Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/74#post_39116021]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 145: Empress of Pride[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Banella advanced through the mansion like a woman on a mission. It was time to put an end to this silly war for once and for all, and put her power to some use instead of for selfish gain. For the first time in her life, she actually truly felt like she was doing something right. She did her best to avoid the fighting in the corridors. She needed to reach Quartz at soon as possible. She would put a stop to this no matter the cost. Her claws were already dirty, what was one more act these stupid dragons were too noble to consider. Sure, she had never actually killed another dragon before, but how hard could it be? "Ah, Banella, what hole did you finally crawl out of?" A hiss sounded behind her. Banella turned to see some plucky golden mirror creeping down the corridor towards her. His tail was swishing, and he was clearly prepared for a fight. She rolled her eyes, this is the last thing she needed. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49730873] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497309/49730873_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Let me go, you fool, you do not know what you are doing!" Banella hissed back, "I'm trying to help this stupid tower! Don't let me regret my decision!" "I don't believe you!" The mirror exclaimed. Who was this kid? And who did he think he was? "You don't have to, you can't stop me," Banella shot back, and she turned and continued on her path. Banella heard the clatter of claws against the marble floor behind her, a growl rising in the mirror's throat, but Banella easily dodged out of the way of his inexperienced attack. It was pitiful really. But, she reminded herself, it was these pitiful dragons she was risking herself to save. Oh, what had she become? Banella managed to round the corner and slip into the entrance to Quartz's chambers before the mirror got to his feet again. Her relief, however, only lasted a second. She smelled Nova before she saw her friend, lounging on some silk cushions and sipping a cup of expensive jasmine tea. She smelled of roses, and her perfume filled the room. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44447781] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/444478/44447781_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "So, you finally decided to show your face?" Nova said, not even bothering to look up from the ring she was admiring on her finger. "You managed to escape the fighting," Banella said, impressed at her friend for being so resourceful, "How'd you do it?" "Oh, it was easy!" Nova giggled, "Quartz and I are engaged! The wedding is set for after we overthrow those petty rebels." "What?" Banella felt her stomach drop. Nova had been the only true friend she had ever had, and her betrayal stung like a knife to the gut. "Oh, don't act surprised. I've been dropping hints for months, trying to get you to steal the throne yourself, make yourself the sole powerhouse of Windkeep Tower," Nova purred as she poured herself a fresh cup of tea, added a cube of sugar to her teacup and stirred it with a talon. "But after a few months it became clear you lacked the ambition. You are too weak to desire such power, so I realized if I wanted a place in this new empire, I had to switch sides." "What about your husband?" Banella asked, trying to subdue the rage boiling inside her like The Great Furnace. "I thought you loved him." The imperial cracked a smile. "Yes, I do love him, the precious fool. But there is more to life than love. I want more from life than he can give me, he is far to soft. Did you know, he donated half of his savings to the resistance, just because Fenn and Elric took pity on him when he was a poor lost child looking for a home?" Nova laughed mockingly, "Fenn and Elric are weak, that is why they are in the ice. If Ivorn isn't careful, he'll go much the same way. I didn't want to be brought down by him, not when I could make myself one of the most powerful dragons in Sornieth by partnering myself with just the right dragon. Quartz and I make a much better pair." "You're evil," Banella hissed, stepping away and shaking her head. "Oh, don't act like you're any better than me," Nova smiled, "You've shared far too much with me to pull off such a lie. Goodness, you must have shared your whole life story with me between all our little tea parties! It's a shame really, all that rage and desire, yet it's gotten you nowhere." A growl rose in Banella's throat as she prepared to attack. "Oh, no dear. Don't attack me, I'm not looking for a fight," Nova laughed. "I'm not trying to stop you from seeing Quartz. I'm actually quite interested to see how this plays out. He's going to get quite the shock seeing you, let me tell you." "What do you mean?" Banella snapped. "Well, after paying Vaughan so generously, I thought you would be gone much longer," Nova grimaced, "It looks like we can't always get what you wish for." Banella hesitated. She knew Nova wasn't worth her anger, this pain could be dealt with later, but she didn't want to waste any more time. But it was so tempting to rip Nova limb from limb. She didn't care how much bigger the imperial was, she felt she could take her. But there were more important things now. Nova could be dealt with later. "Go on ahead. Like I said, I won't stop you!" Nova reassured, "Although I should probably warn you, his wife's already in there." "I am his wife!" Banella roared. She didn't want to claim that title anymore, but it was her title, and she wasn't going to let anyone take it from her. Besides, she was confused. If she and Nova were out here, what other wife did he have? "I mean his original," Nova's eyes flashed knowingly. "Oh come on, I may have not been born yet when the power couple of Windkeep Tower fell apart, but even I know of their legendary partnership." Banella stared blankly at Nova. What was she missing? "Of course, you were probably too self-absorbed to notice," Nova laughed. "You'll see for yourself soon enough." Nova was clearly just trying to wind Banella up. She shook her head to clear it, and without another word to Nova, she burst through the double doors and into the inner sanctum of Quartz's chambers. Nova was right, someone else was there. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41349508] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=41349508&skin=24908&apparel=18774,23723,21853&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/360.png[/img][/center] A brown wildclaw, flanked by a manticore, was staring down Quartz. Banella knew she must have met this dragon at one point or another, but she could scarcely remember who she was. The two opposing dragons were so engrossed with staring each other down that neither noticed Banella enter. "You can't do it, if you kill me you're just killing yourself too," The wildclaw taunted. That was when Banella noticed what Quartz was holding. It was some sort of machine, similar in size and structure to a camera. The barrel of the machine was pointed at the wildclaw's chest, and Quartz seemed poised to shoot. Banella very much felt like she had wandered in on something she very much should not be intruding upon, but she was frozen to the spot. It was then that she placed the wildclaw and everything clicked into place. This was the dragon who's heart was bound to Quartz's. His match and equal in every way, the only dragon who was truly his match. This was Querida, and as she stared wide-eyed at the couple, she noticed the gleaming blade Querida had poised over her own heart. They were at a stalemate. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/75#post_39143068]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center] @CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- I decided I should have at least one skin/accent chapter title before Greenskeeper Gathering was finished, just to fit with tradition! Fun fact: Nova's mate, Ivorn, is one of the very first dragons I bought. I got him my first day on Flight Rising, and is one of the few of my original dragons I still have. He spent a while with my sister, after a lair purge, but eventually he found his way back to me and become a strong part of Windkeep Tower for a long time now. Of course his loyalty would be to Fenn and Elric, he's been with them since the beginning of their humble little wind clan. Also I have had a long day and am downright exhausted and I can't believe I actually got this chapter written!

Chapter 145: Empress of Pride

33201295_350.png

Banella advanced through the mansion like a woman on a mission. It was time to put an end to this silly war for once and for all, and put her power to some use instead of for selfish gain. For the first time in her life, she actually truly felt like she was doing something right.

She did her best to avoid the fighting in the corridors. She needed to reach Quartz at soon as possible. She would put a stop to this no matter the cost. Her claws were already dirty, what was one more act these stupid dragons were too noble to consider. Sure, she had never actually killed another dragon before, but how hard could it be?

"Ah, Banella, what hole did you finally crawl out of?" A hiss sounded behind her. Banella turned to see some plucky golden mirror creeping down the corridor towards her. His tail was swishing, and he was clearly prepared for a fight. She rolled her eyes, this is the last thing she needed.

"Let me go, you fool, you do not know what you are doing!" Banella hissed back, "I'm trying to help this stupid tower! Don't let me regret my decision!"

"I don't believe you!" The mirror exclaimed. Who was this kid? And who did he think he was?

"You don't have to, you can't stop me," Banella shot back, and she turned and continued on her path.

Banella heard the clatter of claws against the marble floor behind her, a growl rising in the mirror's throat, but Banella easily dodged out of the way of his inexperienced attack. It was pitiful really. But, she reminded herself, it was these pitiful dragons she was risking herself to save. Oh, what had she become?

Banella managed to round the corner and slip into the entrance to Quartz's chambers before the mirror got to his feet again. Her relief, however, only lasted a second. She smelled Nova before she saw her friend, lounging on some silk cushions and sipping a cup of expensive jasmine tea. She smelled of roses, and her perfume filled the room.

"So, you finally decided to show your face?" Nova said, not even bothering to look up from the ring she was admiring on her finger.

"You managed to escape the fighting," Banella said, impressed at her friend for being so resourceful, "How'd you do it?"

"Oh, it was easy!" Nova giggled, "Quartz and I are engaged! The wedding is set for after we overthrow those petty rebels."

"What?" Banella felt her stomach drop. Nova had been the only true friend she had ever had, and her betrayal stung like a knife to the gut.

"Oh, don't act surprised. I've been dropping hints for months, trying to get you to steal the throne yourself, make yourself the sole powerhouse of Windkeep Tower," Nova purred as she poured herself a fresh cup of tea, added a cube of sugar to her teacup and stirred it with a talon. "But after a few months it became clear you lacked the ambition. You are too weak to desire such power, so I realized if I wanted a place in this new empire, I had to switch sides."

"What about your husband?" Banella asked, trying to subdue the rage boiling inside her like The Great Furnace. "I thought you loved him."

The imperial cracked a smile. "Yes, I do love him, the precious fool. But there is more to life than love. I want more from life than he can give me, he is far to soft. Did you know, he donated half of his savings to the resistance, just because Fenn and Elric took pity on him when he was a poor lost child looking for a home?" Nova laughed mockingly, "Fenn and Elric are weak, that is why they are in the ice. If Ivorn isn't careful, he'll go much the same way. I didn't want to be brought down by him, not when I could make myself one of the most powerful dragons in Sornieth by partnering myself with just the right dragon. Quartz and I make a much better pair."

"You're evil," Banella hissed, stepping away and shaking her head.

"Oh, don't act like you're any better than me," Nova smiled, "You've shared far too much with me to pull off such a lie. Goodness, you must have shared your whole life story with me between all our little tea parties! It's a shame really, all that rage and desire, yet it's gotten you nowhere."

A growl rose in Banella's throat as she prepared to attack.

"Oh, no dear. Don't attack me, I'm not looking for a fight," Nova laughed. "I'm not trying to stop you from seeing Quartz. I'm actually quite interested to see how this plays out. He's going to get quite the shock seeing you, let me tell you."

"What do you mean?" Banella snapped.

"Well, after paying Vaughan so generously, I thought you would be gone much longer," Nova grimaced, "It looks like we can't always get what you wish for."

Banella hesitated. She knew Nova wasn't worth her anger, this pain could be dealt with later, but she didn't want to waste any more time. But it was so tempting to rip Nova limb from limb. She didn't care how much bigger the imperial was, she felt she could take her. But there were more important things now. Nova could be dealt with later.

"Go on ahead. Like I said, I won't stop you!" Nova reassured, "Although I should probably warn you, his wife's already in there."

"I am his wife!" Banella roared. She didn't want to claim that title anymore, but it was her title, and she wasn't going to let anyone take it from her. Besides, she was confused. If she and Nova were out here, what other wife did he have?

"I mean his original," Nova's eyes flashed knowingly. "Oh come on, I may have not been born yet when the power couple of Windkeep Tower fell apart, but even I know of their legendary partnership."

Banella stared blankly at Nova. What was she missing?

"Of course, you were probably too self-absorbed to notice," Nova laughed. "You'll see for yourself soon enough."

Nova was clearly just trying to wind Banella up. She shook her head to clear it, and without another word to Nova, she burst through the double doors and into the inner sanctum of Quartz's chambers. Nova was right, someone else was there.

A brown wildclaw, flanked by a manticore, was staring down Quartz. Banella knew she must have met this dragon at one point or another, but she could scarcely remember who she was. The two opposing dragons were so engrossed with staring each other down that neither noticed Banella enter.

"You can't do it, if you kill me you're just killing yourself too," The wildclaw taunted. That was when Banella noticed what Quartz was holding. It was some sort of machine, similar in size and structure to a camera. The barrel of the machine was pointed at the wildclaw's chest, and Quartz seemed poised to shoot. Banella very much felt like she had wandered in on something she very much should not be intruding upon, but she was frozen to the spot.

It was then that she placed the wildclaw and everything clicked into place. This was the dragon who's heart was bound to Quartz's. His match and equal in every way, the only dragon who was truly his match. This was Querida, and as she stared wide-eyed at the couple, she noticed the gleaming blade Querida had poised over her own heart.

They were at a stalemate.

I decided I should have at least one skin/accent chapter title before Greenskeeper Gathering was finished, just to fit with tradition!

Fun fact: Nova's mate, Ivorn, is one of the very first dragons I bought. I got him my first day on Flight Rising, and is one of the few of my original dragons I still have. He spent a while with my sister, after a lair purge, but eventually he found his way back to me and become a strong part of Windkeep Tower for a long time now. Of course his loyalty would be to Fenn and Elric, he's been with them since the beginning of their humble little wind clan.

Also I have had a long day and am downright exhausted and I can't believe I actually got this chapter written!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall That chapter was an excellently suspenseful installment! Banella being chased by a murderous Luster, only to be confronted by Nova, [i]only[/i] to drop into the middle of Quartz' and Querida's stalemate. Looks like karma is just hurling everything back at Banella all at once. [emoji=tundra scared size=1] It was also sweet to get a behind-the-scenes peek at Ivorn. I've also got a whole bunch of dragons who've been with me since I was new, so these kinds of stories always give me a warm fuzzy feeling. [emoji=new friend size=1] Have a good rest/sleep!
@Petall That chapter was an excellently suspenseful installment! Banella being chased by a murderous Luster, only to be confronted by Nova, only to drop into the middle of Quartz' and Querida's stalemate. Looks like karma is just hurling everything back at Banella all at once.

It was also sweet to get a behind-the-scenes peek at Ivorn. I've also got a whole bunch of dragons who've been with me since I was new, so these kinds of stories always give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Have a good rest/sleep!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It was suspenseful to write too, especially when I got the dialogue flowing! Banella certainly doesn't catch a break this chapter!

I love those sorts of stories too! I'm just sorry I haven't had more of an opportunity to feature Ivorn, but I have too many dragons to give everyone a big role!

Thank you!
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It was suspenseful to write too, especially when I got the dialogue flowing! Banella certainly doesn't catch a break this chapter!

I love those sorts of stories too! I'm just sorry I haven't had more of an opportunity to feature Ivorn, but I have too many dragons to give everyone a big role!

Thank you!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
oh

oh no.
oh

oh no.
please buy my dragons
r7i0TKR.png
alphabet legacy
challenge
please just send private auctions.
it's a CR with half the hassle,
and with PAs we both get our stuff instantly.
@FallenEclipse

Oh yes! *evil author laugh*
@FallenEclipse

Oh yes! *evil author laugh*
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/75#post_39136224]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 146: Darling, Don't Pull the Trigger[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Plagueheart had never flown so fast in her entire life. Even Pyrite, who usually enjoyed a wild ride, was clinging for dear life onto the mast as they soared over the Sea of a Thousand currents, approaching Windkeep Tower. It turned out they had been so disoriented and turned around in the Tangled Wood that they were only a day's journey from their ship. They had not slept since they set out. Something told Plagueheart she needed to be back as soon as physically possible, so she had set the ship at top speed across the Sea of a Thousand Currents. They had also been blessed with a good wind, perhaps the Windsinger was on their side. The sun was setting by the time they reached Windkeep Tower, and the tower itself seemed oddly deserted. Plagueheart barely slowed as she raced over the top of the tower. The pink bubble around the mansion confirmed her suspicions. The fight had started, and she and Pyrite were missing out. She cursed. "Are we maybe going to slow down a bit?" Pyrite asked as Plagueheart set course towards the mansion. "Do you see how dim and transparent Quartz's shields are? He must not be keeping them up very well. Perhaps we can get through if we use enough force," Plagueheart reasoned. "You're crazy," Pyrite said, eyes wide, "You realize you might kill the both of us." "Pyrite, you know our daughter as well as I do, if she is anywhere, she is where Quartz is, and we can't let him hurt her anymore than he already has!" Plagueheart spat, "Now, are you with me or not." "I'm with you," Pyrite agreed, gulping. The fear in his blue eyes hardened to determination, "No matter the risk." "Here we go!" Plagueheart stuck out her tongue as the ship dipped down and rocketed towards the barrier. She closed her eyes as they approached, let go of the steering wheel, and ducked for cover. The was the noise of something very large shattering, and Plagueheart felt something graze her cheek. She opened her eyes just in time to see the ship break through the wall of the mansion and into a large, ornate room. An imperial leaped from where she had been lounging, dropping her teacup in surprise. It shattered to the floor. Plagueheart hopped off the ship, followed by Pyrite. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44447781] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/444478/44447781_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You're good at crashing ships," Her mate commented, "Isn't that how me met?" "Shut it," Plagueheart snapped. They were on a mission. "You! Over there!" She growled at the imperial, who was still gaining her composure. "Which was to Quartz?" "And why should I tell you?" The imperial narrowed her eyes, her lips pursed. "I'll ask you again," Plagueheart said, drawing an arrow from her quiver and aiming it down the imperial's nose, "Where. Is. Quartz." "Oh yes, right through there," The imperial said nervously, gesturing to a pair of grand double doors. "Thank you, now that wasn't hard, was it?" Plagueheart flashed a smile and immediately burst through the door to see Querida and Quartz up in arms. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41349508] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=41349508&skin=24908&apparel=18774,23723,21853&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] Quartz had some sort of weapon pointed at Querida, while Querida had a knife poised over her chest. Near the door, jaw hanging open, was Banella, watching the scene with an expression of horror on her face. Plagueheart slowed, trying to read the situation. She desperately wanted to stab Quartz immediately, but it appeared her daughter was at risk. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You think you can kill me that easily?" Quartz taunted, "You think I'm not strong enough to withstand that sort of blow?" "Don't kid yourself, the binding of the hearts is unbreakable and you know it full well. I know you've tried, as I have, to unbind us. You have more resources at your disposal, you must have hired the finest mages in all of Sornieth. Our fates our tied together, whether you like it or not. Do you really want to risk your life that way?" Querida growled, teeth gritted. Plagueheart could see the tension in her daughter's body and it filled her with anger. She moved to attack Quartz. "Wait," Banella whispered, putting a tail in front of Plagueheart to stop her, "Didn't you hear her? Do anything to him, and you hurt her." "Who's side are you even on?" Pyrite hissed at Banella. "Whatever side Quartz isn't," Banella growled, flashing a glare at the coatl. "You really think it's that easy to stop me?" Quartz laughed. "Oh, don't try to lie," Querida growled, "I can feel your heartbeat, remember? You're as scared as I am, if not more." "Well, if you know how scared I am, you know how desperate I'm getting," Quartz growled back. "You see this here? This is a bomb. It is packed full of elemental magic squeezed tighter than any elemental magic every should. It's just waiting for the chance to explode. If you don't stand down, I'll blow your whole precious clan to the ground, and keep you and I safe in one of my bubbles until the storm passes. We'll rise from the ashes, sell the elementally charged fallout to make up our losses, and start this empire afresh." "You put that much faith in your bubble charms?" Querida snorted. "I know what I am doing," Quartz warned. "And what's keeping me from not killing you in retaliation for killing my family and destroying me home?" Querida asked. "You can't harm me," Quartz reminded her. "Not directly, no, but out lives are tied together. I only need to end one of ours," Querida reminded him. "You're too noble to do anything like that," Quartz scoffed. "Am I? Try me," Querida's eyes flashed dangerously, "To protect my clan, I'd do anything." Silence fell between the two of them, tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. Neither seemed willing to break the others gaze. Plagueheart longed to race in the and break them apart, but then Quartz would set off the bomb. Besides, Querida wouldn't thank her for getting involved. This was her battle to fight. "So, what'll it be? Do you surrender?" Querida challenged. "Surrender to you? Never!" Quartz hissed, and he clicked a button on top of the weapon. The vials of elemental energy opened, sending the magic through the veins of the machine, mixing and growing more powerful and volatile by the second. The bomb began to shake violently, and steam was rising from inside. Cracks were beginning to appear in the glass. It wouldn't hold for long. It needed a release before it could explode. Plagueheart rushed forward to pull her daughter into her arms, trying to protect her from the inevitable blast, but it was too late. Quartz got to her first. He pulled her in tight, and closed his eyes, prepared to cast his shield charm. Querida was too fast for him. She slipped out of his short grasp. Plagueheart held out her arms, but her daughter didn't run to her. Instead, she ran to the bomb. The wildclaw picked it up and began to unscrew the cap the was blocking the barrel of the weapon. As she worked on it, she pointed the nozzle at herself, clearly wanted to prevent the blast from unintentionally hitting any other dragon. Tess moved from her position watching from the edge of the room to take her place by Querida's side. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/360.png[/img][/center] "This is for Windkeep Tower! For all the dragons whose lives you have destroyed! This is for our children, and for the children yet to come, who will grow up in the peace that will follow this wretched war!" Querida shouted over the clank of the machine. The moment the cap came off, a bright blast of mixed elemental energy shot out of the machine, hitting Querida straight in the chest. Plagueheart screamed, and images of Pennar filled her mind. This was all too familiar. This couldn't be happening again. She rushed forward, hardly noticing the way Banella was wrapping her arms around her until she couldn't move. "There's nothing you can do. If you touch her now, you'll just get caught in the bast too!" Banella hissed. "I! Don't! Care!" Plagueheart hissed, "If she dies, I have nothing left to live for!" "You idiot! There is always something left to live for! Don't taint her sacrifice!" Banella growled, holding firm. Eventually, the light faded, and Querida lay still on the ground. Quartz was still standing, eyes wide in shock. Then he coughed, clutched his chest, and collapsed as well. Banella let go, and Plagueheart and Pyrite rushed over to their daughter. "No! No! No!" Plagueheart called, tears streaming down her face. She clutched her daughter, cradling what she could hold in her arms. Pyrite was sobbing, draped over her unconscious form. "He's dead," Banella confirmed with a sigh. The two wildclaws had barely noticed her make her way over to the body. They were so consumed in their own grief. Plagueheart hardly noticed Tess curling herself around her, licking her for comfort and tears falling in her own grief. The war was over, and Querida had been the hero to save it. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26649130] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/266492/26649130_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37997969][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/379980/37997969.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46260519][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/462606/46260519.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43080299][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/430803/43080299.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41895746][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/418958/41895746.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41890810][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/418909/41890810.png[/img][/url][/center] Magiere stared in shock at her warriors. Where the hypnotized circus dragons had been cornering the rebels of Windkeep Tower, they now had halted, shaking their heads in confusion. The spell had been broken, and Magiere had no idea why. Then it dawned on her. Quartz must be dead. It was Quartz who had given her the hypnotic magic she possessed, and if it was broken- Magiere cursed, and stomped the ground in anger. For a brief moment, she had reveled in her power, reliving the glory days of fighting by Legba's side. Now it was gone again, and if Windkeep Tower was victorious, they would not look kindly upon Magiere and her actions. The wildclaw turned tail and ran, before the rebels could come to their senses and turn on her. Her side had lost, again. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/76#post_39173136]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- So, here we are! You have no idea how amped up I was to write this chapter! I was both excited and terrified, I could feel the adrenaline rushing through me as I typed. I knew what had to happen, but I wanted to be sure I did the whole thing justice. Way back when I was first getting the inkling of ideas for this final arc, I knew two things. One was that Banella and Quartz had to be the villains, and the second was that the final scene had to be a standoff between Quartz and Querida where a sacrifice was made for victory. The binding of the hearts was something I had never been able to wrap up, and I wanted to acknowledge that. Lots has changed since my initial planning for the arc (For example, Plagueheart was originally going to lead the rebellion before I brought in Winterstone and realized that the loss of her children and a history with Quartz made her the perfect candidate to fill that role). Even up to this morning, I even wondered whether I should kill Querida at all. But the more I thought, the more I realized, a) I had written myself into a corner with the whole binding of the hearts, the only way to truly defeat Quartz was to kill him and that meant Querida had to go too and b) it would be out of character for Querida to do anything but sacrifice herself to protect the clan, especially considering protecting the clan was the whole reason she partnered herself with Quartz in the first place. It was her way of atoning for the crimes that in her mind, she had to resolve. Anyways, you can blame the song [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPbwLerfEY]Stalemate by Marc Martel[/url] for giving me the whole idea in the first place. I'm probably going to wait to few days before actually exalting those two. It's hard enough to see them go as it is. Also, though the war is over, the story is not over yet! We still have the denouement, which is going to take a few chapters!

Chapter 146: Darling, Don't Pull the Trigger

40062165_350.png

40036092_350.png

Plagueheart had never flown so fast in her entire life. Even Pyrite, who usually enjoyed a wild ride, was clinging for dear life onto the mast as they soared over the Sea of a Thousand currents, approaching Windkeep Tower.

It turned out they had been so disoriented and turned around in the Tangled Wood that they were only a day's journey from their ship. They had not slept since they set out. Something told Plagueheart she needed to be back as soon as physically possible, so she had set the ship at top speed across the Sea of a Thousand Currents. They had also been blessed with a good wind, perhaps the Windsinger was on their side.

The sun was setting by the time they reached Windkeep Tower, and the tower itself seemed oddly deserted. Plagueheart barely slowed as she raced over the top of the tower. The pink bubble around the mansion confirmed her suspicions. The fight had started, and she and Pyrite were missing out. She cursed.

"Are we maybe going to slow down a bit?" Pyrite asked as Plagueheart set course towards the mansion.

"Do you see how dim and transparent Quartz's shields are? He must not be keeping them up very well. Perhaps we can get through if we use enough force," Plagueheart reasoned.

"You're crazy," Pyrite said, eyes wide, "You realize you might kill the both of us."

"Pyrite, you know our daughter as well as I do, if she is anywhere, she is where Quartz is, and we can't let him hurt her anymore than he already has!" Plagueheart spat, "Now, are you with me or not."

"I'm with you," Pyrite agreed, gulping. The fear in his blue eyes hardened to determination, "No matter the risk."

"Here we go!" Plagueheart stuck out her tongue as the ship dipped down and rocketed towards the barrier. She closed her eyes as they approached, let go of the steering wheel, and ducked for cover.

The was the noise of something very large shattering, and Plagueheart felt something graze her cheek. She opened her eyes just in time to see the ship break through the wall of the mansion and into a large, ornate room. An imperial leaped from where she had been lounging, dropping her teacup in surprise. It shattered to the floor. Plagueheart hopped off the ship, followed by Pyrite.

"You're good at crashing ships," Her mate commented, "Isn't that how me met?"

"Shut it," Plagueheart snapped. They were on a mission. "You! Over there!" She growled at the imperial, who was still gaining her composure. "Which was to Quartz?"

"And why should I tell you?" The imperial narrowed her eyes, her lips pursed.

"I'll ask you again," Plagueheart said, drawing an arrow from her quiver and aiming it down the imperial's nose, "Where. Is. Quartz."

"Oh yes, right through there," The imperial said nervously, gesturing to a pair of grand double doors.

"Thank you, now that wasn't hard, was it?" Plagueheart flashed a smile and immediately burst through the door to see Querida and Quartz up in arms.

Quartz had some sort of weapon pointed at Querida, while Querida had a knife poised over her chest. Near the door, jaw hanging open, was Banella, watching the scene with an expression of horror on her face. Plagueheart slowed, trying to read the situation. She desperately wanted to stab Quartz immediately, but it appeared her daughter was at risk.

"You think you can kill me that easily?" Quartz taunted, "You think I'm not strong enough to withstand that sort of blow?"

"Don't kid yourself, the binding of the hearts is unbreakable and you know it full well. I know you've tried, as I have, to unbind us. You have more resources at your disposal, you must have hired the finest mages in all of Sornieth. Our fates our tied together, whether you like it or not. Do you really want to risk your life that way?" Querida growled, teeth gritted. Plagueheart could see the tension in her daughter's body and it filled her with anger. She moved to attack Quartz.

"Wait," Banella whispered, putting a tail in front of Plagueheart to stop her, "Didn't you hear her? Do anything to him, and you hurt her."

"Who's side are you even on?" Pyrite hissed at Banella.

"Whatever side Quartz isn't," Banella growled, flashing a glare at the coatl.

"You really think it's that easy to stop me?" Quartz laughed.

"Oh, don't try to lie," Querida growled, "I can feel your heartbeat, remember? You're as scared as I am, if not more."

"Well, if you know how scared I am, you know how desperate I'm getting," Quartz growled back. "You see this here? This is a bomb. It is packed full of elemental magic squeezed tighter than any elemental magic every should. It's just waiting for the chance to explode. If you don't stand down, I'll blow your whole precious clan to the ground, and keep you and I safe in one of my bubbles until the storm passes. We'll rise from the ashes, sell the elementally charged fallout to make up our losses, and start this empire afresh."

"You put that much faith in your bubble charms?" Querida snorted.

"I know what I am doing," Quartz warned.

"And what's keeping me from not killing you in retaliation for killing my family and destroying me home?" Querida asked.

"You can't harm me," Quartz reminded her.

"Not directly, no, but out lives are tied together. I only need to end one of ours," Querida reminded him.

"You're too noble to do anything like that," Quartz scoffed.

"Am I? Try me," Querida's eyes flashed dangerously, "To protect my clan, I'd do anything."

Silence fell between the two of them, tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. Neither seemed willing to break the others gaze. Plagueheart longed to race in the and break them apart, but then Quartz would set off the bomb. Besides, Querida wouldn't thank her for getting involved. This was her battle to fight.

"So, what'll it be? Do you surrender?" Querida challenged.

"Surrender to you? Never!" Quartz hissed, and he clicked a button on top of the weapon. The vials of elemental energy opened, sending the magic through the veins of the machine, mixing and growing more powerful and volatile by the second. The bomb began to shake violently, and steam was rising from inside. Cracks were beginning to appear in the glass. It wouldn't hold for long. It needed a release before it could explode.

Plagueheart rushed forward to pull her daughter into her arms, trying to protect her from the inevitable blast, but it was too late. Quartz got to her first. He pulled her in tight, and closed his eyes, prepared to cast his shield charm.

Querida was too fast for him. She slipped out of his short grasp. Plagueheart held out her arms, but her daughter didn't run to her. Instead, she ran to the bomb. The wildclaw picked it up and began to unscrew the cap the was blocking the barrel of the weapon. As she worked on it, she pointed the nozzle at herself, clearly wanted to prevent the blast from unintentionally hitting any other dragon. Tess moved from her position watching from the edge of the room to take her place by Querida's side.
360.png

"This is for Windkeep Tower! For all the dragons whose lives you have destroyed! This is for our children, and for the children yet to come, who will grow up in the peace that will follow this wretched war!" Querida shouted over the clank of the machine. The moment the cap came off, a bright blast of mixed elemental energy shot out of the machine, hitting Querida straight in the chest.

Plagueheart screamed, and images of Pennar filled her mind. This was all too familiar. This couldn't be happening again. She rushed forward, hardly noticing the way Banella was wrapping her arms around her until she couldn't move.

"There's nothing you can do. If you touch her now, you'll just get caught in the bast too!" Banella hissed.

"I! Don't! Care!" Plagueheart hissed, "If she dies, I have nothing left to live for!"

"You idiot! There is always something left to live for! Don't taint her sacrifice!" Banella growled, holding firm.

Eventually, the light faded, and Querida lay still on the ground. Quartz was still standing, eyes wide in shock. Then he coughed, clutched his chest, and collapsed as well. Banella let go, and Plagueheart and Pyrite rushed over to their daughter.

"No! No! No!" Plagueheart called, tears streaming down her face. She clutched her daughter, cradling what she could hold in her arms. Pyrite was sobbing, draped over her unconscious form.

"He's dead," Banella confirmed with a sigh. The two wildclaws had barely noticed her make her way over to the body. They were so consumed in their own grief. Plagueheart hardly noticed Tess curling herself around her, licking her for comfort and tears falling in her own grief.

The war was over, and Querida had been the hero to save it.

Magiere stared in shock at her warriors. Where the hypnotized circus dragons had been cornering the rebels of Windkeep Tower, they now had halted, shaking their heads in confusion. The spell had been broken, and Magiere had no idea why.

Then it dawned on her. Quartz must be dead. It was Quartz who had given her the hypnotic magic she possessed, and if it was broken-

Magiere cursed, and stomped the ground in anger. For a brief moment, she had reveled in her power, reliving the glory days of fighting by Legba's side. Now it was gone again, and if Windkeep Tower was victorious, they would not look kindly upon Magiere and her actions.

The wildclaw turned tail and ran, before the rebels could come to their senses and turn on her.

Her side had lost, again.

So, here we are! You have no idea how amped up I was to write this chapter! I was both excited and terrified, I could feel the adrenaline rushing through me as I typed. I knew what had to happen, but I wanted to be sure I did the whole thing justice.

Way back when I was first getting the inkling of ideas for this final arc, I knew two things. One was that Banella and Quartz had to be the villains, and the second was that the final scene had to be a standoff between Quartz and Querida where a sacrifice was made for victory. The binding of the hearts was something I had never been able to wrap up, and I wanted to acknowledge that.

Lots has changed since my initial planning for the arc (For example, Plagueheart was originally going to lead the rebellion before I brought in Winterstone and realized that the loss of her children and a history with Quartz made her the perfect candidate to fill that role). Even up to this morning, I even wondered whether I should kill Querida at all. But the more I thought, the more I realized, a) I had written myself into a corner with the whole binding of the hearts, the only way to truly defeat Quartz was to kill him and that meant Querida had to go too and b) it would be out of character for Querida to do anything but sacrifice herself to protect the clan, especially considering protecting the clan was the whole reason she partnered herself with Quartz in the first place. It was her way of atoning for the crimes that in her mind, she had to resolve.

Anyways, you can blame the song Stalemate by Marc Martel for giving me the whole idea in the first place.

I'm probably going to wait to few days before actually exalting those two. It's hard enough to see them go as it is.

Also, though the war is over, the story is not over yet! We still have the denouement, which is going to take a few chapters!
b r i l l i a n t
b r i l l i a n t
please buy my dragons
r7i0TKR.png
alphabet legacy
challenge
please just send private auctions.
it's a CR with half the hassle,
and with PAs we both get our stuff instantly.
@FallenEclipse I'm so glad you like it!!! [emoji=new friend size=1]
@FallenEclipse

I'm so glad you like it!!!
@Petall You had me hanging on to every word! The tension within the bystanders was unbelievable: Plagueheart and Pyrite, Banella, even Tess. I agree that the Binding of Hearts needed to be wrapped up in some way, and given that Quartz' reformation didn't last long (if it ever really was there) and Querida was never coming back to his side, this was a good way to do it.

Magiere is still out there, though, aaaaiiiiieeeee D:
@Petall You had me hanging on to every word! The tension within the bystanders was unbelievable: Plagueheart and Pyrite, Banella, even Tess. I agree that the Binding of Hearts needed to be wrapped up in some way, and given that Quartz' reformation didn't last long (if it ever really was there) and Querida was never coming back to his side, this was a good way to do it.

Magiere is still out there, though, aaaaiiiiieeeee D:
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I'm glad you enjoyed it! it's honestly such a strange feeling having this chapter over and done with, after building it up for so long!!!

Hehehe, yes she is!
@Disillusionist

I'm glad you enjoyed it! it's honestly such a strange feeling having this chapter over and done with, after building it up for so long!!!

Hehehe, yes she is!
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79