Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Story Assisstance
1 2

Alrighty then, hi there!

I'm currently in the process of writing a novel, but am I am trying to come up with animal symbols for each of the gods in that story. So, if you might be willing to lend me a moment or so of your time, could you tell me what animal you think of when you hear these words? I've been trying (pitifully) to come up with them on my own you see, but thought the ideas of others may help too. :)

Can be real-world or Mythical I don't mind either way. :)

Pride
Humility
Greed
Charity
Wrath
Patience
Lust
Purity
Sloth
Diligence
Envy
Kindness
Gluttony
Temperance

Alrighty then, hi there!

I'm currently in the process of writing a novel, but am I am trying to come up with animal symbols for each of the gods in that story. So, if you might be willing to lend me a moment or so of your time, could you tell me what animal you think of when you hear these words? I've been trying (pitifully) to come up with them on my own you see, but thought the ideas of others may help too. :)

Can be real-world or Mythical I don't mind either way. :)

Pride
Humility
Greed
Charity
Wrath
Patience
Lust
Purity
Sloth
Diligence
Envy
Kindness
Gluttony
Temperance
HATCHERY > tumblr_pvkbdx8COQ1ugssd3o1_250.png
@HinodeTsurugi

Found these on the wiki page for seven deadly sins:
Quote:
toad = avarice
snake = envy
lion = wrath
snail = sloth
pig = gluttony
goat = lust
peacock = pride

But with one change of my own:

Sparrows have metaphorically been used to refer to the common, licentious folk, due to the bird's polygamous nature, so they'd fit for lust.

And as for the virtues:

Humility: Mouse/other prey animal

Not really sure how I thought of this one. Just the idea of a small prey animal, possibly accepting its role in the food chain of being eaten by larger animals, that seems humble to me.

Charity: Chicken

A bit of an odd choice, but hear me out. Chickens have been known to raise the young of other animals, such as cats, dogs, ducks etc. Plus, dominant roosters, when they discover a tasty morsel, will call for his hens to come over and eat it instead of taking it for himself.

Patience: Wolf

Based off their hunting technique: Wolves hunt by loping alongside their prey until it collapses from exhaustion.

Purity: Dove, albatross

Doves, with their white feathers, are the traditional symbol of purity and innocence.

On the other hand, albatrosses are known to mate for life; the complete opposite of lust.

Diligence: Bee

The term 'busy bee' comes to mind. Actually, any hive insect in general could work.

Kindness: Doe, lamb

Look at them! They don't have an unkind thought in the world.

Temperance: Squirrel

In autumn, squirrels store nuts for the winter so they won't starve. There's a metaphor to be made there about holding off your urge for immediate gratification in exchange for comfort afterwards.
@HinodeTsurugi

Found these on the wiki page for seven deadly sins:
Quote:
toad = avarice
snake = envy
lion = wrath
snail = sloth
pig = gluttony
goat = lust
peacock = pride

But with one change of my own:

Sparrows have metaphorically been used to refer to the common, licentious folk, due to the bird's polygamous nature, so they'd fit for lust.

And as for the virtues:

Humility: Mouse/other prey animal

Not really sure how I thought of this one. Just the idea of a small prey animal, possibly accepting its role in the food chain of being eaten by larger animals, that seems humble to me.

Charity: Chicken

A bit of an odd choice, but hear me out. Chickens have been known to raise the young of other animals, such as cats, dogs, ducks etc. Plus, dominant roosters, when they discover a tasty morsel, will call for his hens to come over and eat it instead of taking it for himself.

Patience: Wolf

Based off their hunting technique: Wolves hunt by loping alongside their prey until it collapses from exhaustion.

Purity: Dove, albatross

Doves, with their white feathers, are the traditional symbol of purity and innocence.

On the other hand, albatrosses are known to mate for life; the complete opposite of lust.

Diligence: Bee

The term 'busy bee' comes to mind. Actually, any hive insect in general could work.

Kindness: Doe, lamb

Look at them! They don't have an unkind thought in the world.

Temperance: Squirrel

In autumn, squirrels store nuts for the winter so they won't starve. There's a metaphor to be made there about holding off your urge for immediate gratification in exchange for comfort afterwards.
jPVKqQU.pngAzELViA.pngDAD8oIi.png
@Ethiera

Couldn't respond till now ahh!

Thank you though these are all really cool suggestions! :)
@Ethiera

Couldn't respond till now ahh!

Thank you though these are all really cool suggestions! :)
Not much, but I’d suggest an axolotl for Greed, since they have a golden albino morph. For Lust, I’d suggest a dove, maybe even specifically a Zebra Dove. This is partially because of Prince’s “When Doves Cry,” and also because when I went to Hawai’i, there were a bunch of Zebra Doves making more Zebra Doves, so...

I second the chicken for Charity, by the way. I love non-conventional things :D

EDIT: Perhaps the starling or jay for Envy? They steal the food and nesting space of other birds.
Not much, but I’d suggest an axolotl for Greed, since they have a golden albino morph. For Lust, I’d suggest a dove, maybe even specifically a Zebra Dove. This is partially because of Prince’s “When Doves Cry,” and also because when I went to Hawai’i, there were a bunch of Zebra Doves making more Zebra Doves, so...

I second the chicken for Charity, by the way. I love non-conventional things :D

EDIT: Perhaps the starling or jay for Envy? They steal the food and nesting space of other birds.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@HinodeTsurugi

Pride -> Lion
Humility -> IDK
Greed -> Dragon; the whole pile of treasure hoarding thing really does it...
Charity -> I love that chicken idea...I honestly couldn't think of a charitable animal...you could maybe use Sheep, but the poor things are forced into charity (giving their wool) rather than being charitable of their own accord.
Wrath -> I honestly start to think of the dragon first....but some kind of snake could work too.
Patience -> IDk; maybe a spider that waits super patiently for it's prey
Lust -> Satyr; look up anything about Satyr's and you'll get it lol
Purity -> Unicorn
Sloth -> uh....well, honestly - I think of a sloth. Can't get past that being the same word. *shrugs*
Diligence -> Bee was a good one
Envy -> Gorgons (medusa was one of the three Gorgon sisters)
Kindness -> I like the idea of a doe; they are super
Gluttony -> Pigs; they will literally eat anything you slop in front of them.
Temperance -> IDK
@HinodeTsurugi

Pride -> Lion
Humility -> IDK
Greed -> Dragon; the whole pile of treasure hoarding thing really does it...
Charity -> I love that chicken idea...I honestly couldn't think of a charitable animal...you could maybe use Sheep, but the poor things are forced into charity (giving their wool) rather than being charitable of their own accord.
Wrath -> I honestly start to think of the dragon first....but some kind of snake could work too.
Patience -> IDk; maybe a spider that waits super patiently for it's prey
Lust -> Satyr; look up anything about Satyr's and you'll get it lol
Purity -> Unicorn
Sloth -> uh....well, honestly - I think of a sloth. Can't get past that being the same word. *shrugs*
Diligence -> Bee was a good one
Envy -> Gorgons (medusa was one of the three Gorgon sisters)
Kindness -> I like the idea of a doe; they are super
Gluttony -> Pigs; they will literally eat anything you slop in front of them.
Temperance -> IDK
Wind-Network.png
@RabidWhovian @NovaDrakkon

All great suggestions I'll write them in! :D
@RabidWhovian @NovaDrakkon

All great suggestions I'll write them in! :D
Pride = Lion or peacock
Humility = Rabbit or mouse
Greed = Dragon or vulture
Charity = Deer
Wrath = Tasmanian devil
Patience = Turtle or tortoise
Lust = Foxes because of the term vixen. Also rabbits because of "breeding like rabbits." Or a cat
Purity = Unicorn
Sloth = Sloth :P or a snail
Diligence = Some sort of large plow horse, donkey, or a bull (stubborn) Or maybe an ant.
Envy = Snake
Kindness = Lamb
Gluttony = Whales, pigs, cows, basically anything that's an insult for fat people
Temperance = Camel because they can go a long time without water
Pride = Lion or peacock
Humility = Rabbit or mouse
Greed = Dragon or vulture
Charity = Deer
Wrath = Tasmanian devil
Patience = Turtle or tortoise
Lust = Foxes because of the term vixen. Also rabbits because of "breeding like rabbits." Or a cat
Purity = Unicorn
Sloth = Sloth :P or a snail
Diligence = Some sort of large plow horse, donkey, or a bull (stubborn) Or maybe an ant.
Envy = Snake
Kindness = Lamb
Gluttony = Whales, pigs, cows, basically anything that's an insult for fat people
Temperance = Camel because they can go a long time without water
@AboveClouds

Writing these in thank you! :D
@AboveClouds

Writing these in thank you! :D
bump
bump
I went asking on another petsite (furvilla), and here's the results (including the ones suggested in this thread). Let me know if you want some explanations behind some of the animals, there were a lot of suggestions ^^"

Quote:
Pride- lion, peacock, bowerbird, penguin, fox, flamingo, chihuahua, frilled lizard, rooster, falcon, wolf, eagle,
Humility- mouse, rabbit, deer, sheep, dove, bumblebee, ant, dung beetle, praying mantis, Japanese honeybee, worm, vulture, horse, armadillo
Greed- dragon, vulture, axolotl, toad, racoon, hyena, crocodile, hippo, bowerbird, hamster, mosquito, raven, rat, bever,
Charity- chicken, sheep, deer, orangutan, elephant, capybara, turkey vulture, rabbit, crow, dove, chimpanzee,
Wrath- lion, dragon, snake, Tasmanian devil, rooster, leopard, shark, tiger, honey badger, moose, chimpanzee, bullet ant, hippo, rhinoceros,
Patience- wolf, spider, turtle, tortoise, ox, crocodile, cat, weasel, cow, dog, wooly bear caterpillar, tuatara, spider, duck,
Lust- goat, sparrow, zebra dove, satyr, fox, cat, chimpanzees, dolphins, cat, snake, horse, rabbit, ferret, seagull. crane,
Purity- dove, albatross, unicorn, snowy owl, dolphin, swan, white buffalo, dog, humpback whale, worker ant, deer, cheetah, otter,
Sloth- snail, sloth, grasshopper, cat, cuckoo, lion, turtle, tortoise,
Diligence- bee, some sort of large plow horse, donkey, bull, ant, owl, hawk, skunk, termite, cerberus, prairie dog, meerkat, hummingbird, dog, cat,
Envy- snake, starling, jay, Gorgon, western dragon, lyrebird, photuris firefly, chameleon, octopus, coyote, fox, possum,
Kindness- doe, lamb, wolves, whales, elephant, kitten, cleaner wrasse, capybara, dolphin, kangaroo, red panda,
Gluttony- pig, whale, cow, goat, snake, tiger salamander, horse, bear, frog,
Temperance- squirrel, camel, monkey, horse, ox, cow, sheep, octopus, cleaner wrasse, salmon, donkey, penguin, lynx, skink,
I went asking on another petsite (furvilla), and here's the results (including the ones suggested in this thread). Let me know if you want some explanations behind some of the animals, there were a lot of suggestions ^^"

Quote:
Pride- lion, peacock, bowerbird, penguin, fox, flamingo, chihuahua, frilled lizard, rooster, falcon, wolf, eagle,
Humility- mouse, rabbit, deer, sheep, dove, bumblebee, ant, dung beetle, praying mantis, Japanese honeybee, worm, vulture, horse, armadillo
Greed- dragon, vulture, axolotl, toad, racoon, hyena, crocodile, hippo, bowerbird, hamster, mosquito, raven, rat, bever,
Charity- chicken, sheep, deer, orangutan, elephant, capybara, turkey vulture, rabbit, crow, dove, chimpanzee,
Wrath- lion, dragon, snake, Tasmanian devil, rooster, leopard, shark, tiger, honey badger, moose, chimpanzee, bullet ant, hippo, rhinoceros,
Patience- wolf, spider, turtle, tortoise, ox, crocodile, cat, weasel, cow, dog, wooly bear caterpillar, tuatara, spider, duck,
Lust- goat, sparrow, zebra dove, satyr, fox, cat, chimpanzees, dolphins, cat, snake, horse, rabbit, ferret, seagull. crane,
Purity- dove, albatross, unicorn, snowy owl, dolphin, swan, white buffalo, dog, humpback whale, worker ant, deer, cheetah, otter,
Sloth- snail, sloth, grasshopper, cat, cuckoo, lion, turtle, tortoise,
Diligence- bee, some sort of large plow horse, donkey, bull, ant, owl, hawk, skunk, termite, cerberus, prairie dog, meerkat, hummingbird, dog, cat,
Envy- snake, starling, jay, Gorgon, western dragon, lyrebird, photuris firefly, chameleon, octopus, coyote, fox, possum,
Kindness- doe, lamb, wolves, whales, elephant, kitten, cleaner wrasse, capybara, dolphin, kangaroo, red panda,
Gluttony- pig, whale, cow, goat, snake, tiger salamander, horse, bear, frog,
Temperance- squirrel, camel, monkey, horse, ox, cow, sheep, octopus, cleaner wrasse, salmon, donkey, penguin, lynx, skink,
COT3Kxt.gif Etsy
1 2