Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Community Update, December 2020
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2020-12-16 08:12:20" ] [quote]Hi, What is your policy on writing Flight Rising fanfiction? Thanks![/quote] Who here hasn't written a little blurb [i](or a lot!)[/i] of fanfiction? Seriously though, fan fiction is just that—fan fiction. We ask players don't post anything on our site that violates our [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/terms-use]Terms of Use[/url][/b] or [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/201441323]Rules & Policies[/url][/b] and that you don't monetize fan fiction that uses our IP. We retain all rights to our IP, copyright, and trademark. [/quote] So this will probably get buried but I'll ask for an official clarification on this point: the [url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005860643-Art-Commissions][b]Art Commissions[/b][/url] policy page makes no mention of currency. A lot of users who run art or clan lore shops in the forums sell their talent for real currencies and not just treasure/gems; by "don't monetize fan fiction" do you mean "don't sell [i]any[/i] FR-related commissions for real currency" or just "don't sell your FR fanwork as if it is a wholly original property, give credit where it is due"?
Aequorin wrote on 2020-12-16 08:12:20:
Quote:
Hi,
What is your policy on writing Flight Rising fanfiction?
Thanks!

Who here hasn't written a little blurb (or a lot!) of fanfiction?

Seriously though, fan fiction is just that—fan fiction. We ask players don't post anything on our site that violates our Terms of Use or Rules & Policies and that you don't monetize fan fiction that uses our IP. We retain all rights to our IP, copyright, and trademark.

So this will probably get buried but I'll ask for an official clarification on this point: the Art Commissions policy page makes no mention of currency. A lot of users who run art or clan lore shops in the forums sell their talent for real currencies and not just treasure/gems; by "don't monetize fan fiction" do you mean "don't sell any FR-related commissions for real currency" or just "don't sell your FR fanwork as if it is a wholly original property, give credit where it is due"?
60Avnmu.png
QgilwX7.png Looking for colors or near miss:
—Mantis/Peacock/Peridot
—Ginger/Auburn/Sanguine
—Cerulean/Teal/Ice
—Periwinkle/Plum/Fuschia
Awe this is so neat! Congrats to the winners!
Awe this is so neat! Congrats to the winners!
Spr_2c_144_s.png Lucy (FR+3 / US EST)
ShinyVIStar.png art shop
ShinyVIStar.png wishlist
ShinyVIStar.png PM me for Toyhouse codes!!
70c9b36745a49fc9888c3550f61c4379c99dc258.png
Was wondering when the caption winners would be announced. I've been seeing some of the items pop up at Crim's lately. I'm really looking forward to adding all those shiny crystals to my collection!
Was wondering when the caption winners would be announced. I've been seeing some of the items pop up at Crim's lately. I'm really looking forward to adding all those shiny crystals to my collection!
Brown River Recluse Queen of the River Spider Army Grey River Jumper
Welcome back Alphaeon! Those captions made me giggle, especially the fandom one lol. Congrats to the winners!
Welcome back Alphaeon! Those captions made me giggle, especially the fandom one lol. Congrats to the winners!
Cm7mzhQ.png FR + 3iDktb2b.png
congrats to the other winners!! i was not expecting to wake up to a ping from aequorin this morning. this is so exciting! :D

does anyone know if there's something i need to do to redeem the prize?
congrats to the other winners!! i was not expecting to wake up to a ping from aequorin this morning. this is so exciting! :D

does anyone know if there's something i need to do to redeem the prize?
u94F7n8.png x x FObX7rS.png Pladge16.png
Hah, I'm going to have to start collecting fanfish now. That's wonderful. Though there's a ton of great captions in this bunch - the Not a Sheep and the Dubious Cucumber are favorites. Also, the lore with Selenite is cool! Congratulations to all the winners!

I really like the lore about plague healers and the Shadowbinder's tears versus shadow primal and am gladly folding that into my lore (also - oh my god, Prudence, that's precious), but... would you guys ever reconsider your stance on removing eggs from nests?

Egg Rot was extremely unpopular because it was uncontrolled and punished players for not being online every day. That's not the same thing as wanting a way to remove eggs from a nest, or wanting a way to remove dragons from the breeding list. Say I want one pair to have only one offspring ever, and their nest breeds three - or say I accidentally bred a dragon I did not want to breed because my mouse slipped or I mistook their name for a different dragon. A pop-up 'are you sure' window isn't a great prevention mechanism when players are conditioned to rapidly click through it as part of the process. Most of the dragons in my lair are g1s i have no intention to breed, and several of them have been accidentally bred anyway. Preventative measures like toggled removing a dragon from the breeding dropdown or cancelling an accidental nest would be extremely appreciated.
Hah, I'm going to have to start collecting fanfish now. That's wonderful. Though there's a ton of great captions in this bunch - the Not a Sheep and the Dubious Cucumber are favorites. Also, the lore with Selenite is cool! Congratulations to all the winners!

I really like the lore about plague healers and the Shadowbinder's tears versus shadow primal and am gladly folding that into my lore (also - oh my god, Prudence, that's precious), but... would you guys ever reconsider your stance on removing eggs from nests?

Egg Rot was extremely unpopular because it was uncontrolled and punished players for not being online every day. That's not the same thing as wanting a way to remove eggs from a nest, or wanting a way to remove dragons from the breeding list. Say I want one pair to have only one offspring ever, and their nest breeds three - or say I accidentally bred a dragon I did not want to breed because my mouse slipped or I mistook their name for a different dragon. A pop-up 'are you sure' window isn't a great prevention mechanism when players are conditioned to rapidly click through it as part of the process. Most of the dragons in my lair are g1s i have no intention to breed, and several of them have been accidentally bred anyway. Preventative measures like toggled removing a dragon from the breeding dropdown or cancelling an accidental nest would be extremely appreciated.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
i am once again asking what "excessive violence" actually entails. I don't think we've ever received a verdict that wasn't so subjective as to be entirely worthless and unenforceable... idk like... what's the point in a rule if it's so incredibly unspecific. like... is allowed even though that skin is probably the msot visually horrifying thing ever, but that's a 2020 skin so it must be okay, so where do certain older skins lie? this one has bones and rended flesh, is this still okay? sure looks painful and rather like suffering, yknow, if you imagine it that way..

...I'm not saying guro should be allowed, i only want rules that make sense, and I want consistency within those rules. you could like... give clearly defined examples in the official rule as a start? idk man, I've been thinking about it since october.
I think part of the problem is that there is canon violence but we're only selectively allowed to visually depict it. what vague and ill-defined rules regarding visual violence are contradicted by canon lore. if there were a skin made where thorny vines pierce a dragon's flesh and it was made reasonably realistic, like you can see that there is a grievous wound, would that be acceptable? that's a thing that canonically happened, so can you visually express it? is acceptable? you can argue that when it's visual its worse, but is that really true? when you read a book, do you not imagine the contents with your minds eye? when it's purely visual, you only have what you see so you can pretend it isn't painful. there's no character attached to it, there's no emotional connection, but when you read it, your imagination is likely to go wild specifically because you have am emotional connection with the character, that's just how your brain works. either way, it's subjective and different for everyone.

before anyone gets up my butt about it, I can't believe it really needs to be said but i hold nothing against any artists on the site whatsoever. that ear skin makes me physically nauseous, but it doesn't for everyone. plague primal makes others feel sick, but I love it. that's why rules need to be really specific and consistent because what's squicky is different for everyone.
hope my thought-vomit made any sense. I'm sure i'm gonna get some response to this so just keep in mind that I will block you if you're rude.
i am once again asking what "excessive violence" actually entails. I don't think we've ever received a verdict that wasn't so subjective as to be entirely worthless and unenforceable... idk like... what's the point in a rule if it's so incredibly unspecific. like... is allowed even though that skin is probably the msot visually horrifying thing ever, but that's a 2020 skin so it must be okay, so where do certain older skins lie? this one has bones and rended flesh, is this still okay? sure looks painful and rather like suffering, yknow, if you imagine it that way..

...I'm not saying guro should be allowed, i only want rules that make sense, and I want consistency within those rules. you could like... give clearly defined examples in the official rule as a start? idk man, I've been thinking about it since october.
I think part of the problem is that there is canon violence but we're only selectively allowed to visually depict it. what vague and ill-defined rules regarding visual violence are contradicted by canon lore. if there were a skin made where thorny vines pierce a dragon's flesh and it was made reasonably realistic, like you can see that there is a grievous wound, would that be acceptable? that's a thing that canonically happened, so can you visually express it? is acceptable? you can argue that when it's visual its worse, but is that really true? when you read a book, do you not imagine the contents with your minds eye? when it's purely visual, you only have what you see so you can pretend it isn't painful. there's no character attached to it, there's no emotional connection, but when you read it, your imagination is likely to go wild specifically because you have am emotional connection with the character, that's just how your brain works. either way, it's subjective and different for everyone.

before anyone gets up my butt about it, I can't believe it really needs to be said but i hold nothing against any artists on the site whatsoever. that ear skin makes me physically nauseous, but it doesn't for everyone. plague primal makes others feel sick, but I love it. that's why rules need to be really specific and consistent because what's squicky is different for everyone.
hope my thought-vomit made any sense. I'm sure i'm gonna get some response to this so just keep in mind that I will block you if you're rude.
dBieivA.png
eIK5iG7.png
ePOliyb.png
bYt72YT.png
xj6Mn2e.png
A Bottomless Curse,
A Bottomless Sea
Accepting of
All that there Is
And can Be
65911250.png
WbuVpYC.png
oooh congrats to the winners!! and welcome back Alphaeon!!!
oooh congrats to the winners!! and welcome back Alphaeon!!!
I want a million of the not a sheep ahaha
I want a million of the not a sheep ahaha
52970845778_17c037eedd_o.png ... » She/Her
» Wishlist
» FR Time +3
» G1s For Sale
Welcome back Alphaeon!
Welcome back Alphaeon!
Accent Shop
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24