Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | How To: Dragon Auctions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[columns][FONT=Tahoma][b]I[/b]. Index [b]II[/b]. What are Forum Auctions? [b]III[/b]. What kind of dragons are commonly auctioned? [b]IV[/b]. How should I set my auction up? [b]V[/b]. [But what do those phrases mean? [b]VI[/b]. Common Etiquette for Auctioneers and Bidders [b]VII[/b]. How do I get the word about my auction out? [b]VIII[/b]. Special Thanks [b]IX[/b]. Reserved [b]X[/b]. Reserved[/font] [nextcol][img]http://i4.minus.com/idnMs1gktrztA.png[/img] As dictated by Sir Humphrey Fitzwilliam the Third.[/columns]
I. Index
II. What are Forum Auctions?
III. What kind of dragons are commonly auctioned?
IV. How should I set my auction up?
V. [But what do those phrases mean?
VI. Common Etiquette for Auctioneers and Bidders
VII. How do I get the word about my auction out?
VIII. Special Thanks
IX. Reserved
X. Reserved
idnMs1gktrztA.png
As dictated by Sir Humphrey Fitzwilliam the Third.
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
II. What are Auctions?

Auctions are a way to sell your dragon and give multiple users a chance at the dragon. It’s a common way to sell a dragon that multiple people have expressed interest in, as it gives everyone a fair chance to put their offers up. It also ensures you get the best price for your dragon.

Auctions belong in the Dragons For Sale forum.
II. What are Auctions?

Auctions are a way to sell your dragon and give multiple users a chance at the dragon. It’s a common way to sell a dragon that multiple people have expressed interest in, as it gives everyone a fair chance to put their offers up. It also ensures you get the best price for your dragon.

Auctions belong in the Dragons For Sale forum.
X1e9cjr.gif

Most often, auctioned dragons have an ID of six digits or less, are a First Generation dragon, and/or a dragon with a special ID number (such as 333, 123456, et cetera). Dragons that are two years old or more often have low ID numbers, which some people are willing to pay lots of money for. First Generation dragons are dragons hatched from “Unhatched X-Element Eggs,” found through scavenging in gathering and various venues of the Coliseum.* First Generation dragons are attractive to potential buyers because they have no parents, so they are unrelated to any dragon on the site as long as they are unbred. This means you don’t run in to any lineage issues when choosing their breeding partner. Dragons with a Special ID number appeal to people for different reasons; for some it is a status symbol, for others, the number has a special meaning to them.

A First Generation dragon can also come from an “Unhatched Nocturne Egg” obtained during December’s Night of the Nocturne event. These dragons will always be this same rarer breed and are generally more desirable since their eggs can only be found once a year.

Most often, auctioned dragons have an ID of six digits or less, are a First Generation dragon, and/or a dragon with a special ID number (such as 333, 123456, et cetera). Dragons that are two years old or more often have low ID numbers, which some people are willing to pay lots of money for. First Generation dragons are dragons hatched from “Unhatched X-Element Eggs,” found through scavenging in gathering and various venues of the Coliseum.* First Generation dragons are attractive to potential buyers because they have no parents, so they are unrelated to any dragon on the site as long as they are unbred. This means you don’t run in to any lineage issues when choosing their breeding partner. Dragons with a Special ID number appeal to people for different reasons; for some it is a status symbol, for others, the number has a special meaning to them.

A First Generation dragon can also come from an “Unhatched Nocturne Egg” obtained during December’s Night of the Nocturne event. These dragons will always be this same rarer breed and are generally more desirable since their eggs can only be found once a year.
X1e9cjr.gif
[FONT=Tahoma][b]IV. How should I set my auction up?[/b] There is no ‘one way’ to set up an auction, but I’ll provide a template if you find yourself struggling to remember what all to include in your auction. For Old Dragon Auctions:[/font] [code] [center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Dragon’s Hatchday Dragon's Generation: (1st Gen, 2nd Gen) [Generation is always determined by the highest generation parent. If you have an offspring of a 1st Gen and a 9th Gen, your dragon is a 10th Gen] Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene | Secondary Gene | Tertiary Gene Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center] [/code] [FONT=Tahoma]For First Generation Dragon Auctions:[/font] [code] [center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene (if applicable) | Secondary Gene (if applicable) | Tertiary Gene (if applicable) Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) [img]One Preview.png[/img] [img]Two Preview.png[/img] [img]Three Preview.png[/img] Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center] [/code] [FONT=Tahoma]For Special ID# Dragon Auctions:[/font] [code] [center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene | Secondary Gene | Tertiary Gene Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center] [/code] [FONT=Tahoma]EXAMPLE:[/font] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8909406] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/89095/8909406_350.png[/img] [/url] Female | Plague | 8909406 Chocolate | Banana | Soil Bar | Facet | Underbelly Starting Bid: 500k Treasure/1000 Gems Current Bid: Bidder#3 - 1mil Treasure Minimum Bid Increase: 25kT/50G Auto-Buy: 5 million Treasure/10k Gems End date: June 22nd 22:00 FR time Snipe Guard: 12 Hours [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=2&secg=6&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=8&spec=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=7&secg=1&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=7&spec=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=1&secg=8&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=1&spec=prev.png[/img] Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio is 1:500 Retired Festival Apparel/Familiars will be considered as bids/partial bids. No payment plans. [/center]
IV. How should I set my auction up?

There is no ‘one way’ to set up an auction, but I’ll provide a template if you find yourself struggling to remember what all to include in your auction.

For Old Dragon Auctions:
Code:
[center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Dragon’s Hatchday Dragon's Generation: (1st Gen, 2nd Gen) [Generation is always determined by the highest generation parent. If you have an offspring of a 1st Gen and a 9th Gen, your dragon is a 10th Gen] Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene | Secondary Gene | Tertiary Gene Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center]

For First Generation Dragon Auctions:
Code:
[center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene (if applicable) | Secondary Gene (if applicable) | Tertiary Gene (if applicable) Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) [img]One Preview.png[/img] [img]Two Preview.png[/img] [img]Three Preview.png[/img] Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center]

For Special ID# Dragon Auctions:
Code:
[center](URL AND IMAGE OF DRAGON - Use the BB code generator on its page) Sex | Element | Dragon ID# Primary Color | Secondary Color | Tertiary Color Primary Gene | Secondary Gene | Tertiary Gene Starting Bid: Current Bid: Minimum Bid Increase: (Optional) Auto-Buy: End date: Snipe Guard: (Optional) Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio (if applicable) [/center]

EXAMPLE:

8909406_350.png

Female | Plague | 8909406
Chocolate | Banana | Soil
Bar | Facet | Underbelly

Starting Bid: 500k Treasure/1000 Gems
Current Bid: Bidder#3 - 1mil Treasure
Minimum Bid Increase: 25kT/50G
Auto-Buy: 5 million Treasure/10k Gems
End date: June 22nd 22:00 FR time
Snipe Guard: 12 Hours

dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=2&secg=6&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=8&spec=prev.png
dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=7&secg=1&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=7&spec=prev.png
dragonpic2.php?body=56&wing=43&style=11&gender=1&ages=1&prig=1&secg=8&tert=54&elem=2&tertgene=1&spec=prev.png

Preferred Gem:Treasure Ratio is 1:500
Retired Festival Apparel/Familiars will be considered as bids/partial bids.
No payment plans.
X1e9cjr.gif
V. But what do those phrases mean?

For many people, auctions are all about efficiency, so you will see some terms shortened.

SB is Starting Bid, which is the very lowest amount you’d accept for the dragon in question, and when someone says they will take the Starting Bid, or that they will place the Starting Bid, they are beginning the auction.

CB is Current Bid, the current highest bid and bidder. It’s common to keep track of the current highest bid on the front page so that possible Bidders can easily see who and what price they are trying to outbid.

AB is Auto-Buy, the price that will end the auction immediately with no further bids to be placed. This is the highest price you think you would receive for your dragon. This is not a price that should be changed after the auction has already begun, so be sure it isn’t a price that will leave you disappointed if someone chooses to match it.

A Snipe Guard is an optional feature to add to your auction. A snipe guard is a set amount of time by which an auction may extend when it nears its end date and time. This prevents someone from popping in with a bid 30 seconds to the end of the auction with a bid, which might make the previous bidder upset. Basically, a two hour snipe guard would extend the auction’s end time by another two hours if a bid was placed within two hours before its announced end time. Think of it as an auctioneer saying “going, going, gone.” This ensures that everyone who wants to bid gets a fair chance to do so.

A minimum bid increase is another optional feature, it is the smallest increase in the bid that you find acceptable, it can be any amount you are comfortable with.
V. But what do those phrases mean?

For many people, auctions are all about efficiency, so you will see some terms shortened.

SB is Starting Bid, which is the very lowest amount you’d accept for the dragon in question, and when someone says they will take the Starting Bid, or that they will place the Starting Bid, they are beginning the auction.

CB is Current Bid, the current highest bid and bidder. It’s common to keep track of the current highest bid on the front page so that possible Bidders can easily see who and what price they are trying to outbid.

AB is Auto-Buy, the price that will end the auction immediately with no further bids to be placed. This is the highest price you think you would receive for your dragon. This is not a price that should be changed after the auction has already begun, so be sure it isn’t a price that will leave you disappointed if someone chooses to match it.

A Snipe Guard is an optional feature to add to your auction. A snipe guard is a set amount of time by which an auction may extend when it nears its end date and time. This prevents someone from popping in with a bid 30 seconds to the end of the auction with a bid, which might make the previous bidder upset. Basically, a two hour snipe guard would extend the auction’s end time by another two hours if a bid was placed within two hours before its announced end time. Think of it as an auctioneer saying “going, going, gone.” This ensures that everyone who wants to bid gets a fair chance to do so.

A minimum bid increase is another optional feature, it is the smallest increase in the bid that you find acceptable, it can be any amount you are comfortable with.
X1e9cjr.gif
[FONT=Tahoma][b]VI. Common Etiquette for Auctioneers and Bidders[/b] Include whether or not you will accept items as bids or partial bids. An important thing to consider is which items you will and will not accept, and how you will value them. Will you accept food points, Swipp components, rare or retired items, familiars, or apparel? If you do accept these things, at what value? Will you only allow items to make up a certain portion of your bid? Consider these points before you make your auction so you will be prepared if a Bidder approaches you about them. If the auction ends and only the starting bid has been placed, the dragon is sold for that price. Be sure to put the the Starting Bid at a price you would be willing to exchange the dragon for, backing out of an auction that someone has bid on because you set the Starting Bid lower than what you would accept is a good way to keep potential business away in the future. There is no set amount of time you should set until the end date of your auction, but it is generally unfair to your current bidders to extend the end date of an auction aside from an existing Snipe Guard. An Auto-Buy is the be-all end-all price of the auction. Once someone has offered to match the Auto-Buy, the auction is over, unless they are unable to complete the transaction. Do not use the ping list multiple times for the same auction, even if your auction has not received any bidders. Bidders should confirm with the Auctioneer whether or not payment plans or holds are an option before bidding something with those things in mind. Bidders are generally asked to ping the person running the auction, as well as the person they are outbidding.[/font] [img]http://i.minus.com/ieOtW7443oadT.png[/img]
VI. Common Etiquette for Auctioneers and Bidders

Include whether or not you will accept items as bids or partial bids. An important thing to consider is which items you will and will not accept, and how you will value them. Will you accept food points, Swipp components, rare or retired items, familiars, or apparel? If you do accept these things, at what value? Will you only allow items to make up a certain portion of your bid? Consider these points before you make your auction so you will be prepared if a Bidder approaches you about them.

If the auction ends and only the starting bid has been placed, the dragon is sold for that price. Be sure to put the the Starting Bid at a price you would be willing to exchange the dragon for, backing out of an auction that someone has bid on because you set the Starting Bid lower than what you would accept is a good way to keep potential business away in the future.

There is no set amount of time you should set until the end date of your auction, but it is generally unfair to your current bidders to extend the end date of an auction aside from an existing Snipe Guard.

An Auto-Buy is the be-all end-all price of the auction. Once someone has offered to match the Auto-Buy, the auction is over, unless they are unable to complete the transaction.

Do not use the ping list multiple times for the same auction, even if your auction has not received any bidders.

Bidders should confirm with the Auctioneer whether or not payment plans or holds are an option before bidding something with those things in mind.

Bidders are generally asked to ping the person running the auction, as well as the person they are outbidding.

ieOtW7443oadT.png
X1e9cjr.gif

There are ping lists dedicated to grouping certain types of collectors. This is not true for Special ID# Collectors, but sometimes these users will make threads in advance, and you might have the opportunity of finding them to ping before the Special ID# Dragon is hatched.

Be absolutely sure you are using the correct ping list for the correct Auction. For example, do not use the Old Dragon Collectors Ping List to advertise your 4 month old First Generation dragon.

Ping lists are also, for the most part, for the actual sale or auction of a dragon, not for interest checks.

Old Dragon Collectors Ping List: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/1162110/1
First Gen Dragon Collectors Ping List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KvbTEQYMXYyZVZCOnzAARDVVa7c1TMFGxDEbXJ0uo1g/edit#gid=532639611

Special ID Collectors Ping List:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wWlnSMqyx1uPD2Q1kvvWaLPCGZUbSliE20rYlLHKQs/edit
Dragons with Art Ping List: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1632346/1

There are ping lists dedicated to grouping certain types of collectors. This is not true for Special ID# Collectors, but sometimes these users will make threads in advance, and you might have the opportunity of finding them to ping before the Special ID# Dragon is hatched.

Be absolutely sure you are using the correct ping list for the correct Auction. For example, do not use the Old Dragon Collectors Ping List to advertise your 4 month old First Generation dragon.

Ping lists are also, for the most part, for the actual sale or auction of a dragon, not for interest checks.

Old Dragon Collectors Ping List: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/1162110/1
First Gen Dragon Collectors Ping List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KvbTEQYMXYyZVZCOnzAARDVVa7c1TMFGxDEbXJ0uo1g/edit#gid=532639611

Special ID Collectors Ping List:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wWlnSMqyx1uPD2Q1kvvWaLPCGZUbSliE20rYlLHKQs/edit
Dragons with Art Ping List: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1632346/1
X1e9cjr.gif
[FONT=Tahoma][b]VIII. Special Thanks[/b] [columns]A big round of applause for all of that to our friend, Sir Humphrey Fitzwilliam the Third. [img]http://i4.minus.com/idnMs1gktrztA.png[/img] [nextcol]Huge thanks to @Valkaryss for proof reading and helping me word everything nicely. Another big thank you to the friends who encouraged me to post this. May I never have to post an auction for you again![/font]
VIII. Special Thanks
A big round of applause for all of that to our friend, Sir Humphrey Fitzwilliam the Third.
idnMs1gktrztA.png
Huge thanks to @Valkaryss for proof reading and helping me word everything nicely.

Another big thank you to the friends who encouraged me to post this. May I never have to post an auction for you again!
X1e9cjr.gif
Reserved Nine
Reserved Nine
X1e9cjr.gif
Reserved Ten
Reserved Ten
X1e9cjr.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8