Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Language-Learning, Exchange & Resources
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36
thank you thank you thank you this is so helpful asdjjhj saved [quote][b]1st Language[/b]: [s]Australian[/s] English :p (native) [b]2nd Language[/b]: Mandarin (more or less fluent speaking-wise, but terrible at reading and writing it ;-;) [b]Target Language + Skill Level[/b]: Japanese! (beginner) French (somewhere between beginner and intermediate) [b]Hobbies / Interests[/b]: video games, anime, a heck load of fandoms, drawing, writing[/quote] nice to meet you all!
thank you thank you thank you this is so helpful asdjjhj saved
Quote:
1st Language: Australian English :p (native)
2nd Language: Mandarin (more or less fluent speaking-wise, but terrible at reading and writing it ;-;)

Target Language + Skill Level:
Japanese! (beginner)
French (somewhere between beginner and intermediate)

Hobbies / Interests:
video games, anime, a heck load of fandoms, drawing, writing

nice to meet you all!
vDUk7Wn.png used to be asianbirb
English
Teochew
---
Spanish
Mandarin

From best known to least known, with the line separating the languages I'm comfortable speaking in. I'm putting all my efforts into learning Mandarin now, but I'm polishing up on my Teochew on the side because it makes me very sad to think I'll lose the ability to speak it in the future, since it's my family language.

I took five years of Spanish classes so I'm conversational there, but I'm still not confident. I haven't had any formal classes in Mandarin, so I'm all on my lonesome for that. Still, Mandarin and Teochew are very similar so I more or less have an advantage, especially since Teochew has eight tones and Mandarin only has four.

Anyway, I really love studying languages with people, so please holler if you would like to study Mandarin or Spanish with me.
English
Teochew
---
Spanish
Mandarin

From best known to least known, with the line separating the languages I'm comfortable speaking in. I'm putting all my efforts into learning Mandarin now, but I'm polishing up on my Teochew on the side because it makes me very sad to think I'll lose the ability to speak it in the future, since it's my family language.

I took five years of Spanish classes so I'm conversational there, but I'm still not confident. I haven't had any formal classes in Mandarin, so I'm all on my lonesome for that. Still, Mandarin and Teochew are very similar so I more or less have an advantage, especially since Teochew has eight tones and Mandarin only has four.

Anyway, I really love studying languages with people, so please holler if you would like to study Mandarin or Spanish with me.
fluent/good in english only

interested in german, japanese, italian, french

german and japanese are harder for me

for japanese i would like some sources dealing with KANJI (ie easy ways to remember them) since I know all the hiragana and katakana (i took the first two levels in high school and retook them in college and tried to take the intermediate one but the kanji was too hard for me)

german was easier but now im at the point in duolingo where the verbs start going in weird places in the sentence

im planning to finish the italian tree on duolingo and then the french one bc these are easiest for me

also i use the hints a lot btw

also im better at translating to english than at translating from english
fluent/good in english only

interested in german, japanese, italian, french

german and japanese are harder for me

for japanese i would like some sources dealing with KANJI (ie easy ways to remember them) since I know all the hiragana and katakana (i took the first two levels in high school and retook them in college and tried to take the intermediate one but the kanji was too hard for me)

german was easier but now im at the point in duolingo where the verbs start going in weird places in the sentence

im planning to finish the italian tree on duolingo and then the french one bc these are easiest for me

also i use the hints a lot btw

also im better at translating to english than at translating from english
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
I love this post! I adore learning languages.

First language: English
Target language: Spanish, and I suppose I am at a beginner level. I have absolutely mastered 350 words. I also used to live in a predominantly Spanish-speaking area, and had to use it to get by on a daily basis. Now I aspire to become fluent.

I currently use Duolingo and am considered a level 8 in Spanish thus far -- but I only started taking this seriously about a week and a half ago. I was always on and off when it came to learning Spanish, but now I am ready to buckle down!

I'd love to learn more languages at a later point, but my number one concern at the moment is becoming a fluent Spanish speaker. :)
I love this post! I adore learning languages.

First language: English
Target language: Spanish, and I suppose I am at a beginner level. I have absolutely mastered 350 words. I also used to live in a predominantly Spanish-speaking area, and had to use it to get by on a daily basis. Now I aspire to become fluent.

I currently use Duolingo and am considered a level 8 in Spanish thus far -- but I only started taking this seriously about a week and a half ago. I was always on and off when it came to learning Spanish, but now I am ready to buckle down!

I'd love to learn more languages at a later point, but my number one concern at the moment is becoming a fluent Spanish speaker. :)
tumblr_n7samaE1iy1sl6hkto1_500.gif
Oh, this sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for putting this all together, I can't wait to meet everyone and help each other learn ^_^

Hello, everyone! I don't really have an online name, so you can call me whatever you like lol. I'm a recent media arts/film graduate, and I love music, animation, and reading (especially fantasy or nonfiction). I've recently taken an interest in gardening and history, so who knows, that could end up being a hobby soon, too!

First Language: English
Target Language and Skill Level: Spanish (beginner), ASL (beginner, but I know enough to get by in simple conversation)

I took two years of Spanish in high school, but remember absolutely nothing from it, so I've been teaching myself whenever I can with Duolingo, books, and immersion via TV and music. As for ASL, I actually have family that are fluent, so it's just a matter of putting in the time to sit down and learn!

If anyone else learning Spanish ever wants to practice conversations, feel free to message me anytime!
Oh, this sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for putting this all together, I can't wait to meet everyone and help each other learn ^_^

Hello, everyone! I don't really have an online name, so you can call me whatever you like lol. I'm a recent media arts/film graduate, and I love music, animation, and reading (especially fantasy or nonfiction). I've recently taken an interest in gardening and history, so who knows, that could end up being a hobby soon, too!

First Language: English
Target Language and Skill Level: Spanish (beginner), ASL (beginner, but I know enough to get by in simple conversation)

I took two years of Spanish in high school, but remember absolutely nothing from it, so I've been teaching myself whenever I can with Duolingo, books, and immersion via TV and music. As for ASL, I actually have family that are fluent, so it's just a matter of putting in the time to sit down and learn!

If anyone else learning Spanish ever wants to practice conversations, feel free to message me anytime!
Xe31U.gifA5z4M.gifHkchr.gifCtqXe.gif
Hi! You can call me Kura waves

My first language is Portuguese, my second one is french although i'm rusty on the talking part, and third is english. i'm pretty good at writing/reading english, just have some trouble speaking it since i don't get to practice often.

I'd like to try and learn japanese, i tried last year, started learning the kanji but then i started working and.. well i had less time for it and pretty much forgot what i learned. I installed an app for the phone called infinity and it seems good, i'll let you know if it really is in a day or two :)

I love reading - Harry Potter dork over here - and I also play games when i can. Mainly hearthstone at the moment. I'm always listening to music so there's that too.

Thanks for doing this thread! I'm going to try some of those sites and tips. If i stop beeing lazy i'll make up a schedule for myself :D
Hi! You can call me Kura waves

My first language is Portuguese, my second one is french although i'm rusty on the talking part, and third is english. i'm pretty good at writing/reading english, just have some trouble speaking it since i don't get to practice often.

I'd like to try and learn japanese, i tried last year, started learning the kanji but then i started working and.. well i had less time for it and pretty much forgot what i learned. I installed an app for the phone called infinity and it seems good, i'll let you know if it really is in a day or two :)

I love reading - Harry Potter dork over here - and I also play games when i can. Mainly hearthstone at the moment. I'm always listening to music so there's that too.

Thanks for doing this thread! I'm going to try some of those sites and tips. If i stop beeing lazy i'll make up a schedule for myself :D
@Kura

Hi there! Nice to have you! : D
And good god, do I feel you on forgetting the kanji due to not having enough time ;;
What I found to be key is, to really optimize my daily schedule and use time I'm waisting for studying instead!
Even if its only 2 minutes every now and then - at the end of the day, these minutes have added up and contributed to my kanji-reviewing :D

If you don't have loads of time in general i'd suggest taking it really slow!
Even 5 new Kanji a day - or only 3 - are still better than none! Plus they shouldn't add up too hard, at this pace! ; v ; )

I'd love to hear your opinion on said app once you've used it more! If you recommend it i'll absolutely include it in our resource post! :D

that being said guess who's just procrastinating both doing his kanji - as well as hitting new grammar - at the moment :')
@Kura

Hi there! Nice to have you! : D
And good god, do I feel you on forgetting the kanji due to not having enough time ;;
What I found to be key is, to really optimize my daily schedule and use time I'm waisting for studying instead!
Even if its only 2 minutes every now and then - at the end of the day, these minutes have added up and contributed to my kanji-reviewing :D

If you don't have loads of time in general i'd suggest taking it really slow!
Even 5 new Kanji a day - or only 3 - are still better than none! Plus they shouldn't add up too hard, at this pace! ; v ; )

I'd love to hear your opinion on said app once you've used it more! If you recommend it i'll absolutely include it in our resource post! :D

that being said guess who's just procrastinating both doing his kanji - as well as hitting new grammar - at the moment :')
fr_hatchery_button_small_by_naahva-dch05rf.png
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
[ Language Learning Hub ]
naturef1.png
Hi!

I'm a native finnish speaker. English is my second language and swedish is my third language. I'm interested in learning either icelandic or estonian. I think estonian would be easier because I can already understand a lot of it. Also, I'm not pressured to study those languages, I just think they could be useful. (I sometimes daydream about living in Iceland, haha)

I know the georgian alphabet but not the language. There's only a few simple words in my vocabulary.
Hi!

I'm a native finnish speaker. English is my second language and swedish is my third language. I'm interested in learning either icelandic or estonian. I think estonian would be easier because I can already understand a lot of it. Also, I'm not pressured to study those languages, I just think they could be useful. (I sometimes daydream about living in Iceland, haha)

I know the georgian alphabet but not the language. There's only a few simple words in my vocabulary.
This is cool! I've been hoping for one of these!

Native: English (American)
Target: Dutch

I am a native English Speaker (Sigh...) and its been a long-standing dream of mine to be bilingual... but I need a lot of help.

My target language is actually Dutch, but its very hard to find resources...

I need a lot of help with motivation and encouragement, since where I am from, I was never really exposed to other languages and cultures, so it's hard for me to mentally wrap my head around HOW you learn a language or what the mindset is. I also might be overthinking it.... I am also not "young" anymore, and I am so worried that it's going to stunt my learning. u_u

ANYWAY, I am really hoping to use this thread to just talk with people about how they learned a language and hopefully find some common ground with people who weren't naturally able to start with two languages like I was so I can learn off of them as well. I am also really hoping to make some friends. ;3;

A resource that can be used is something called Mango.com. You have to pay for it or it's free with certain library memberships!

I am a big nerd, so a lot of my interests are video games and anime but I also like a lot of cultural stuff and traveling and history!
This is cool! I've been hoping for one of these!

Native: English (American)
Target: Dutch

I am a native English Speaker (Sigh...) and its been a long-standing dream of mine to be bilingual... but I need a lot of help.

My target language is actually Dutch, but its very hard to find resources...

I need a lot of help with motivation and encouragement, since where I am from, I was never really exposed to other languages and cultures, so it's hard for me to mentally wrap my head around HOW you learn a language or what the mindset is. I also might be overthinking it.... I am also not "young" anymore, and I am so worried that it's going to stunt my learning. u_u

ANYWAY, I am really hoping to use this thread to just talk with people about how they learned a language and hopefully find some common ground with people who weren't naturally able to start with two languages like I was so I can learn off of them as well. I am also really hoping to make some friends. ;3;

A resource that can be used is something called Mango.com. You have to pay for it or it's free with certain library memberships!

I am a big nerd, so a lot of my interests are video games and anime but I also like a lot of cultural stuff and traveling and history!
C5gD3QO.gif
TPONzCn.png
I'm Chuck. My native language is English, and I'm currently learning Japanese. I take Japanese courses at my university. I've taken Japanese I and Japanese II, and will be taking Japanese III in the fall. I'm aiming to take the JLPT N4 exam within the next year.

At school, we use the Genki textbooks to supplement our learning, which I highly recommend to anyone here who's looking for some useful resources. I'm about halfway through Genki II, and it has helped me obtain some semblance of proficiency in this language far faster than I had ever imagined I would!

I'm trying to find some people with whom I can practice general conversational skills in Japanese. At school, our Japanese classes are 5 hours per week and require about 5-8 additional weekly hours of study and homework. (it's brutal, but it sure gets the job done!) I'm afraid that this summer, I've kind of let my practice routine slip now that I'm not in classes, and I really need to get back on top of it. x_x

At school, I'm a math major with a comp sci minor. I'm an employee at my local observatory, and I'm also a piano teacher! I'm interested in math, game development/video games (especially JRPGs), language learning, coding, astronomy, music composition, d&d, and anime! Nice to meet you all. :)
I'm Chuck. My native language is English, and I'm currently learning Japanese. I take Japanese courses at my university. I've taken Japanese I and Japanese II, and will be taking Japanese III in the fall. I'm aiming to take the JLPT N4 exam within the next year.

At school, we use the Genki textbooks to supplement our learning, which I highly recommend to anyone here who's looking for some useful resources. I'm about halfway through Genki II, and it has helped me obtain some semblance of proficiency in this language far faster than I had ever imagined I would!

I'm trying to find some people with whom I can practice general conversational skills in Japanese. At school, our Japanese classes are 5 hours per week and require about 5-8 additional weekly hours of study and homework. (it's brutal, but it sure gets the job done!) I'm afraid that this summer, I've kind of let my practice routine slip now that I'm not in classes, and I really need to get back on top of it. x_x

At school, I'm a math major with a comp sci minor. I'm an employee at my local observatory, and I'm also a piano teacher! I'm interested in math, game development/video games (especially JRPGs), language learning, coding, astronomy, music composition, d&d, and anime! Nice to meet you all. :)
XvmXrsO.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36