Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] - All That Was Lost
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 141 142
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/57#post_40687987]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Day 65: Hear Me Roar[/u][/b] [item=granny smith apple] Sentence: 10-20 Coli Battles[/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51025816][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51025816&skin=0&apparel=12267,739,17239,17260,17284&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Bailaduel paced around her new room in the palace. She had been moved to the wing given to Virtue and Hollyn to house the Sisters of Virtue. The move insulted the wildclaw, it was as if she were being passed around like a child. She had half a mind to get up and leave, but she was trapped here, as Coldstorm had told her. She would be trying to leave the city until it killed her. It was better to wait out this process and find her own corner in the clan where no one would bother her. She didn't like how lost she felt. She always had a purpose, and that was to survive. It was why she had teamed up with Ghostlantern, and why she had later killed him. It was why she had moved from flight to flight, taking various mercenary jobs without question. It was why she had taken this one, and why she had gone to move onto the next. But somewhere along the way, survival wasn't enough anymore. If this were just about survival, she would be content to stay in the Forgotten Kingdom, if that's what would keep her alive. Now she itched to leave, hungry for something that she could never seem to fill. Or maybe she was just hungry, Bailaduel realized as her stomach growled. When had she last eaten? She had refused breakfast and lunch, with everyone too busy fawning over the sick queen to worry about whether she was taking her proper meals. Now she regretted that action. She had done it out of spite, and dinner seemed ages away. It was then that she remembered that Hollyn had a collection of pet bunnies. Surely she wouldn't notice if one of them were to disappear? Feeling proud of her ingenuity, Bailaduel slipped out of her room and made her way through the common area towards the room Hollyn and Virtue shared. Virtue usually took Hollyn out for a walk around this time, so the wildclaw was certain she could sneak in unnoticed. Stepping lightly, she creaked open the door and made her way inside. Bailaduel could smell the rabbits moving around, their warm blood rising making her mouth water. Yes, they would make a good snack indeed! Licking her lips, the wildclaw pried open the lid to the rabbit enclosure and pulled out a plump rabbit. It squealed at her harsh grip, fear in its wide black eyes, but it didn't struggle. Silly rabbit, it had gone soft and trusting, too used to the caring hand of Hollyn. It's trust would be its downfall. The wildclaw bared her teeth and moved for the kill. Before Bailaduel could bite down on the soft flesh of the rabbit, the door to the room swung open and she heard a scream sound as light flooded the room and the wildclaw was blinded. She dropped the bunny in surprise, and it hopped towards the figure in the door. As Bailaduel adjusted to the light, she saw Hollyn staring at her with a look of absolute horror. Her mouth hung open as she screamed, and tears began rolling down her cheeks. Bailaduel swore. Maybe she and Virtue hadn't gone out after all. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54077498][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54077498&skin=25608&apparel=3289,2463,29008&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Bailaduel quickly moved to slip away, hoping the incident would soon be forgotten, but Virtue intercepted her before she could reach her room again. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54020446][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54020446&skin=0&apparel=10390,30550,30549,29008,491&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] "We need to talk, now," Virtue's voice was calm, but firm. There was no wriggling out of this one. The imperial's form towered over the wildclaw, and she knew that despite her experience, she was no match for a dragon so big. Bailaduel let herself be led into Virtue's office. The imperial closed the door and locked her in, leaving her alone for a moment. Bailaduel could hear her even voice calming Hollyn before she returned. The imperial's calm demeanor didn't fool Bailaduel. Virtue was furious. Bailaduel didn't see what the big deal was. Hollyn had lots of rabbits, and she could easily get another. What did it matter if she ate one or two. "You know, we didn't have to take you in. We could have left you to die on that cold, dark street where you lay starving, but Age has made it very clear this is a kingdom of second chances," Virtue growled. "We could have thrown you out the moment you were conscious again, especially considering how hostile you've been to everyone. Honestly, I'm surprised the curse hasn't gotten to you yet, with all that darkness in your heart." Bailaduel snorted. She couldn't be serious? The Forgotten Kingdom had basically kept her prisoner since she had been rediscovered! What sort of kindness was that? "I agreed to take you in because I know what its like to live a rough life. I know what its like to fight for everything you have. I know what its like to lose things, and what it's like to try to build [i]something[/i] resembling a good life out of the ashes," Virtue said. "I lost two sisters in the process. They may not be here anymore, but it was because of our vision, of a life no one had to fight for, that we created the Sisters of Virtue. I want this to be a place where dragons come to challenge their brokenness, to make something better of it. I want to see you face everything that's made you as twisted and bitter as you are and help you make it into something that makes you happy. I want everything my sisters and I have done to be for some good, so that they didn't die pointless deaths in an unfair world. I am willing to stand by no matter what you do or how many times you try to bit off my head, but I will not let you disrespect my remaining sister by taking something she loves from her. Has she not already lost enough?" "Life is about loss, sister," Bailaduel cackled. "It's about time you get used to that. It's honorable, you know, fighting for something better, but let me tell you, there's nothing better out here. You had a nice run, but now your queen is sick. Maybe she'll live now, but she's going to die sooner or later, and how long will it be before all her precious ideals are broken and the throne is held by a corrupt monarch, just like every other kingdom in history. It's inevitable. So remind me again why your precious little sister shouldn't learn life's rough lessons sooner rather than later? It's only a matter of time. A better future? You're only deluding yourself." Virtue shook her head. "I can't believe you. Do you know anything about love and care and compassion? Why does life being unfair give you special permission to ruin things for everyone else?" "I know I thought I found love once, but I was stabbed in the back," Bailaduel snorted. "When I met Ghostlantern, I was young and naive. I truly thought working together would make life better and easier, but it didn't. I thought I was right, fighting for a better life for my children. You don't know the pain of watching my youngest starve because there was no food. He said we would fight for the other two, but where did that leave us? The moment it suited him, he tried to kill me for money. I had no choice but to try to kill the dragon I love, so you tell me where all those fuzzy little feelings get you in the end." "What about your children?" Virtue pressed. "If you care so much about giving them a better life, then why would you abandon your family? You think Seaberry and Coldstorm don't need you? You think Karma wanted to grow up in a broken family? You really think your actions don't have consequences?" "Honey, the sooner they learn how to tough it out for themselves, the better," Bailaduel grimaced. "The more they rely on others, the more they are going to get let down when reality sets in. Leaving them is the best thing I could do for them, its what my parents did for me." "You do realize that in saying what you have, you're stepping on everything they've built for themselves in The Forgotten Kingdom? All the hard work they've put into pursuing a living and finding their place? Invalidating all of the relationships they've built?" Virtue asked. "Do you realize how much of a hypocrite that makes you?" "They've made their own choices, I've made mine," Bailaduel shrugged. Virtue sighed. Bailaduel could tell she was getting tired, and she felt a glimmer of satisfaction. "Fine, leave if you want," Virtue snapped. "in order to bring forth change, you have to want it, and its clear you don't. Your wasting your time here, and you're upsetting Hollyn. If you change your mind, you're welcome to come back and I can walk alongside you as your sister if you want to work through everything you've gone through and heal form your past, but I'm not going to force you into something you clearly don't want." A smile stretched across Bailaduel's face. She had won. She should feel happy, but somehow she didn't. It was a hollow victory, she was no less lost than she was before. She just didn't have annoying dragons looming over her anymore. As Bailaduel returned to her room to pack up her meager possessions, she felt a deep heaviness over her. Some of the things Virtue had said cut deeper than she cared to admit. Their argument had opened old wounds, wounds she had thought she had gotten over. Why should Ghostlantern still have this power over her? He was dead and gone, and yet he was still hurting her as he had when he was alive. His death should have solved his betrayal, but it still cut like a knife. Bailaduel was just as weak as she always thought. Feeling a surge of anger at her own softness, she slung her bag over her shoulder and flew off into the night. She would return to the house she had stayed in when she had been hired as Bahat and Bonegnasher's bodyguard, and from there, she could figure out her next move. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54433580][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54433580&skin=0&apparel=750,1753,21243,21292,21300,25797,25793&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Violet had not been able to stop thinking about her encounter with Juliette. What [i]did[/i] she want? She had run away with Zeal because she wanted a great love story like her parents, and she had been charmed by Jett for the same reason. Both had ended in disaster. Perhaps it was time to put her dream on hold and figure out some other plan. Or maybe she was being foolish, and there was nothing wrong with Jett. The wildclaw had been nothing but nice to her, after all, giving her a place where Zeal had not. And yet, she wasn't entirely sold on their operation. Maybe it was less so that Jett didn't care about her, and more so that the two of them hadn't been a good fit, like her mother and Gray hadn't been a good fit. All this still left Violet with the question of want. Beyond Zeal and Jett, she had no idea [i]what[/i] she wanted. She had no ambitions, no desires, and no passions. Without the thought of having a boyfriend, she felt like she was floating aimlessly through the world. The thought scared her too much to bear. She would go back to the black market. She would see Jett, and everything would be okay again. That's what she would do. She was being silly. Juliette didn't know what she was talking about, clearly. Just as she had made up her mind, she turned the corner and found herself stumbling past an impromptu camp in the middle of the street. A wildclaw huddled close to the fire, poking it absentmindedly with a stick. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54855099][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54855099&skin=0&apparel=14676,10379,439,20572,20571,20573&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Violet stopped, too surprised to say anything. The wildclaw looked up and noticed her stalled in the air, looking at him dumbfounded. "You wouldn't happen to have any food, would you?" The wildclaw asked meekly. "My stores have just run out, and Thorburn won't give me anymore until tomorrow." "I think I have an apple," Violet realized, digging through her bag. "Though wildclaws only eat meat, don't you?" "It'll do. I'm hungry enough that I'll eat anything," The wildclaw said, taking the apple from her hand. "Thank you, you have no idea how much this means to me." "So, you work for Thorburn too?" Violet asked, settling down next to him. "Not exactly. But he's helping me out with a very important quest," The wildclaw grinned slightly. He took a bite of the apple, wincing slightly at the taste, but he gulped it down. Violet felt her stomach drop. "You wouldn't happen to be Gillian, would you?" She asked. "Yeah, that's my name, why?" The wildclaw looked confused. Violet wrestled for a moment with whether or not to say anything. She didn't want to betray Jett, but this wildclaw looked so hopeful that knowing what was to come was physically painful for her. "Thorburn's not helping you," Violet blurted out at last, growing warm as she said it. She had never done anything so bold before. "He wants your family's fortune for himself. He's using you for information so he can steal it. He's leading you on a wild goose chase." "Oh," Gillian deflated. He looked for a moment at his half-eaten apple, wrinkled his nose, and threw it onto the fire dishearteningly. "I'm sorry," Violet said. Her heart was pounding in her chest. What was Jett going to say if he found out? "Don't be, I was a fool. I just genuinely thought someone might be able to help me find it. My father told me stories, but he said it was all a myth," Gillian sighed. "I just wanted to be the one to find it." Violet fidgeted uncomfortably, not sure what to say to his disappointment. "So, you work for Thorburn then?" Gillian asked, eying her warily. "Yes? No? I don't know," Violet sighed. "Sorry, I'm wasting your time." "No! Don't be sorry! It's actually kind of nice to have some company!" Gillian exclaimed. "I really should go," Violet decided. She felt so anxious, she felt like she was going to tie herself up in knots very soon. "But you know, if you're planning to stay in the Forgotten Kingdom, you don't have to camp out in the street. There's a whole bunch of empty houses in the Living District, you can take your pick." "I like sleeping out under the stars, but thank you. I'll remember your advice if I decide to stick around," Gillian smiled slightly. "Thanks again for the heads up, I feel like such an idiot." "You're welcome," Violet said quietly. [i]I'm the idiot[/i], she thought to herself. She didn't know who she wanted to be, but she knew it wasn't a liar. She could see now that she and Jett would never have worked. Perhaps it was time to figure herself out before jumping into some sort of relationship. Without saying another word to Gillian, she slipped away to return home. She had a lot to think about. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/58#post_40712616]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @HauntedWhale @Disillusionist @AlchemyFox @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @Leopardmask @Midwinter @chantric @Dynami @ShinyDecidueye @tigressRising @FallenEclipse @Stitched @Willnotgogently @Sabariel @MisterMylez @Skystrider @Starongie @icetail0912 @myriadofstars @Aetherstorm @Weredogalism @Nargeorgicorn @WeaverofLies @herobrinna @secretlylying @Azurepocalypse @GoldictheHedgefx @CobaltMoon[/center] ----- Oh man, Bailaduel is such a fascinating character to write! I've never written a character like her! She keeps surprising me too, I totally thought she would start the healing process with Virtue when I started the chapter, but turns out she's doing what Bailaduel does best and is making things more difficult for herself. Virtue has gotten her thinking though, so maybe there is a start of something. Also, bringing Violet in has been hard because I realized she had no personality outside being in a relationship??? Which, I mean, was the point. I created her to be quiet and dependent and have no willpower, but it's going to be interesting to see who she turns out to be now that she's starting to figure herself out. Also, I do want to get her into a relationship eventually, but not until after she's gone through enough character development for that not to be her defining trait. I have a few potentials to ship her with, but we'll have to see where the story takes her (and who stays alive!) Today I took Virtue, Bailaduel and Scoril into the Coli and Scoril slayed everything in the training grounds! Bailaduel is now level 2 and Virtue is level 4.

Day 65: Hear Me Roar
Granny Smith Apple
Sentence: 10-20 Coli Battles

dragon?did=51025816&skin=0&apparel=12267,739,17239,17260,17284&xt=dressing.png

Bailaduel paced around her new room in the palace. She had been moved to the wing given to Virtue and Hollyn to house the Sisters of Virtue. The move insulted the wildclaw, it was as if she were being passed around like a child. She had half a mind to get up and leave, but she was trapped here, as Coldstorm had told her. She would be trying to leave the city until it killed her. It was better to wait out this process and find her own corner in the clan where no one would bother her.

She didn't like how lost she felt. She always had a purpose, and that was to survive. It was why she had teamed up with Ghostlantern, and why she had later killed him. It was why she had moved from flight to flight, taking various mercenary jobs without question. It was why she had taken this one, and why she had gone to move onto the next. But somewhere along the way, survival wasn't enough anymore. If this were just about survival, she would be content to stay in the Forgotten Kingdom, if that's what would keep her alive. Now she itched to leave, hungry for something that she could never seem to fill.

Or maybe she was just hungry, Bailaduel realized as her stomach growled. When had she last eaten? She had refused breakfast and lunch, with everyone too busy fawning over the sick queen to worry about whether she was taking her proper meals. Now she regretted that action. She had done it out of spite, and dinner seemed ages away. It was then that she remembered that Hollyn had a collection of pet bunnies. Surely she wouldn't notice if one of them were to disappear?

Feeling proud of her ingenuity, Bailaduel slipped out of her room and made her way through the common area towards the room Hollyn and Virtue shared. Virtue usually took Hollyn out for a walk around this time, so the wildclaw was certain she could sneak in unnoticed. Stepping lightly, she creaked open the door and made her way inside.

Bailaduel could smell the rabbits moving around, their warm blood rising making her mouth water. Yes, they would make a good snack indeed! Licking her lips, the wildclaw pried open the lid to the rabbit enclosure and pulled out a plump rabbit. It squealed at her harsh grip, fear in its wide black eyes, but it didn't struggle. Silly rabbit, it had gone soft and trusting, too used to the caring hand of Hollyn. It's trust would be its downfall. The wildclaw bared her teeth and moved for the kill.

Before Bailaduel could bite down on the soft flesh of the rabbit, the door to the room swung open and she heard a scream sound as light flooded the room and the wildclaw was blinded. She dropped the bunny in surprise, and it hopped towards the figure in the door. As Bailaduel adjusted to the light, she saw Hollyn staring at her with a look of absolute horror. Her mouth hung open as she screamed, and tears began rolling down her cheeks. Bailaduel swore. Maybe she and Virtue hadn't gone out after all.
dragon?did=54077498&skin=25608&apparel=3289,2463,29008&xt=dressing.png

Bailaduel quickly moved to slip away, hoping the incident would soon be forgotten, but Virtue intercepted her before she could reach her room again.
dragon?did=54020446&skin=0&apparel=10390,30550,30549,29008,491&xt=dressing.png

"We need to talk, now," Virtue's voice was calm, but firm. There was no wriggling out of this one. The imperial's form towered over the wildclaw, and she knew that despite her experience, she was no match for a dragon so big. Bailaduel let herself be led into Virtue's office. The imperial closed the door and locked her in, leaving her alone for a moment. Bailaduel could hear her even voice calming Hollyn before she returned.

The imperial's calm demeanor didn't fool Bailaduel. Virtue was furious. Bailaduel didn't see what the big deal was. Hollyn had lots of rabbits, and she could easily get another. What did it matter if she ate one or two.

"You know, we didn't have to take you in. We could have left you to die on that cold, dark street where you lay starving, but Age has made it very clear this is a kingdom of second chances," Virtue growled. "We could have thrown you out the moment you were conscious again, especially considering how hostile you've been to everyone. Honestly, I'm surprised the curse hasn't gotten to you yet, with all that darkness in your heart."

Bailaduel snorted. She couldn't be serious? The Forgotten Kingdom had basically kept her prisoner since she had been rediscovered! What sort of kindness was that?

"I agreed to take you in because I know what its like to live a rough life. I know what its like to fight for everything you have. I know what its like to lose things, and what it's like to try to build something resembling a good life out of the ashes," Virtue said. "I lost two sisters in the process. They may not be here anymore, but it was because of our vision, of a life no one had to fight for, that we created the Sisters of Virtue. I want this to be a place where dragons come to challenge their brokenness, to make something better of it. I want to see you face everything that's made you as twisted and bitter as you are and help you make it into something that makes you happy. I want everything my sisters and I have done to be for some good, so that they didn't die pointless deaths in an unfair world. I am willing to stand by no matter what you do or how many times you try to bit off my head, but I will not let you disrespect my remaining sister by taking something she loves from her. Has she not already lost enough?"

"Life is about loss, sister," Bailaduel cackled. "It's about time you get used to that. It's honorable, you know, fighting for something better, but let me tell you, there's nothing better out here. You had a nice run, but now your queen is sick. Maybe she'll live now, but she's going to die sooner or later, and how long will it be before all her precious ideals are broken and the throne is held by a corrupt monarch, just like every other kingdom in history. It's inevitable. So remind me again why your precious little sister shouldn't learn life's rough lessons sooner rather than later? It's only a matter of time. A better future? You're only deluding yourself."

Virtue shook her head. "I can't believe you. Do you know anything about love and care and compassion? Why does life being unfair give you special permission to ruin things for everyone else?"

"I know I thought I found love once, but I was stabbed in the back," Bailaduel snorted. "When I met Ghostlantern, I was young and naive. I truly thought working together would make life better and easier, but it didn't. I thought I was right, fighting for a better life for my children. You don't know the pain of watching my youngest starve because there was no food. He said we would fight for the other two, but where did that leave us? The moment it suited him, he tried to kill me for money. I had no choice but to try to kill the dragon I love, so you tell me where all those fuzzy little feelings get you in the end."

"What about your children?" Virtue pressed. "If you care so much about giving them a better life, then why would you abandon your family? You think Seaberry and Coldstorm don't need you? You think Karma wanted to grow up in a broken family? You really think your actions don't have consequences?"

"Honey, the sooner they learn how to tough it out for themselves, the better," Bailaduel grimaced. "The more they rely on others, the more they are going to get let down when reality sets in. Leaving them is the best thing I could do for them, its what my parents did for me."

"You do realize that in saying what you have, you're stepping on everything they've built for themselves in The Forgotten Kingdom? All the hard work they've put into pursuing a living and finding their place? Invalidating all of the relationships they've built?" Virtue asked. "Do you realize how much of a hypocrite that makes you?"

"They've made their own choices, I've made mine," Bailaduel shrugged.

Virtue sighed. Bailaduel could tell she was getting tired, and she felt a glimmer of satisfaction.

"Fine, leave if you want," Virtue snapped. "in order to bring forth change, you have to want it, and its clear you don't. Your wasting your time here, and you're upsetting Hollyn. If you change your mind, you're welcome to come back and I can walk alongside you as your sister if you want to work through everything you've gone through and heal form your past, but I'm not going to force you into something you clearly don't want."

A smile stretched across Bailaduel's face. She had won. She should feel happy, but somehow she didn't. It was a hollow victory, she was no less lost than she was before. She just didn't have annoying dragons looming over her anymore.

As Bailaduel returned to her room to pack up her meager possessions, she felt a deep heaviness over her. Some of the things Virtue had said cut deeper than she cared to admit. Their argument had opened old wounds, wounds she had thought she had gotten over. Why should Ghostlantern still have this power over her? He was dead and gone, and yet he was still hurting her as he had when he was alive. His death should have solved his betrayal, but it still cut like a knife.

Bailaduel was just as weak as she always thought. Feeling a surge of anger at her own softness, she slung her bag over her shoulder and flew off into the night. She would return to the house she had stayed in when she had been hired as Bahat and Bonegnasher's bodyguard, and from there, she could figure out her next move.

tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png

dragon?did=54433580&skin=0&apparel=750,1753,21243,21292,21300,25797,25793&xt=dressing.png

Violet had not been able to stop thinking about her encounter with Juliette. What did she want? She had run away with Zeal because she wanted a great love story like her parents, and she had been charmed by Jett for the same reason. Both had ended in disaster. Perhaps it was time to put her dream on hold and figure out some other plan. Or maybe she was being foolish, and there was nothing wrong with Jett. The wildclaw had been nothing but nice to her, after all, giving her a place where Zeal had not. And yet, she wasn't entirely sold on their operation. Maybe it was less so that Jett didn't care about her, and more so that the two of them hadn't been a good fit, like her mother and Gray hadn't been a good fit.

All this still left Violet with the question of want. Beyond Zeal and Jett, she had no idea what she wanted. She had no ambitions, no desires, and no passions. Without the thought of having a boyfriend, she felt like she was floating aimlessly through the world.

The thought scared her too much to bear. She would go back to the black market. She would see Jett, and everything would be okay again. That's what she would do. She was being silly. Juliette didn't know what she was talking about, clearly.

Just as she had made up her mind, she turned the corner and found herself stumbling past an impromptu camp in the middle of the street. A wildclaw huddled close to the fire, poking it absentmindedly with a stick.
dragon?did=54855099&skin=0&apparel=14676,10379,439,20572,20571,20573&xt=dressing.png

Violet stopped, too surprised to say anything. The wildclaw looked up and noticed her stalled in the air, looking at him dumbfounded.

"You wouldn't happen to have any food, would you?" The wildclaw asked meekly. "My stores have just run out, and Thorburn won't give me anymore until tomorrow."

"I think I have an apple," Violet realized, digging through her bag. "Though wildclaws only eat meat, don't you?"

"It'll do. I'm hungry enough that I'll eat anything," The wildclaw said, taking the apple from her hand. "Thank you, you have no idea how much this means to me."

"So, you work for Thorburn too?" Violet asked, settling down next to him.

"Not exactly. But he's helping me out with a very important quest," The wildclaw grinned slightly. He took a bite of the apple, wincing slightly at the taste, but he gulped it down.

Violet felt her stomach drop. "You wouldn't happen to be Gillian, would you?" She asked.

"Yeah, that's my name, why?" The wildclaw looked confused.

Violet wrestled for a moment with whether or not to say anything. She didn't want to betray Jett, but this wildclaw looked so hopeful that knowing what was to come was physically painful for her.

"Thorburn's not helping you," Violet blurted out at last, growing warm as she said it. She had never done anything so bold before. "He wants your family's fortune for himself. He's using you for information so he can steal it. He's leading you on a wild goose chase."

"Oh," Gillian deflated. He looked for a moment at his half-eaten apple, wrinkled his nose, and threw it onto the fire dishearteningly.

"I'm sorry," Violet said. Her heart was pounding in her chest. What was Jett going to say if he found out?

"Don't be, I was a fool. I just genuinely thought someone might be able to help me find it. My father told me stories, but he said it was all a myth," Gillian sighed. "I just wanted to be the one to find it."

Violet fidgeted uncomfortably, not sure what to say to his disappointment.

"So, you work for Thorburn then?" Gillian asked, eying her warily.

"Yes? No? I don't know," Violet sighed. "Sorry, I'm wasting your time."

"No! Don't be sorry! It's actually kind of nice to have some company!" Gillian exclaimed.

"I really should go," Violet decided. She felt so anxious, she felt like she was going to tie herself up in knots very soon. "But you know, if you're planning to stay in the Forgotten Kingdom, you don't have to camp out in the street. There's a whole bunch of empty houses in the Living District, you can take your pick."

"I like sleeping out under the stars, but thank you. I'll remember your advice if I decide to stick around," Gillian smiled slightly. "Thanks again for the heads up, I feel like such an idiot."

"You're welcome," Violet said quietly. I'm the idiot, she thought to herself. She didn't know who she wanted to be, but she knew it wasn't a liar. She could see now that she and Jett would never have worked. Perhaps it was time to figure herself out before jumping into some sort of relationship.

Without saying another word to Gillian, she slipped away to return home. She had a lot to think about.

Oh man, Bailaduel is such a fascinating character to write! I've never written a character like her! She keeps surprising me too, I totally thought she would start the healing process with Virtue when I started the chapter, but turns out she's doing what Bailaduel does best and is making things more difficult for herself. Virtue has gotten her thinking though, so maybe there is a start of something.

Also, bringing Violet in has been hard because I realized she had no personality outside being in a relationship??? Which, I mean, was the point. I created her to be quiet and dependent and have no willpower, but it's going to be interesting to see who she turns out to be now that she's starting to figure herself out. Also, I do want to get her into a relationship eventually, but not until after she's gone through enough character development for that not to be her defining trait. I have a few potentials to ship her with, but we'll have to see where the story takes her (and who stays alive!)

Today I took Virtue, Bailaduel and Scoril into the Coli and Scoril slayed everything in the training grounds! Bailaduel is now level 2 and Virtue is level 4.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
Baila nO
Sounds like your characters are trying to write themselves, eh? I like your plans for Violet though!
Baila nO
Sounds like your characters are trying to write themselves, eh? I like your plans for Violet though!
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
@Leopardmask

They sure are! Sooner or later, I find that's always the case. Usually I know my characters well enough to plan for them, but sometimes I get the occasional character that is full of surprises!

Thank you! I'm excited to explore Violet more!
@Leopardmask

They sure are! Sooner or later, I find that's always the case. Usually I know my characters well enough to plan for them, but sometimes I get the occasional character that is full of surprises!

Thank you! I'm excited to explore Violet more!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
I hope Violet lives a while, she's growing on me.
Bailaduel was running on hangry logic this chapter. Relatable and yet tragic.
I hope Violet lives a while, she's growing on me.
Bailaduel was running on hangry logic this chapter. Relatable and yet tragic.
GD7On40.png
It is always really fun when you work the coli pull into the chapter somehow~ It's like a secret treasure hunt!

Bailadual is honestly very relatable... sometimes, you don't want to be helped, even if you know you need it, and being bitter and angry, and making people dislike you because of it, gives you a sense of justification. Like, 'it doesn't matter what I do, since people are just going to hate me anyway, so I might as well be a jerk'. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy... She could still turn this around, but it's going to be something she finds out for herself, since it seems she is unwilling to hear it from others, and I hope she does before it's too late.

Poor Violet... It's hard to be young and surrounded be other people's love stories, but not have any for yourself. It makes you think 'is there something wrong with me?' and 'when is it my turn?' and 'I'm nothing if I don't have someone else to validate that I am here and I exist and I am worth loving.'... She definitely is on the right track now, though! You learn to love and grow yourself first, then you can love and grow a relationship... Together and equal.
It is always really fun when you work the coli pull into the chapter somehow~ It's like a secret treasure hunt!

Bailadual is honestly very relatable... sometimes, you don't want to be helped, even if you know you need it, and being bitter and angry, and making people dislike you because of it, gives you a sense of justification. Like, 'it doesn't matter what I do, since people are just going to hate me anyway, so I might as well be a jerk'. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy... She could still turn this around, but it's going to be something she finds out for herself, since it seems she is unwilling to hear it from others, and I hope she does before it's too late.

Poor Violet... It's hard to be young and surrounded be other people's love stories, but not have any for yourself. It makes you think 'is there something wrong with me?' and 'when is it my turn?' and 'I'm nothing if I don't have someone else to validate that I am here and I exist and I am worth loving.'... She definitely is on the right track now, though! You learn to love and grow yourself first, then you can love and grow a relationship... Together and equal.
tumblr_p89rkfc4Pq1wvvm88o2_100.png 63Nkadh.pngtumblr_inline_nlmzw4PbYE1qdxu5r.giflqgXN8M.png
Bailaduel, no naughtys. No. Bad.
Bailaduel, no naughtys. No. Bad.
8BSeJPmyIO3z8AAAAASUVORK5CYII.png
Pinkerlocke? Not now, but one day...
Yikes Bailaduel, I wonder if the curse really is getting to her, or at the very least Ghostlantern is. I really hope she finds a way to settle into the clan, she's been through so much that she deserves it at this point.
Yikes Bailaduel, I wonder if the curse really is getting to her, or at the very least Ghostlantern is. I really hope she finds a way to settle into the clan, she's been through so much that she deserves it at this point.
lightning.gif x
eGiN2Xv.png --
WuLeD0x.png
x
» Autumn
» they/he/she
» FR+8
@Petall Ngl, I lol'd at the beginning of this chapter. I was engrossed in Bailaduel's inner thoughts and nodding along with her, and then -- "or maybe she was just hungry". XD!! I can relate; I've been there before. Brooding with dark, edgy, angsty thoughts, and then it all turns into rainbows and sunshine once I've gotten a couple of biscuits into my belly.

The next scene, though, wow. Bailaduel can be incredibly...I guess childish is the word? At the same time, I also can't help wondering if that curse is digging its claws into her.

I enjoyed the scene with Violet and Gillian. After the fairly heavy stuff with Bailaduel and Virtue, it was nice to read a more positive interaction. And YES, it's funny how characters sometimes write themselves! I've had that happen so many times, too. "X is going to act like this and now my clan will fiiiinally get a dedicated dishwasher!!", but instead X goes and becomes, like, a mad scientist or something. Characters be weird, yo.
@Petall Ngl, I lol'd at the beginning of this chapter. I was engrossed in Bailaduel's inner thoughts and nodding along with her, and then -- "or maybe she was just hungry". XD!! I can relate; I've been there before. Brooding with dark, edgy, angsty thoughts, and then it all turns into rainbows and sunshine once I've gotten a couple of biscuits into my belly.

The next scene, though, wow. Bailaduel can be incredibly...I guess childish is the word? At the same time, I also can't help wondering if that curse is digging its claws into her.

I enjoyed the scene with Violet and Gillian. After the fairly heavy stuff with Bailaduel and Virtue, it was nice to read a more positive interaction. And YES, it's funny how characters sometimes write themselves! I've had that happen so many times, too. "X is going to act like this and now my clan will fiiiinally get a dedicated dishwasher!!", but instead X goes and becomes, like, a mad scientist or something. Characters be weird, yo.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Weredogalism

I hope so too!

Yup, all of the hangry! Maybe if Virtue had given her something to eat before the conversation, it would have gone a lot better XD

@AlchemyFox

Thanks! I enjoy when I'm able to do that!

Yeah, Bailaduel's a stubborn one. And she's sort of been taught that in order to be strong, you must be able to survive on your own, so that doesn't help her with accepting help. If she even were to admit there was a problem, she would probably be too proud to actually seek help.

Yeah, it can be easy to get caught up in idealizing a relationship, and then not put in the work to actually build a strong foundation for one! Once Violet figures herself out, she can find someone who's a proper fit for her rather than jumping into a relationship with anyone who shows interest! You think, with her mom being on the bachelorette and eliminating a bunch of guys who weren't a good for her, maybe Violet would have figured it out sooner, but she was so caught up in the romance of it all! XD

@MisterMylez

But Bailaduel's good at the naughtys!

@Midwinter

Yeah, she sure has been through a lot, hasn't she? She's kind of been caught up in the belief that the kind of community the clan has isn't really something she deserves...

@Disillusionist

It's surprising how much of a difference food can make! XD

Bailaduel may be mature, but she hasn't really developed any solid emotional maturity, at least when it comes to relating to others.

It's honestly one of my favourite parts of writing! I love it so much when my characters surprise me!
@Weredogalism

I hope so too!

Yup, all of the hangry! Maybe if Virtue had given her something to eat before the conversation, it would have gone a lot better XD

@AlchemyFox

Thanks! I enjoy when I'm able to do that!

Yeah, Bailaduel's a stubborn one. And she's sort of been taught that in order to be strong, you must be able to survive on your own, so that doesn't help her with accepting help. If she even were to admit there was a problem, she would probably be too proud to actually seek help.

Yeah, it can be easy to get caught up in idealizing a relationship, and then not put in the work to actually build a strong foundation for one! Once Violet figures herself out, she can find someone who's a proper fit for her rather than jumping into a relationship with anyone who shows interest! You think, with her mom being on the bachelorette and eliminating a bunch of guys who weren't a good for her, maybe Violet would have figured it out sooner, but she was so caught up in the romance of it all! XD

@MisterMylez

But Bailaduel's good at the naughtys!

@Midwinter

Yeah, she sure has been through a lot, hasn't she? She's kind of been caught up in the belief that the kind of community the clan has isn't really something she deserves...

@Disillusionist

It's surprising how much of a difference food can make! XD

Bailaduel may be mature, but she hasn't really developed any solid emotional maturity, at least when it comes to relating to others.

It's honestly one of my favourite parts of writing! I love it so much when my characters surprise me!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/58#post_40697852]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Day 66: Pulse[/u][/b] [item=scholar] Sentence: Death Streak Roll[/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51536637][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51536637&skin=0&apparel=23081,12897,12904,10724&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52876940][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=52876940&skin=0&apparel=27972,27907,27908,27910,16492&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Larkin sat with her daughter as she slept. It was not a peaceful sleep. Age kicked as she tossed and turned, clearly in as much agony as she had been when she was awake. Her heart broke, and she wanted nothing more than to take her daughter's illness away from her, and fight off whatever darkness clung to her heart. It was clear that whatever had attached itself to her when Nevaeh died had taken root, despite the goodness Age held within. It was getting stronger. Age awoke screaming, and Larkin immediately moved to comfort her. She almost recoiled when she saw her daughter's pitch black eyes, but calmed as they faded to their normal purple. The tundra coughed a few times, bringing up a thick black phlegm. "What day is it?" Age croaked when she had calmed. Larkin passed her a glass of water, waiting until her daughter had downed the whole thing until she responded. "It is the first dawn of the Starfall Celebration," Larkin said softly. "Get some rest, you need it." "But I was supposed the plan something!" Age exclaimed. "We haven't celebrated any of our new years properly. We were too busy with our rebellion to celebrate Thundercrack, and we were so busy building the kingdom that we missed Flameforger's entirely! I wanted to at least host a ball, if nothing else! I need to get planning!" "You aren't well, you need rest." Larkin reminded her. "Don't worry about the Starfall Celebration. The council and I can plan something. You just focus on fighting this thing off." "But-" Age protested. "How are you going to lead the kingdom well if you don't let yourself get better? You're only going to run to yourself into the ground. Your kingdom and family need you well again. The council can handle everything else," Larkin soothed, running a paw through Age's fur. "Thank you," Age said, calming a little. Larkin continued to comfort her until she fell back onto sleep, a little more peacefully this time. Just as the tundra closed her eyes, the door quietly creaked open and Accident crawled inside. His gem guardian lit up the room. Age seemed paler in the glow of a proper light, and Larkin winced. The illness had really taken more of a toll on the queen than she let on. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53073977][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=53073977&skin=0&apparel=12901,25184,25180,25185,27131&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] "How is she?" Accident yawned, settling next to the two tundra to prepare to take his watch sitting with her. "Nothing's changed," Larkin admitted. Accident reached out a paw to Larkin's comfortingly, and the two looked at each other, sharing each other's pain and worry. "I should get to work. I promised Age I'd get the Starfall Ball under way," Larkin groaned, getting up and stretching out her stuff limbs. She moved to go. "Larkin?" Accident suddenly said, looking like he wasn't sure if he wanted to say anything or not. "Hmm?" Larkin turned to face him. "I don't know if it's my place to say any of this, but make sure you get some rest too," Accident said, not meeting her eyes. "Thank you Accident, I will," Larkin said softly. Then the tundra turned and left, leaving the couple alone together in the soft glow of the gem guardian. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] It was always the same dream. Darkness filled everything, overwhelming the kingdom. Age could see it’s greedy tendrils lapping at the entire city, as though waiting to devour everything it held. Every night, it grew stronger and hungrier, more desperate in its pursuit. Suddenly, a voice filled her head, a voice that broke her to hear. It was the voice of an old friend. [i]Join me, my friend. Why fight the curse when you can learn to harness its power for your own?[/i] [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54788065][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54788065&skin=0&apparel=286,27201,19042,13807&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Someone was following him. Coldstorm had set out for a midnight patrol while everyone was sleeping, but it appeared he hadn’t escaped unnoticed after all. He darted through the thick fog, trying to remain out of sight, but every time he turned back, he saw movement in the mist behind him. It was clear it wasn’t just another dragon out for a night flight. Coldstorm didn’t want to admit how much his grandmother’s illness had shaken him. She had been a constant in his childhood in a way his parents had failed to be, and so she had almost been like a mother to him. Now, something evil held her tight, he could sense the darkness around her, and it sent shivers down his spine. Maybe, if he could find the source of the evil, he could save her, and find out how to defeat it. That had been his quest for the past few nights. He spent his days sleeping so that he had the energy to hunt in the night, trying to find the source of the curse. All of his trails kept leading him to the same thick, bramble wall. It stood before him now, the fog disorienting his passage as he fled his pursuer. Coldstorm clenched his fist, igniting his stormclaws. He felt the surge of electricity run through them, fueling him with power and strength. He turned to face his pursuer, ready to attack them as they came for him out of the fog. Now that he was still, the shape flew swiftly towards him, not slowing in their tracks. Just as the figure burst out of the fog, Coldstorm leaped forward to meet them, sending shocks through their body. As the dragon fell to the ground with a yelp of pain, the wildclaw recognized it to be Cantarelli. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54677424][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=54677424&skin=0&apparel=23032,23026,23033,23031&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] “Gosh, I’m so sorry! I thought you might be-- I didn’t know it was you!” Coldstorm gasped, turning off the voltage and offering a hand to help Cantarelli up. She took it reluctantly. “Do you always shock everyone who follows you?” The nocturne asked, looking slightly amused. “No,” Coldstorm said sheepishly. “I’m just a bit on edge tonight.” “What’s the quest?” Cantarelli asked. “What do you mean?” Coldstorm tried to pretend that he didn’t understand. It didn’t work. “Okay, so I know you like patrolling, but this is different. I’ve watched you the past little while, and you’re searching for something,” Cantarelli observed. “What’s up?” Coldstorm shifted his feet uncomfortably. “I work alone,” he said stiffly. “Well that’s stupid. You think you can fight off everything that comes your way? You think you don’t have moments of weakness?” Cantarelli shook her head. “A dragon that hunts alone is a dead dragon, that’s what my family always taught me. Look out for yourself, yes, but if you have enough, look out for others too. And don’t be too proud to accept help from others. It’s better to be humble and alive than to be proud and dead.” “But it’s dangerous! I can’t have anyone getting hurt!” Coldstorm protested. “Oh, and you can?” Cantarelli raised an eyebrow. “I don’t matter. I was a fluke, I’m expendable,” Coldstorm looked away. “No one’s expendable,” Cantarelli insisted. “You’re here, and that’s not an accident. Sure, your creation might be, but that doesn’t invalidate your existence now. I know how much your family loves you. I’m pretty sure they’d have something to say about all this if you were to die.” “It’s not just that,” Coldstorm sighed. “Then tell me,” Cantarelli said evenly. Coldstorm stared at her. She looked back evenly. No judgement, no mistrust, just mild curiosity. “I can read things,” Coldstorm explained. “It’s not absolute, but I can tell the light from the dark, the good from the bad. Most dragons are a mix of both, and they are hard to read, but the curse stands out like a sore thumb. That’s what’s attacking Age, and making her sick. That’s why none of your medicines have been working. I thought maybe if I can track down the source of the curse and find some way to fight it, maybe I could make it back down.” Cantarelli just stared at him. “You think I’m an idiot, don’t you?” Coldstorm asked. “Maybe, but you’re also a smart idiot,” Cantarelli grinned. “I’m in.” “No!” Coldstorm’s eyes widened. “You can’t?” “Why not? Are you trying to protect me?” Cantarelli narrowed her eyes. “I’m trying to protect everyone, that’s kind of the point,” Coldstorm shot back. “Well, someone needs to protect you, so that’s what I’m doing,” Cantarelli inisted. “And even if you try to leave me behind, I’ll just follow you right back!” Coldstorm cracked a grin. Maybe it would be nice to have some company. He had, after all, enjoyed their previous patrols together. He turned to examine the thorny wall. It was tall enough that flying over it would be difficult, even with a strong enough jump. It seemed that it was unavoidable, however. He’d have to enter it somehow if he wanted to find the source of the curse. Suddenly, an idea came to him. He activated his stormclaws, trying to burn a passage through the thick barrier. It seemed to work for a moment, but the thorns quickly regrew to replace the broken strands. They must have been grown by magic. That should have been obvious to him with how they had maintained their shape so well over the years, and had avoided overtaking the entire city. If that was the case, there was probably some magic barrier stopping them from just flying over too. “Need any help?” Cantarelli asked, moving next to the wildclaw as she observed the bramble wall. He felt a stab of guilt as he noticed that she was limping. “I think damaging the brambles will just cause them to grow back,” Coldstorm sighed. “But maybe there’s a way to slow down that growth,” there was a mischievous twinkle in the nocturne’s eye as she spoke. Then, without any warning, she coughed up a bolt of magic towards the wall. The vines began to shrivel up, recoiling from where her natural plague magic had touched. It was the first time Coldstorm had seen plague magic in action, and it was terrifying. Cantarelli’s bolt burned a hole straight through the thicket, wide enough for both to walk through. As Coldstorm watched, the vines began to slowly move back towards each other, but they were much more feeble than before. The pair had plenty of time to get through to the other side before the wall had returned to its former state. “Remind me not to get on your bad side,” Coldstorm commented. The pair traveled through The Magic District for quite some time before they came across anything of interest. Coldstorm followed the swirling trail of curse energy for what felt like hours, traveling in relative silence. Neither of them could shake the feeling that they were being watched. It seemed like forever had passed before they walked past a large building. The light of day was beginning to touch the morning sky. Here, Coldstorm could sense something powerful radiating from it, stronger than anything he had ever felt before. The strength of it gave him a headache, and even Cantarelli looked wary. Thankfully, the trail lead right past it, and the pain soon subsided. Every so often, the trail would combine with another strand, like they were all feeding into a single source. They all seemed to lead to the shores of a large, glassy lake. Here, all the strand combined to one, emanating from a hulking form slumbering on the shores of the lake. The darkness that surrounded it sent shivers down Coldstorm’s spine, and he instinctively activated his Stormclaws again as he crept closer to examine the bulk. It was an imperial dragon, but she seemed twisted beyond recognition. The curse seemed to be feeding off of the ability of the breed’s body to carry on after death. Any other dragon would have found the weight of it all too much to bear, but this dragon still clung to life. Every breath came out like a rasp. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52950388][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=52950388&skin=0&apparel=25042,26535,26538,25045,26536,26537&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] “What’s on her scales?” Cantarelli breathed. Between the feathers and plant life clustered around the imperial’s hide, her green scales were laced with a black liquid Coldstorm hadn’t realized Cantarelli would be able to see. She was saturated with the curse to the point that it was coming out of her pores. “This must be Heaven,” Coldstorm breathed, remembering the stories of how the imperial had fled to the magic district, and how Hayze’s body had turned up at the entrance not long after, prompting Age to declare the magic district too dangerous and ensure that it be sealed off completely. At the sound of her name, the imperial stirred. As she rose, she seemed far less feeble, the darkness within her giving her strength. She towered over the two younger dragons, fixing her dark eyes on her prey. Her teeth stretched open, and a dark liquid began to drip from her mouth. Darkness filled her mouth. Coldstorm and Cantarelli immediately realized what was happening and darted out of the way just in time to avoid the bolt of darkness that Heaven fired out of her mouth. “Well, well, well, what do we have here?” The imperial asked gleefully, snaking around the two dragons and allowing her serpentine form to separate the two dragons as she weaved between them. “Some fun at last! It has been oh so boring since I was cut off from everyone else! I’m glad you’ve come, all of you.” Though the voice came from Heaven, something told Coldstorm the words did not belong to her. She seemed more beast than dragon, yet that didn’t erase how powerful an opponent she was. Maybe he had gone in over his head. That, however, wouldn’t stop him. He lunged forward, striking the imperial’s tail with his stormclaws, sending a strong voltage through her entire body. Heaven recoiled, but it didn’t seem to do any significant damage. The curse had obviously overtaken her so strongly that she had lost her natural elemental alignment. Coldstorm could see bolts of Cantarelli’s magic flying through the air, some hitting the imperial, some missing. These seemed to be doing little damage as well. At one point, one of Cantarelli’s bursts hit Heaven as the same point Coldstorm’s electricity did, causing Heaven to cry out in pain. Apparently the combination of magic was far more effective. Upon finding out this advantage, Coldstorm and Cantarelli worked to synchronize their attacks, but even with this strategy, heaven proved to be a difficult opponent. She was still significantly larger than the pair of them, and considerably stronger. The two young dragons were tiring, and yet Heaven still seemed full of energy. It didn’t matter what damage was done to her body, she was still as persistent as ever. Coldstorm was finding it harder and harder to dodge her attacks, and he was beginning to get the feeling that she was toying with him… [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] The whole royal family had gathered in Age’s room. She had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. She was writhing in her bed and no one could rouse her. They all feared the worst. And yet, they were helpless to do anything but watch as their queen suffered, hoping that this would come to pass. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] Coldstorm had lost track of Cantarelli. He had not seen any bursts of magic from her in some time. He hoped this meant that she had run out of magic, and not anything worse. His own energy stores were running low. He hoped Khepri’s order of the lightning stores had come early, he was going to need to restock soon. “You can’t run from me, I am inevitable,” Heaven purred, still standing tall and pround above the wildclaw. She had him pinned down to the ground, a sinister smile stretched across her face. Drips of the dark liquid had landed on his coat, though thankfully none of them had touched his skin. Soon, however, it wouldn’t matter. She was gearing up for another attack, and Coldstorm didn’t have the energy to fight free of the imperial’s grasp. Suddenly, a new sense came over him, another force had joined the battle. He couldn’t tell its alignment, but as Heaven released her bolt of darkness, it didn’t seem to be able to touch him. Feeling a newfound strength, Coldstorm reached for the lantern at his side, which he carried for protection, and lobbed it at the imperial. Heaven screamed at it hit, recoiling away from it as her mane caught alight. All of a sudden, the darkness was burned away until all that remained was the tired body of the imperial who had once been Heaven. It slumped to the ground, pinning Coldstorm down and making it difficult to breathe. He could still hear her rasping breath, but now that the strength of the curse had left her, it seemed to be growing weakly. “Forgive me, Nevaeh,” She murmured, her now-golden eyes sliding shut. All at once, she fell still. Dizzy with relief and exhaustion, Coldstorm passed out. [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/38b30b419b80446dfb5163715d894882/tumblr_pr6wevGMDK1ugssd3o3_500.png[/img][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53798929][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=53798929&skin=0&apparel=5685,1253,5691,5686,5675,2973&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Age suddenly grew very still, and the whole room held their breath. The princes huddled together for comfort, tears forming in their eyes. Only Bonegnasher could gaze upon his mother, his gaze desperately searching for some sign of life. There was a gasp, and Age’s eyes fluttered open, returned to their normal violet. The fever had broken, and while exhausted, she seemed filled with a renewed strength. Accident rushed forward to hug her, and she coughed, though weaker this time. Age wasn’t healed, but the worst had come to pass. Not long afterwards, a tired Cantarelli and Coldstorm returned with the news of Heaven’s death. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2698754/59#post_40718425]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @HauntedWhale @Disillusionist @AlchemyFox @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @Leopardmask @Midwinter @chantric @Dynami @ShinyDecidueye @tigressRising @FallenEclipse @Stitched @Willnotgogently @Sabariel @MisterMylez @Skystrider @Starongie @icetail0912 @myriadofstars @Aetherstorm @Weredogalism @Nargeorgicorn @WeaverofLies @herobrinna @secretlylying @Azurepocalypse @GoldictheHedgefx @CobaltMoon[/center] ----- I have a confession to make. While fight in the Coli today, I may have played favourites and done some damage control. The team was Larkin, Virtue and Heaven, and with Larking being level 7 and Virtue and heaven not being strong enough to survive the Scorched Forest, I knew I was going to lose someone. I just knew it couldn't be Virtue because I just couldn't leave Hollyn on her own. So I may have favoured Larkin and Virtue when it came to the healing potions... (plus it made narrative sense? I've been waiting for an excuse to have a Coldstorm/Heaven confrontation for a while now. I just didn't expect it to end with one of them dead on the first go!) [b]If anyone wants Heaven, you have until 24:59 FR Time tomorrow (Monday) to claim her![/b]

Day 66: Pulse
Scholar
Sentence: Death Streak Roll

dragon?did=51536637&skin=0&apparel=23081,12897,12904,10724&xt=dressing.png
dragon?did=52876940&skin=0&apparel=27972,27907,27908,27910,16492&xt=dressing.png

Larkin sat with her daughter as she slept. It was not a peaceful sleep. Age kicked as she tossed and turned, clearly in as much agony as she had been when she was awake. Her heart broke, and she wanted nothing more than to take her daughter's illness away from her, and fight off whatever darkness clung to her heart. It was clear that whatever had attached itself to her when Nevaeh died had taken root, despite the goodness Age held within. It was getting stronger.

Age awoke screaming, and Larkin immediately moved to comfort her. She almost recoiled when she saw her daughter's pitch black eyes, but calmed as they faded to their normal purple. The tundra coughed a few times, bringing up a thick black phlegm.

"What day is it?" Age croaked when she had calmed. Larkin passed her a glass of water, waiting until her daughter had downed the whole thing until she responded.

"It is the first dawn of the Starfall Celebration," Larkin said softly. "Get some rest, you need it."

"But I was supposed the plan something!" Age exclaimed. "We haven't celebrated any of our new years properly. We were too busy with our rebellion to celebrate Thundercrack, and we were so busy building the kingdom that we missed Flameforger's entirely! I wanted to at least host a ball, if nothing else! I need to get planning!"

"You aren't well, you need rest." Larkin reminded her. "Don't worry about the Starfall Celebration. The council and I can plan something. You just focus on fighting this thing off."

"But-" Age protested.

"How are you going to lead the kingdom well if you don't let yourself get better? You're only going to run to yourself into the ground. Your kingdom and family need you well again. The council can handle everything else," Larkin soothed, running a paw through Age's fur.

"Thank you," Age said, calming a little. Larkin continued to comfort her until she fell back onto sleep, a little more peacefully this time.

Just as the tundra closed her eyes, the door quietly creaked open and Accident crawled inside. His gem guardian lit up the room. Age seemed paler in the glow of a proper light, and Larkin winced. The illness had really taken more of a toll on the queen than she let on.
dragon?did=53073977&skin=0&apparel=12901,25184,25180,25185,27131&xt=dressing.png

"How is she?" Accident yawned, settling next to the two tundra to prepare to take his watch sitting with her.

"Nothing's changed," Larkin admitted.

Accident reached out a paw to Larkin's comfortingly, and the two looked at each other, sharing each other's pain and worry.

"I should get to work. I promised Age I'd get the Starfall Ball under way," Larkin groaned, getting up and stretching out her stuff limbs. She moved to go.

"Larkin?" Accident suddenly said, looking like he wasn't sure if he wanted to say anything or not.

"Hmm?" Larkin turned to face him.

"I don't know if it's my place to say any of this, but make sure you get some rest too," Accident said, not meeting her eyes.

"Thank you Accident, I will," Larkin said softly. Then the tundra turned and left, leaving the couple alone together in the soft glow of the gem guardian.

It was always the same dream. Darkness filled everything, overwhelming the kingdom. Age could see it’s greedy tendrils lapping at the entire city, as though waiting to devour everything it held. Every night, it grew stronger and hungrier, more desperate in its pursuit.

Suddenly, a voice filled her head, a voice that broke her to hear. It was the voice of an old friend.

Join me, my friend. Why fight the curse when you can learn to harness its power for your own?

dragon?did=54788065&skin=0&apparel=286,27201,19042,13807&xt=dressing.png

Someone was following him. Coldstorm had set out for a midnight patrol while everyone was sleeping, but it appeared he hadn’t escaped unnoticed after all. He darted through the thick fog, trying to remain out of sight, but every time he turned back, he saw movement in the mist behind him. It was clear it wasn’t just another dragon out for a night flight.

Coldstorm didn’t want to admit how much his grandmother’s illness had shaken him. She had been a constant in his childhood in a way his parents had failed to be, and so she had almost been like a mother to him. Now, something evil held her tight, he could sense the darkness around her, and it sent shivers down his spine. Maybe, if he could find the source of the evil, he could save her, and find out how to defeat it.

That had been his quest for the past few nights. He spent his days sleeping so that he had the energy to hunt in the night, trying to find the source of the curse. All of his trails kept leading him to the same thick, bramble wall. It stood before him now, the fog disorienting his passage as he fled his pursuer.

Coldstorm clenched his fist, igniting his stormclaws. He felt the surge of electricity run through them, fueling him with power and strength. He turned to face his pursuer, ready to attack them as they came for him out of the fog. Now that he was still, the shape flew swiftly towards him, not slowing in their tracks. Just as the figure burst out of the fog, Coldstorm leaped forward to meet them, sending shocks through their body. As the dragon fell to the ground with a yelp of pain, the wildclaw recognized it to be Cantarelli.
dragon?did=54677424&skin=0&apparel=23032,23026,23033,23031&xt=dressing.png

“Gosh, I’m so sorry! I thought you might be-- I didn’t know it was you!” Coldstorm gasped, turning off the voltage and offering a hand to help Cantarelli up. She took it reluctantly.

“Do you always shock everyone who follows you?” The nocturne asked, looking slightly amused.

“No,” Coldstorm said sheepishly. “I’m just a bit on edge tonight.”

“What’s the quest?” Cantarelli asked.

“What do you mean?” Coldstorm tried to pretend that he didn’t understand. It didn’t work.

“Okay, so I know you like patrolling, but this is different. I’ve watched you the past little while, and you’re searching for something,” Cantarelli observed. “What’s up?”

Coldstorm shifted his feet uncomfortably. “I work alone,” he said stiffly.

“Well that’s stupid. You think you can fight off everything that comes your way? You think you don’t have moments of weakness?” Cantarelli shook her head. “A dragon that hunts alone is a dead dragon, that’s what my family always taught me. Look out for yourself, yes, but if you have enough, look out for others too. And don’t be too proud to accept help from others. It’s better to be humble and alive than to be proud and dead.”

“But it’s dangerous! I can’t have anyone getting hurt!” Coldstorm protested.

“Oh, and you can?” Cantarelli raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t matter. I was a fluke, I’m expendable,” Coldstorm looked away.

“No one’s expendable,” Cantarelli insisted. “You’re here, and that’s not an accident. Sure, your creation might be, but that doesn’t invalidate your existence now. I know how much your family loves you. I’m pretty sure they’d have something to say about all this if you were to die.”

“It’s not just that,” Coldstorm sighed.

“Then tell me,” Cantarelli said evenly. Coldstorm stared at her. She looked back evenly. No judgement, no mistrust, just mild curiosity.

“I can read things,” Coldstorm explained. “It’s not absolute, but I can tell the light from the dark, the good from the bad. Most dragons are a mix of both, and they are hard to read, but the curse stands out like a sore thumb. That’s what’s attacking Age, and making her sick. That’s why none of your medicines have been working. I thought maybe if I can track down the source of the curse and find some way to fight it, maybe I could make it back down.”

Cantarelli just stared at him.

“You think I’m an idiot, don’t you?” Coldstorm asked.

“Maybe, but you’re also a smart idiot,” Cantarelli grinned. “I’m in.”

“No!” Coldstorm’s eyes widened. “You can’t?”

“Why not? Are you trying to protect me?” Cantarelli narrowed her eyes.

“I’m trying to protect everyone, that’s kind of the point,” Coldstorm shot back.

“Well, someone needs to protect you, so that’s what I’m doing,” Cantarelli inisted. “And even if you try to leave me behind, I’ll just follow you right back!”

Coldstorm cracked a grin. Maybe it would be nice to have some company. He had, after all, enjoyed their previous patrols together. He turned to examine the thorny wall. It was tall enough that flying over it would be difficult, even with a strong enough jump. It seemed that it was unavoidable, however. He’d have to enter it somehow if he wanted to find the source of the curse.

Suddenly, an idea came to him. He activated his stormclaws, trying to burn a passage through the thick barrier. It seemed to work for a moment, but the thorns quickly regrew to replace the broken strands. They must have been grown by magic. That should have been obvious to him with how they had maintained their shape so well over the years, and had avoided overtaking the entire city. If that was the case, there was probably some magic barrier stopping them from just flying over too.

“Need any help?” Cantarelli asked, moving next to the wildclaw as she observed the bramble wall. He felt a stab of guilt as he noticed that she was limping.

“I think damaging the brambles will just cause them to grow back,” Coldstorm sighed.

“But maybe there’s a way to slow down that growth,” there was a mischievous twinkle in the nocturne’s eye as she spoke. Then, without any warning, she coughed up a bolt of magic towards the wall. The vines began to shrivel up, recoiling from where her natural plague magic had touched. It was the first time Coldstorm had seen plague magic in action, and it was terrifying.

Cantarelli’s bolt burned a hole straight through the thicket, wide enough for both to walk through. As Coldstorm watched, the vines began to slowly move back towards each other, but they were much more feeble than before. The pair had plenty of time to get through to the other side before the wall had returned to its former state.

“Remind me not to get on your bad side,” Coldstorm commented.

The pair traveled through The Magic District for quite some time before they came across anything of interest. Coldstorm followed the swirling trail of curse energy for what felt like hours, traveling in relative silence. Neither of them could shake the feeling that they were being watched.

It seemed like forever had passed before they walked past a large building. The light of day was beginning to touch the morning sky. Here, Coldstorm could sense something powerful radiating from it, stronger than anything he had ever felt before. The strength of it gave him a headache, and even Cantarelli looked wary. Thankfully, the trail lead right past it, and the pain soon subsided.

Every so often, the trail would combine with another strand, like they were all feeding into a single source. They all seemed to lead to the shores of a large, glassy lake. Here, all the strand combined to one, emanating from a hulking form slumbering on the shores of the lake. The darkness that surrounded it sent shivers down Coldstorm’s spine, and he instinctively activated his Stormclaws again as he crept closer to examine the bulk.

It was an imperial dragon, but she seemed twisted beyond recognition. The curse seemed to be feeding off of the ability of the breed’s body to carry on after death. Any other dragon would have found the weight of it all too much to bear, but this dragon still clung to life. Every breath came out like a rasp.
dragon?did=52950388&skin=0&apparel=25042,26535,26538,25045,26536,26537&xt=dressing.png

“What’s on her scales?” Cantarelli breathed.

Between the feathers and plant life clustered around the imperial’s hide, her green scales were laced with a black liquid Coldstorm hadn’t realized Cantarelli would be able to see. She was saturated with the curse to the point that it was coming out of her pores.

“This must be Heaven,” Coldstorm breathed, remembering the stories of how the imperial had fled to the magic district, and how Hayze’s body had turned up at the entrance not long after, prompting Age to declare the magic district too dangerous and ensure that it be sealed off completely.

At the sound of her name, the imperial stirred. As she rose, she seemed far less feeble, the darkness within her giving her strength. She towered over the two younger dragons, fixing her dark eyes on her prey. Her teeth stretched open, and a dark liquid began to drip from her mouth. Darkness filled her mouth.

Coldstorm and Cantarelli immediately realized what was happening and darted out of the way just in time to avoid the bolt of darkness that Heaven fired out of her mouth.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” The imperial asked gleefully, snaking around the two dragons and allowing her serpentine form to separate the two dragons as she weaved between them. “Some fun at last! It has been oh so boring since I was cut off from everyone else! I’m glad you’ve come, all of you.”

Though the voice came from Heaven, something told Coldstorm the words did not belong to her. She seemed more beast than dragon, yet that didn’t erase how powerful an opponent she was.

Maybe he had gone in over his head.

That, however, wouldn’t stop him. He lunged forward, striking the imperial’s tail with his stormclaws, sending a strong voltage through her entire body. Heaven recoiled, but it didn’t seem to do any significant damage. The curse had obviously overtaken her so strongly that she had lost her natural elemental alignment.

Coldstorm could see bolts of Cantarelli’s magic flying through the air, some hitting the imperial, some missing. These seemed to be doing little damage as well. At one point, one of Cantarelli’s bursts hit Heaven as the same point Coldstorm’s electricity did, causing Heaven to cry out in pain. Apparently the combination of magic was far more effective.

Upon finding out this advantage, Coldstorm and Cantarelli worked to synchronize their attacks, but even with this strategy, heaven proved to be a difficult opponent. She was still significantly larger than the pair of them, and considerably stronger. The two young dragons were tiring, and yet Heaven still seemed full of energy. It didn’t matter what damage was done to her body, she was still as persistent as ever. Coldstorm was finding it harder and harder to dodge her attacks, and he was beginning to get the feeling that she was toying with him…

The whole royal family had gathered in Age’s room. She had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. She was writhing in her bed and no one could rouse her. They all feared the worst. And yet, they were helpless to do anything but watch as their queen suffered, hoping that this would come to pass.

Coldstorm had lost track of Cantarelli. He had not seen any bursts of magic from her in some time. He hoped this meant that she had run out of magic, and not anything worse. His own energy stores were running low. He hoped Khepri’s order of the lightning stores had come early, he was going to need to restock soon.

“You can’t run from me, I am inevitable,” Heaven purred, still standing tall and pround above the wildclaw. She had him pinned down to the ground, a sinister smile stretched across her face. Drips of the dark liquid had landed on his coat, though thankfully none of them had touched his skin. Soon, however, it wouldn’t matter. She was gearing up for another attack, and Coldstorm didn’t have the energy to fight free of the imperial’s grasp.

Suddenly, a new sense came over him, another force had joined the battle. He couldn’t tell its alignment, but as Heaven released her bolt of darkness, it didn’t seem to be able to touch him. Feeling a newfound strength, Coldstorm reached for the lantern at his side, which he carried for protection, and lobbed it at the imperial.

Heaven screamed at it hit, recoiling away from it as her mane caught alight. All of a sudden, the darkness was burned away until all that remained was the tired body of the imperial who had once been Heaven. It slumped to the ground, pinning Coldstorm down and making it difficult to breathe. He could still hear her rasping breath, but now that the strength of the curse had left her, it seemed to be growing weakly.

“Forgive me, Nevaeh,” She murmured, her now-golden eyes sliding shut. All at once, she fell still.

Dizzy with relief and exhaustion, Coldstorm passed out.

dragon?did=53798929&skin=0&apparel=5685,1253,5691,5686,5675,2973&xt=dressing.png

Age suddenly grew very still, and the whole room held their breath. The princes huddled together for comfort, tears forming in their eyes. Only Bonegnasher could gaze upon his mother, his gaze desperately searching for some sign of life.

There was a gasp, and Age’s eyes fluttered open, returned to their normal violet. The fever had broken, and while exhausted, she seemed filled with a renewed strength. Accident rushed forward to hug her, and she coughed, though weaker this time.

Age wasn’t healed, but the worst had come to pass.

Not long afterwards, a tired Cantarelli and Coldstorm returned with the news of Heaven’s death.

I have a confession to make. While fight in the Coli today, I may have played favourites and done some damage control. The team was Larkin, Virtue and Heaven, and with Larking being level 7 and Virtue and heaven not being strong enough to survive the Scorched Forest, I knew I was going to lose someone. I just knew it couldn't be Virtue because I just couldn't leave Hollyn on her own. So I may have favoured Larkin and Virtue when it came to the healing potions... (plus it made narrative sense? I've been waiting for an excuse to have a Coldstorm/Heaven confrontation for a while now. I just didn't expect it to end with one of them dead on the first go!)

If anyone wants Heaven, you have until 24:59 FR Time tomorrow (Monday) to claim her!
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 141 142