know how techy your dragons are). Overall, I do like his bio, it certainly does a great job of introducing him and his character quickly, but I only have his character as described. It's just a personal thing of mine but I do like to know why a character is the way they are, or see them "touching" the set pieces around them. Just so I get a bit more detail about the quality of their personality. But again, that's just me. -------------------------- Meanwhile, November was a bust. Got started very well, got a lot of work done, and then RL jumped down my throat, halfway through the month. Mom had more surgery and starts chemo sometime later this month. But there were two nice things that happened to me (three if you want to count the writing related one). Meet Silteth, I finally found one of my progen clones! 1gen Stone/Aqua/Fire Arcane noc. Currently in a spot of trouble because she stared into an Infused crystal for too long and thinks her weird dreams are related to that. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9153466] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/91535/9153466_350.png[/img] [/url] Deadshot has gone from being a so-so Guardian to a cool looking Boggy. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18060871] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/180609/18060871_350.png[/img] [/url]
@MeraHunt

Interesting opening on that lore. I'm not sure how far in depth you want to put into things, but it might not be a bad practice to put in some small details to help show the character's motives, rather than just telling the reader everything.
Quote:
Long has the Skydancer been plagued by visions of dark tidings, dreams that woke him tangled in his blankets on moonless nights. His mouth dry from gibbering into the listening darkness. . He loved his birth lair, but as time passed he knew it wasn’t for him. He found himself fidgeting and distracted during the day and starting petty arguments over nothing at all. Once his restlessness was noticed he was given permission he gathered his things, mostly old, hoarded foods he knew the Clan wouldn't miss, said his brief goodbyes, and left. For those in his old clan, that was the last they ever heard of him.

I only took a brief cursory stab at adding some details in bold. But in the first addition you could see some examples of why his old clan wasn't for him, he wasn't getting along with others and wasn't engaged in any jobs he may have had. He also shows he's not attached by not having anything to bring woth mentioning with him, no mementos so no fond memories, just taking bland or overlooked food for a trip (I was also considering a flint and tinder, but don't know how techy your dragons are).

Overall, I do like his bio, it certainly does a great job of introducing him and his character quickly, but I only have his character as described. It's just a personal thing of mine but I do like to know why a character is the way they are, or see them "touching" the set pieces around them. Just so I get a bit more detail about the quality of their personality. But again, that's just me.

Meanwhile, November was a bust. Got started very well, got a lot of work done, and then RL jumped down my throat, halfway through the month. Mom had more surgery and starts chemo sometime later this month.

But there were two nice things that happened to me (three if you want to count the writing related one).

Meet Silteth, I finally found one of my progen clones! 1gen Stone/Aqua/Fire Arcane noc. Currently in a spot of trouble because she stared into an Infused crystal for too long and thinks her weird dreams are related to that.

9153466_350.png

Deadshot has gone from being a so-so Guardian to a cool looking Boggy.

18060871_350.png

Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
@Amut

Thanks for the tips! Getting his bio down has been one of the hardest so far haha. The few bits you add for examples gave me a couple of ideas of what else I could put in there, and a better idea of what his personality should be.
@Amut

Thanks for the tips! Getting his bio down has been one of the hardest so far haha. The few bits you add for examples gave me a couple of ideas of what else I could put in there, and a better idea of what his personality should be.
hANn2C0.gif
@velg Woo, congrats on pulling off your last-minute crunch! I've never written 20k in 5 days myself (well, not 20k of new fiction, anyway). Nice work!

@SadariEvenstar Usually in December, I feel as it "Whoa, what happened to this year?" at some point. This year it's more like "OH THANK GOODNESS THIS HORRIBLE YEAR WILL FINALLY STOP."

@micahjaguar I haven't gotten back to The Sun Etherium, but I read Birthright finally and I actually like it. It needs work, but I think it'll be a good book, with some additional research and editing. Now I just need to get my act together and do that stuff. Sigh.

@lamarqueisdead Have you made your decision on which order to write the chapters yet? I do not envy you all the drawing involved in a comic. Oif. I love reading comics, but I've tried drawing them a few times and I just don't have it in me. Someone would have to power-level my drawing first. c_c

@TheDragonsQueen Yay! Congrats on winning Nano early! I was really pleased that finishing The Sun Etherium for Nano was exactly enough to win. :D I hope you're able to finish your book soon. The one time I tried Nano before, I won but never finished the novel. :/

@Karika D'aww, congrats on all those familiars! I think you might have even more than I do, now.
I can't really edit on my phone, so I'm doing some writing on it when I'm away from the computer (on the walk to/from work, on the exercise bike, at lunch, etc.) I am trying to stick to editing when I'm at my computer, but. Um. It's hard. Ugh, editing.

@MawkishMuse I don't know if it's for editing for other people! It is for editing for me because I have TOO MANY DRAFTS. I gotta edit 'em sometime.
And hey, 33K is nothing to sneer at! That's a lot of words for one month. And a completed story is great, too. Finishing things is important!

@VioletWhirlwind Eeep! Yes, time for a fresh start. Finishing things is good, but if you can't get yourself to work on a current project, much better to start a new one than to let the old one block you forever.

@TheMaskedHunter Congrats on the Nano win! *high-5s*

@LadyKnightKatsa Fun! I've had some dreams that I've been tempted to turn into stories, but never have. I did one turn a friend's dream in a story, though. :D

@MeraHunt Aww, poor Maarvulon got some help at last! So sweet.
On the fleshing-out note that Amut suggested: I prefer to give specifics. So, for example, instead of saying "he had terrible visions", I'd describe what happened in one of the visions. Does he see all his friends die? Or eldritch horrors stalking the land? Or an apocalypse that sets the world on fire? That sort of thing.

@SocialBookWorm Extra congrats on your first Nano win! \o/

@Amut Half a month of writing is better than none! I hope your Mom gets better soon. Yikes, chemo. :( And eep, poor Silteth! Rough life, not knowing if you're awake or dreaming.

So I have three complete-but-unedited drafts for books. Two of them are books 1 & 2 of the same series: The Warlock, the Hare and the Dragon and Birthright. I started editing those two this month. I've been working on these books off and on since 2003, so I began by skimming through the books, summarizing what happens in each scene, and making notes about what I want to change.

I have 12k of summary + notes now.
I feel like I need to write a summary of my summary. BUT I WON'T BECAUSE THAT WAY LIES MADNESS.

Anyway, I do need to go through the notes and figure out what I'm doing in what order and make some more notes about things I want to standardize and I am procrastinating on this by posting here because ugh. Editing. WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBLE, EDITING.

When I'm away from my computer, I've been mostly working on my self-indulgent story instead, and have done about 8k of it. I kind of want to switch to something a little less self-indulgent that I am more likely to do something with if I finish it, though.

How's everyone else doing?
@velg Woo, congrats on pulling off your last-minute crunch! I've never written 20k in 5 days myself (well, not 20k of new fiction, anyway). Nice work!

@SadariEvenstar Usually in December, I feel as it "Whoa, what happened to this year?" at some point. This year it's more like "OH THANK GOODNESS THIS HORRIBLE YEAR WILL FINALLY STOP."

@micahjaguar I haven't gotten back to The Sun Etherium, but I read Birthright finally and I actually like it. It needs work, but I think it'll be a good book, with some additional research and editing. Now I just need to get my act together and do that stuff. Sigh.

@lamarqueisdead Have you made your decision on which order to write the chapters yet? I do not envy you all the drawing involved in a comic. Oif. I love reading comics, but I've tried drawing them a few times and I just don't have it in me. Someone would have to power-level my drawing first. c_c

@TheDragonsQueen Yay! Congrats on winning Nano early! I was really pleased that finishing The Sun Etherium for Nano was exactly enough to win. :D I hope you're able to finish your book soon. The one time I tried Nano before, I won but never finished the novel. :/

@Karika D'aww, congrats on all those familiars! I think you might have even more than I do, now.
I can't really edit on my phone, so I'm doing some writing on it when I'm away from the computer (on the walk to/from work, on the exercise bike, at lunch, etc.) I am trying to stick to editing when I'm at my computer, but. Um. It's hard. Ugh, editing.

@MawkishMuse I don't know if it's for editing for other people! It is for editing for me because I have TOO MANY DRAFTS. I gotta edit 'em sometime.
And hey, 33K is nothing to sneer at! That's a lot of words for one month. And a completed story is great, too. Finishing things is important!

@VioletWhirlwind Eeep! Yes, time for a fresh start. Finishing things is good, but if you can't get yourself to work on a current project, much better to start a new one than to let the old one block you forever.

@TheMaskedHunter Congrats on the Nano win! *high-5s*

@LadyKnightKatsa Fun! I've had some dreams that I've been tempted to turn into stories, but never have. I did one turn a friend's dream in a story, though. :D

@MeraHunt Aww, poor Maarvulon got some help at last! So sweet.
On the fleshing-out note that Amut suggested: I prefer to give specifics. So, for example, instead of saying "he had terrible visions", I'd describe what happened in one of the visions. Does he see all his friends die? Or eldritch horrors stalking the land? Or an apocalypse that sets the world on fire? That sort of thing.

@SocialBookWorm Extra congrats on your first Nano win! \o/

@Amut Half a month of writing is better than none! I hope your Mom gets better soon. Yikes, chemo. :( And eep, poor Silteth! Rough life, not knowing if you're awake or dreaming.

So I have three complete-but-unedited drafts for books. Two of them are books 1 & 2 of the same series: The Warlock, the Hare and the Dragon and Birthright. I started editing those two this month. I've been working on these books off and on since 2003, so I began by skimming through the books, summarizing what happens in each scene, and making notes about what I want to change.

I have 12k of summary + notes now.
I feel like I need to write a summary of my summary. BUT I WON'T BECAUSE THAT WAY LIES MADNESS.

Anyway, I do need to go through the notes and figure out what I'm doing in what order and make some more notes about things I want to standardize and I am procrastinating on this by posting here because ugh. Editing. WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBLE, EDITING.

When I'm away from my computer, I've been mostly working on my self-indulgent story instead, and have done about 8k of it. I kind of want to switch to something a little less self-indulgent that I am more likely to do something with if I finish it, though.

How's everyone else doing?
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowyn

I think I'm going to do the Con Caper first and then follow it up with the Kidnapping Plot. If the antagonist of the Kidnapping Plot became aware of the events of the Con Caper, it would be a better lead-in to the reason for him, well, kidnapping the character.

Since the Con Caper will feature the characters using their powers, it would be easier for them to be seen if it was in a public area like the convention, thus, the antagonist could see it on the news or the like and know who his target is.

Also, the Con Caper as a more "domestic" setting (meaning with a setting and main story that doesn't involve as much immediate peril right away) would be a better way to build characters than throwing them directly into a plot where one of the family gets kidnapped without knowing the family dynamics.
@LadyRowyn

I think I'm going to do the Con Caper first and then follow it up with the Kidnapping Plot. If the antagonist of the Kidnapping Plot became aware of the events of the Con Caper, it would be a better lead-in to the reason for him, well, kidnapping the character.

Since the Con Caper will feature the characters using their powers, it would be easier for them to be seen if it was in a public area like the convention, thus, the antagonist could see it on the news or the like and know who his target is.

Also, the Con Caper as a more "domestic" setting (meaning with a setting and main story that doesn't involve as much immediate peril right away) would be a better way to build characters than throwing them directly into a plot where one of the family gets kidnapped without knowing the family dynamics.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
@LadyRowyn Exactly. I am so ready to say goodbye to 2016, it has been train wreck from start to finish.

I haven't written anything substantial in a long time. I just feel so tired all the time lately. I've been having trouble with comparing myself to other people too. "Look what everyone else can do, you should be able to do it too." I know that's a bad road to go down but I still feel bad about my lack of being able to do all the things, all the time.
@LadyRowyn Exactly. I am so ready to say goodbye to 2016, it has been train wreck from start to finish.

I haven't written anything substantial in a long time. I just feel so tired all the time lately. I've been having trouble with comparing myself to other people too. "Look what everyone else can do, you should be able to do it too." I know that's a bad road to go down but I still feel bad about my lack of being able to do all the things, all the time.
OEbTfWA.pngQZBBtQI.png
@SadariEvenstar I wouldn't want you to compare yourself to other people because I don't want you to become like other people! I like the Sadari we have best. :) @Amut Deadshot looks pretty spiff. :D @TheMaskedHunter @Karika @TheDragonsQueen @SocialBookWorm Congrats on winning NaNo! What were your stories about? :) @MeraHunt That is one believably creepy-looking dragon. o_o @lamarqueisdead I think your instinct to do Kidnapping Plot second is a good one. :) @MawkishMuse Short stories are hard! You should totally be proud of yourself. :D @VioletWhirlwind If you were to shelf this idea, is there another idea that you'd be interested in doing instead? @LadyKnightKatsa Coding is hard. Unless you already like it! -_- @LadyRowyn *encourages you to edit!* I am quasi on vacation for the remainder of the year. So instead of talking about writing... show me your cute hatchies! I've been trying to pick my favorite of the ones that are tumbling around the lair, but it's hard to pick one. These are the ones I'm tempted to keep: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29043850] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/290439/29043850_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29091805] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/290919/29091805_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28999203] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289993/28999203_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28979895] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289799/28979895_350.png[/img] [/url] What have you all been hatching lately? :D
@SadariEvenstar I wouldn't want you to compare yourself to other people because I don't want you to become like other people! I like the Sadari we have best. :)

@Amut Deadshot looks pretty spiff. :D

@TheMaskedHunter @Karika @TheDragonsQueen @SocialBookWorm Congrats on winning NaNo! What were your stories about? :)

@MeraHunt That is one believably creepy-looking dragon. o_o

@lamarqueisdead I think your instinct to do Kidnapping Plot second is a good one. :)

@MawkishMuse Short stories are hard! You should totally be proud of yourself. :D

@VioletWhirlwind If you were to shelf this idea, is there another idea that you'd be interested in doing instead?

@LadyKnightKatsa Coding is hard. Unless you already like it! -_-

@LadyRowyn *encourages you to edit!*

I am quasi on vacation for the remainder of the year. So instead of talking about writing... show me your cute hatchies! I've been trying to pick my favorite of the ones that are tumbling around the lair, but it's hard to pick one. These are the ones I'm tempted to keep:

29043850_350.png

29091805_350.png

28999203_350.png

28979895_350.png

What have you all been hatching lately? :D
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@micahjaguar That last one is so pretty! I've been keeping so many of my hatchlings lately. I don't have the space to, but I've been having trouble saying no. I picked an heir for two dragons I got from @LadyRowyn. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28931146] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289312/28931146_350.png[/img] [/url] I think this guy is going to stay when this parents move on: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28932339] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289324/28932339_350.png[/img] [/url] And I'm keeping both of these children of @alpharaposa's Mica, though I'm not getting rid of the parents either. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28990516] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289906/28990516_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28990518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/289906/28990518_350.png[/img] [/url] I have a couple children of Remus and Takara up for grabs if anyone here wants one. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28838477] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/288385/28838477_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28838478] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/288385/28838478_350.png[/img] [/url]
@micahjaguar That last one is so pretty!

I've been keeping so many of my hatchlings lately. I don't have the space to, but I've been having trouble saying no.

I picked an heir for two dragons I got from @LadyRowyn.

28931146_350.png

I think this guy is going to stay when this parents move on:

28932339_350.png

And I'm keeping both of these children of @alpharaposa's Mica, though I'm not getting rid of the parents either.

28990516_350.png

28990518_350.png

I have a couple children of Remus and Takara up for grabs if anyone here wants one.

28838477_350.png

28838478_350.png

OEbTfWA.pngQZBBtQI.png
@Micahjaguar Yep... I may have to go buy a bio for Deadshot because I've got nothing on him so far. But I do love how circuit looks on bogs (i usually have super mixed feelings about that gene) And my current favorite hatchlings are these: [center] Chardonnay & Scarlatti's Ifrita [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29036037] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/290361/29036037_350.png[/img] [/url] Cinnamon/Lead/Orca Currrently Unnamed parents (but one's my magefae for Wintersun)'s Venom [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28851066] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/288511/28851066_350.png[/img] [/url] Hunter/Seafoam/Radioactive Dulcia and Atiya's Yetta [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28539934] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/285400/28539934_350.png[/img] [/url] Pear/Goldenrod/Cerise [/center] --------------------------- I do want to brag a bit about some new acquisitions of mine though. I have a new pair of leap year dragons, and they're going to make some interesting babies I hope (gotta switch Victori to Skink first though). [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21514296] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/215143/21514296_350.png[/img] [/url] Shadow [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21518088] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/215181/21518088_350.png[/img] [/url] Victoria And these two, name suggestions are most welcome [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28373604] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/283737/28373604_350.png[/img] [/url] Phthalo/White/White (also my first bogsnerk) and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28580447] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/285805/28580447_350.png[/img] [/url] Copper/Pistachio/White (total impulse baby buy) --------------------- @LadyRowyn Oh! And Wintersun has a newish look.... still need to get his bio update up though. Maybe later today.... [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22452063] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/224521/22452063_350.png[/img] [/url]
@Micahjaguar

Yep... I may have to go buy a bio for Deadshot because I've got nothing on him so far. But I do love how circuit looks on bogs (i usually have super mixed feelings about that gene)

And my current favorite hatchlings are these:
Chardonnay & Scarlatti's Ifrita

29036037_350.png

Cinnamon/Lead/Orca

Currrently Unnamed parents (but one's my magefae for Wintersun)'s Venom

28851066_350.png

Hunter/Seafoam/Radioactive

Dulcia and Atiya's Yetta

28539934_350.png

Pear/Goldenrod/Cerise

I do want to brag a bit about some new acquisitions of mine though.

I have a new pair of leap year dragons, and they're going to make some interesting babies I hope (gotta switch Victori to Skink first though).

21514296_350.png

Shadow

21518088_350.png

Victoria

And these two, name suggestions are most welcome

28373604_350.png

Phthalo/White/White (also my first bogsnerk)
and

28580447_350.png

Copper/Pistachio/White (total impulse baby buy)

@LadyRowyn

Oh! And Wintersun has a newish look.... still need to get his bio update up though. Maybe later today....

22452063_350.png

Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10