Custom Skins & Accents
Skins and Accents are user-created items that apply a unique coat of paint or isolated design to a selected dragon. They are applied much like a piece of Apparel and will not affect the genes of a dragon when it breeds. Skins cover 100% of the dragon's surface area, while Accents are used for smaller designs such as tattoos or scars. Skins and Accents are a way for you to show your artistic side and customize your dragon in creative and unique ways.
Q: How do I get started?
First, you’ll want to decide what breed/gender dragon you’d like to design a skin or accent for. After you’ve made up your mind, you’ll want to download the corresponding PSD Template for it. Once you have the PSD, you can begin designing! Be sure to keep in mind the Rules for your design (listed at the bottom of the page).Q: How exactly do I use the PSD file?
We have created a helpful Tutorial that will instruct you on the proper usage of the PSD and how to save the file out so that it can be uploaded.Q: How do I submit my newly-designed Custom Skin or Accent?
In order to submit your art, you must first purchase a Blueprint (bundles that contain extra copies of your skin or accent are also available). This item, when left-clicked, will take you directly to the Upload Submission page. Once you have uploaded the art, your Blueprint will be removed from your Hoard, and the submission will go into our approval queue.Q: When/How do I get my Custom Skin or Accent?
After a brief approval period (5-7 days), your art submission will be turned into an item and sent to you via the Message Center. From there, you can remove the skin or accent from the message and it will go into your Hoard’s Apparel tab.Q: How do I apply my Custom Skin or Accent?
Custom Skins and Accents are worn like Apparel, so you will need to visit the desired dragon’s personal page, click ‘Skins’, and then select which Skin or Accent to apply. Skins and Accents will always display below your apparel.Q: Can I give away or sell my Skins and Accents?
Absolutely! Once you have turned a blueprint into a Skin or Accent and it has been delivered, it’s yours to do whatever you wish!Q: Can my Skins or Accents be applied to other breeds/genders?
No. Skins and Accents can only be applied to the breed and gender for which they were designed. For example: An Accent designed for a Male Fae dragon cannot be applied to a Female Guardian dragon.Q: Can I change a dragon's eye color via a Custom Skin or Accent?
Not at this time. Eye color is indicative of the dragon's elemental heritage, and the prime visual representation of its flight identity, which is something we'd like to preserve.
- Do not make any changes to the dimensions or orientation of the image other than saving it under the parameters listed in the tutorial. This prevents the image from appearing misaligned, backwards, etc.
- Accents can only cover 30% or less surface area than that of a Skin. Consider Accents as a way to give your dragon tattoos, or markings, or emblems.
- Skins and Accents must preserve the original line art, do not make changes to the drawing of the dragon. This is to maintain the unique silouette and identity of the breed as well as ensure that all available apparel will display correctly. The original line art must remain intact and unobscured.
- The line art must always be noticibly darker than the color on which it rests. Line art may be painted (lock the line art layer to preserve transparency.) Line art that is the same shade or a ligher color will not be accepted.
- 100% black is not permitted to cover large portions of surface area. As cool as jet black is, this compromises the integrity of the underlying illustration's shadows and lineart (something that, as a site, we'd like to preserve). Related to 4: Line art must be darker than the color it sits on.
- Custom Skin and Accent submissions should not alter/delete portions of the Shadow layer. You may alter the hue of the shadow layer as a whole. The shadow layer must remain set to multiply mode. Shadows must be noticibly darker than the color on which they sit above. Paint may not go above the shadow layer.
- Skins and Accents may not be submitted as scanned traditional media (markers, pencils, etc.) Submissions must be completed in a digital art program to ensure that they are perfectly formatted and fit the aesthetic of the site.
- The use of stock photos and overwhelming textures is prohibited in order to remain as cohesive to Flight Rising's style as possible.
- Skins and Accents must not reference copywritten material. Example: No dragons sporting major soft drink logo tattoos!
- You must have created or have obtained permission by the original colorist to upload the Skin or Accent. Don’t steal other peoples’ stuff. It’s not nice! Plus, we’ll totally notice.
- You may share your skin creations on your gallery/journal/website provided that you: Display "© Flight Rising" on or near the image. Provide a link or the URL text to or for flightrising.com on or near the image.
- All sales of skins from user to user should be negotiated on flightrising.com. We do allow artists the chance to sell their skin designs to other players. We ask that all skin sales be negotiated on flightrising.com. Skins may not be sold on outside sites or as "adoptables," non-skin commissions, or for use on any site other than Flight Rising.
- Images derived from our PSD are the property of flightrising.com. You may not use skins or images derived from our PSD template for in print media or for use in another game.