Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rename NotN to Midwinter Masquerade
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="Rhea" date=2017-10-13 06:10:46] The point is to move away from it sounding related to Shadow. That it's currently seen as a "second Shadow festival" has been the cause of [b]no small drama offsite. [/b][/quote] I support the idea of moving away from Shadow-themed to a more general kind of holiday (my post above mentioned that). But at the risk of going off topic, this is probably one of those situations where those people are never going to be happy. You could give them the most generic, all-inclusive holiday and they would still complain. I really don't like the thought of pandering to the people who throw a huge hissy fit just because something appears to favor one flight a little bit more than the others. Yeah, NotN could stand to be changed, the breed's been here for awhile now and is solidly established. And yes, it could become something less Shadowy, and more generally encompassing to the other flights, but there's no need for the levels of drama you are implying happen off-site.
Rhea wrote on 2017-10-13:
The point is to move away from it sounding related to Shadow. That it's currently seen as a "second Shadow festival" has been the cause of no small drama offsite.

I support the idea of moving away from Shadow-themed to a more general kind of holiday (my post above mentioned that).

But at the risk of going off topic, this is probably one of those situations where those people are never going to be happy. You could give them the most generic, all-inclusive holiday and they would still complain. I really don't like the thought of pandering to the people who throw a huge hissy fit just because something appears to favor one flight a little bit more than the others.

Yeah, NotN could stand to be changed, the breed's been here for awhile now and is solidly established. And yes, it could become something less Shadowy, and more generally encompassing to the other flights, but there's no need for the levels of drama you are implying happen off-site.
I quite like @/hondayori's suggestion of midwinter mischief!

that way its like a spooky April fools in December, and it's the name doesn't limit itself to a specific aesthetic.
I quite like @/hondayori's suggestion of midwinter mischief!

that way its like a spooky April fools in December, and it's the name doesn't limit itself to a specific aesthetic.
yvMj9jM.png
w0wBhk1.png
czjozDN.png
pyAp3dI.png
BJZhFXG.png
bYt72YT.png
rI18gRz.png
mYEe9VI.png
BYpRNso.png
the maze is sharp on my mind. the angles cut me when i try to think.
Untitled239_20210703200524.pngUntitled237_20210704020745.png
Although Midwinter Masquerade is a very creative and catchy name I think changing it to Night of the Mimics would be more appropriate and would lead to more lore opportunities. I’m actually ok with NoftN being more shadowy themed since Nocturnes are a shadow breed but since they’ve been around for 3 years now, I think changing the focus towards the mimics side of the celebration would make more sense.
Although Midwinter Masquerade is a very creative and catchy name I think changing it to Night of the Mimics would be more appropriate and would lead to more lore opportunities. I’m actually ok with NoftN being more shadowy themed since Nocturnes are a shadow breed but since they’ve been around for 3 years now, I think changing the focus towards the mimics side of the celebration would make more sense.
XriSV9h.gif
Lore-wise, it's when Nocturnes come out and "rule the skies", I imagine like flocks of bats. So it makes sense that they would be quite a notable feature for other dragons. And it's the Nocturnes who leave behind the chests for everyone.

I don't see a point in changing it just because of drama. There's plenty of opportunity to expand the holiday in so many different ways, with new types of items or even another dragon breed, without needing to change the name.

With nocs flying everywhere, nocs leaving chests for everyone, and nocs unintentionally (as far as we know) leaving behind mimics instead of chests, the lore really is noc-centric and I don't see a problem with the name reflecting that.
Lore-wise, it's when Nocturnes come out and "rule the skies", I imagine like flocks of bats. So it makes sense that they would be quite a notable feature for other dragons. And it's the Nocturnes who leave behind the chests for everyone.

I don't see a point in changing it just because of drama. There's plenty of opportunity to expand the holiday in so many different ways, with new types of items or even another dragon breed, without needing to change the name.

With nocs flying everywhere, nocs leaving chests for everyone, and nocs unintentionally (as far as we know) leaving behind mimics instead of chests, the lore really is noc-centric and I don't see a problem with the name reflecting that.
I was never unsatisfied with the December event being called Night of the Nocturne. I've never thought of it as a second Shadow holiday, but I can see why people would think that, so that's why I can support a name change. It's kinda fun to think about!

But I'm against the name Midwinter Masquerade. "Midwinter" implies(?) that it is winter during the December month in Sornieth -which I'm not sure about? But as someone who does not get winter during the month of December in the real world, I would feel a little left out if it was called this... it's like me asking to call this Summer Shindig because it's summer here, see, it doesn't make sense or feel inclusive for the whole playerbase. "Masquerade" also doesn't seem quite right, it sounds like a fancy dress party and could limit the new types of items and apparel to this theme. I like some of the other, more appropriate, names that have been suggested in this thread tho!
I was never unsatisfied with the December event being called Night of the Nocturne. I've never thought of it as a second Shadow holiday, but I can see why people would think that, so that's why I can support a name change. It's kinda fun to think about!

But I'm against the name Midwinter Masquerade. "Midwinter" implies(?) that it is winter during the December month in Sornieth -which I'm not sure about? But as someone who does not get winter during the month of December in the real world, I would feel a little left out if it was called this... it's like me asking to call this Summer Shindig because it's summer here, see, it doesn't make sense or feel inclusive for the whole playerbase. "Masquerade" also doesn't seem quite right, it sounds like a fancy dress party and could limit the new types of items and apparel to this theme. I like some of the other, more appropriate, names that have been suggested in this thread tho!
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
I was comfortable assuming that December represented winter for Sornieth (half of Sornieth?) as January is when the Ice festival occurs (and festivals for summery flights like Light, Fire, Lightning occur in the northern hemisphere's summer months.) It is also the influence for Night of the Nocturne, as the northern hemisphere's winter solstice (midwinter) occurs at this time, the longest night of the year. A "masquerade" also doesn't have to refer to a party, but just a trickiness in general. To "put on a masquerade" is to be deceitful. In fact, the first definitions for "masquerade" don't even include the event definition. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/d1bb992183c01f983ada50b28a474357.png[/img] However, it does also conveniently refer to a celebration or event, so it would be a good word for a festival (or auspicious two weeks) where everyone is being tricky. EDIT: Also, the seasonal vistas and apparel (Winter Wind, Spring's Breath, etc.) cycle in and out on the northern hemisphere's calendar.
I was comfortable assuming that December represented winter for Sornieth (half of Sornieth?) as January is when the Ice festival occurs (and festivals for summery flights like Light, Fire, Lightning occur in the northern hemisphere's summer months.) It is also the influence for Night of the Nocturne, as the northern hemisphere's winter solstice (midwinter) occurs at this time, the longest night of the year.

A "masquerade" also doesn't have to refer to a party, but just a trickiness in general. To "put on a masquerade" is to be deceitful. In fact, the first definitions for "masquerade" don't even include the event definition.

d1bb992183c01f983ada50b28a474357.png

However, it does also conveniently refer to a celebration or event, so it would be a good word for a festival (or auspicious two weeks) where everyone is being tricky.

EDIT: Also, the seasonal vistas and apparel (Winter Wind, Spring's Breath, etc.) cycle in and out on the northern hemisphere's calendar.
Eh, I kind of think it's fine, but if it's going to be changed, I do like Masquerade of the Mimics. It would allow the focus to be on mimicry and I really like the alliterative name, plus it's not a night, it's a two-week event. I don't think that doing things just because people complain is a good thing to go for, but I can see how getting it to be a bit more fresh could be good. But then, I also think that in general changing the name will result in quite a bit of confusion and in a number of members being concerned that noc eggs/change scrolls won't be available, or that all NotN items are retiring.
Eh, I kind of think it's fine, but if it's going to be changed, I do like Masquerade of the Mimics. It would allow the focus to be on mimicry and I really like the alliterative name, plus it's not a night, it's a two-week event. I don't think that doing things just because people complain is a good thing to go for, but I can see how getting it to be a bit more fresh could be good. But then, I also think that in general changing the name will result in quite a bit of confusion and in a number of members being concerned that noc eggs/change scrolls won't be available, or that all NotN items are retiring.
cPW6H3E.png
I definitely like this idea, although really I hope to see it open up more ways for interaction with the festival apart from the usual gather/grind/baldwin routine like the monthly ones (I know that's a whole other can of worms lmao)

Honestly I feel like that might be a better occasion to release more recolor-like apparel (although please no more bears...or crowns..it was funny once, kinda cute the second time, and now it's just stale and none of it's valuable or really worth collecting. )
I definitely like this idea, although really I hope to see it open up more ways for interaction with the festival apart from the usual gather/grind/baldwin routine like the monthly ones (I know that's a whole other can of worms lmao)

Honestly I feel like that might be a better occasion to release more recolor-like apparel (although please no more bears...or crowns..it was funny once, kinda cute the second time, and now it's just stale and none of it's valuable or really worth collecting. )
KVbkgOZ.png
@Jemadar @Subunit @DragonSage @clarkkent @Sludgy
I'm just going to throw this out here because I think masquerade is the perfect name for this as it means pretending to be something else. Mimicry in it's essence. The more people who keep saying it's limiting or gives the wrong impression, the more it's making my eye twitch in irritation. Just over the general misunderstanding of the word.

mas·quer·ade
noun
a false show or pretense.
"his masquerade ended when he was arrested"
synonyms: pretense, deception, pose, act, front, facade, disguise, dissimulation, bluff, play-acting, make-believe; informalput-on
"he couldn't keep up the masquerade much longer"

verb
pretend to be someone one is not.
"a journalist masquerading as a man in distress"
synonyms: pretend to be, pose as, pass oneself off as, impersonate, disguise oneself as
"a woman masquerading as a man"

EDIT: Just saw that bat pretty much poster this same thing. My bad. Oh well. At east people are sure to see it.
@Jemadar @Subunit @DragonSage @clarkkent @Sludgy
I'm just going to throw this out here because I think masquerade is the perfect name for this as it means pretending to be something else. Mimicry in it's essence. The more people who keep saying it's limiting or gives the wrong impression, the more it's making my eye twitch in irritation. Just over the general misunderstanding of the word.

mas·quer·ade
noun
a false show or pretense.
"his masquerade ended when he was arrested"
synonyms: pretense, deception, pose, act, front, facade, disguise, dissimulation, bluff, play-acting, make-believe; informalput-on
"he couldn't keep up the masquerade much longer"

verb
pretend to be someone one is not.
"a journalist masquerading as a man in distress"
synonyms: pretend to be, pose as, pass oneself off as, impersonate, disguise oneself as
"a woman masquerading as a man"

EDIT: Just saw that bat pretty much poster this same thing. My bad. Oh well. At east people are sure to see it.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
@Vihuff

I know what masquerade means, I just don't think it encompasses what NotN is. It is in the nuances of the words to me. I think part of it is mimicry is usually (in nature at least) something done naturally or is instinctual. IE a species will evolve to look more like a more deadly species. Masquerading is usually something someone chooses to do.

However, the definition really doesn't negate the fact that to a great many people it means a fancy dress ball with very fancy masks. Mimicry doesn't bring up that impression and is what NotN is all about it seems.
@Vihuff

I know what masquerade means, I just don't think it encompasses what NotN is. It is in the nuances of the words to me. I think part of it is mimicry is usually (in nature at least) something done naturally or is instinctual. IE a species will evolve to look more like a more deadly species. Masquerading is usually something someone chooses to do.

However, the definition really doesn't negate the fact that to a great many people it means a fancy dress ball with very fancy masks. Mimicry doesn't bring up that impression and is what NotN is all about it seems.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8