Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rename NotN to Midwinter Masquerade
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Quote:
I know what masquerade means, I just don't think it encompasses what NotN is. It is in the nuances of the words to me. I think part of it is mimicry is usually (in nature at least) something done naturally or is instinctual. IE a species will evolve to look more like a more deadly species. Masquerading is usually something someone chooses to do.

However, the definition really doesn't negate the fact that to a great many people it means a fancy dress ball with very fancy masks. Mimicry doesn't bring up that impression and is what NotN is all about it seems.

I think the point of the suggestion was more to shift focus away from Nocturnes. I have to agree that it's gotten bland considering the breed isn't even hard to find anymore. If the fest changes to Midwinter Masquerade, I'd be fine; But I care much more about that it shifts focus rather than what it's called.
Quote:
I know what masquerade means, I just don't think it encompasses what NotN is. It is in the nuances of the words to me. I think part of it is mimicry is usually (in nature at least) something done naturally or is instinctual. IE a species will evolve to look more like a more deadly species. Masquerading is usually something someone chooses to do.

However, the definition really doesn't negate the fact that to a great many people it means a fancy dress ball with very fancy masks. Mimicry doesn't bring up that impression and is what NotN is all about it seems.

I think the point of the suggestion was more to shift focus away from Nocturnes. I have to agree that it's gotten bland considering the breed isn't even hard to find anymore. If the fest changes to Midwinter Masquerade, I'd be fine; But I care much more about that it shifts focus rather than what it's called.
BhWDcLm.png
[quote name="Frye" date=2017-10-13 19:41:10] Quote: I know what masquerade means, I just don't think it encompasses what NotN is. It is in the nuances of the words to me. I think part of it is mimicry is usually (in nature at least) something done naturally or is instinctual. IE a species will evolve to look more like a more deadly species. Masquerading is usually something someone chooses to do. However, the definition really doesn't negate the fact that to a great many people it means a fancy dress ball with very fancy masks. Mimicry doesn't bring up that impression and is what NotN is all about it seems. I think the point of the suggestion was more to shift focus away from Nocturnes. I have to agree that it's gotten bland considering the breed isn't even hard to find anymore. If the fest changes to Midwinter Masquerade, I'd be fine; But I care much more about that it shifts focus rather than what it's called. The idea of the crazy events happening in Sorineth being caused by a cosmic event is really cool imo. [/quote] Personally I don't find it bland. I Look forward to it all year long because I like it. I don't mind a name change, nor would I mind if it focused more on mimics and less on nocturnes. I also don't see why the lore surrounding the time would change just because the name did. The reason for Night of the Nocturne is because of the nocturnes, I could understand the other dragons shifting the focus away from nocturnes once the novelty wore off, and focusing it more on a time to hunt down the pesky mimics the nocturnes seem to bring with them, but I don't see all the stuff suddenly happening because of a cosmic event. (IE, everything would still be caused by nocturnes, just the dragons would not focus as much on them and more on what they do)
Frye wrote on 2017-10-13:
Quote:

The idea of the crazy events happening in Sorineth being caused by a cosmic event is really cool imo.

Personally I don't find it bland. I Look forward to it all year long because I like it. I don't mind a name change, nor would I mind if it focused more on mimics and less on nocturnes. I also don't see why the lore surrounding the time would change just because the name did. The reason for Night of the Nocturne is because of the nocturnes, I could understand the other dragons shifting the focus away from nocturnes once the novelty wore off, and focusing it more on a time to hunt down the pesky mimics the nocturnes seem to bring with them, but I don't see all the stuff suddenly happening because of a cosmic event. (IE, everything would still be caused by nocturnes, just the dragons would not focus as much on them and more on what they do)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="vihuff" date=2017-10-13 19:26:00] I'm just going to throw this out here because I think masquerade is the perfect name for this as it means pretending to be something else. Mimicry in it's essence. The more people who keep saying it's limiting or gives the wrong impression, the more it's making my eye twitch in irritation. Just over the general misunderstanding of the word. mas·quer·ade noun 1. a false show or pretense. "his masquerade ended when he was arrested" synonyms: pretense, deception, pose, act, front, facade, disguise, dissimulation, bluff, play-acting, make-believe; informalput-on "he couldn't keep up the masquerade much longer" verb 1. pretend to be someone one is not. "a journalist masquerading as a man in distress" synonyms: pretend to be, pose as, pass oneself off as, impersonate, disguise oneself as "a woman masquerading as a man" [/quote] That might be the original meaning, but if you ask the general person what they think the word masquerade means most will probably give some kind of definition like [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masquerade]Merriam-Webster's first definition[/url] Definition of masquerade 1 a :a social gathering of persons wearing masks and often fantastic costumes b :a costume for wear at such a gathering 2 :an action or appearance that is mere disguise or show Those of us who are not keen on "masquerade" don't want the festival to became something associated with the images you see when you [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=Masquerade&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI1bjIiO_WAhXC3SYKHdGBDNIQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=710]google masquerade[/url], and rather keep more to the [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=mimicry&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGktmAiu_WAhWFQyYKHf2RCDEQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=710]mimicry aspect[/url] that nocturnes are known for. I can understand the desire to rename NotN, but the thing that appealed to me most about the NotN was the mimicry aspect from nocturne lore and I'd rather keep that and am afraid shifting the name to masquerade would lead eventually more of a fancy dress type thing. I know personally, although the apparel they've released for NotN is visually appealing, I would have preferred more mimicry type apparel like the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1542341/1]breed characteristics apparel[/url] or more apparel like the various pelts. I know I'd love to see something like [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1671970]mimic genes[/url]
vihuff wrote on 2017-10-13:
I'm just going to throw this out here because I think masquerade is the perfect name for this as it means pretending to be something else. Mimicry in it's essence. The more people who keep saying it's limiting or gives the wrong impression, the more it's making my eye twitch in irritation. Just over the general misunderstanding of the word.

mas·quer·ade
noun
a false show or pretense.
"his masquerade ended when he was arrested"
synonyms: pretense, deception, pose, act, front, facade, disguise, dissimulation, bluff, play-acting, make-believe; informalput-on
"he couldn't keep up the masquerade much longer"

verb
pretend to be someone one is not.
"a journalist masquerading as a man in distress"
synonyms: pretend to be, pose as, pass oneself off as, impersonate, disguise oneself as
"a woman masquerading as a man"

That might be the original meaning, but if you ask the general person what they think the word masquerade means most will probably give some kind of definition like Merriam-Webster's first definition

Definition of masquerade
1 a :a social gathering of persons wearing masks and often fantastic costumes
b :a costume for wear at such a gathering
2 :an action or appearance that is mere disguise or show

Those of us who are not keen on "masquerade" don't want the festival to became something associated with the images you see when you google masquerade, and rather keep more to the mimicry aspect that nocturnes are known for.

I can understand the desire to rename NotN, but the thing that appealed to me most about the NotN was the mimicry aspect from nocturne lore and I'd rather keep that and am afraid shifting the name to masquerade would lead eventually more of a fancy dress type thing. I know personally, although the apparel they've released for NotN is visually appealing, I would have preferred more mimicry type apparel like the breed characteristics apparel or more apparel like the various pelts. I know I'd love to see something like mimic genes
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Many of the familiars and themes of NotN already are based on masks though? Masks ARE mimicry. A way for people (dragons) that are not natural mimics to participate in a festival themed on mimicry would wear masks. And we've already gotten fancy clothes for NotN, the flame apparel is all very fancy. [item=deadly reflection][item=masked phantom][item=vista: feral visage][item=haunted flame cloak] I guess I don't understand how people don't already picture NotN as an event like [img]http://www.puppet.org/media/1593/jennifer-connelly-and-david-bowie-in-labyrinth-1986.jpg[/img] lol Not that the name really matters, it's all a bit nit-picky. Of the words that are synonyms for "festival" (like Brightshine [b]Jubilee[/b], Crystalline [b]Gala[/b], Starfall [b]Celebration[/b]), "masquerade" probably fits the theme best. If your argument is that it ISN'T a festival, I guess I can see where you're coming from. But it walks like a festival and quacks like a festival so I've personally always seen it as a festival with no elemental base (although, since its base is Nocturnes and Nocturnes are from shadow, it FEELS LIKE a Shadow festival. And the point of changing the name would be to make it feel less like that.) Honestly I don't care what the name is, the pushback on the word "masquerade" confuses me a little but it seems like everyone is mostly on board with not making it a nocturne party.
Many of the familiars and themes of NotN already are based on masks though? Masks ARE mimicry. A way for people (dragons) that are not natural mimics to participate in a festival themed on mimicry would wear masks. And we've already gotten fancy clothes for NotN, the flame apparel is all very fancy.

Deadly Reflection Masked Phantom Vista: Feral Visage Haunted Flame Cloak

I guess I don't understand how people don't already picture NotN as an event like

jennifer-connelly-and-david-bowie-in-labyrinth-1986.jpg

lol

Not that the name really matters, it's all a bit nit-picky. Of the words that are synonyms for "festival" (like Brightshine Jubilee, Crystalline Gala, Starfall Celebration), "masquerade" probably fits the theme best. If your argument is that it ISN'T a festival, I guess I can see where you're coming from. But it walks like a festival and quacks like a festival so I've personally always seen it as a festival with no elemental base (although, since its base is Nocturnes and Nocturnes are from shadow, it FEELS LIKE a Shadow festival. And the point of changing the name would be to make it feel less like that.)

Honestly I don't care what the name is, the pushback on the word "masquerade" confuses me a little but it seems like everyone is mostly on board with not making it a nocturne party.
[quote name="BatCrooks" date=2017-10-13 20:12:47] Many of the familiars and themes of NotN already are based on masks though? Masks ARE mimicry. A way for people (dragons) that are not natural mimics to participate in a festival themed on mimicry would wear masks. And we've already gotten fancy clothes for NotN, the flame apparel is all very fancy. [/quote] It might be nit-picky but masquerade masks generally tend to be overly fancy things; that if it 'mimics' something (like a cat mask or bird mask) then its a stylised thing. That I don't like. I'd hate to see it become something like that, I already find the NotN clothing a bit too fancy. The masks that are part of the NotN are more realistic when compared to what it mimics. And even though we might be trying to shif away from the roots of the nocturne breed with the name change, what first really appealed to me on that[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1283770] first NotN[/url was the food items (and of course the nocturnes mimicry of the behavioural traits).
BatCrooks wrote on 2017-10-13:
Many of the familiars and themes of NotN already are based on masks though? Masks ARE mimicry. A way for people (dragons) that are not natural mimics to participate in a festival themed on mimicry would wear masks. And we've already gotten fancy clothes for NotN, the flame apparel is all very fancy.
It might be nit-picky but masquerade masks generally tend to be overly fancy things; that if it 'mimics' something (like a cat mask or bird mask) then its a stylised thing. That I don't like. I'd hate to see it become something like that, I already find the NotN clothing a bit too fancy.

The masks that are part of the NotN are more realistic when compared to what it mimics. And even though we might be trying to shif away from the roots of the nocturne breed with the name change, what first really appealed to me on that first NotN[/url was the food items (and of course the nocturnes mimicry of the behavioural traits).
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
i totally support this, it's lore-appropriate and opens up a ton of possibilities

also iirc the first time it happened the name was a little misleading, "night of the nocturne" kinda sounds like it's a one-night event even though lasts as long as every other festival
i totally support this, it's lore-appropriate and opens up a ton of possibilities

also iirc the first time it happened the name was a little misleading, "night of the nocturne" kinda sounds like it's a one-night event even though lasts as long as every other festival
5.png
STAFF needs to FIX MULTI-GAZE
comment if you can.
let staff know exactly how abhorrently unprofessional this kind of quality is.

yUJyALg.png
I have basically same opinion with @/Jemadar.
Support for renaming, and I agree that masquerade could fit into a part of NotN, but it simply cannot represent the whole theme.
I have basically same opinion with @/Jemadar.
Support for renaming, and I agree that masquerade could fit into a part of NotN, but it simply cannot represent the whole theme.
Just a heads-up: I usually delete the threads I made before it reaches 10 replies because I want to keep my forum history tidy.
I don't care if it's Masquerade or not as long as it gets renamed to take the emphasis away from glorifying a single breed. The only way I would support keeping it Night of the Nocturne over anything else is if we also got celebrations for every other breed on site (Pearlcatcher Parade, Annual Ridgeback Fishing Competition, etc etc). I highly doubt that's going to happen, so I want to see NotN shift, in name, away from emphasizing the Nocturnes over all the other breeds on site.
I don't care if it's Masquerade or not as long as it gets renamed to take the emphasis away from glorifying a single breed. The only way I would support keeping it Night of the Nocturne over anything else is if we also got celebrations for every other breed on site (Pearlcatcher Parade, Annual Ridgeback Fishing Competition, etc etc). I highly doubt that's going to happen, so I want to see NotN shift, in name, away from emphasizing the Nocturnes over all the other breeds on site.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
To me, it's always fitted in that it's Night of the Nocturnes as it's when they suddenly appear and cause the chaos - as part of the very lore of that time. They're the originators and the reason for the madness. I couldn't care less if they were a shadow breed or not. It always feels like people just want to focus on anything to complain so offsite drama never means much to me.

Personally, I like the name as it is. Please don't ping me on this topic. I have given my thoughts and will leave it at this.
To me, it's always fitted in that it's Night of the Nocturnes as it's when they suddenly appear and cause the chaos - as part of the very lore of that time. They're the originators and the reason for the madness. I couldn't care less if they were a shadow breed or not. It always feels like people just want to focus on anything to complain so offsite drama never means much to me.

Personally, I like the name as it is. Please don't ping me on this topic. I have given my thoughts and will leave it at this.
I think it's a brilliant way to open up the lore for new possibilities!
I think it's a brilliant way to open up the lore for new possibilities!
3iZwwkw.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8