Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78 79
@CleverDual

Merry is honestly one of my favourite characters to write!

This chapter was the best one to write! Also, I just went to check Oriel's sister and she's beautiful! I love the name you gave her!!! I can't wait to see how you fit her in your lore!

Schism gets a lot of action later on, so you'll be learning more as you go!

Haha I knew you'd really like that chapter! I didn't intend to introduce all the dragons that I got from your clan in that chapter, but it just sort of happened. Now you see why I was so excited for you to read it!!!

@Kizzan

It breaks my heart to put Oriel through all that, because next to Merry, she's my favourite dragon. I'm really really excited for this nest, I can't wait to hatch it and start planning the lore of the children!

I'm glad you like Schism, she's a really fun character to write!

Thank you! Juggling the characters was one of the things I was the most worried about, so I'm glad to hear I'm doing a good job. Perhaps it's all the time I spent writing Warrior Cats fanfic when I was younger lol.
@CleverDual

Merry is honestly one of my favourite characters to write!

This chapter was the best one to write! Also, I just went to check Oriel's sister and she's beautiful! I love the name you gave her!!! I can't wait to see how you fit her in your lore!

Schism gets a lot of action later on, so you'll be learning more as you go!

Haha I knew you'd really like that chapter! I didn't intend to introduce all the dragons that I got from your clan in that chapter, but it just sort of happened. Now you see why I was so excited for you to read it!!!

@Kizzan

It breaks my heart to put Oriel through all that, because next to Merry, she's my favourite dragon. I'm really really excited for this nest, I can't wait to hatch it and start planning the lore of the children!

I'm glad you like Schism, she's a really fun character to write!

Thank you! Juggling the characters was one of the things I was the most worried about, so I'm glad to hear I'm doing a good job. Perhaps it's all the time I spent writing Warrior Cats fanfic when I was younger lol.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/4#post_32072671]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 14: The Windless Month[/u][/b][/center] The day the wind stopped, the dragons of Windkeep Tower could hardly believe it. Was this some sort of nightmare? Was it the end of the world? They barely took to the skies. Instead, they spend their days huddled within the tower, not daring to venture outdoors to feel the still air on their scales. The floating platforms hung limply, balloons sagging under the weight of it all. It was dead. They had done their best to provide shelter for travelers caught out in the stagnant air. The tower was fuller than it had ever been, but it had never had less energy. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38414705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/384148/38414705_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25550650] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/255507/25550650_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27871527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/278716/27871527_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Merry was the first to give flying a try. "Come on! We don't need wind to flap our wings! We can still be wind dragons!" He tried to outside his downcast clanmates. They raised they heads, but seemed unwilling to lift their wings. Even Fenn, known for her endless optimism, seemed to have lost her spark within. "The Windsinger has left us." The small queen muttered. "Something must have happened to him." "If something has happened to the Windsinger, we must be prepared to fight." Nymph exclaimed, rallying together all the courage she could muster. "Strange things have been happening all over Sornieth! Ancient beings sighted near the Fortress of Ends, the Magisters have left the Occulus, new islands have been springing up in the Ashfall Wastes, dragons have been going missing from the Dragonhome. Trouble is coming for us all and we can't just sit back and let it happen!" "But you're not windborn." Fenn pointed out. "You don't feel the emptiness... It's more than our magic not working. It's as if a key part of our souls are gone." "You don't have to go." Nymph nodded. "But those of us who can fly should try. If this is permanent, we must move forward from here!" [center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39168660] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=39168660&skin=0&apparel=552,318,1159,21855&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] Orkeck stepped forward towards Merry and Nymph. "I'll go too. I have been called to serve the Windsinger. Maybe it is time for me to go." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39127624] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/391277/39127624_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Orkeck, no! Not yet!" Oriel raced towards the other wildclaw, tears forming in her electric blue eyes. "I must, my dear. This is the time. This is my calling and if there I must go, and do my duty." Orkeck held her tight, then let go. "I will think of you every day, I promise." "I'll never forget you." Oriel said, with a small smile. It would be impossible, with what was nestled in a nest of blankets upstairs in her quarters. Orkeck turned to the other two volunteers. "I'll come with you for part of the journey, but I must complete it on my own." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Weeks passed, and life went on. Neither Merry not Nymph had yet returned, but flight without wind was difficult and energy consuming, so the journey towards the Cloudsong would be one that would require lots of rests. Oriel feared for the safety of her children. Without the land's natural element nurturing the clutch, how could they grow strong and healthy? She spent most of her days in her quarters, looking after them. Not a single soul knew. She didn't know why she had kept it a secret, now that Orkeck had gone. The timing had never seemed right to tell anyone. By the time it was nearing time for the eggs to hatch, the wind had been gone for nearly a month, and it was time for Oriel to admit she couldn't do this in her own. Wrapping the two eggs up in their blankets, she placed them gently in her bag and made her way upstairs. Windkeep Tower did not yet have a hatchling caretaker, as these eggs would be the first to hatch within the new clan, but there were plenty of dragons who knew that they were doing when it came to hatchlings. Fenn was busy, trying to keep the clan together and doing her best to raise spirits in light of their missing scouts, so that left Amberlyn. From what Oriel had heard, the older wildclaw had a pretty sizable family once upon a time, though all that was gone now. She climbed the final flight of stairs and found herself face to face with the great fire on the roof of the tower. Fenn had insisted it be kept going by whatever means possible. After all, should the fire go out, all hope would truly be lost. Currently, a skydancer was tending to the flame, tenderly adding fuel with such concentration, she did not notice Oriel's approach. [center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26754921] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/267550/26754921_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Carmen hissed as she spun, stretching her wings out threateningly. "Sorry!" Oriel gasped. "I didn't mean to scare you! I just wanted to ask if you knew where Amberlyn is!" "Amberlyn is resting." Carmen said, as if it should be obvious. "It's her day off. It is my turn to tend to the fire." "Please, it's urgent!" Oriel pleaded. Dipping her head, Carmen gestured to a door leading to a flat just below the platform the beacon rested on. It looked to be a chamber that was initially part of Sacredscream's library ship. Carmen returned to her task, mumbling to herself quietly. Oriel turned and carefully approached the door. After a brief hesitation, she knocked. She heard movement inside and the door swung open. [center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17420518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174206/17420518_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Hi Amberlyn. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I really need your help." Oriel explained. She opened her bag to show the older wildclaw what was inside. Amberlyn's violet eyes widened, and she whisked the younger wildclaw inside. "Are they Orkeck's?" Amberlyn asked as she bustled around her quarters, putting on the kettle. It was quite warm, and not very tidy. Stuff was strewn all over the place. Oriel gave a nod as she set the two eggs out on the table. Amberlyn handed her a cup of tea and began to examine the eggs. "Undernourished." Amberlyn confirmed. "Don't worry, it's not your fault. I'm guessing every wind egg is reacting this way with the weather. I do wish you had told me sooner though, I could have helped. This is a great burden to carry on your own." "I'm the only family they have." Oriel's eyes sparked with determination. "No, that's not true." Amberlyn said. "And even if it were, the clan would be more than happy to help. It's part of being a clan." "What do you mean, it's not true. I have no parents here, or siblings. And Orkeck left his whole family behind." "Not all of his family." Amberlyn explained with a sigh. "He still had me. He is descended from my son, Baron. I was never entirely sure, as family lines got quite muddled after his great-grandparents left his grandfather to be raised in an orphanage, but after arriving here, the family resemblance was undeniable. Those children of yours are all that remains of my family, and I refuse to see them die." Amberlyn pulled out some sort of mechanism that blew air onto the eggs. Oriel couldn't really tell how it worked. "It belonged to one of my granddaughters, Cumulus." Amberlyn explained. "She used to work as a hatchling caretaker. This was for if an egg needed a little extra help." Slowly, the colour began to the eggs, and Oriel could hear movement inside them. Suddenly, cracks were beginning to form on the shells. "Amberlyn! Look!" Oriel gasped. Amberlyn leaned in to get a closer look. "There's nothing like watching new life come into the world." Amberlyn sighed. "I have seen it countless times and it never ceases to amaze me." The words were scarcely out of her mouth when there was a gust of wind. A few papers blew off the table as a breeze blew through an open window. The wind had returned. Oriel could hear cheering erupt around the tower, and dragons taking flight. She didn't care. Her children were more important right now. The first to emerge from his shell was a pink and green male. His eyes wide open as his head popped out. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=159&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=3&gender=0&tert=154&tertgene=5&winggene=11&wings=101&auth=ae56faaeed8cf376dd8657890d313cd39f59a8d0&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] His sister hatched soon afterwards, letting out a shriek as she burst from the egg fluid and took her first breath of fresh, windblown air. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=60&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=3&gender=1&tert=130&tertgene=5&winggene=11&wings=101&auth=3841d7bc1144691c6a01e604d868d9cafd506ee3&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] Amberlyn scooped them up, cleaned off the fluid, and checked them over. "They're smaller than most hatchlings, but they'll be just fine." Amberlyn reassured Oriel, passing her the newly hatched wildclaws. Oriel took them into her arms and looked down at them warmly. "They are perfect." She breathed. "Absolutely perfect." ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/5#post_32352496]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax[/center] ----- The hatchlings are here! Don't have time to say more because this took longer than I expected to write and now I need to get going to work!

Chapter 14: The Windless Month

The day the wind stopped, the dragons of Windkeep Tower could hardly believe it. Was this some sort of nightmare? Was it the end of the world?

They barely took to the skies. Instead, they spend their days huddled within the tower, not daring to venture outdoors to feel the still air on their scales. The floating platforms hung limply, balloons sagging under the weight of it all. It was dead. They had done their best to provide shelter for travelers caught out in the stagnant air. The tower was fuller than it had ever been, but it had never had less energy.

Merry was the first to give flying a try.

"Come on! We don't need wind to flap our wings! We can still be wind dragons!" He tried to outside his downcast clanmates. They raised they heads, but seemed unwilling to lift their wings. Even Fenn, known for her endless optimism, seemed to have lost her spark within.

"The Windsinger has left us." The small queen muttered. "Something must have happened to him."

"If something has happened to the Windsinger, we must be prepared to fight." Nymph exclaimed, rallying together all the courage she could muster. "Strange things have been happening all over Sornieth! Ancient beings sighted near the Fortress of Ends, the Magisters have left the Occulus, new islands have been springing up in the Ashfall Wastes, dragons have been going missing from the Dragonhome. Trouble is coming for us all and we can't just sit back and let it happen!"

"But you're not windborn." Fenn pointed out. "You don't feel the emptiness... It's more than our magic not working. It's as if a key part of our souls are gone."

"You don't have to go." Nymph nodded. "But those of us who can fly should try. If this is permanent, we must move forward from here!"

Orkeck stepped forward towards Merry and Nymph. "I'll go too. I have been called to serve the Windsinger. Maybe it is time for me to go."

"Orkeck, no! Not yet!" Oriel raced towards the other wildclaw, tears forming in her electric blue eyes.

"I must, my dear. This is the time. This is my calling and if there I must go, and do my duty." Orkeck held her tight, then let go. "I will think of you every day, I promise."

"I'll never forget you." Oriel said, with a small smile. It would be impossible, with what was nestled in a nest of blankets upstairs in her quarters.

Orkeck turned to the other two volunteers. "I'll come with you for part of the journey, but I must complete it on my own."

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

Weeks passed, and life went on. Neither Merry not Nymph had yet returned, but flight without wind was difficult and energy consuming, so the journey towards the Cloudsong would be one that would require lots of rests.

Oriel feared for the safety of her children. Without the land's natural element nurturing the clutch, how could they grow strong and healthy? She spent most of her days in her quarters, looking after them. Not a single soul knew. She didn't know why she had kept it a secret, now that Orkeck had gone. The timing had never seemed right to tell anyone.

By the time it was nearing time for the eggs to hatch, the wind had been gone for nearly a month, and it was time for Oriel to admit she couldn't do this in her own. Wrapping the two eggs up in their blankets, she placed them gently in her bag and made her way upstairs.

Windkeep Tower did not yet have a hatchling caretaker, as these eggs would be the first to hatch within the new clan, but there were plenty of dragons who knew that they were doing when it came to hatchlings. Fenn was busy, trying to keep the clan together and doing her best to raise spirits in light of their missing scouts, so that left Amberlyn. From what Oriel had heard, the older wildclaw had a pretty sizable family once upon a time, though all that was gone now.

She climbed the final flight of stairs and found herself face to face with the great fire on the roof of the tower. Fenn had insisted it be kept going by whatever means possible. After all, should the fire go out, all hope would truly be lost. Currently, a skydancer was tending to the flame, tenderly adding fuel with such concentration, she did not notice Oriel's approach.

Carmen hissed as she spun, stretching her wings out threateningly.

"Sorry!" Oriel gasped. "I didn't mean to scare you! I just wanted to ask if you knew where Amberlyn is!"

"Amberlyn is resting." Carmen said, as if it should be obvious. "It's her day off. It is my turn to tend to the fire."

"Please, it's urgent!" Oriel pleaded.

Dipping her head, Carmen gestured to a door leading to a flat just below the platform the beacon rested on. It looked to be a chamber that was initially part of Sacredscream's library ship. Carmen returned to her task, mumbling to herself quietly. Oriel turned and carefully approached the door. After a brief hesitation, she knocked. She heard movement inside and the door swung open.

"Hi Amberlyn. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I really need your help." Oriel explained. She opened her bag to show the older wildclaw what was inside. Amberlyn's violet eyes widened, and she whisked the younger wildclaw inside.

"Are they Orkeck's?" Amberlyn asked as she bustled around her quarters, putting on the kettle. It was quite warm, and not very tidy. Stuff was strewn all over the place. Oriel gave a nod as she set the two eggs out on the table. Amberlyn handed her a cup of tea and began to examine the eggs.

"Undernourished." Amberlyn confirmed. "Don't worry, it's not your fault. I'm guessing every wind egg is reacting this way with the weather. I do wish you had told me sooner though, I could have helped. This is a great burden to carry on your own."

"I'm the only family they have." Oriel's eyes sparked with determination.

"No, that's not true." Amberlyn said. "And even if it were, the clan would be more than happy to help. It's part of being a clan."

"What do you mean, it's not true. I have no parents here, or siblings. And Orkeck left his whole family behind."

"Not all of his family." Amberlyn explained with a sigh. "He still had me. He is descended from my son, Baron. I was never entirely sure, as family lines got quite muddled after his great-grandparents left his grandfather to be raised in an orphanage, but after arriving here, the family resemblance was undeniable. Those children of yours are all that remains of my family, and I refuse to see them die."

Amberlyn pulled out some sort of mechanism that blew air onto the eggs. Oriel couldn't really tell how it worked.

"It belonged to one of my granddaughters, Cumulus." Amberlyn explained. "She used to work as a hatchling caretaker. This was for if an egg needed a little extra help."

Slowly, the colour began to the eggs, and Oriel could hear movement inside them. Suddenly, cracks were beginning to form on the shells.

"Amberlyn! Look!" Oriel gasped. Amberlyn leaned in to get a closer look.

"There's nothing like watching new life come into the world." Amberlyn sighed. "I have seen it countless times and it never ceases to amaze me."

The words were scarcely out of her mouth when there was a gust of wind. A few papers blew off the table as a breeze blew through an open window. The wind had returned. Oriel could hear cheering erupt around the tower, and dragons taking flight. She didn't care. Her children were more important right now.

The first to emerge from his shell was a pink and green male. His eyes wide open as his head popped out.
dragon?age=0&body=159&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=3&gender=0&tert=154&tertgene=5&winggene=11&wings=101&auth=ae56faaeed8cf376dd8657890d313cd39f59a8d0&dummyext=prev.png

His sister hatched soon afterwards, letting out a shriek as she burst from the egg fluid and took her first breath of fresh, windblown air.
dragon?age=0&body=60&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=3&gender=1&tert=130&tertgene=5&winggene=11&wings=101&auth=3841d7bc1144691c6a01e604d868d9cafd506ee3&dummyext=prev.png

Amberlyn scooped them up, cleaned off the fluid, and checked them over.

"They're smaller than most hatchlings, but they'll be just fine." Amberlyn reassured Oriel, passing her the newly hatched wildclaws. Oriel took them into her arms and looked down at them warmly.

"They are perfect." She breathed. "Absolutely perfect."

The hatchlings are here! Don't have time to say more because this took longer than I expected to write and now I need to get going to work!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall pinglist? i love following lore :D
@Petall pinglist? i love following lore :D

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
always feel free to ping me
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
awwwww <3
awwwww <3
aNHEZYf.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6ky5FlX1r2ao8y_540.pngTn4TEAZ.png+0 FRT ~ she/they ~ INFP
@lilastar

Of course! I'll add you right away!

@zzzhorses

I'm glad you enjoyed today's chapter!
@lilastar

Of course! I'll add you right away!

@zzzhorses

I'm glad you enjoyed today's chapter!
@Petall Oh my gosh, how exciting! :D I can't believe the babies are finally here! I'm glad they're gonna be all right, and they're so pretty, too. And it's so nice to see Amberlyn still around and active! Gosh, this lore is so fun to read.
@Petall Oh my gosh, how exciting! :D I can't believe the babies are finally here! I'm glad they're gonna be all right, and they're so pretty, too. And it's so nice to see Amberlyn still around and active! Gosh, this lore is so fun to read.
9a7022265cce6e6517f86509db3f1669ab24b257.png Left: Sales thread. Right: Egg a day challenge. 9a7022265cce6e6517f86509db3f1669ab24b257.png
@Kizzan

Thank you!!! And Amberlyn is a favourite of mine, I'm glad I had an opportunity to insert her into the story more! And I'm so excited for the plans I have for these hatchlings!!!
@Kizzan

Thank you!!! And Amberlyn is a favourite of mine, I'm glad I had an opportunity to insert her into the story more! And I'm so excited for the plans I have for these hatchlings!!!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/5#post_32143716]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 15: Can I Come In?[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26649130] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/266492/26649130_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35290001] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/352901/35290001_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "We need to talk." Magiere burst into Lin's study, tail lashing. The skydancer did not look up from the chart he was studying. He was lazing on a soft green blanket in the corner of his quarters, surrounded by piles of books and charts. "A 'can I come in' would have been nice." Lin responded tersely. "You can't tell me being a lady all these years left you without manners." "Whatever." Magiere rolled her eyes. "What can I do for you?" Lin asked, rolling up the chart and sighing, accepting that the stubborn wildclaw would not be leaving anytime soon. "I want to learn magic." Magiere insisted. "You're the clan mage, so teach me!" "You're not in the palace anymore, Maj." Lin chuckled to himself. "You can't get everything by demanding it. Besides, I'm not sure you have what it takes." "And what's that supposed to mean?" She growled, bearing her teeth. "Well, it takes a certain level of patience, and humility. You are hardly apprentice material, not with your attitude." Lin explained, humour dancing in his brown eyes. "Apprentice? Who said anything about apprentice?" Magiere said, reeling. "Can't you just lend me a book or something?" "True magic can't be learned through books alone. It's not as simple as saying a few words and expelling a bit of your innate elemental energy, though I must admit your birth flight lends itself to a level of proficiency in this area. No, if you really want to learn, you'll have to start from the bottom, something I know your are fairly incapable of doing. You've been at the top far too long, seeking out friends in high places to hoist you up to their level. I assume that's what you're trying to threaten me into. You've lost your friends, and now you're faced with the truth of yourself, stripped of your position and family and all you held dear." There was a dark twinkle in Lin's eyes as he spoke. "Correct me if I'm wrong." Magiere opened her mouth as if to protest, but she quickly shut it again. She took a deep breath, then spoke, emotion filling her bright pink eyes in a way she had not let happen in a long time. "Please Lin, I need to build something for myself. I need to be someone again." "Tomorrow morning, sunrise." Lin said, shaking his head and returning to his chart. "What?" "If you want to learn, your first lesson is tomorrow, at sunrise." He raised his eyes to meet Magiere's. "Unless that's too early for your majesty." "No, that's fine." Magiere said, shocked he had agreed so easily. Sure, it had been a long time since she had woken up that early, but it would be worth it, wouldn't it? She hesitated awkwardly for a moment before spitting out a quick "thank you" and leaving. Lin pulled out a fresh roll of parchment and began to draw up a lesson plan. He knew it was likely a fool's errand to teach someone like Magiere, and that she'd probably get bored after the first week of lessons and give up, but she was determined, and if there was a chance he could sway her from her selfishness, it would be doing the whole clan a favour. Whatever the case, this first lesson would be interesting. Magiere would have to learn how to take some orders for a change. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/5#post_32375875]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar[/center] ----- This is a rewritten scene that I originally wrote to post on tumblr a month or so ago, then lost it. I finally found the heart to rewrite it, because I think it's an important scene to kick of Magiere's character development. Next update: Mistral Jamboree!!!

Chapter 15: Can I Come In?

26649130_350.png

35290001_350.png

"We need to talk." Magiere burst into Lin's study, tail lashing. The skydancer did not look up from the chart he was studying. He was lazing on a soft green blanket in the corner of his quarters, surrounded by piles of books and charts.

"A 'can I come in' would have been nice." Lin responded tersely. "You can't tell me being a lady all these years left you without manners."

"Whatever." Magiere rolled her eyes.

"What can I do for you?" Lin asked, rolling up the chart and sighing, accepting that the stubborn wildclaw would not be leaving anytime soon.

"I want to learn magic." Magiere insisted. "You're the clan mage, so teach me!"

"You're not in the palace anymore, Maj." Lin chuckled to himself. "You can't get everything by demanding it. Besides, I'm not sure you have what it takes."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" She growled, bearing her teeth.

"Well, it takes a certain level of patience, and humility. You are hardly apprentice material, not with your attitude." Lin explained, humour dancing in his brown eyes.

"Apprentice? Who said anything about apprentice?" Magiere said, reeling. "Can't you just lend me a book or something?"

"True magic can't be learned through books alone. It's not as simple as saying a few words and expelling a bit of your innate elemental energy, though I must admit your birth flight lends itself to a level of proficiency in this area. No, if you really want to learn, you'll have to start from the bottom, something I know your are fairly incapable of doing. You've been at the top far too long, seeking out friends in high places to hoist you up to their level. I assume that's what you're trying to threaten me into. You've lost your friends, and now you're faced with the truth of yourself, stripped of your position and family and all you held dear." There was a dark twinkle in Lin's eyes as he spoke. "Correct me if I'm wrong."

Magiere opened her mouth as if to protest, but she quickly shut it again. She took a deep breath, then spoke, emotion filling her bright pink eyes in a way she had not let happen in a long time. "Please Lin, I need to build something for myself. I need to be someone again."

"Tomorrow morning, sunrise." Lin said, shaking his head and returning to his chart.

"What?"

"If you want to learn, your first lesson is tomorrow, at sunrise." He raised his eyes to meet Magiere's. "Unless that's too early for your majesty."

"No, that's fine." Magiere said, shocked he had agreed so easily. Sure, it had been a long time since she had woken up that early, but it would be worth it, wouldn't it? She hesitated awkwardly for a moment before spitting out a quick "thank you" and leaving.

Lin pulled out a fresh roll of parchment and began to draw up a lesson plan. He knew it was likely a fool's errand to teach someone like Magiere, and that she'd probably get bored after the first week of lessons and give up, but she was determined, and if there was a chance he could sway her from her selfishness, it would be doing the whole clan a favour. Whatever the case, this first lesson would be interesting. Magiere would have to learn how to take some orders for a change.

This is a rewritten scene that I originally wrote to post on tumblr a month or so ago, then lost it. I finally found the heart to rewrite it, because I think it's an important scene to kick of Magiere's character development.

Next update: Mistral Jamboree!!!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/5#post_32352496]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 16: East to West or West to East...[/u][/b][/center] It was the eve before the Mistral Jamboree, and the air was abuzz with energy and excitement. Any reason to celebrate was exciting for the dragons of Windkeep Tower, but it was especially true when it came to their home flight's festival. The past few weeks, everyone had been busy decorating the clan and setting up events, wondering what Joxar merchandise the traders would bring to the clan this year. Maggie had hid away the Jamboree shipment, and refused to let anyone, including herself, peek at the contents of the crates until she opened her shop on the first day of the Jamboree. One particular family was especially busy, as the Jamboree not only marked an important celebration, but also an important step in growing up for two particular wildclaws. [Center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39127624] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/391277/39127624_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062164] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40062164&skin=0&apparel=390,371,425,436,946,17902&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [/center] "Are you sure you've packed everything you need?" Oriel fretted as she rushed around her children's room. "We'll be fine, Mom. We won't be gone long." Pennar reassured his mother. "We'll be home before you know it! Just you wait and see!" "Oh, but it's not about how soon you come home." Oriel placed her hand on her son's cheek. "This journey is about you, and finding your place in the world. On this trip you're going to grow, and learn so much about yourself. Don't worry about me. It's never easy for a mother to see her children leave, though know I am so proud of you both!" She turned to her daughter, Palla. Palla did not look at her mother, bit instead focussed on pushing the last of her supplies in her bag. Satisfied, she pulled the leather drawstrings shut. She couldn't wait to leave this place, to find her own answers. She loved her mother, but she couldn't help but feel smothered by her. She was too much sometimes. Pennar didn't see it, he got along with almost everyone. Palla couldn't help but envy the bond her brother and mother had. She always had the feeling Oriel never fully understood her, no matter how hard she tried to, and she found herself wondering once again what her father had been like. "Palla? Are you alright?" Pennar asked, looking at his sister with concern. "Fine." She sighed, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She didn't belong here, she felt. There had to be more to the world than this, and she couldn't wait to find it. To be free to be herself, unhindered by the expectations she felt bound her. Everyone was so happy here, and she just didn't understand it. Happiness was never something that came easy to her. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=103&bodygene=7&breed=10&element=4&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=166&auth=b697021a0cafc6b4c9c80c89b4fe3b40cb063893&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [IMG]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036091_350.png[/IMG][/center] "Alright, this is where Aleksei said to meet him." Pyrite said, turning to his clutchmate. They stood on the cliffs of the sunbeam ruins, near a large light clan. Water still dropped off his scales, and his brother's feathers were drenched. "Shouldn't he be here by now?" Fire asked, shifting his feet anxiously. The two brothers had left their birth clan to seek their fortune, and their elder brother had offered them a place in his gang, providing they passed a test first. Pyrite wasn't sure what the test was, but he was eager to prove himself and earn himself a place. [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/382953/38295205_350.png[/img][/center] "There you two are!" A booming voice sounded from behind. "I thought you'd never show!" "Aleksei!" Flame exclaimed excitedly, racing towards the older coatl to give him a hug. "Not so fast!" Aleksei protested, holding up a hand to stop the overexcited coatl. "Prove yourself first, then you can gain my acceptance." "What do you want us to do?" Pyrite asked, trying to keep his excitement hidden. Aleksei always seemed so cool, and Pyrite was desperate to be like him. "You see that clan over there?" Aleksei gestured to the large city built out of the sunbleached white stone that were scattered around the Sunbeam Ruins. "I want you both to go in, and steal something. When you return, I will judge based on what you bring back how fit you are to join us." "But- stealing's wrong!" Fire's feathers drooped and he began to fidget with his hands. He couldn't seem to meet his older brother's gaze. Aleksei only laughed. "Well, you're going to have to get used to bending the law a bit to join the Crystalplate Stingers." Aleksei explained. "If you haven't got the guts you can go back to your baking-" "No, we're in!" Pyrite interrupted, putting a hand over Fire's mouth. He wasn't going to let his brother ruin this chance for him. He wanted it so badly, he'd do anything for it, even if it meant breaking the law. The last thing he wanted was for his older brother to be disappointed in him. "Alright then. You have and hour and a half, then we'll meet back here. I'll be waiting." Aleksei's blue eyes glinted like sapphires as Pyrite and Fire took off towards the great city. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] An hour had almost passed, and Fire and Pyrite were empty handed. They strode down the streets of the bustling city, trying to seem like ordinary tourists. "Maybe it's for the best." Fire reassured Pyrite. "We shouldn't really be doing this anyways. Let's just go home." "No! I'm not leaving until we've succeeded!" Pyrite spat, turning on his brother quickly. Realizing there wasn't time to argue, he angrily stormed on. Fire lowered his head and followed Pyrite silently. After 10 more minutes, Pyrite looked over his shoulder, and his brother was gone. "Coward." Pyrite muttered under his breath, immediately feeling guilty afterwards. Fire wasn't a coward, but he didn't have the backbone for the gang. If Pyrite really wanted to join the Stingers, he'd probably have to leave his brother behind. "Psst! Py!" A familiar voice called out from a shadowed alleyway. Pyrite spun around and saw Fire beckoning him closer. The orange coatl put his hands forward and showed Pyrite a large, gleaming ruby. "How did you-" Pyrite began, but he was cut off from a cry behind him. "Theif!" "Stay here!" Pyrite whispered hastily before grabbing the ruby from his brothers hand. He turned and ran away. If anyone could escape he city with the ruby, it would be him. He had always been a faster runner than his clutchmate, with is long, strong legs. Apparently, his legs were not strong enough and he was soon tackled to the ground by a pair of ridgeback guards. The ruby was knocked out of his hands and fell onto the cobblestones. Pyrite winced and swore. "You are under arrest for theivery and treason." One of the guards announced. "Now tell me, because we're going to find out sooner or later, was there anyone helping you in this endeavor?" "No." Pyrite responded between gasps for air. Fire had been against this from the start. He didn't deserve to be dragged into this. "I work alone." "He might be a member of the Crystalplate Stingers." The other guard told the one holding him tightly. "No tattoo." The first guard grunted. With a few grunts, Pyrite was hoisted over the first guard's shoulder, and he was carried off towards the prisons. From the corner of his eye he saw a flash of orange, and he felt a rush of relief. Fire was safe, that's what really mattered. If Pyrite was going down, he wouldn't be taking anyone with him. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/6#post_32437112]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar [/center] ----- This is the start of a new mini-arc in my lore, following Palla, Pennar and Pyrite! I think my lore story from here on is going to be made up of arcs, following various characters in the travels/struggles/life with various slice-of-life updates popping up every so often when inspiration hits. Fire and Aleksei are actually Pyrite's brothers, though they are exalted. I got permission from the owner of Pyrite's parents, @tigressRising to use Fire and Aleksei in my lore. I haven't decided if they are going to show up much in my lore in the future, but they will probably at least be mentioned again. Also, fun fact! Coatls are my new favourite flight rising breed!

Chapter 16: East to West or West to East...

It was the eve before the Mistral Jamboree, and the air was abuzz with energy and excitement. Any reason to celebrate was exciting for the dragons of Windkeep Tower, but it was especially true when it came to their home flight's festival. The past few weeks, everyone had been busy decorating the clan and setting up events, wondering what Joxar merchandise the traders would bring to the clan this year. Maggie had hid away the Jamboree shipment, and refused to let anyone, including herself, peek at the contents of the crates until she opened her shop on the first day of the Jamboree.

One particular family was especially busy, as the Jamboree not only marked an important celebration, but also an important step in growing up for two particular wildclaws.

"Are you sure you've packed everything you need?" Oriel fretted as she rushed around her children's room.

"We'll be fine, Mom. We won't be gone long." Pennar reassured his mother. "We'll be home before you know it! Just you wait and see!"

"Oh, but it's not about how soon you come home." Oriel placed her hand on her son's cheek. "This journey is about you, and finding your place in the world. On this trip you're going to grow, and learn so much about yourself. Don't worry about me. It's never easy for a mother to see her children leave, though know I am so proud of you both!" She turned to her daughter, Palla.

Palla did not look at her mother, bit instead focussed on pushing the last of her supplies in her bag. Satisfied, she pulled the leather drawstrings shut. She couldn't wait to leave this place, to find her own answers. She loved her mother, but she couldn't help but feel smothered by her. She was too much sometimes. Pennar didn't see it, he got along with almost everyone. Palla couldn't help but envy the bond her brother and mother had. She always had the feeling Oriel never fully understood her, no matter how hard she tried to, and she found herself wondering once again what her father had been like.

"Palla? Are you alright?" Pennar asked, looking at his sister with concern.

"Fine." She sighed, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She didn't belong here, she felt. There had to be more to the world than this, and she couldn't wait to find it. To be free to be herself, unhindered by the expectations she felt bound her. Everyone was so happy here, and she just didn't understand it. Happiness was never something that came easy to her.

dragon?age=1&body=103&bodygene=7&breed=10&element=4&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=166&auth=b697021a0cafc6b4c9c80c89b4fe3b40cb063893&dummyext=prev.png
40036091_350.png

"Alright, this is where Aleksei said to meet him." Pyrite said, turning to his clutchmate. They stood on the cliffs of the sunbeam ruins, near a large light clan. Water still dropped off his scales, and his brother's feathers were drenched.

"Shouldn't he be here by now?" Fire asked, shifting his feet anxiously. The two brothers had left their birth clan to seek their fortune, and their elder brother had offered them a place in his gang, providing they passed a test first. Pyrite wasn't sure what the test was, but he was eager to prove himself and earn himself a place.
38295205_350.png

"There you two are!" A booming voice sounded from behind. "I thought you'd never show!"

"Aleksei!" Flame exclaimed excitedly, racing towards the older coatl to give him a hug.

"Not so fast!" Aleksei protested, holding up a hand to stop the overexcited coatl. "Prove yourself first, then you can gain my acceptance."

"What do you want us to do?" Pyrite asked, trying to keep his excitement hidden. Aleksei always seemed so cool, and Pyrite was desperate to be like him.

"You see that clan over there?" Aleksei gestured to the large city built out of the sunbleached white stone that were scattered around the Sunbeam Ruins. "I want you both to go in, and steal something. When you return, I will judge based on what you bring back how fit you are to join us."

"But- stealing's wrong!" Fire's feathers drooped and he began to fidget with his hands. He couldn't seem to meet his older brother's gaze. Aleksei only laughed.

"Well, you're going to have to get used to bending the law a bit to join the Crystalplate Stingers." Aleksei explained. "If you haven't got the guts you can go back to your baking-"

"No, we're in!" Pyrite interrupted, putting a hand over Fire's mouth. He wasn't going to let his brother ruin this chance for him. He wanted it so badly, he'd do anything for it, even if it meant breaking the law. The last thing he wanted was for his older brother to be disappointed in him.

"Alright then. You have and hour and a half, then we'll meet back here. I'll be waiting." Aleksei's blue eyes glinted like sapphires as Pyrite and Fire took off towards the great city.

An hour had almost passed, and Fire and Pyrite were empty handed. They strode down the streets of the bustling city, trying to seem like ordinary tourists.

"Maybe it's for the best." Fire reassured Pyrite. "We shouldn't really be doing this anyways. Let's just go home."

"No! I'm not leaving until we've succeeded!" Pyrite spat, turning on his brother quickly. Realizing there wasn't time to argue, he angrily stormed on. Fire lowered his head and followed Pyrite silently.

After 10 more minutes, Pyrite looked over his shoulder, and his brother was gone.

"Coward." Pyrite muttered under his breath, immediately feeling guilty afterwards. Fire wasn't a coward, but he didn't have the backbone for the gang. If Pyrite really wanted to join the Stingers, he'd probably have to leave his brother behind.

"Psst! Py!" A familiar voice called out from a shadowed alleyway. Pyrite spun around and saw Fire beckoning him closer. The orange coatl put his hands forward and showed Pyrite a large, gleaming ruby.

"How did you-" Pyrite began, but he was cut off from a cry behind him.

"Theif!"

"Stay here!" Pyrite whispered hastily before grabbing the ruby from his brothers hand. He turned and ran away. If anyone could escape he city with the ruby, it would be him. He had always been a faster runner than his clutchmate, with is long, strong legs.

Apparently, his legs were not strong enough and he was soon tackled to the ground by a pair of ridgeback guards. The ruby was knocked out of his hands and fell onto the cobblestones. Pyrite winced and swore.

"You are under arrest for theivery and treason." One of the guards announced. "Now tell me, because we're going to find out sooner or later, was there anyone helping you in this endeavor?"

"No." Pyrite responded between gasps for air. Fire had been against this from the start. He didn't deserve to be dragged into this. "I work alone."

"He might be a member of the Crystalplate Stingers." The other guard told the one holding him tightly.

"No tattoo." The first guard grunted.

With a few grunts, Pyrite was hoisted over the first guard's shoulder, and he was carried off towards the prisons. From the corner of his eye he saw a flash of orange, and he felt a rush of relief. Fire was safe, that's what really mattered. If Pyrite was going down, he wouldn't be taking anyone with him.

This is the start of a new mini-arc in my lore, following Palla, Pennar and Pyrite! I think my lore story from here on is going to be made up of arcs, following various characters in the travels/struggles/life with various slice-of-life updates popping up every so often when inspiration hits.

Fire and Aleksei are actually Pyrite's brothers, though they are exalted. I got permission from the owner of Pyrite's parents, @tigressRising to use Fire and Aleksei in my lore. I haven't decided if they are going to show up much in my lore in the future, but they will probably at least be mentioned again.

Also, fun fact! Coatls are my new favourite flight rising breed!
@Petall Thanks for the ping! I'll admit, this isn't the direction I expected you to go in with Pyrite and his brothers, but I like the personalities you gave them. I'm interested to see where you'll go next with their story, and with the others - I've read through all of your lore posts here, and I really like them. May I please be put on the pinglist for all updates?
@Petall Thanks for the ping! I'll admit, this isn't the direction I expected you to go in with Pyrite and his brothers, but I like the personalities you gave them. I'm interested to see where you'll go next with their story, and with the others - I've read through all of your lore posts here, and I really like them. May I please be put on the pinglist for all updates?
Na5WGHa.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78 79