Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 73 74
This all looks fantastic!!

I do wonder about the removal of mass pings though. But I guess it may depends on how easy it is to transfer things over and curate the new ping-lists. Being able to add yourself is a bit confusing bc for certain user shops like skins and hatcheries there are separate lists for each thing, so adding yourself to the entire thread’s pinglist would sign you up for…well…everything else and not just the 1 thing you’d like.

I also wonder about only the thread owner being able to massive ping? Because on nest rentals, g1s, etc. how can people ping then?
This all looks fantastic!!

I do wonder about the removal of mass pings though. But I guess it may depends on how easy it is to transfer things over and curate the new ping-lists. Being able to add yourself is a bit confusing bc for certain user shops like skins and hatcheries there are separate lists for each thing, so adding yourself to the entire thread’s pinglist would sign you up for…well…everything else and not just the 1 thing you’d like.

I also wonder about only the thread owner being able to massive ping? Because on nest rentals, g1s, etc. how can people ping then?
fYQ6MnR.pnggiphy.gif
i don't think removing the ability to mass ping/use pinglists set up by other people was very well thought out... g1 & skin pinglists especially are kind of the only way for people to sell AND for other people to find any new dragons or skins for sale. plus how people have said, flight dom pushes and whatnot also need to keep large pinglists!

and because of how the mass pinging lists work, where there are for instance 50 options of what you want to be pinged for, and you can choose 1-50 of them, and then the list generated only includes people who want to be pinged for a specific dragon or type of skin.. this would be hard to implement as a site feature where people sign up for pings, even if it was possible to share the pinglists between players. the customization we currently have with things like GASP is just going to be hard to replicate onsite without a lot of options.

i do think having onsite pinglists so people don't have to keep their own doc lists of shop update pings is great, but the loss of ability to use these mass pinglists is going to really really cripple peoples' ability to buy and sell and participate in community events. i hope some fix is implemented since so many users are wary of this!
i don't think removing the ability to mass ping/use pinglists set up by other people was very well thought out... g1 & skin pinglists especially are kind of the only way for people to sell AND for other people to find any new dragons or skins for sale. plus how people have said, flight dom pushes and whatnot also need to keep large pinglists!

and because of how the mass pinging lists work, where there are for instance 50 options of what you want to be pinged for, and you can choose 1-50 of them, and then the list generated only includes people who want to be pinged for a specific dragon or type of skin.. this would be hard to implement as a site feature where people sign up for pings, even if it was possible to share the pinglists between players. the customization we currently have with things like GASP is just going to be hard to replicate onsite without a lot of options.

i do think having onsite pinglists so people don't have to keep their own doc lists of shop update pings is great, but the loss of ability to use these mass pinglists is going to really really cripple peoples' ability to buy and sell and participate in community events. i hope some fix is implemented since so many users are wary of this!
4F3aTxd.png
i really really like the pinglist feature!!!

question - are the subscription widgets not supposed to be impacted by alignment codes? i noticed trying to center a group of the subscription widgets does not work DDD:

nor can you place them side by side without using the columns function
i really really like the pinglist feature!!!

question - are the subscription widgets not supposed to be impacted by alignment codes? i noticed trying to center a group of the subscription widgets does not work DDD:

nor can you place them side by side without using the columns function
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="Vhou" date="2023-10-26 09:46:11" ] [quote]IMPORTANT NOTE: The ping command can only be used by the pinglist's creator, so no one can co-opt your pinglist to annoy other players.[/quote] This could very easily kill larger pinglists that have multiple people who use them, such as dom watch. Please consider either letting multiple people own a pinglist, or just let anyone use them. With the sunsetting of mass pings, this causes more issues than it will fix. [/quote] Also uhm, this literally kills the main function of mass pinglists-- accent selling and g1 pinglists, for example... those kind of require multiple people to be able to ping from the lists...
Vhou wrote on 2023-10-26 09:46:11:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ping command can only be used by the pinglist's creator, so no one can co-opt your pinglist to annoy other players.

This could very easily kill larger pinglists that have multiple people who use them, such as dom watch. Please consider either letting multiple people own a pinglist, or just let anyone use them. With the sunsetting of mass pings, this causes more issues than it will fix.

Also uhm, this literally kills the main function of mass pinglists-- accent selling and g1 pinglists, for example... those kind of require multiple people to be able to ping from the lists...
Auction Guide pixel_cat_skull_facing_right_by_asralore-dbgee5t.pngLantern-_2.pngpixel_cat_skull_facing_left_by_asralore-dbgeebi.png Full Wishlist
Would it be at all possible to have site-created pinglists that anyone could use, perhaps with the ability to submit applications for an official pinglist? With the sunsetting of mass pings it's gonna be harder for skin/accent collectors or collectors of certain dragons (gen1s, oldies, etc.) to find what they want.

Maybe allow a user to set a pinglist as public (anyone can use it) or private (only the creator can use it)? With the caveat pinglist names are unique, ex. @Ridgeback Skins can't be used more than once.
Would it be at all possible to have site-created pinglists that anyone could use, perhaps with the ability to submit applications for an official pinglist? With the sunsetting of mass pings it's gonna be harder for skin/accent collectors or collectors of certain dragons (gen1s, oldies, etc.) to find what they want.

Maybe allow a user to set a pinglist as public (anyone can use it) or private (only the creator can use it)? With the caveat pinglist names are unique, ex. @Ridgeback Skins can't be used more than once.
Cool stuff! I'm excited to try out the new pinglist feature :)

edit: Although I'm not sure how it will work for large community sales pinglists, I'm a collector of oldies and special IDs, and having a mass pinglist that anyone in the community can use is super helpful to know what/when other people are selling. I hope that there will eventually be an equivalent to this for the on-site pinglists. Perhaps there is a way for an owner of a pinglist to choose whether others can use it?

It seems like the on-site pinglists will be useful for individuals with hatcheries/shops/etc, but will hinder larger communities that use them to communicate with one another... especially with limiting mass pings that aren't a part of a pinglist, I can see this causing huge problems and breakdown of community resources that we've gotten used to over the past decade. Still, I'm optimistic and hopeful about this feature.
Cool stuff! I'm excited to try out the new pinglist feature :)

edit: Although I'm not sure how it will work for large community sales pinglists, I'm a collector of oldies and special IDs, and having a mass pinglist that anyone in the community can use is super helpful to know what/when other people are selling. I hope that there will eventually be an equivalent to this for the on-site pinglists. Perhaps there is a way for an owner of a pinglist to choose whether others can use it?

It seems like the on-site pinglists will be useful for individuals with hatcheries/shops/etc, but will hinder larger communities that use them to communicate with one another... especially with limiting mass pings that aren't a part of a pinglist, I can see this causing huge problems and breakdown of community resources that we've gotten used to over the past decade. Still, I'm optimistic and hopeful about this feature.
eLAndXa.png FooterAds.gif
Gary was here, Ash is a loser
2OTuj7X.png I hoard black orpingtons and black-capped chickadees!
This is an awesome new feature, and I'm delighted that we're going to get a revamp for the skin system! However, I do agree with creosote: [quote name="creosote" date="2023-10-26 09:27:55" ] eta: love the pinglist idea; not so hyped about removing the option to mass-ping people entirely. there are a lot of player-run pinglists for things like user-made accents and valuable dragons/items that are more complicated than a simple "ping me for this thing" and the proposed update would effectively stop those dead in their tracks. i understand the intent here is to prevent harassment via unwanted pings, but i think it would be beneficial to keep mass-pinging a viable option. [/quote] As much as having pinglists off-site isn't ideal, business for skinmakers is gonna plummet if we can't use GASP to advertise our stuff, players won't be able to be notified for g1s whose colors they're looking for, etc. This is a good step, but not a perfect solution.
This is an awesome new feature, and I'm delighted that we're going to get a revamp for the skin system!

However, I do agree with creosote:
creosote wrote on 2023-10-26 09:27:55:
eta: love the pinglist idea; not so hyped about removing the option to mass-ping people entirely. there are a lot of player-run pinglists for things like user-made accents and valuable dragons/items that are more complicated than a simple "ping me for this thing" and the proposed update would effectively stop those dead in their tracks.
i understand the intent here is to prevent harassment via unwanted pings, but i think it would be beneficial to keep mass-pinging a viable option.

As much as having pinglists off-site isn't ideal, business for skinmakers is gonna plummet if we can't use GASP to advertise our stuff, players won't be able to be notified for g1s whose colors they're looking for, etc. This is a good step, but not a perfect solution.
art of an astronaut holding a paintbrush, pointing at themselves, with the text 'BUY MY ART, COWARD'
OOH THE SKINS SYSTEM LOOKS NICE!
OOH THE SKINS SYSTEM LOOKS NICE!
Plant-Vash.png
> Treasure Frenzy [PQ]
> G1 dragon list
+5 hours ahead of FR time
He/They menace
Adult
ll0CfnD.png
a2e1ae1baf2f2f8b720795dea9e4be1e5df6fba7.png
Love the execution of adding in house pinglists

Not stoked about immediately jumping to limiting mass pings. 12 is.. well, saying its an underestimate is putting it mildly. Until the in house pinglist is expanded and more inclusive, I think its an oversight on just why or who is using mass pings.
Love the execution of adding in house pinglists

Not stoked about immediately jumping to limiting mass pings. 12 is.. well, saying its an underestimate is putting it mildly. Until the in house pinglist is expanded and more inclusive, I think its an oversight on just why or who is using mass pings.
5AHK8Y7.png •Ripley
•Queer
•He/Him
•Aquarius
•Art Shop : Working
ZLIMzvY.gifw0IsqjS.gif6sfJde7.gifrjuURyp.gif
W5O5MZj.png __digitalmirage.gif
This is.....amazing.
This is.....amazing.
22ywPUF.png Ao7i1jI.png TSLAPe2.gifUXRaoCb.png6OIh6CV.pngVod89n8.pngMGIo0DJ.gifs7d0V1v.png 2oKWxc3.png
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 73 74