Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Cut skin/accent makers slack.
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 81 82
[quote name="gemajgall"] On the specific topic of skins/accents (deviating away from the usual Plague flight dilemma), I don't understand the fear of religious portrayal on FR. We have players of all kinds of faith positions, and they should be able to say they're Buddhist or atheist or Catholic or a druid or whatever. They should be able to create skins/accents that shows their faith positions with pride. If people can imply ethnic pride, gender pride, sexuality pride, national heritage, or whatever else of a protected class of people through a skin or accent, then religion should be treated the same. If people want to have a LGBT support board, people ought to be able to have a Hindu support board too. Being a Christian is no more/less as offensive as being asexual or autistic or anything else. But on FR, the vibe I get is that any threads will disappear if someone mentions a faith position. Heck, I even fear for my account just by saying "I believe Religion X." And I don't understand all the fear. Because some people will be "offended"? Some people are offended by women's rights and black rights. That doesn't mean we hide women's rights or tell blacks to keep it hidden. So, as long as it is done respectfully, people should be able to show their religious pride through skins and accents. A dragon wearing a cross necklace is not an offensive thing, and if someone is offended by it, it is their problem, not the religious symbolism. We should not accept and breed intolerance on FR, whether that's for gender or culture or disability or even religion. [/quote] It all travels back to the small % that throw those hissy fits. Personally, I would like to see some religious skins/accents as long as, you know, they're respectful. But that applies to every type of skin/accent. Don't be afraid to show your religion, please don't.
gemajgall wrote:

On the specific topic of skins/accents (deviating away from the usual Plague flight dilemma), I don't understand the fear of religious portrayal on FR. We have players of all kinds of faith positions, and they should be able to say they're Buddhist or atheist or Catholic or a druid or whatever. They should be able to create skins/accents that shows their faith positions with pride. If people can imply ethnic pride, gender pride, sexuality pride, national heritage, or whatever else of a protected class of people through a skin or accent, then religion should be treated the same. If people want to have a LGBT support board, people ought to be able to have a Hindu support board too. Being a Christian is no more/less as offensive as being asexual or autistic or anything else. But on FR, the vibe I get is that any threads will disappear if someone mentions a faith position. Heck, I even fear for my account just by saying "I believe Religion X." And I don't understand all the fear. Because some people will be "offended"? Some people are offended by women's rights and black rights. That doesn't mean we hide women's rights or tell blacks to keep it hidden. So, as long as it is done respectfully, people should be able to show their religious pride through skins and accents. A dragon wearing a cross necklace is not an offensive thing, and if someone is offended by it, it is their problem, not the religious symbolism. We should not accept and breed intolerance on FR, whether that's for gender or culture or disability or even religion.

It all travels back to the small % that throw those hissy fits. Personally, I would like to see some religious skins/accents as long as, you know, they're respectful. But that applies to every type of skin/accent. Don't be afraid to show your religion, please don't.
z0d96Tv.png peri, he/him
adult
fr time
quitting/gone
[quote]It all travels back to the small % that throw those hissy fits.[/quote] That really shouldn't be the basis for rules on FR. I understand a clear line in the sand about skins/accents that have gore or triggers or phobias in them. But this thread has shown players don't know where that line is. I also understand every has levels of gore or injuries or symbolism or whatnot they will or won't tolerate. But as things are now, I think the staff needs to let the restrictions breathe a little with both religious symbolism and some injuries. Especially scars (as long as they don't imply self mutilation) since those are [i]healed[/i] wounds which seems to suit the plague flight 110%. I can't think of a better way to show survival. And since we have scar apparel, it just fits. And if the staff does decide to ban all scarring, then we as users need to see that clearly written out with objective terms right on the Custom Skin page http://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/skins/1 as well as any other measurable rules about gore, symbolism, bleeding, and any other "questionable" content.
Quote:
It all travels back to the small % that throw those hissy fits.
That really shouldn't be the basis for rules on FR. I understand a clear line in the sand about skins/accents that have gore or triggers or phobias in them. But this thread has shown players don't know where that line is. I also understand every has levels of gore or injuries or symbolism or whatnot they will or won't tolerate.

But as things are now, I think the staff needs to let the restrictions breathe a little with both religious symbolism and some injuries. Especially scars (as long as they don't imply self mutilation) since those are healed wounds which seems to suit the plague flight 110%. I can't think of a better way to show survival. And since we have scar apparel, it just fits.

And if the staff does decide to ban all scarring, then we as users need to see that clearly written out with objective terms right on the Custom Skin page http://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/skins/1 as well as any other measurable rules about gore, symbolism, bleeding, and any other "questionable" content.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date=2017-07-17 16:58:48] On the specific topic of skins/accents (deviating away from the usual Plague flight dilemma), I don't understand the fear of religious portrayal on FR. We have players of all kinds of faith positions, and they should be able to say they're Buddhist or atheist or Catholic or a druid or whatever. They should be able to create skins/accents that shows their faith positions with pride. If people can imply ethnic pride, gender pride, sexuality pride, national heritage, or whatever else of a protected class of people through a skin or accent, then religion should be treated the same. If people want to have a LGBT support board, people ought to be able to have a Hindu support board too. Being a Christian is no more/less as offensive as being asexual or autistic or anything else. But on FR, the vibe I get is that any threads will disappear if someone mentions a faith position. Heck, I even fear for my account just by saying "I believe Religion X." And I don't understand all the fear. Because some people will be "offended"? Some people are offended by women's rights and black rights. That doesn't mean we hide women's rights or tell blacks to keep it hidden. So, as long as it is done respectfully, people should be able to show their religious pride through skins and accents. A dragon wearing a cross necklace is not an offensive thing, and if someone is offended by it, it is their problem, not the religious symbolism. We should not accept and breed intolerance on FR, whether that's for gender or culture or disability or even religion. [/quote] And now you have me thinking about religious symbols used in a non-religious way. A "Vampire Hunter" accent, for example, with wood stakes and a cross, would probably get rejected because "Christianity symbols."
gemajgall wrote on 2017-07-17:
On the specific topic of skins/accents (deviating away from the usual Plague flight dilemma), I don't understand the fear of religious portrayal on FR. We have players of all kinds of faith positions, and they should be able to say they're Buddhist or atheist or Catholic or a druid or whatever. They should be able to create skins/accents that shows their faith positions with pride. If people can imply ethnic pride, gender pride, sexuality pride, national heritage, or whatever else of a protected class of people through a skin or accent, then religion should be treated the same. If people want to have a LGBT support board, people ought to be able to have a Hindu support board too. Being a Christian is no more/less as offensive as being asexual or autistic or anything else. But on FR, the vibe I get is that any threads will disappear if someone mentions a faith position. Heck, I even fear for my account just by saying "I believe Religion X." And I don't understand all the fear. Because some people will be "offended"? Some people are offended by women's rights and black rights. That doesn't mean we hide women's rights or tell blacks to keep it hidden. So, as long as it is done respectfully, people should be able to show their religious pride through skins and accents. A dragon wearing a cross necklace is not an offensive thing, and if someone is offended by it, it is their problem, not the religious symbolism. We should not accept and breed intolerance on FR, whether that's for gender or culture or disability or even religion.

And now you have me thinking about religious symbols used in a non-religious way. A "Vampire Hunter" accent, for example, with wood stakes and a cross, would probably get rejected because "Christianity symbols."
~There is no such thing as sanity. Everyone is insane. The true question is, how insane are you, relative to everyone else?~
support!!!
As it applies to stuff like zombie dragons ant the like - obviously screaming in pain dragons or heavily detailed bloodied/injured skins/accents would still be a no but cuts and minor gore should fine at least in my mind
support!!!
As it applies to stuff like zombie dragons ant the like - obviously screaming in pain dragons or heavily detailed bloodied/injured skins/accents would still be a no but cuts and minor gore should fine at least in my mind
CdZTwZd.png
Wishlist | Art Samples | Deviantart | Custom Bio Examples
Looking for stoned Lvl 25s, preferably either Water or Nature. Preferably pretty or with potential. The ghostier/more halloweeny the better! Willing to offer mixed payment.
I agree. It doesn't make sense that we can have a flight whose nest is half made up of strewn entrails and bones but we can't have some low key gore/blood on a dragon. Honestly.
I agree. It doesn't make sense that we can have a flight whose nest is half made up of strewn entrails and bones but we can't have some low key gore/blood on a dragon. Honestly.
Yi8U9eL.pngX4Rja7n.pngYi8U9eL.png
8RAJoZx.gif +3 hours FR time
I think removing religious symbolism is actually a really bad idea, it's more offensive to exclude religious symbols then it is to keep them there. Especially because there's lots of ancient religions and mythology related to religion and vice versa. (Like the Greek Gods were worshiped so should they also be excluded?)

I think the only religious symbolism that shouldn't be added is symbolism that is openly hostile .Like the swastika. (Not the original design they took from.)

It also causes a lot of stress for people who rp, what if you're character is a Paladin or something that is linked to religion.

I think regulating religious symbols and making sure those symbols aren't distorted or inverted. (Because sometimes that can mean something totally different.) then it should be okay, or at least thougt on a bit more by the staff.
I think removing religious symbolism is actually a really bad idea, it's more offensive to exclude religious symbols then it is to keep them there. Especially because there's lots of ancient religions and mythology related to religion and vice versa. (Like the Greek Gods were worshiped so should they also be excluded?)

I think the only religious symbolism that shouldn't be added is symbolism that is openly hostile .Like the swastika. (Not the original design they took from.)

It also causes a lot of stress for people who rp, what if you're character is a Paladin or something that is linked to religion.

I think regulating religious symbols and making sure those symbols aren't distorted or inverted. (Because sometimes that can mean something totally different.) then it should be okay, or at least thougt on a bit more by the staff.
[quote name="HondaYori" date=2017-07-17 21:48:03] [quote name="gemajgall" date=2017-07-17 16:58:48] On the specific topic of skins/accents (deviating away from the usual Plague flight dilemma), I don't understand the fear of religious portrayal on FR. We have players of all kinds of faith positions, and they should be able to say they're Buddhist or atheist or Catholic or a druid or whatever. They should be able to create skins/accents that shows their faith positions with pride. If people can imply ethnic pride, gender pride, sexuality pride, national heritage, or whatever else of a protected class of people through a skin or accent, then religion should be treated the same. If people want to have a LGBT support board, people ought to be able to have a Hindu support board too. Being a Christian is no more/less as offensive as being asexual or autistic or anything else. But on FR, the vibe I get is that any threads will disappear if someone mentions a faith position. Heck, I even fear for my account just by saying "I believe Religion X." And I don't understand all the fear. Because some people will be "offended"? Some people are offended by women's rights and black rights. That doesn't mean we hide women's rights or tell blacks to keep it hidden. So, as long as it is done respectfully, people should be able to show their religious pride through skins and accents. A dragon wearing a cross necklace is not an offensive thing, and if someone is offended by it, it is their problem, not the religious symbolism. We should not accept and breed intolerance on FR, whether that's for gender or culture or disability or even religion. [/quote] And now you have me thinking about religious symbols used in a non-religious way. A "Vampire Hunter" accent, for example, with wood stakes and a cross, would probably get rejected because "Christianity symbols." [/quote] Oh man If I recall correctly I remember seeing this one user struggle to get a skin passed just because the NAME of the accent was the name of an angel. Oh yeah here it is: [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/skin/1199521/247#post_20463262]Link to the source of the following quote[/url]: [quote]I apologize for the rejection message not being more specific. the word 'angel' is acceptable, the concern was that the skin's name refers 'Angel Samael', which is a religious figure from Judaism. Changing the name to something not written in religious text would be acceptable.[/quote] And here's a [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1883212#post_1883212]link to a post by the user[/url]
HondaYori wrote on 2017-07-17:
gemajgall wrote on 2017-07-17:

And now you have me thinking about religious symbols used in a non-religious way. A "Vampire Hunter" accent, for example, with wood stakes and a cross, would probably get rejected because "Christianity symbols."

Oh man If I recall correctly I remember seeing this one user struggle to get a skin passed just because the NAME of the accent was the name of an angel.

Oh yeah here it is:

Link to the source of the following quote:
Quote:
I apologize for the rejection message not being more specific. the word 'angel' is acceptable, the concern was that the skin's name refers 'Angel Samael', which is a religious figure from Judaism. Changing the name to something not written in religious text would be acceptable.

And here's a link to a post by the user
Accent Shop

Doodle Shop
soudasig_by_eggdis-dbau8f2.png
If you're allowed to name a dragon after a religious figure, then I think you should be able to name skins and accents after them too.
If you're allowed to name a dragon after a religious figure, then I think you should be able to name skins and accents after them too.
z0d96Tv.png peri, he/him
adult
fr time
quitting/gone
[center][color=purple]I will always support this. It's kinda weird, too, that some skins/accents that could be considered gore are passed, but then others are not? i.e; [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=13&gender=1&skin=7333&apparel=&xt=dressing.png[/img] [b][u]Accent: A Trail of Yours[/u][/b][/color][/center]
I will always support this. It's kinda weird, too, that some skins/accents that could be considered gore are passed, but then others are not? i.e;
dummy?breed=13&gender=1&skin=7333&apparel=&xt=dressing.png
Accent: A Trail of Yours
tumblr_o2vpc7gNFH1tyuk3oo1_500.png
It's pretty surprising honestly that this is even happening. The kinds of accents that have been passed in the past are... pretty brutal... Now gore doesn't particularly bother me, in fact I quite like the plague flight's gross aesthetic and these accent artists are great at what they do.

Nevertheless, I completely understand people not wanting to see this kind of thing. **cough cough despite there being an entire flight dedicated to it. With entrails and guts strewn about in the shape of a nest with an enormous living pustule in the middle of the land and not to mention plague mama too cough cough**

But as a few have suggested before, I think it would be a pretty nice idea if anything 'with a gore tag' or any pictures related to gore could simply be toggled off by users who don't want to see it. Coding wise, I'm not sure how that would play out, but I'm sure it's doable.

And just for the sake of posting it, here are a few more examples of gory accents that have been let through:

<-- Literally just called "Death"

"Jack the Ripper"

It's pretty surprising honestly that this is even happening. The kinds of accents that have been passed in the past are... pretty brutal... Now gore doesn't particularly bother me, in fact I quite like the plague flight's gross aesthetic and these accent artists are great at what they do.

Nevertheless, I completely understand people not wanting to see this kind of thing. **cough cough despite there being an entire flight dedicated to it. With entrails and guts strewn about in the shape of a nest with an enormous living pustule in the middle of the land and not to mention plague mama too cough cough**

But as a few have suggested before, I think it would be a pretty nice idea if anything 'with a gore tag' or any pictures related to gore could simply be toggled off by users who don't want to see it. Coding wise, I'm not sure how that would play out, but I'm sure it's doable.

And just for the sake of posting it, here are a few more examples of gory accents that have been let through:

<-- Literally just called "Death"

"Jack the Ripper"

d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 81 82