Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Eth's 100 Scenes Challenge
Alternate headline: Eth decides to finish one writing prompt a day, disaster ensues.

Hi hello! In this poorly-formatted thread, I'll be posting my results for Windstrike's 100 Scenes Challenge: FR Edition! I don't have a big hub where I can store all my lore yet, but most of it can be gleaned from my pieces or from the respective dragons' bios.

Here are my self-imposed rules, because if I wasn't shooting myself in the foot before, I sure am now:
  • Prompts will be chosen by RNG. Therefore, they'll all be out of order. It's funner this way I swear.
  • Aim to finish 1 prompt a day, unless real life gets in the way.
  • 500 words good, 1000 words better.
  • Where possible, use a different dragon for every prompt (not as strict).

If you like what you see, feel free to critique or comment in the thread itself!
Alternate headline: Eth decides to finish one writing prompt a day, disaster ensues.

Hi hello! In this poorly-formatted thread, I'll be posting my results for Windstrike's 100 Scenes Challenge: FR Edition! I don't have a big hub where I can store all my lore yet, but most of it can be gleaned from my pieces or from the respective dragons' bios.

Here are my self-imposed rules, because if I wasn't shooting myself in the foot before, I sure am now:
  • Prompts will be chosen by RNG. Therefore, they'll all be out of order. It's funner this way I swear.
  • Aim to finish 1 prompt a day, unless real life gets in the way.
  • 500 words good, 1000 words better.
  • Where possible, use a different dragon for every prompt (not as strict).

If you like what you see, feel free to critique or comment in the thread itself!
jPVKqQU.pngAzELViA.pngDAD8oIi.png
Table of Contents

Prompt #1: Describe a dragon’s reaction to getting rejected.

Prompt #6: Describe how your clan was founded.

Prompt #20: Describe the daily routine of one of your dragons. Trigger warning: Severe butchering of legal process

Prompt #26: Describe the time when a Beastclan tribe is spotted on your clan’s territory.

Prompt #33: Describe how exaltation of dragons works in your clan.

Prompt #49: Describe the first time a Coliseum trainer/warrior dragon picked up their weapon(s).

Prompt #98: "Easy peasy."

Tomorrow's prompt: Prompt #27: Describe how your dragons would react when a Beastclan tribe member comes to your clan holding a white flag of truce.
Table of Contents

Prompt #20: Describe the daily routine of one of your dragons. Trigger warning: Severe butchering of legal process

Prompt #26: Describe the time when a Beastclan tribe is spotted on your clan’s territory.

Prompt #49: Describe the first time a Coliseum trainer/warrior dragon picked up their weapon(s).

Tomorrow's prompt: Prompt #27: Describe how your dragons would react when a Beastclan tribe member comes to your clan holding a white flag of truce.
April 26, 2018

Word count: 1120

Main cast: Pheo, Zephrys

Side cast: Quick, Levante, Kraatos

"What is it?"

"It's a sword, champ."

The little Wildclaw hatchling wrapped his talons around the hilt. It was almost as long as he was tall.

"What does it do?"

"So full of questions, Pheo! Well, I can't really give you a straight answer. You can do lots of things with a sword."

Pheo breathed in, dug his feet into the ground, and pulled as hard as he could. The sword swung out in a wide arc before clanging back to earth. His father, luckily, was standing far out of the danger zone.

"It's heavy!"

Quick laughed. "Oh, I can see that! But when you grow into a big dragon, it won't be so heavy any more."

"I wanna be a big dragon
now!"

"All in good time, son."

"PHEO. Focus."

The Black Knight shook his head, blinked, and dove to the side as a Kamaitachi swiped at him with its deadly daggers. Somewhere behind him, Levante perched on top of her tank of a mate, monotoning at him and generally being unhelpful.

"You're unusually out of focus today. Is something on your mind."

Pheo slapped his opponent with his tail, stunning it. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw two of its companions closing in with a flanking manoeuvre. His talons reached for his sword, still sheathed on his belt.

"Oh, the usual. Just mentally planning your daughter's next lessons."

The first Kamaitachi darted at him. Pheo feinted a claw slash, then in one smooth move, whipped out his sword and cleaved the little vermin in half. The other two screamed and rushed him.

"Well, mentally plan some other time. We are in the middle of the Mire."

"Thanks, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise."

A Kamaitachi tossed its dagger at his eye. Pheo turned his head, and it clanged off his helmet. He threw his own sword back. It didn't miss.

Just before he could finish off the last one, a gigantic green talon slammed down, obliterating it. Kraatos had deigned to join the battle at last.

"Enough." Levante hopped down from her mate's back and picked through the corpses, flinging away bent or bloody daggers. Eventually, she picked up a clean, new blade. "This one will do. Let's get out of here."

The three dragons unfurled their wings and took off, heading back to the clan they called home: Caer Ventus.

"Slash. Parry. Thrust. Just remember these basic techniques, and you'll survive any battle."

Pheo swung his sword, completely missing the target dummy. He snarled. "It's not working! I'll never be as good as you."

Quick placed a gentle talon on his son's sword arm, correcting his grip on the hilt. "Yes, it does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it? But no master ever got there overnight. I've been watching you every day, and I can say without a doubt that you're getting better. Every swing is better than the last. Do you trust me, Pheo?"

"Of course, father."

"Then trust me when I tell you this: You have the makings of a great warrior. I can see it in your eyes."

"Good morning, Zephrys."

The timid little Fae looked up from where she and her Steam Gyre familiar were playing. "Oh! Hello, Pheo."

"Your mother thinks you're ready to move on to the next stage of your training." The Wildclaw tossed her the forged Kamaitachi dagger, refitted with a cross-guard better suited to a dragon's grip.

Zephrys flinched. The blade sailed clear over her head and clanged on the floor behind her. "But it's so sharp and scary. What if I cut myself."

"You can't always rely on Breath attacks," Pheo said, with the patience of a thousand saints. "Besides, it's Levante's idea, not mine. Come on. Let's say...one hour, then you can have the rest of the day off."

Zephrys's crest rose. She crept over and two-finger lifted the edge of the hilt. "Okay. But I'll probably be really bad at it."

"No master ever got there overnight," Pheo replied, leading her out into the clan's courtyard.

"Use your momentum to drive your next strike. Swordfighting is a lot like dancing; you see lots of dancers at the festivals, don't you? Mimic their movements. For now, don't think about any of the fancy terminology. Focus on hitting the target."

Somehow, even this little butter knife of a blade was giving Zephrys problems. She did a motion that looked more like a somersault than a lunge, and needless to say, completely missed her mark.

"I can't do it! Mother was wrong. I'll never be good for any fighting. Please don't waste any more time on me." She dropped the dagger and flapped off back to the familiarity of her Steam Gyre.

Pheo stepped forward and blocked her with his wing. "Hold it. Before you go, I need to give you your performance report."

Zephrys quailed. A performance report almost always meant another lecture from Levante.

"So here's my honest opinion: Today was an absolute bust."

The Fae sighed.

"But, that's really a good thing in disguise."

She perked back up, half-wary, half-hopeful.

"See, I was watching you the entire time, and while you missed every blow, you got closer to the target with every swing."

"But I didn't hit the dummy."

"Yes, but let me tell you a secret. Did you know it took me three days to get past the training dummy?"

"No way. You're the Black Knight. Mother pays you to stay."

"Well, whether you believe me or not, it's still true. Just by looking at you today, I think you might be able to master it in two."

"Really." Zephrys's voice was devoid of inflection, but her eyes brimmed with hope.

"Of course. But you know, if you were to try again now, I bet you could do it in one."

The dagger was back in her talons before he could even blink. In the next heartbeat, she was swinging at the dummy again.
"A sword is just a tool. An extension of your will. You can be a force for great good, or simply a force of mindless destruction."

Oh, his father said lots of other things, of course, before he and the rest of his old clan were wiped from existence. But this one stuck with him the most.

This sword of his had seen everything, from the senseless murder of his mercenary days, to the slaughter of vermin while a certain Fae yelled at him from the sidelines. Yet somehow, he had never thought of his father's follow-up question until this day.
"So...which one are you?"

As Pheo watched Zephrys slash at the dummy, growing bolder and more focused with every strike, he realised he already knew his answer.
April 26, 2018

Word count: 1120

Main cast: Pheo, Zephrys

Side cast: Quick, Levante, Kraatos

"What is it?"

"It's a sword, champ."

The little Wildclaw hatchling wrapped his talons around the hilt. It was almost as long as he was tall.

"What does it do?"

"So full of questions, Pheo! Well, I can't really give you a straight answer. You can do lots of things with a sword."

Pheo breathed in, dug his feet into the ground, and pulled as hard as he could. The sword swung out in a wide arc before clanging back to earth. His father, luckily, was standing far out of the danger zone.

"It's heavy!"

Quick laughed. "Oh, I can see that! But when you grow into a big dragon, it won't be so heavy any more."

"I wanna be a big dragon
now!"

"All in good time, son."

"PHEO. Focus."

The Black Knight shook his head, blinked, and dove to the side as a Kamaitachi swiped at him with its deadly daggers. Somewhere behind him, Levante perched on top of her tank of a mate, monotoning at him and generally being unhelpful.

"You're unusually out of focus today. Is something on your mind."

Pheo slapped his opponent with his tail, stunning it. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw two of its companions closing in with a flanking manoeuvre. His talons reached for his sword, still sheathed on his belt.

"Oh, the usual. Just mentally planning your daughter's next lessons."

The first Kamaitachi darted at him. Pheo feinted a claw slash, then in one smooth move, whipped out his sword and cleaved the little vermin in half. The other two screamed and rushed him.

"Well, mentally plan some other time. We are in the middle of the Mire."

"Thanks, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise."

A Kamaitachi tossed its dagger at his eye. Pheo turned his head, and it clanged off his helmet. He threw his own sword back. It didn't miss.

Just before he could finish off the last one, a gigantic green talon slammed down, obliterating it. Kraatos had deigned to join the battle at last.

"Enough." Levante hopped down from her mate's back and picked through the corpses, flinging away bent or bloody daggers. Eventually, she picked up a clean, new blade. "This one will do. Let's get out of here."

The three dragons unfurled their wings and took off, heading back to the clan they called home: Caer Ventus.

"Slash. Parry. Thrust. Just remember these basic techniques, and you'll survive any battle."

Pheo swung his sword, completely missing the target dummy. He snarled. "It's not working! I'll never be as good as you."

Quick placed a gentle talon on his son's sword arm, correcting his grip on the hilt. "Yes, it does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it? But no master ever got there overnight. I've been watching you every day, and I can say without a doubt that you're getting better. Every swing is better than the last. Do you trust me, Pheo?"

"Of course, father."

"Then trust me when I tell you this: You have the makings of a great warrior. I can see it in your eyes."

"Good morning, Zephrys."

The timid little Fae looked up from where she and her Steam Gyre familiar were playing. "Oh! Hello, Pheo."

"Your mother thinks you're ready to move on to the next stage of your training." The Wildclaw tossed her the forged Kamaitachi dagger, refitted with a cross-guard better suited to a dragon's grip.

Zephrys flinched. The blade sailed clear over her head and clanged on the floor behind her. "But it's so sharp and scary. What if I cut myself."

"You can't always rely on Breath attacks," Pheo said, with the patience of a thousand saints. "Besides, it's Levante's idea, not mine. Come on. Let's say...one hour, then you can have the rest of the day off."

Zephrys's crest rose. She crept over and two-finger lifted the edge of the hilt. "Okay. But I'll probably be really bad at it."

"No master ever got there overnight," Pheo replied, leading her out into the clan's courtyard.

"Use your momentum to drive your next strike. Swordfighting is a lot like dancing; you see lots of dancers at the festivals, don't you? Mimic their movements. For now, don't think about any of the fancy terminology. Focus on hitting the target."

Somehow, even this little butter knife of a blade was giving Zephrys problems. She did a motion that looked more like a somersault than a lunge, and needless to say, completely missed her mark.

"I can't do it! Mother was wrong. I'll never be good for any fighting. Please don't waste any more time on me." She dropped the dagger and flapped off back to the familiarity of her Steam Gyre.

Pheo stepped forward and blocked her with his wing. "Hold it. Before you go, I need to give you your performance report."

Zephrys quailed. A performance report almost always meant another lecture from Levante.

"So here's my honest opinion: Today was an absolute bust."

The Fae sighed.

"But, that's really a good thing in disguise."

She perked back up, half-wary, half-hopeful.

"See, I was watching you the entire time, and while you missed every blow, you got closer to the target with every swing."

"But I didn't hit the dummy."

"Yes, but let me tell you a secret. Did you know it took me three days to get past the training dummy?"

"No way. You're the Black Knight. Mother pays you to stay."

"Well, whether you believe me or not, it's still true. Just by looking at you today, I think you might be able to master it in two."

"Really." Zephrys's voice was devoid of inflection, but her eyes brimmed with hope.

"Of course. But you know, if you were to try again now, I bet you could do it in one."

The dagger was back in her talons before he could even blink. In the next heartbeat, she was swinging at the dummy again.
"A sword is just a tool. An extension of your will. You can be a force for great good, or simply a force of mindless destruction."

Oh, his father said lots of other things, of course, before he and the rest of his old clan were wiped from existence. But this one stuck with him the most.

This sword of his had seen everything, from the senseless murder of his mercenary days, to the slaughter of vermin while a certain Fae yelled at him from the sidelines. Yet somehow, he had never thought of his father's follow-up question until this day.
"So...which one are you?"

As Pheo watched Zephrys slash at the dummy, growing bolder and more focused with every strike, he realised he already knew his answer.
April 27, 2018

Word count: 1825

Main cast: Amalthea, Mosrael

Side cast: Cirrus, Eostre

Hatchlings: The hatchlings don't actually exist, but lore-wise, they are children of existing pairs in the Skyline Clan. For example, Fausti is the child of Asmodeus and Iseult.

"I need some help!" Amalthea hollered.

Her screech roused the drowsy Skyline Clan. Skydancers emerged, bleary-eyed, from the bamboo huts built in a circle around the camp; some curious, others annoyed by the rude awakening.

Cirrus emerged from the largest hut, her crest feathers still bent from sleeping on one side. "Hullo, dear. You're up early. How may we help?"

"I have a conference to attend this morning," the hatchling caretaker declared. "The Early Hatchlinghood Carers Anonymous will be discussing how best to handle Egg Rot. Can't miss it."

"Why, that sounds wonderful!"

"But the hatchlings in the nursery...they'll be alone for a good two hours."

"Oh dear! Well...don't you worry about a thing! You go off to your conference, and I'll see who I can shuffle in to take over nursery duty..."

"I can do it!"

The two Skydancers turned in unison. Standing in the clearing with his talon raised high was Mosrael, surrounded by his usual retinue of birds.

Amalthea face-taloned. "Please tell me you're joking."

"Absolutely serious, ma'am! I've always wanted to try hatchling caretaking."

Cirrus swept over to him and tenderly preened his crest. "Don't be like that, Amalthea. I'm sure Mosrael will be up to the task! If he should run into any trouble, there's plenty of other clanmates in camp who could help him out."

"With all due respect, Cirrus, I'd like to try this one by myself. I’ve been a Skyline dragon since the beginning; I’d like to start earning my keep around here.”

“The only keep you need is to keep away from those hatchlings,” Amalthea muttered. “Those youngsters are savages. They’d tear a fragile thing like you to shreds.”

“Oh dear, would you look at the time!” Cirrus cried.

Amalthea looked over at the sundial on the edge of the camp, paled, and took flight, rushing off somewhere to the east.

The clan leader watched her until she was out of sight, then winked at Mosrael. “My my, it seems as if no one else is available! Such a shame. I suppose you’ll have to do, dear. If you need me, you know where to look.”

Mosrael’s face lit up. “Thank you! I won’t let you down!” He set off at a trot into the nursery, followed by three of his bird friends.

No problem. It’s only for two hours! How bad could three hatchlings be? Easy peasy.

Nyomi was bored, and when a Skydancer hatchling gets bored, they get super cranky.

“When is Amalea coming back?” she whined, clawing up her sleeping nest to demonstrate her displeasure.

“Don’t ask me, stupid.” Adelrim growled. As the only Nocturne in the nursery, he was constantly struggling to fit his bulkier form into his nest, and at the moment, his legs had spilled out onto the playmat.

“I wasn’t talking to you, dummy. And don’t call me stupid!”

“Hey, don’t call me dummy!”

“You started it!”

“No, you!”

Nyomi pounced on him just as an unfamiliar big Skydancer walked into the nursery.

“Hey! Hey! Stop it!” Big Skydancer snatched her up by the scruff. “Play nice, will you?”

She kicked her feet in the air, trying and failing to free herself. “But he started it!”

“It doesn’t matter who started it, you have to be the one to stop it. Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, you know?”

Brutum Fulmen,” said the black-eyed hatchling sitting silently in the corner.

“See? Even Fausti agrees with me.”

Nyomi sulked. “Fiiiiine. Can I come down now?”

Big Skydancer set her down. Adelrim stuck his forked tongue out at her.

“Hey, who are you, anyways?”

“I’m Mosrael!” Big Skydancer declared. Nyomi liked her own name for him better. “Amalthea’ll be out for the next two hours, so I’ll be looking after you guys until she gets back.”

“You look waaaaay smaller than Amalea,” Adelrim remarked. “Hey, mister! Are you sure you’re not supposed to be in here with us?”

Nyomi burst out laughing. Big Skydancer’s crest fell, which only made her laugh even harder.

“Hey! That wasn’t very nice!” Big Skydancer took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “Look, I can see you’re all bored, so, who wants to play a game?”

“Oooh! Oooh! Me!” The two accomplices chorused.

Carthago delenda est,” Fausti said.

“Great! Okay, this game is called ‘Who can stay quiet the longest’...”

“Wow, Amalea loves that one!”

“...and the winner gets to play with Amaranth here!” Big Skydancer gestured to a fat red bird sitting on his shoulder.

“That’s a terrible prize,” Adelrim said.

“Aaand you’re out!”

The Nocturne growled. “No fair! You didn’t tell us the game had started.”

“My game, my rules. Now let’s see which one of you ladies wins the bird!”

“Yeah, but Amalea always gives us a mealworm cookie when she plays this. Your prize stinks.”

“Ah-ah-ah, you can’t talk when you’re out!”

Corvus oculum corvi non eruit,” Fausti said.

“Aaand you’re out! Looks like you’re the winner, Nyomi.”

“Oh boy.” Nyomi said, with as little enthusiasm as possible. She sat down on the playmat, and Big Skydancer carefully picked up his bird and placed it at her feet. It twittered happily and started to preen itself.

“What does it do?” Nyomi asked.

“She’s a Red Percher! They’re popular companion birds across Sornieth, content to sit on your shoulder all day. They aren’t cheap, either, which makes them something of a status symbol among fellow bird connoisseurs like mys--”

“Yeah, but what does it do?”

“Well...she could delouse you if you picked up any bugs from playing? And she makes an excellent listener when the world’s got you bogged down!”

“Laaaame.”

Cui bono,” Fausti said.

“Hey Nyomi,” Adelrim said, “you should eat it.”

Nyomi’s eyes lit up. Big Skydancer flinched like he’d been stung. “No, wait, Perchers aren’t bred to be eate--”

Snap! Amaranth disappeared between two rows of sharp teeth.

"Noooooo!" Big Skydancer lunged forward and tackled Nyomi, sending bedding material flying. "Spit her out! Right now! Spit her--"

"You should see your face!" Nyomi laughed, spitting the bird out whole and unharmed.

Big Skydancer apparently didn't find this as funny as she did. He cupped Amaranth softly in two talons, blubbering like a newly-hatched, licking the spit out of her feathers. "You're all too much!" he choked, his eyes shimmering with emerging tears. He turned and swept out of the nursery, letting the door slam behind him.

A rare silence permeated the room.

"Uh oh," Adelrim said, "Amalea's gonna kill us."

"Did I go too far?" Nyomi asked.

"Auribus teneo lupum," Fausti said.

"Yeah, okay, maaaaaaybe eating the crazy bird-kissers's favourite bird wasn't a good idea."

"Maybe? More like absolutely definitely yes!"

"It was your idea, dummy!"

"Don't call me dum--"

"Forget about that! We need to think of a way to make it up to him, or Amalea's gonna ground us for weeks."

"What's your plan, then?"

"I'm thinking, okay? Give me more time."

Nyomi thought as hard as her little brain could. All her gears were turning, honest! But just before she could come up with a plan, a new Skydancer with a weird hat popped her head into the nursery.

"Hey, everything okay in here? I saw Mosrael storm out. I think he was crying for some reason? What's up with that?"

Nyomi opened her mouth to speak, carefully choosing her limited vocabulary to be as diplomatic as possible.

"Nyomi pretended to eat his pet bird and now he's mad and he's gonna tell on Amalea and Amalea's gonna kill us!" Adelrim blurted out.

Weird Hat Skydancer arched an eyebrow. "Wow. And you did all that in 10 minutes? I wasn't even half that good when I was your age."

"Please help us," Nyomi pleaded. "We just wanted to have some fun. We didn't know he'd get all mad and stuff."

"Not to worry, little ones, Auntie Eostre's here to save the day! Now, here's what you have to do..."

"Impressive," Amalthea said to herself, as she came to a landing in the heart of the camp. "The nursery isn't even the least bit on fire."

She pushed open the door to peer inside, then popped back out seconds later. "MOSRAEL! Get over here!"

The black-and-blue Skydancer scrambled out from behind a building. "I'm sorry! I tried that game you always do and I thought it went well but then Nyomi tried to eat my bird and ohmyWindsinger--"

"What are you blabbering on about? Look at this!" Amalthea threw the door open to reveal the three hatchlings laying sound asleep in their nests. "You actually got them to take a nap! Before noon!"

"I...uh--what?"

Nyomi stirred, opened her eyes, and yawned. "Hi, Amalea!"

"Amalthea," Amalthea corrected. "Hello again, little one. Did Uncle Mosrael do a good job?"

"He was great!" Mosrael's jaw dropped. "We played 'Who can stay quiet the longest' and then we sang songs and ate mealworm cookies and then he taught us all about birds! Can we get a Percher to play with? I want a Percher!"

"Of course, sweetie. I'll talk to Cirrus about getting you a Percher friend. Well, Mosrael, colour me impressed. You did much better than the worst it could have possibly gone."

"Uhhh...I..."

Eostre strolled by and closed Mosrael's jaw with her talon. "They're precocious little things, aren't they? It's almost like they're trying to make it up to you for something!"

Mosrael blinked, but to his credit, he caught her drift almost immediately. "Oh! Yes! Absolutely. Well, Amalthea, it was fun and all, but I think it's best to leave them in your capable claws."

"Aww!" whined Adelrim, who had apparently been woken by all the commotion as well. "But you'll come visit us, right? Once or twice a week? Pleeeaaaase?"

"Of course! And maybe next time, we can learn all about Peace Doves!"

“Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,” Fausti said, from where she was hovering two inches above her nest.

Amalthea slipped into the nursery and began to close the door behind her. "Come back any time! Now then, who wants to play 'Ring around the Wyrmwound'?"

"Oooh! Oooh! Me!" The hatchlings' squeals faded out as the nursery door closed.

As soon as he knew they were out of earshot, Mosrael exhaled all his tension. "Wow! What kind of Ice magic did you use to make them say that?"

"It's called the power of words, Mos. And playing on emotions; only a bit though. They're good dragons, you know. Just too playful."

"Can you believe I thought this would be 'easy peasy' at first? I want to go back and slap past-me so hard."

"Look on the bright side, you got to meet your daughter."

Mosrael froze. "My WHAT?"

"Yeah! That Nyomi girl? She's yours and Khthonios's. What, you didn't recognise her?"

"I'm not really in the habit of looking at...oh Windsinger...that's my hatchling?"

"You need to talk to your mate more, Mos."

"I think I need to go lie down for a bit."
April 27, 2018

Word count: 1825

Main cast: Amalthea, Mosrael

Side cast: Cirrus, Eostre

Hatchlings: The hatchlings don't actually exist, but lore-wise, they are children of existing pairs in the Skyline Clan. For example, Fausti is the child of Asmodeus and Iseult.

"I need some help!" Amalthea hollered.

Her screech roused the drowsy Skyline Clan. Skydancers emerged, bleary-eyed, from the bamboo huts built in a circle around the camp; some curious, others annoyed by the rude awakening.

Cirrus emerged from the largest hut, her crest feathers still bent from sleeping on one side. "Hullo, dear. You're up early. How may we help?"

"I have a conference to attend this morning," the hatchling caretaker declared. "The Early Hatchlinghood Carers Anonymous will be discussing how best to handle Egg Rot. Can't miss it."

"Why, that sounds wonderful!"

"But the hatchlings in the nursery...they'll be alone for a good two hours."

"Oh dear! Well...don't you worry about a thing! You go off to your conference, and I'll see who I can shuffle in to take over nursery duty..."

"I can do it!"

The two Skydancers turned in unison. Standing in the clearing with his talon raised high was Mosrael, surrounded by his usual retinue of birds.

Amalthea face-taloned. "Please tell me you're joking."

"Absolutely serious, ma'am! I've always wanted to try hatchling caretaking."

Cirrus swept over to him and tenderly preened his crest. "Don't be like that, Amalthea. I'm sure Mosrael will be up to the task! If he should run into any trouble, there's plenty of other clanmates in camp who could help him out."

"With all due respect, Cirrus, I'd like to try this one by myself. I’ve been a Skyline dragon since the beginning; I’d like to start earning my keep around here.”

“The only keep you need is to keep away from those hatchlings,” Amalthea muttered. “Those youngsters are savages. They’d tear a fragile thing like you to shreds.”

“Oh dear, would you look at the time!” Cirrus cried.

Amalthea looked over at the sundial on the edge of the camp, paled, and took flight, rushing off somewhere to the east.

The clan leader watched her until she was out of sight, then winked at Mosrael. “My my, it seems as if no one else is available! Such a shame. I suppose you’ll have to do, dear. If you need me, you know where to look.”

Mosrael’s face lit up. “Thank you! I won’t let you down!” He set off at a trot into the nursery, followed by three of his bird friends.

No problem. It’s only for two hours! How bad could three hatchlings be? Easy peasy.

Nyomi was bored, and when a Skydancer hatchling gets bored, they get super cranky.

“When is Amalea coming back?” she whined, clawing up her sleeping nest to demonstrate her displeasure.

“Don’t ask me, stupid.” Adelrim growled. As the only Nocturne in the nursery, he was constantly struggling to fit his bulkier form into his nest, and at the moment, his legs had spilled out onto the playmat.

“I wasn’t talking to you, dummy. And don’t call me stupid!”

“Hey, don’t call me dummy!”

“You started it!”

“No, you!”

Nyomi pounced on him just as an unfamiliar big Skydancer walked into the nursery.

“Hey! Hey! Stop it!” Big Skydancer snatched her up by the scruff. “Play nice, will you?”

She kicked her feet in the air, trying and failing to free herself. “But he started it!”

“It doesn’t matter who started it, you have to be the one to stop it. Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, you know?”

Brutum Fulmen,” said the black-eyed hatchling sitting silently in the corner.

“See? Even Fausti agrees with me.”

Nyomi sulked. “Fiiiiine. Can I come down now?”

Big Skydancer set her down. Adelrim stuck his forked tongue out at her.

“Hey, who are you, anyways?”

“I’m Mosrael!” Big Skydancer declared. Nyomi liked her own name for him better. “Amalthea’ll be out for the next two hours, so I’ll be looking after you guys until she gets back.”

“You look waaaaay smaller than Amalea,” Adelrim remarked. “Hey, mister! Are you sure you’re not supposed to be in here with us?”

Nyomi burst out laughing. Big Skydancer’s crest fell, which only made her laugh even harder.

“Hey! That wasn’t very nice!” Big Skydancer took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “Look, I can see you’re all bored, so, who wants to play a game?”

“Oooh! Oooh! Me!” The two accomplices chorused.

Carthago delenda est,” Fausti said.

“Great! Okay, this game is called ‘Who can stay quiet the longest’...”

“Wow, Amalea loves that one!”

“...and the winner gets to play with Amaranth here!” Big Skydancer gestured to a fat red bird sitting on his shoulder.

“That’s a terrible prize,” Adelrim said.

“Aaand you’re out!”

The Nocturne growled. “No fair! You didn’t tell us the game had started.”

“My game, my rules. Now let’s see which one of you ladies wins the bird!”

“Yeah, but Amalea always gives us a mealworm cookie when she plays this. Your prize stinks.”

“Ah-ah-ah, you can’t talk when you’re out!”

Corvus oculum corvi non eruit,” Fausti said.

“Aaand you’re out! Looks like you’re the winner, Nyomi.”

“Oh boy.” Nyomi said, with as little enthusiasm as possible. She sat down on the playmat, and Big Skydancer carefully picked up his bird and placed it at her feet. It twittered happily and started to preen itself.

“What does it do?” Nyomi asked.

“She’s a Red Percher! They’re popular companion birds across Sornieth, content to sit on your shoulder all day. They aren’t cheap, either, which makes them something of a status symbol among fellow bird connoisseurs like mys--”

“Yeah, but what does it do?”

“Well...she could delouse you if you picked up any bugs from playing? And she makes an excellent listener when the world’s got you bogged down!”

“Laaaame.”

Cui bono,” Fausti said.

“Hey Nyomi,” Adelrim said, “you should eat it.”

Nyomi’s eyes lit up. Big Skydancer flinched like he’d been stung. “No, wait, Perchers aren’t bred to be eate--”

Snap! Amaranth disappeared between two rows of sharp teeth.

"Noooooo!" Big Skydancer lunged forward and tackled Nyomi, sending bedding material flying. "Spit her out! Right now! Spit her--"

"You should see your face!" Nyomi laughed, spitting the bird out whole and unharmed.

Big Skydancer apparently didn't find this as funny as she did. He cupped Amaranth softly in two talons, blubbering like a newly-hatched, licking the spit out of her feathers. "You're all too much!" he choked, his eyes shimmering with emerging tears. He turned and swept out of the nursery, letting the door slam behind him.

A rare silence permeated the room.

"Uh oh," Adelrim said, "Amalea's gonna kill us."

"Did I go too far?" Nyomi asked.

"Auribus teneo lupum," Fausti said.

"Yeah, okay, maaaaaaybe eating the crazy bird-kissers's favourite bird wasn't a good idea."

"Maybe? More like absolutely definitely yes!"

"It was your idea, dummy!"

"Don't call me dum--"

"Forget about that! We need to think of a way to make it up to him, or Amalea's gonna ground us for weeks."

"What's your plan, then?"

"I'm thinking, okay? Give me more time."

Nyomi thought as hard as her little brain could. All her gears were turning, honest! But just before she could come up with a plan, a new Skydancer with a weird hat popped her head into the nursery.

"Hey, everything okay in here? I saw Mosrael storm out. I think he was crying for some reason? What's up with that?"

Nyomi opened her mouth to speak, carefully choosing her limited vocabulary to be as diplomatic as possible.

"Nyomi pretended to eat his pet bird and now he's mad and he's gonna tell on Amalea and Amalea's gonna kill us!" Adelrim blurted out.

Weird Hat Skydancer arched an eyebrow. "Wow. And you did all that in 10 minutes? I wasn't even half that good when I was your age."

"Please help us," Nyomi pleaded. "We just wanted to have some fun. We didn't know he'd get all mad and stuff."

"Not to worry, little ones, Auntie Eostre's here to save the day! Now, here's what you have to do..."

"Impressive," Amalthea said to herself, as she came to a landing in the heart of the camp. "The nursery isn't even the least bit on fire."

She pushed open the door to peer inside, then popped back out seconds later. "MOSRAEL! Get over here!"

The black-and-blue Skydancer scrambled out from behind a building. "I'm sorry! I tried that game you always do and I thought it went well but then Nyomi tried to eat my bird and ohmyWindsinger--"

"What are you blabbering on about? Look at this!" Amalthea threw the door open to reveal the three hatchlings laying sound asleep in their nests. "You actually got them to take a nap! Before noon!"

"I...uh--what?"

Nyomi stirred, opened her eyes, and yawned. "Hi, Amalea!"

"Amalthea," Amalthea corrected. "Hello again, little one. Did Uncle Mosrael do a good job?"

"He was great!" Mosrael's jaw dropped. "We played 'Who can stay quiet the longest' and then we sang songs and ate mealworm cookies and then he taught us all about birds! Can we get a Percher to play with? I want a Percher!"

"Of course, sweetie. I'll talk to Cirrus about getting you a Percher friend. Well, Mosrael, colour me impressed. You did much better than the worst it could have possibly gone."

"Uhhh...I..."

Eostre strolled by and closed Mosrael's jaw with her talon. "They're precocious little things, aren't they? It's almost like they're trying to make it up to you for something!"

Mosrael blinked, but to his credit, he caught her drift almost immediately. "Oh! Yes! Absolutely. Well, Amalthea, it was fun and all, but I think it's best to leave them in your capable claws."

"Aww!" whined Adelrim, who had apparently been woken by all the commotion as well. "But you'll come visit us, right? Once or twice a week? Pleeeaaaase?"

"Of course! And maybe next time, we can learn all about Peace Doves!"

“Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,” Fausti said, from where she was hovering two inches above her nest.

Amalthea slipped into the nursery and began to close the door behind her. "Come back any time! Now then, who wants to play 'Ring around the Wyrmwound'?"

"Oooh! Oooh! Me!" The hatchlings' squeals faded out as the nursery door closed.

As soon as he knew they were out of earshot, Mosrael exhaled all his tension. "Wow! What kind of Ice magic did you use to make them say that?"

"It's called the power of words, Mos. And playing on emotions; only a bit though. They're good dragons, you know. Just too playful."

"Can you believe I thought this would be 'easy peasy' at first? I want to go back and slap past-me so hard."

"Look on the bright side, you got to meet your daughter."

Mosrael froze. "My WHAT?"

"Yeah! That Nyomi girl? She's yours and Khthonios's. What, you didn't recognise her?"

"I'm not really in the habit of looking at...oh Windsinger...that's my hatchling?"

"You need to talk to your mate more, Mos."

"I think I need to go lie down for a bit."
April 28, 2018

Word count: 1469

Main cast: Cirrus, Nimbus, Cumulus, Sacrosanct

"It's time," Cirrus whispered to herself.

The distant sounds of battle were soundtrack to the Skydancer as she crept through the empty corridors of Caer Ventus. Her footsteps echoed against packed earth walls, and with every patter, she tensed, as if expecting some dragon to jump out at her.

It was this wariness...this tension in what was supposed to be her clan, that had driven her decision. She and her fellow Skydancers were second-class citizens, pawns to be ordered around and sent to their deaths on the mere whims of a callous elite.

It wasn't easy to pack up and leave the only life they'd ever known. But now that they'd set their plan in motion, there was nothing to do but ride the wave.

Her colleagues were already waiting at the agreed-upon spot. They'd seen the signal, same as Cirrus. The Wind flight was losing the Battle for Windstar Bay.

"Do you have everything you need?" Cirrus asked.

Sacrosanct presented the large pouch in her claw. "Enough herbs and poultices to heal a garrison.”

Nimbus indicated his briefcase. “All my research, notes, and blueprints. Some copies of Greymalkin’s, too. Easily recreated once we’ve found our new home.”

Cumulus lifted his wing to reveal half a dozen bags strapped to his jacket. “Food, Breath potions, some botanical scrolls, and rose seeds.”

“Ever the botanist, eh, dear?” Cirrus laughed softly, then stifled herself. She needn’t have, really; almost all of Caer Ventus was out on the frontlines, trying to salvage the ongoing mess of a battle with Arcane. But the silence and emptiness compelled her, and silenced her, just as the Inner Circle had all those weeks ago.

“Alright. Let’s go.”

The four Skydancers moved at a canter, passing empty rooms, long stretches lit only by the occasional window. But a cry broke the silence; they froze, eyes wide, Breath building in their mouths, before Cirrus realised what it was.

“The nursery!”

She poked her head around the corner. Caer Ventus was in the business of adopting young dragons to train as the Windsinger’s future soldiers, so their nursery was appropriately vast. But the rows of beds were all empty, their inhabitants sent straight to the front lines the instant they could fly and hold a weapon.

All except one.

A single Skydancer hatchling lay in a cot, whining for food.

“Such a darling babe,” Cirrus cooed. Against Cumulus’s frantic gesturing, she stepped into the room and lifted the hatchling into her arms, preening his budding pin-feathers with her tongue. “They’ve left you behind, haven’t you? We know how you feel.”

“We’ve got to keep moving,” Nimbus hissed.

“Oh, but in a few weeks, when you’ve fledged, you’ll join the rest of these ill-fated babes in an endless bloody battle. And for what? The right to put ‘Wind’ at the forefront of a shared bay? But you don’t deserve that, do you?”

“If someone catches us here, we’re all dead!”

The hatchling beamed up at Cirrus, not understanding a single word she said. The older Skydancer’s heart broke.

“Leave him, let’s go!”

“Slight change of plans, dear.” Cirrus guided the hatchling onto her back, where he instinctively clung to her shoulder blades. “He’s coming with us.”

“Alright, great, I can live with that, now can we please leave?”

They closed the door behind them and took off at a run. Their window was almost closing.

Just as they got to the back exit, they heard the call, tolling across the Windswept Plateau like a death knell.

“The Arcane flight has dominated! Windstar Bay is lost!”

It was as if a ripple of confusion and anger had rocked the land. And in that moment, when every Wind clan was struck dumb by the news, the five Skydancers fled their clan and disappeared into the world.

They didn't know where they were headed, only that it was away from Levante and her clan.

The rogue Skydancers kept low, passing through patches of bamboo and weaving between cliffs. All around them were Wind clans still in denial of the news, in mourning for the loss, and struggling to come to terms with the victory. Far too busy to notice these dragons flying as far away from the western border as possible.

“The sun is setting,” Sacrosanct said. “We’ll have to make camp for the night.”

“We have to keep flying!” Cumulus retorted. “We haven’t covered nearly enough ground, and once Levante realises we’re gone, she’ll be out for blood.”

“But we couldn’t possibly navigate by moonlight!”

“Would you rather we get dragged back within the day?”

“My love, please...be sensible...”

“It’s Cirrus’s decision,” Nimbus cut in. “She’s the one who started all this, after all. What should we do?”

Cirrus was silent for a moment. She turned her head back to look at the little hatchling. He was clearly getting drowsy, and his grip on her neck was loosening ever so slightly.

“Sacrosanct’s right. Let’s make camp. But we fly again at first daylight.”

They spent the next two days on the wing, always finding secluded places to land and rest. A few leaves scraped together for nests, and that was all, and they always covered up their tracks afterwards. They caught insects on the wing and foraged for berries at sunset, always pushing themselves to cover a little more ground than the last leg.

They left the Reedcleft Ascent and crossed into the flat grasslands of the Zephyr Steppes; dotted with budding Wind clans and factions who revelled in the area’s famous peace and safety.

Still, as happy as these clans were, the five Skydancers were careful not to interact with any of them. Any dragon could be a spy or informant, and information could easily be bought with the right amount of treasure. While they did ask permission when they needed to stop within these territories, it was always Cirrus who went; with a little spark of her Arcane magic, it was as they were remembering a whole other dragon.

“At this rate, we’re going to have to leave Wind territory,” Cumulus grumbled, spotting the Ashfall Waste volcanos in the distance.

“No. We’re staying within the Plateau.” This was a land they knew; moving to a different flight entirely was a whole new ball game. “We simply need a good place to disappear.”

“Well, we’re not going to find it in the Steppes. You could see the Cloudsong from here.”

“How about that bamboo forest?” Sacrosanct indicated a dark mass in the distance.

“Hmm, we’ll need a closer look. It might be occupied.”

The Skydancers rode the afternoon thermals and glided onwards.

“Any signs of border markers?”

“Hard to tell from this height!”

“Alright. Let’s get a little lower, but stay on your guard.”

The five Skydancers found a gap in the trees and landed in a clearing, around the heart of the bamboo forest. There was nothing but tall green stalks in every direction, as far as the eye could see. A small stream murmured softly alongside the area, but otherwise the forest was silent.

Nimbus, Cumulus, and Sacrosanct fanned out. Cirrus stayed with the hatchling, picking some soft bamboo shoots for him to eat.

“Oh, my sweet darling, I know the journey’s been long and hard, but I feel that we’re almost at its end. We’re going to start a new clan, on our own terms: No more Inner Circles, no more systematic exaltation, no more warmongering. We come and go as we please, when we please. We, the native breed of the Windswept Plateau; we, the Windsinger’s children; we, who will live our lives in peace forever.”

The hatchling stared up at her, nibbling on his portion of bamboo. A bird fluttered by overhead; he reached his tiny claws out to grasp at it.

“Levante didn’t even give you a name, did she? Well, I think I know a good one. You awoke something in me, when I saw you. I think I’ll call you Mosrael, ‘the Waker’. It’s a lovely name, isn’t it?”

“No territory markers that I could find,” Cumulus said, emerging from between two bamboo stalks.

“None in my direction,” Sacrosanct added.

“No claims for at least a crow’s flight in any direction,” Nimbus said. “And I found plenty of little hidden corners obscured by the bamboo overhead; perfect to hide in if Levante’s cronies come looking.”

“That stream there is a great source of water.”

“And this area looks flat enough for a camp!”

“We could build huts out of all this bamboo!”

“And I saw plenty of bugs in the leaf litter, too.”

“Then it’s settled. This will be our new home.”

The Skydancers set down their belongings and got to work.

“And you’re certain that Levante won’t find us?”

"Nothing but endless skyline for miles around."

And so it would forever be.
April 28, 2018

Word count: 1469

Main cast: Cirrus, Nimbus, Cumulus, Sacrosanct

"It's time," Cirrus whispered to herself.

The distant sounds of battle were soundtrack to the Skydancer as she crept through the empty corridors of Caer Ventus. Her footsteps echoed against packed earth walls, and with every patter, she tensed, as if expecting some dragon to jump out at her.

It was this wariness...this tension in what was supposed to be her clan, that had driven her decision. She and her fellow Skydancers were second-class citizens, pawns to be ordered around and sent to their deaths on the mere whims of a callous elite.

It wasn't easy to pack up and leave the only life they'd ever known. But now that they'd set their plan in motion, there was nothing to do but ride the wave.

Her colleagues were already waiting at the agreed-upon spot. They'd seen the signal, same as Cirrus. The Wind flight was losing the Battle for Windstar Bay.

"Do you have everything you need?" Cirrus asked.

Sacrosanct presented the large pouch in her claw. "Enough herbs and poultices to heal a garrison.”

Nimbus indicated his briefcase. “All my research, notes, and blueprints. Some copies of Greymalkin’s, too. Easily recreated once we’ve found our new home.”

Cumulus lifted his wing to reveal half a dozen bags strapped to his jacket. “Food, Breath potions, some botanical scrolls, and rose seeds.”

“Ever the botanist, eh, dear?” Cirrus laughed softly, then stifled herself. She needn’t have, really; almost all of Caer Ventus was out on the frontlines, trying to salvage the ongoing mess of a battle with Arcane. But the silence and emptiness compelled her, and silenced her, just as the Inner Circle had all those weeks ago.

“Alright. Let’s go.”

The four Skydancers moved at a canter, passing empty rooms, long stretches lit only by the occasional window. But a cry broke the silence; they froze, eyes wide, Breath building in their mouths, before Cirrus realised what it was.

“The nursery!”

She poked her head around the corner. Caer Ventus was in the business of adopting young dragons to train as the Windsinger’s future soldiers, so their nursery was appropriately vast. But the rows of beds were all empty, their inhabitants sent straight to the front lines the instant they could fly and hold a weapon.

All except one.

A single Skydancer hatchling lay in a cot, whining for food.

“Such a darling babe,” Cirrus cooed. Against Cumulus’s frantic gesturing, she stepped into the room and lifted the hatchling into her arms, preening his budding pin-feathers with her tongue. “They’ve left you behind, haven’t you? We know how you feel.”

“We’ve got to keep moving,” Nimbus hissed.

“Oh, but in a few weeks, when you’ve fledged, you’ll join the rest of these ill-fated babes in an endless bloody battle. And for what? The right to put ‘Wind’ at the forefront of a shared bay? But you don’t deserve that, do you?”

“If someone catches us here, we’re all dead!”

The hatchling beamed up at Cirrus, not understanding a single word she said. The older Skydancer’s heart broke.

“Leave him, let’s go!”

“Slight change of plans, dear.” Cirrus guided the hatchling onto her back, where he instinctively clung to her shoulder blades. “He’s coming with us.”

“Alright, great, I can live with that, now can we please leave?”

They closed the door behind them and took off at a run. Their window was almost closing.

Just as they got to the back exit, they heard the call, tolling across the Windswept Plateau like a death knell.

“The Arcane flight has dominated! Windstar Bay is lost!”

It was as if a ripple of confusion and anger had rocked the land. And in that moment, when every Wind clan was struck dumb by the news, the five Skydancers fled their clan and disappeared into the world.

They didn't know where they were headed, only that it was away from Levante and her clan.

The rogue Skydancers kept low, passing through patches of bamboo and weaving between cliffs. All around them were Wind clans still in denial of the news, in mourning for the loss, and struggling to come to terms with the victory. Far too busy to notice these dragons flying as far away from the western border as possible.

“The sun is setting,” Sacrosanct said. “We’ll have to make camp for the night.”

“We have to keep flying!” Cumulus retorted. “We haven’t covered nearly enough ground, and once Levante realises we’re gone, she’ll be out for blood.”

“But we couldn’t possibly navigate by moonlight!”

“Would you rather we get dragged back within the day?”

“My love, please...be sensible...”

“It’s Cirrus’s decision,” Nimbus cut in. “She’s the one who started all this, after all. What should we do?”

Cirrus was silent for a moment. She turned her head back to look at the little hatchling. He was clearly getting drowsy, and his grip on her neck was loosening ever so slightly.

“Sacrosanct’s right. Let’s make camp. But we fly again at first daylight.”

They spent the next two days on the wing, always finding secluded places to land and rest. A few leaves scraped together for nests, and that was all, and they always covered up their tracks afterwards. They caught insects on the wing and foraged for berries at sunset, always pushing themselves to cover a little more ground than the last leg.

They left the Reedcleft Ascent and crossed into the flat grasslands of the Zephyr Steppes; dotted with budding Wind clans and factions who revelled in the area’s famous peace and safety.

Still, as happy as these clans were, the five Skydancers were careful not to interact with any of them. Any dragon could be a spy or informant, and information could easily be bought with the right amount of treasure. While they did ask permission when they needed to stop within these territories, it was always Cirrus who went; with a little spark of her Arcane magic, it was as they were remembering a whole other dragon.

“At this rate, we’re going to have to leave Wind territory,” Cumulus grumbled, spotting the Ashfall Waste volcanos in the distance.

“No. We’re staying within the Plateau.” This was a land they knew; moving to a different flight entirely was a whole new ball game. “We simply need a good place to disappear.”

“Well, we’re not going to find it in the Steppes. You could see the Cloudsong from here.”

“How about that bamboo forest?” Sacrosanct indicated a dark mass in the distance.

“Hmm, we’ll need a closer look. It might be occupied.”

The Skydancers rode the afternoon thermals and glided onwards.

“Any signs of border markers?”

“Hard to tell from this height!”

“Alright. Let’s get a little lower, but stay on your guard.”

The five Skydancers found a gap in the trees and landed in a clearing, around the heart of the bamboo forest. There was nothing but tall green stalks in every direction, as far as the eye could see. A small stream murmured softly alongside the area, but otherwise the forest was silent.

Nimbus, Cumulus, and Sacrosanct fanned out. Cirrus stayed with the hatchling, picking some soft bamboo shoots for him to eat.

“Oh, my sweet darling, I know the journey’s been long and hard, but I feel that we’re almost at its end. We’re going to start a new clan, on our own terms: No more Inner Circles, no more systematic exaltation, no more warmongering. We come and go as we please, when we please. We, the native breed of the Windswept Plateau; we, the Windsinger’s children; we, who will live our lives in peace forever.”

The hatchling stared up at her, nibbling on his portion of bamboo. A bird fluttered by overhead; he reached his tiny claws out to grasp at it.

“Levante didn’t even give you a name, did she? Well, I think I know a good one. You awoke something in me, when I saw you. I think I’ll call you Mosrael, ‘the Waker’. It’s a lovely name, isn’t it?”

“No territory markers that I could find,” Cumulus said, emerging from between two bamboo stalks.

“None in my direction,” Sacrosanct added.

“No claims for at least a crow’s flight in any direction,” Nimbus said. “And I found plenty of little hidden corners obscured by the bamboo overhead; perfect to hide in if Levante’s cronies come looking.”

“That stream there is a great source of water.”

“And this area looks flat enough for a camp!”

“We could build huts out of all this bamboo!”

“And I saw plenty of bugs in the leaf litter, too.”

“Then it’s settled. This will be our new home.”

The Skydancers set down their belongings and got to work.

“And you’re certain that Levante won’t find us?”

"Nothing but endless skyline for miles around."

And so it would forever be.
May 2, 2018

Word count: 1493

Prompt #20: Describe the daily routine of one of your dragons.

Main cast: Justitia, Veritas

The majority of the side cast with the exception of one dragon are all non-existent in my lair

Warning: This story contains very bad descriptions of legal process because I have zero experience in actual law or courts in general. Viewer discretion is advised.

“Another day, another inane court case,” Justitia sighed.

The Chief Justice of Sornieth’s Supreme Court sat in front of a mirror, primping herself up for the day’s work. If several dozen dragons were going to be looking to her to exonerate or damn their kin, she had to look pretty doing it.

“Good morning, Justie,” Veritas purred, sliding up from wherever he’d been hiding. He was already in his ceremonial robes. Good for him. “I hear there’s a big case today. Real high-profile stuff. Half the newspapers have sent reporters!”

“Wonderful, more smear articles from journos who’ve never read a statute in their life.” Justitia pulled her gown over her head and slipped her arms through the sleeves, snagging on that one loose stitch she kept saying she’d fix but never did. “What’s the summary?”

“Merrawin v. Lightweaver. She’s alleging that the deity ‘misled’ her son into exaltation, causing his death.”

“Oh dear. We both know who’s going to win this one.”

Veritas nodded. “Yes. But you still need to give a fair trial.”

Justitia picked up the final piece of her outfit: Her golden veil. She closed her eyes, slipped it on, and clipped it in place. “That’s my job, after all.”

Veritas took her extended talon, and guided her through the door into the courtroom.

“All rise for Her Honour, the Chief Justice,” Veritas boomed.

Though Justitia was still blindfolded, she could hear the creaking of benches and crack of tendons as dragons rose to their feet. Judging by the sound of it, there had to be close to a hundred dragons packed into the room. High-profile case indeed.

Veritas released her talon as she neared the podium, but at this point, she was navigating on muscle memory. Her claws reached for the familiar banisters, and she felt made her way to her usual perch, high above the courtroom. She sat down, and heard the rest of the dragons do the same.

“What are the charges?” Justitia asked.

Veritas coughed and cleared his throat. “Two counts of false or misleading advertising, and one count of corporate dragonslaughter.”

“How pleads the defence?”

“Not guilty.”

“Very well. The prosecution may present their case.”

A scraping of chairs and stacking of papers on a podium. “Your Honour,” a female voice began, “I am Aramal, representing my client Merrawin. Here are the facts of the case. Exactly seventy-four days ago, my client’s son Rowanor was convinced to be exalted into the Lightweaver’s service by recruiters. He left home on the recruiters’ explicit promise that he would be assigned to a non-combat position for the duration of his service. Yet thirty-two days ago, my client received word that her son had died in battle, clearly breaking the terms of the contract. My client wishes to settle for a compensation of 1 million treasure, as well as an agreement that recruiters should truthfully state these risks in future recruitment drives.”

Justitia pondered this. “What say the defence?”

Your Honour,” said a male voice, “I represent my client, Her Radiance, the Lightweaver. While Rowanor was promised a non-combat position, Dominance battles are highly unpredictable, and situations often take a turn for the worst. In such situations, drastic measures must be taken. Every soldier must be prepared to give his life in sacrifice for his deity. Such is the reality of war. His fate is unfortunate; however, the prosecution fails to mention that monetary compensation has already been provided to the client.”

“The ‘monetary compensation’ you speak of was 11 thousand treasure, and that was before tariffs. My client is a widow, and her son was her sole breadwinner. With his death, living expenses have been particularly harsh on her. Surely the Lightweaver can spare more than a measly 11 thousand?”

“11 thousand is the standard amount given to soldiers of Rowanor’s caliber. This is the way it has always been; Dominance has never changed. Many thousands before you have accepted compensation without protest. What is your case?”

A short silence, punctuated by murmuring from the crowd. By the softer whispering that Justitia could hear, somewhat closer than the stands, she guessed that the prosecution was discussing their next move.

“My client wishes to clarify that her case is not in the amount of compensation, but the principal that the terms of her son’s contract were breached. He joined on the condition that he be kept in a non-combat position, away from the fighting. Therefore, my client seeks an amount of compensation that would make up for her son’s own income, had the contract not been broken.”

“Aramal, was it? Do you realise all of your words so far come close to treason against the Lightweaver?”

“With all due respect, I fail to see how--”

Justitia tapped her sword against the podium; the room fell silent in an instant. “Don’t detract from the case, please. No statements may be considered treasonous in Sornieth’s Supreme Court.”

“Of course, Your Honour, my deepest apologies.”

“Yes...Your Honour.” The defence sounded much more sullen, and not apologetic in the least.

“Prosecution, do you wish to speak further?”

“The prosecution rests, Your Honour.”

“How about the defence?”

“The defence rests as well. However, I would like to end with one last statement from Her Radiance herself...”

Then the defence hasn’t rested at all, Justitia thought incredulously. Had this dragon never picked up a law book?

“And that is this: No dragon could reasonably be misled to believe that exaltation is free from death.”

“Does the defence rest their case?”

“Ah, yes, Your Honour. The defence rests.”

“There shall be a short recess while the Chief Justice makes her decision,” Veritas declared.

More benches scraping, and dragons poured out into the hallway, speaking much louder than they thought they were. Justitia could hear the headlines now: ‘Dragon vs Deity, who would win?’

“Hello, love,” Veritas said, his voice suddenly next to her. “What’d I tell you? High-profile case, right?”

“Quite. I already can hear the press typing away outside.”

“So, what’re you leaning towards?”

“I’m sure you already know the answer.”

“Of course. Good luck breaking it to them, Justie.”

“That’s my job, after all.”

Veritas retreated to his post with a soft slide of flat feet.

“Attention all! The Chief Justice has made her decision!”

The return of the shuffling talons, but this time they sounded a little more frantic. Everyone was desperate to hear the decision.”

“I have carefully considered the arguments of both sides,” Justitia began, “and my decision is made in logic and reason, not emotion or outside influence.” She tapped her blindfold. “By the power vested in me by the daemons of law, I find the defendant...”

The tension was almost palpable now.

“Guilty as charged.”

A rippling gasp, and muffled murmurs and cheers rose. Justitia tapped her sword once more, but by this point, her gesture went unheard.

“The accused shall pay the plaintiff the promised sum of 1 million treasure, and henceforth, the Lightweaver’s recruitment agents are required to explicitly state the risks of death that come with exaltation.”

Ever more dragons were talking, their words echoing off the four walls. Through it all, Justitia heard a soft, frail voice whisper, “Thank you.” Those two words alone brought her life and joy.

“Maintain decorum, please,” Veritas boomed out, then slid over to Justitia. “Psst, you can take off the veil now. Promise it’s worth it.”

Justitia felt around the back of her head and unhooked the clasp, slipping off her blindfold. The courtroom was swarming with dragons from all walks of life, of all flights, from the largest Imperial to the smallest Fae. In the prosecution’s podium, she saw an elderly Pearlcatcher hugging a younger Coatl, tears streaming down both their eyes. In the defence’s podium, she saw a purple-and-brown Spiral silently fuming.

She recognised him immediately, of course.

It was Boston, the Lightweaver’s personal attendant.

“Oh my,” Justitia whispered to her mate. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Well, I thought you’d recognise him from the voice and the arrogance and the utter disregard for--”

“You wanted to see my face when I realised.”

“...Yes.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter anymore. The case is closed, and not even the deity Herself can change that.”

“Uh oh. Look out below.”

Veritas’s warning came just a second before a whirlwind of a Spiral shot up to her platform to glare at her.

“Hullo, Boston. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that no dragon can stand higher than the Chief Justice?”

“Insolent peon! You’ve made a powerful enemy,” Boston hissed. “The Lightweaver never forgets those who undermine Her authority. You’ll regret making a fool out of Her Radiance.”

“Let Her come,” Justitia laughed at him, and Veritas squared his shoulders to stand beside her. “If She thinks She can defy Truth and Justice themselves, She is welcome to try. Oh, and Boston?”

The Spiral snarled. “What?”

“Try reading your textbooks before you decide to become a defence lawyer.”
May 2, 2018

Word count: 1493

Prompt #20: Describe the daily routine of one of your dragons.

Main cast: Justitia, Veritas

The majority of the side cast with the exception of one dragon are all non-existent in my lair

Warning: This story contains very bad descriptions of legal process because I have zero experience in actual law or courts in general. Viewer discretion is advised.

“Another day, another inane court case,” Justitia sighed.

The Chief Justice of Sornieth’s Supreme Court sat in front of a mirror, primping herself up for the day’s work. If several dozen dragons were going to be looking to her to exonerate or damn their kin, she had to look pretty doing it.

“Good morning, Justie,” Veritas purred, sliding up from wherever he’d been hiding. He was already in his ceremonial robes. Good for him. “I hear there’s a big case today. Real high-profile stuff. Half the newspapers have sent reporters!”

“Wonderful, more smear articles from journos who’ve never read a statute in their life.” Justitia pulled her gown over her head and slipped her arms through the sleeves, snagging on that one loose stitch she kept saying she’d fix but never did. “What’s the summary?”

“Merrawin v. Lightweaver. She’s alleging that the deity ‘misled’ her son into exaltation, causing his death.”

“Oh dear. We both know who’s going to win this one.”

Veritas nodded. “Yes. But you still need to give a fair trial.”

Justitia picked up the final piece of her outfit: Her golden veil. She closed her eyes, slipped it on, and clipped it in place. “That’s my job, after all.”

Veritas took her extended talon, and guided her through the door into the courtroom.

“All rise for Her Honour, the Chief Justice,” Veritas boomed.

Though Justitia was still blindfolded, she could hear the creaking of benches and crack of tendons as dragons rose to their feet. Judging by the sound of it, there had to be close to a hundred dragons packed into the room. High-profile case indeed.

Veritas released her talon as she neared the podium, but at this point, she was navigating on muscle memory. Her claws reached for the familiar banisters, and she felt made her way to her usual perch, high above the courtroom. She sat down, and heard the rest of the dragons do the same.

“What are the charges?” Justitia asked.

Veritas coughed and cleared his throat. “Two counts of false or misleading advertising, and one count of corporate dragonslaughter.”

“How pleads the defence?”

“Not guilty.”

“Very well. The prosecution may present their case.”

A scraping of chairs and stacking of papers on a podium. “Your Honour,” a female voice began, “I am Aramal, representing my client Merrawin. Here are the facts of the case. Exactly seventy-four days ago, my client’s son Rowanor was convinced to be exalted into the Lightweaver’s service by recruiters. He left home on the recruiters’ explicit promise that he would be assigned to a non-combat position for the duration of his service. Yet thirty-two days ago, my client received word that her son had died in battle, clearly breaking the terms of the contract. My client wishes to settle for a compensation of 1 million treasure, as well as an agreement that recruiters should truthfully state these risks in future recruitment drives.”

Justitia pondered this. “What say the defence?”

Your Honour,” said a male voice, “I represent my client, Her Radiance, the Lightweaver. While Rowanor was promised a non-combat position, Dominance battles are highly unpredictable, and situations often take a turn for the worst. In such situations, drastic measures must be taken. Every soldier must be prepared to give his life in sacrifice for his deity. Such is the reality of war. His fate is unfortunate; however, the prosecution fails to mention that monetary compensation has already been provided to the client.”

“The ‘monetary compensation’ you speak of was 11 thousand treasure, and that was before tariffs. My client is a widow, and her son was her sole breadwinner. With his death, living expenses have been particularly harsh on her. Surely the Lightweaver can spare more than a measly 11 thousand?”

“11 thousand is the standard amount given to soldiers of Rowanor’s caliber. This is the way it has always been; Dominance has never changed. Many thousands before you have accepted compensation without protest. What is your case?”

A short silence, punctuated by murmuring from the crowd. By the softer whispering that Justitia could hear, somewhat closer than the stands, she guessed that the prosecution was discussing their next move.

“My client wishes to clarify that her case is not in the amount of compensation, but the principal that the terms of her son’s contract were breached. He joined on the condition that he be kept in a non-combat position, away from the fighting. Therefore, my client seeks an amount of compensation that would make up for her son’s own income, had the contract not been broken.”

“Aramal, was it? Do you realise all of your words so far come close to treason against the Lightweaver?”

“With all due respect, I fail to see how--”

Justitia tapped her sword against the podium; the room fell silent in an instant. “Don’t detract from the case, please. No statements may be considered treasonous in Sornieth’s Supreme Court.”

“Of course, Your Honour, my deepest apologies.”

“Yes...Your Honour.” The defence sounded much more sullen, and not apologetic in the least.

“Prosecution, do you wish to speak further?”

“The prosecution rests, Your Honour.”

“How about the defence?”

“The defence rests as well. However, I would like to end with one last statement from Her Radiance herself...”

Then the defence hasn’t rested at all, Justitia thought incredulously. Had this dragon never picked up a law book?

“And that is this: No dragon could reasonably be misled to believe that exaltation is free from death.”

“Does the defence rest their case?”

“Ah, yes, Your Honour. The defence rests.”

“There shall be a short recess while the Chief Justice makes her decision,” Veritas declared.

More benches scraping, and dragons poured out into the hallway, speaking much louder than they thought they were. Justitia could hear the headlines now: ‘Dragon vs Deity, who would win?’

“Hello, love,” Veritas said, his voice suddenly next to her. “What’d I tell you? High-profile case, right?”

“Quite. I already can hear the press typing away outside.”

“So, what’re you leaning towards?”

“I’m sure you already know the answer.”

“Of course. Good luck breaking it to them, Justie.”

“That’s my job, after all.”

Veritas retreated to his post with a soft slide of flat feet.

“Attention all! The Chief Justice has made her decision!”

The return of the shuffling talons, but this time they sounded a little more frantic. Everyone was desperate to hear the decision.”

“I have carefully considered the arguments of both sides,” Justitia began, “and my decision is made in logic and reason, not emotion or outside influence.” She tapped her blindfold. “By the power vested in me by the daemons of law, I find the defendant...”

The tension was almost palpable now.

“Guilty as charged.”

A rippling gasp, and muffled murmurs and cheers rose. Justitia tapped her sword once more, but by this point, her gesture went unheard.

“The accused shall pay the plaintiff the promised sum of 1 million treasure, and henceforth, the Lightweaver’s recruitment agents are required to explicitly state the risks of death that come with exaltation.”

Ever more dragons were talking, their words echoing off the four walls. Through it all, Justitia heard a soft, frail voice whisper, “Thank you.” Those two words alone brought her life and joy.

“Maintain decorum, please,” Veritas boomed out, then slid over to Justitia. “Psst, you can take off the veil now. Promise it’s worth it.”

Justitia felt around the back of her head and unhooked the clasp, slipping off her blindfold. The courtroom was swarming with dragons from all walks of life, of all flights, from the largest Imperial to the smallest Fae. In the prosecution’s podium, she saw an elderly Pearlcatcher hugging a younger Coatl, tears streaming down both their eyes. In the defence’s podium, she saw a purple-and-brown Spiral silently fuming.

She recognised him immediately, of course.

It was Boston, the Lightweaver’s personal attendant.

“Oh my,” Justitia whispered to her mate. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Well, I thought you’d recognise him from the voice and the arrogance and the utter disregard for--”

“You wanted to see my face when I realised.”

“...Yes.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter anymore. The case is closed, and not even the deity Herself can change that.”

“Uh oh. Look out below.”

Veritas’s warning came just a second before a whirlwind of a Spiral shot up to her platform to glare at her.

“Hullo, Boston. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that no dragon can stand higher than the Chief Justice?”

“Insolent peon! You’ve made a powerful enemy,” Boston hissed. “The Lightweaver never forgets those who undermine Her authority. You’ll regret making a fool out of Her Radiance.”

“Let Her come,” Justitia laughed at him, and Veritas squared his shoulders to stand beside her. “If She thinks She can defy Truth and Justice themselves, She is welcome to try. Oh, and Boston?”

The Spiral snarled. “What?”

“Try reading your textbooks before you decide to become a defence lawyer.”
June 26, 2018

Word count: 1077

Main cast: Silvia, Valentine, Cirrus

"I don't know what else to tell you, Silvia...it's simple. Clans need dragons with essential roles to function. And yours...it's just not essential any more."

The Skydancer spoke directly to her, but Silvia could barely hear him over the roar of blood in her ears. She felt her heartbeat in her chest, slow and thrumming. Her head was light, her limbs were numb, and she could barely stand straight. Only one thought was clear in her mind:

"But...why?"

The dragon rolled his eyes. "The old guard were weak. I told you over and over that the reform was coming. That we'd need strong warriors to reassert ourselves. I gave you time to learn combat. I set aside a dragon to mentor you. But did you do it? No. You stayed in that little garden of yours, tending your pretty flowers and flimsy trellises. And now that it's done and I'm about to make the Shattered Spire great again, you ask me why we don't need your silly plants any more?"

"I never wanted this to happen," Silvia murmured, "I thought you could reason with them. Share power, sign a treaty...anything but this."

"It happened anyway. And it was glorious. I'm sorry you can't see that, but whatever your opinion, you still need to leave."

"So that's it, Valentine? You're sending me away? Do our three children mean nothing to you?"

"Stop being so hysterical. We both knew it would come to this one day."

She looked into those yellow eyes; eyes in which she'd once seen a pool of warmth and love, but were now frozen over, emotionless. She pushed away the bag he tried to give her, and fled on shaking wings into the night. Valentine, the dragon she'd loved a long time ago, barely gave her a second glance. In one sweep of his tail he was gone, off to celebrate atop the ashes of the clan she had grown up in.

Silvia flew until her wings threatened to buckle under, and then she stumbled onto one of the many crystal peaks that embraced the Starfall Isles.

One cry, she told herself. Just one cry, and I'll put all of this behind me. 

But she didn't specify how long that cry had to be, so by the time the dawn rose from the east, she had cried until her eyes were red and swollen, and no more tears could come.

She picked her way down from the mountain, her claws skidding as she put weight on weak limbs. She felt like she was floating through the air, although her feet were very firmly digging into crystal, and her mind kept flashing back to the exact moment Valentine had told her; his yellow eyes and battle-scarred snout were seared into her vision, and though she tried to distract herself by reciting the names of her favourite perennials, her terrible brain kept snapping back to his face, kept replaying his voice as clear as if he were still standing in front of her. The same line, over and over: 'You still need to leave.'

Silvia snarled aloud, surprising even herself with the intensity of her voice. Fine. If she couldn't tell her brain to stop thinking about him, then she would find something else to occupy her thoughts.

The crystal spire dipped directly into the sea below. Silvia hopped, scrambled, and flapped her way to a flat ledge, where she could bend down to scoop up some water in her talons. With a whisper of Arcane magic, she extracted the salt from the seawater before sipping it up.

"You have a fine grasp of Arcane Alteration," said a kindly voice.

Silvia turned. There was another Skydancer standing on the ledge: One who definitely hadn't been there a few seconds ago. Her plumage was bright pink and purple, and she wore a purple travelling cloak etched with the runes of the Arcanist.

"Hullo, dear," the newcomer said. "Forgive my intrusion; I saw you doing an advanced filtration spell and simply couldn't help myself. Where did you learn to do it without a Lorican focus?"

"Experience," Silvia replied. "I used to tend my plants with filtered seawater." Before he decided we didn't need them.

"A gardener! A noble and respectable profession indeed."

"Refreshing to hear that for a change."

"Oh? Did your clan not have the same appreciation for your handiwork?"

"They kicked me out for it."

"Oh, dear! I'm terribly sorry. Forgive me for asking."

Silvia knew she wouldn't be able to stem the tide if she started talking about last night. So, she decided to deflect the conversation back to the stranger.

"What about you? Why are you out here?"

"Just visiting relations, that's all. I was on my way back home when I spotted you by the surface. I should be getting on soon."

"Back to your clan...”

“Yes...say, maybe you’d like to come with me? We could always use another member.”

Silvia considered it. The Shattered Spire had been her only home all her life: It was there she had hatched, had grown up, had worked for. But it seemed that her loyalty meant nothing to the dragon she once loved.

“But what would I do there?” she asked, perhaps a little more defensively than she intended. “All I know is plants and gardening.”

“That’s perfect! We’re an all-Skydancer clan, you see, and a vegetable garden could sustain us if food gets scarce. Of course, that’s only if you’ll have us.”

Silvia thought of the surrealness of this situation. In another universe, she wouldn’t have been nearly as eager to trust this strange dragon.

But in that same universe, Valentine wouldn’t have cast her out of the clan, either.

“Alright,” she said. “I’ll come.”

Together, the two Skydancers lifted into the air and flew east, towards a new clan and home.

"What's that on your arm?"

Silvia lifted up her talon. She didn’t see any strange stains, or injuries, or anything out of the ordinary. Unless...she was talking about...

"Oh. Just a corsage."

"It's beautifully made."

"I made it myself."

"Really!"

"Yes, but that's not all. I made four of them in total: Three for my children, one for myself. I enchanted them all so they would glow when held under each of our talons, and only ours. They had such fun testing it out that afternoon..."

"Why, that's a fantastic concept. In fact, it gives me an idea for your first project..."
June 26, 2018

Word count: 1077

Main cast: Silvia, Valentine, Cirrus

"I don't know what else to tell you, Silvia...it's simple. Clans need dragons with essential roles to function. And yours...it's just not essential any more."

The Skydancer spoke directly to her, but Silvia could barely hear him over the roar of blood in her ears. She felt her heartbeat in her chest, slow and thrumming. Her head was light, her limbs were numb, and she could barely stand straight. Only one thought was clear in her mind:

"But...why?"

The dragon rolled his eyes. "The old guard were weak. I told you over and over that the reform was coming. That we'd need strong warriors to reassert ourselves. I gave you time to learn combat. I set aside a dragon to mentor you. But did you do it? No. You stayed in that little garden of yours, tending your pretty flowers and flimsy trellises. And now that it's done and I'm about to make the Shattered Spire great again, you ask me why we don't need your silly plants any more?"

"I never wanted this to happen," Silvia murmured, "I thought you could reason with them. Share power, sign a treaty...anything but this."

"It happened anyway. And it was glorious. I'm sorry you can't see that, but whatever your opinion, you still need to leave."

"So that's it, Valentine? You're sending me away? Do our three children mean nothing to you?"

"Stop being so hysterical. We both knew it would come to this one day."

She looked into those yellow eyes; eyes in which she'd once seen a pool of warmth and love, but were now frozen over, emotionless. She pushed away the bag he tried to give her, and fled on shaking wings into the night. Valentine, the dragon she'd loved a long time ago, barely gave her a second glance. In one sweep of his tail he was gone, off to celebrate atop the ashes of the clan she had grown up in.

Silvia flew until her wings threatened to buckle under, and then she stumbled onto one of the many crystal peaks that embraced the Starfall Isles.

One cry, she told herself. Just one cry, and I'll put all of this behind me. 

But she didn't specify how long that cry had to be, so by the time the dawn rose from the east, she had cried until her eyes were red and swollen, and no more tears could come.

She picked her way down from the mountain, her claws skidding as she put weight on weak limbs. She felt like she was floating through the air, although her feet were very firmly digging into crystal, and her mind kept flashing back to the exact moment Valentine had told her; his yellow eyes and battle-scarred snout were seared into her vision, and though she tried to distract herself by reciting the names of her favourite perennials, her terrible brain kept snapping back to his face, kept replaying his voice as clear as if he were still standing in front of her. The same line, over and over: 'You still need to leave.'

Silvia snarled aloud, surprising even herself with the intensity of her voice. Fine. If she couldn't tell her brain to stop thinking about him, then she would find something else to occupy her thoughts.

The crystal spire dipped directly into the sea below. Silvia hopped, scrambled, and flapped her way to a flat ledge, where she could bend down to scoop up some water in her talons. With a whisper of Arcane magic, she extracted the salt from the seawater before sipping it up.

"You have a fine grasp of Arcane Alteration," said a kindly voice.

Silvia turned. There was another Skydancer standing on the ledge: One who definitely hadn't been there a few seconds ago. Her plumage was bright pink and purple, and she wore a purple travelling cloak etched with the runes of the Arcanist.

"Hullo, dear," the newcomer said. "Forgive my intrusion; I saw you doing an advanced filtration spell and simply couldn't help myself. Where did you learn to do it without a Lorican focus?"

"Experience," Silvia replied. "I used to tend my plants with filtered seawater." Before he decided we didn't need them.

"A gardener! A noble and respectable profession indeed."

"Refreshing to hear that for a change."

"Oh? Did your clan not have the same appreciation for your handiwork?"

"They kicked me out for it."

"Oh, dear! I'm terribly sorry. Forgive me for asking."

Silvia knew she wouldn't be able to stem the tide if she started talking about last night. So, she decided to deflect the conversation back to the stranger.

"What about you? Why are you out here?"

"Just visiting relations, that's all. I was on my way back home when I spotted you by the surface. I should be getting on soon."

"Back to your clan...”

“Yes...say, maybe you’d like to come with me? We could always use another member.”

Silvia considered it. The Shattered Spire had been her only home all her life: It was there she had hatched, had grown up, had worked for. But it seemed that her loyalty meant nothing to the dragon she once loved.

“But what would I do there?” she asked, perhaps a little more defensively than she intended. “All I know is plants and gardening.”

“That’s perfect! We’re an all-Skydancer clan, you see, and a vegetable garden could sustain us if food gets scarce. Of course, that’s only if you’ll have us.”

Silvia thought of the surrealness of this situation. In another universe, she wouldn’t have been nearly as eager to trust this strange dragon.

But in that same universe, Valentine wouldn’t have cast her out of the clan, either.

“Alright,” she said. “I’ll come.”

Together, the two Skydancers lifted into the air and flew east, towards a new clan and home.

"What's that on your arm?"

Silvia lifted up her talon. She didn’t see any strange stains, or injuries, or anything out of the ordinary. Unless...she was talking about...

"Oh. Just a corsage."

"It's beautifully made."

"I made it myself."

"Really!"

"Yes, but that's not all. I made four of them in total: Three for my children, one for myself. I enchanted them all so they would glow when held under each of our talons, and only ours. They had such fun testing it out that afternoon..."

"Why, that's a fantastic concept. In fact, it gives me an idea for your first project..."
July 26, 2018

Word count: 3608

This story introduces created characters from the Talonok Beastclan. The Skyline dragons are unnamed in the story, but they are Providence, Pyrrhia, and Embyr the Sunspot Clouddancer.
This is by far the longest piece I've written for this challenge, and will have at least one more sequel. This is the backstory to an ongoing alliance between the Skyline Clan and their Beastclan allies: The North Cliffside Talonok Chapter.

The North Cliffside Talonok Chapter were a proud bunch. They considered themselves to be fine warriors, hunters, and foragers, eking out a comfortable life on the slopes of the cliffside territories, which the dragons called the Zephyr Steppes. But when yet another hunting party failed to return from their trip, Kar’aak knew something had to be done, and fast.

“It’s the third time in as many days,” he pointed out, to anyone who would stop long enough to listen, “at the same time, the dragons speak of harsher measures against our kind. It’s clear what happened to them.”

Most talonok chose to remain optimistic.

‘They got lost,’ they’d say.

‘Perhaps they’re tracking bigger game.’

‘You think too poorly of our finest prey-runners.’

But Kar’aak knew he was right, and though he was a lowly scribe, he was determined to take matters into his own wings.

As part of his job (compiling event logs from the raptoriks’ patrols), he had access to maps of all their regular routes. He sketched out his own copy on a piece of parchment, stashed it in his robe, and set off into the wilds of the territories.

Kar’aak decided to follow the shortest hunters’ route: Along the cliffs, up to the steppes, a short foray into the edge of a bamboo forest, then back to camp. He flew alongside the sheer rock walls, checking for the usual patrol markers, finding nothing out of the ordinary. He rose with the afternoon thermals to the Zephyr Steppes, steering clear of the budding clans that set up their lairs across the mesas.

Could they have run into some dragons? he wondered. But he found more patrol markers, little strips of ribbon inconspicuously tied around trees or bamboo stalks, in knots that indicated nothing out of the ordinary. Not here, at least.

That left one place to search: The bamboo forest.

Kar’aak wasn’t a big fan of bamboo. Their leaves and stalks blocked out the sun even in brightest day, and they grew so close together that he was always afraid he’d get stuck between two of them. But walking was out of the question; too dangerous.

He kept flying, albeit slower. The markers continued as usual, weaving through the widest gaps between the stalks.

But then, they just...stopped.

Kar’aak swung out his talons to perch just below the last marker, visually sweeping the area for the next one. None of the other bamboo stalks seemed to be marked. It was as if they’d ended their patrol right where he was standing.

He was about to take off again when he saw it: The next ribbon, seemingly floating in the air.

What?

Kar’aak watched it for a few seconds. It seemed to bob with the wind, though it didn’t move too much. He tilted his head, and saw it at once.

The ribbon wasn’t floating at all. It had been tied to a net, its mesh so thin that it was almost invisible under the light.

By shielding his eyes with one wing, Kar’aak could see that the hidden netting had been strung up between multiple stalks, forming an unbroken line as far as he could see. Between each net, he caught glimpses of feathers, arrows, and even torn strips of talonok cloth.

He could see the pattern tied into the patrol marker now. It meant ‘Danger!’.

There were half a dozen of them tied across the length of the netting.

He had to warn the Chapter, fast.

“They’re gone!” Kar’aak shrieked. “All of them!”

A few talonok snapped their heads up as the corven half-flapped, half-crashed back into their cliffside camp.

“What?”

“Who’s gone?”

“Be still, youngling! Catch your breath. Whatever news you bear can wait.”

Kar’aak staggered to his feet and coughed in a breath, then froze. “Wait. Did the hunters just leave by the forest route?”

“Yes, a few minutes ago. Why—”

“They’re in danger!” he shrieked. “Please, send someone and tell them to turn back!”

A pair of peregrine raptorik nodded to each other. The larger of the two took flight and zipped off in the direction of the patrol, while the other came to lay her talon on Kar’aak’s shoulder. “Skritch is the fastest bird I know. He’ll get there in time, don’t you worry. Now, what’s all this about?”

The corven spoke through gasping breaths. “Saw...nets in the bamboo forest...the patrol markers said danger...dragons kidnapping our hunters!”

Some of the listeners gasped.

“But why?”

“What do the dragons want with us?”

“So my sister’s been taken?”

“What’s going to happen to them?”

“Questions can come later,” the peregrine raised her voice, “for now, let’s wait until Skritch gets back. Then we can figure out what’s going on.”

There was plenty of mumbling all around, but the crowd eventually dispersed.

“We’ll have to hunt on the cliffsides now.”

“Maybe the other chapters can send reinforcements.”

“Will we have to abandon this outpost?”

Kar’aak sat down and fretted. The raptorik brought him some water to drink.

“What if he doesn’t get there in time?”

“He will.”

“But if he doesn’t— wait! I forgot to warn him about the nets!”

“By Talona! I’ll go after him.”

“Wait. I’ll come with you.”

The peregrine sized him up. “To be honest, corven, I’m not sure if you can keep up...”

“I know one section we can cut across. It’ll halve our travel time, easy.”

“Fine. Let’s go, then.”

Skritch was a raptorik of action, not words. If someone told him to do something, he did it, no need to think further. That being said, he was having a pretty hard time convincing the hunting patrol to do the same.

“You have to return to camp,” he repeated for the fifth time. “Kar’aak says it’s not safe.”

The team of five hunters hovering at the edge of the bamboo forest weren’t impressed.

“Kar’aak? The scroll-scratcher?”

“What’s the trouble?”

Hmm, good question. The young corven hadn’t given any actual details when he crash-landed into camp screeching about ‘all of them’ being ‘gone’, but with that language, it had to be urgent, right?

“I don’t know. But Kar’aak will explain when we get back. Come on, follow me.”

“Why should we listen to you?” some belligerent youngster asked. “For all we know, you could be lying about the whole thing.”

A few other hunters murmured their agreement.

“What? No! Why would I ever want to lie about something like this?”

“Then why can’t you give us a reason?”

“I— uh...”

Words were hard.

“That’s what I thought. Come on, let’s keep going.”

The patrol flew on ahead. Skritch caught up to them in half the wingbeats, and flew in front of and alongside them.

“Wait, if you would just listen to— ack!”

He crashed into some sort of invisible barrier. Thin cords of some sort wrapped around his wings, and the more he flapped, the more tangled up he got.

The hunters pulled up short, their eyes wide.

“What is that?”

“What’s wrong with him?”

One of the older raptorik inched closer, reaching out to feel the cords with his talons. “It’s a bird net. A strong one!”

“Look!” Another hunter pointed out the troubling markers strung up along its length. “The other patrols were here!”

“That’s what happened to them!”

“That’s what would’ve happened to us!”

“Skritch? Hold still. I’m going to try to cut the net.”

“No!” the peregrine said, as one of the corven approached with his hunting spear. “Fly back to camp, quickly!”

“But you’re—”

“I don’t know what Kar’aak was so afraid of. But the camp needs that food you’re carrying. We can’t afford all of you getting caught, too.”

“He’s right,” the youngster said, not so belligerent any more. “We’ve lost three patrols to this thing. If we don’t get back, the Chapter’ll starve.”

The patrol muttered amongst themselves. When the point raptor turned to Skritch, his golden eyes were sorrowful. “You’re right. Talona be with you, peregrine. We shouldn’t have been so stubborn earlier.”

With that, the talonok turned and flew back to camp, bearing their precious kills with them.

“So you say the nets were strung up in the bamboo forest?”

“Yes.”

“Exactly along the stretch that our patrols would take?”

“Correct.”

“So that means the dragons have been watching us. They knew where to set up. This is a targeted attack.”

“So all we have to do is change our patrol routes.”

“What if they just move the nets again...”

“Hmm, what if we swapped routes every other day— hey, wait! Is that the patrol?”

Kar’aak pointed to a formation flying towards them from the direction of the forest. He waved a silk-sleeved wing at them.

“Hey! Over here!”

The point raptor broke off and swooped down to meet them. “Kar’aak,” he greeted. “And Ski’cha. So you’re the one who sent Skritch after us? We’re in your debt.”

“Yes, that’s right. So you figured out about the nets already?”

“Yes. We’ll be changing our route this very evening.”

Ski’cha was craning her head around to inspect the patrol. “There’s five of you. Where’s Skritch?”

The hunterbird squirmed in mid-air, which looked a little like a shiver wracking his wings. “Well, uh...”

“He got caught,” a youngster blurted out.

“What! You left my brother in that net?! Why, you brown-beaked...”

Kar’aak placed himself between the peregrine and the patrol. “Forget it! It’s not their fault. Makoti, bring that food back to camp. The two of us will go get Skritch.”

The point raptor bowed his head. “Wind buoy you, friends.” He whistled to his patrol, and they continued on their path back to the Chapter.

Ski’cha shot off in a thundering of wingbeats, and Kar’aak followed her, trying not to think of all the things that could go wrong.

Skritch didn’t know what this blasted net was made of, but it would probably make excellent talonok clothing. He’d been sawing away at it with his knife for minutes, and at the rate he was going, the blade might actually break before he made any significant progress.

“How’s today’s pickings?”

The raptorik froze. That sounded like Draconic, and it was coming from far below him.

“Terrible. Only one today.”

“Can’t be. Search along the perimeter.”

More rustling of bamboo stalks. By tilting his head, Skritch could see a few dragons, mostly the big scary armoured types, stalking around through the forest far below.

“’Fraid so. Just one bird.”

“They’re on to us, boss.”

“We all knew this day would come. Come on, let’s just get this one down.”

Skritch felt a force tugging down on the net. He screeched a warcry, flapping his wings as much as the tangled cords would let him, and generally made a nuisance of himself as they pulled him in.

Some stalks rustled, then a new voice cut through the commotion.

“Hey, what— HEY! What are you doing?”

Strangely, the net stopped at the sound of this new voice, followed by growls of surprise. Skritch twisted his head around yet again, and saw two of the thinner, feathery type dragons leaping out of the undergrowth.

“What’s going on here? Why are you in Skyline territory?”

“Wait, ma’am, we can explain—”

“Our land is clearly marked. You couldn’t walk six paces without tripping over a trailblazer. And as far as we can see, none of you are Skyline Clan.”

“Please, just let—”

A sunspot clouddancer appeared out of nowhere, snarling at the larger dragons. Strangely, the way it was standing made it almost look like it was protecting one of the feathery dragons. But that would be ridiculous. Right?

“Get out. Now.”

“At least let us take our—”

“Those nets are Skyline property now. Get. Out.”

Muttering and snarling amongst themselves, the larger dragons released their hold on the net and flew out of the forest.

“Trappers,” the female feathery dragon spat. “No morals to speak of.”

Skritch was under the impression that all dragons had no morals to speak of. Maybe they just had different degrees of immorality?

The clouddancer had trotted over and was ripping into the net with his beak. The feathery dragon clicked her tongue, and to Skritch’s utter surprise, he backed off. What happened to the proud predator he’d always read about? Was this what the dragons were going to do to him?

“Here,” the female dragon said, passing a talonful of net to her male partner, “and be careful. These are yuccaweave cords.”

The other dragon nodded, and between the two of them, they began to lift and untangle the expanse of netting.

Skritch watched them both with a wary eye, keeping one talon wrapped tightly around his weapon. If only he had one of those fancy spears that the warriors always carried. Somehow, a pocketknife wasn’t as intimidating when your target was ten times your size.

The clouddancer came over and sat down beside Skritch’s head. Though his accent was off, he spoke decent talonok. “Put away your weapon, raptor. They’re only trying to help you.”

“Dragons? Help? Proud brother, I don’t know how they’ve brainwashed you, but—”

“No brainwashing at all. I am this Skydancer’s loyal familiar. Trust me: They don’t wish to harm you.”

“They’re dragons. They’ve been slaughtering our fellow beastkin since the dawn of the Fourth Age.”

“Not these dragons. The Skyline Clan is peaceful. I know: I didn’t believe it either at first. But with time, I realised that not all dragons are as brutal as we’ve been taught.”

Skritch felt the net slacken. The clouddancer stood, and with graceful picks of his claws, began to untangle the raptorik’s wings from of the cords. “Disbelieve me if you wish. But know this: If you lay a claw on my mistress, I will fight you to defend her.”

“Effective brainwashing,” Skritch muttered, and just then, he felt the weight of the net lift as the dragons tossed it away.

“You’re free to go, talonok. My mistress will not stop you.”

“Tell him they should change routes,” the male dragon said to the clouddancer. “Until we nab those trappers.”

“Already done,” Skritch told them, his knife still tightly clenched in one talon. He kept his eyes on the two dragons as he took flight, but then, with great difficulty, he acknowledged them with a nod. “Thank you.”

The dragons nodded back. They almost looked earnest about it. But Skritch wouldn’t be fooled.

All dragons were evil. These ones were just...down with the flu, probably. No need to think further than that.

“Careful,” Kar’aak said. “Here’s where I saw the nets.”

Ski’cha tilted her wings to slow herself, hovering at the very edge of the bamboo forest. She couldn’t really see any nets, but then again, it wouldn’t be much of a trap if so.

“Alright. Let’s do a perch-and-dash. My brother won’t be hard to find. He’s always squawking his head off, you could hear him a crow’s flight away.”

The two of them landed on their own separate stalks of bamboo, checking the area around them before half-leaping, half-gliding to the next.

Then Kar’aak whistled two sharp notes: Talonok code for ‘look down’.

Ski’cha did so. Far below them, a trio of dragons stumbled through the undergrowth, cursing and spitting amongst themselves. Could they be the dragons who’d set up the nets?

She clacked her beak back at him. ‘I’ll check,’ it meant.

She shimmied down the bamboo stalk, clinging almost sideways, like a woodpecker. She was terrible at Draconic, worse than even her dolt of a brother, and she cursed herself for not letting Kar’aak (the actual scholar) do the eavesdropping.

“Next time...before...”

“Sky clan...know they were here?”

“Rest of talonok...price...”

With claws and beak in tandem, she clambered her way back up to the corven. “Sounds like the culprits. But they didn’t have Skritch with them.”

“Oh no,” Kar’aak fretted, “what if they’ve killed him? Or eaten him? Or broken his wings and left him to die all alo—”

“Hey,” said a familiar voice, “don’t jinx it.”

Ski’cha took flight so suddenly that her bamboo stalk rattled from the impact. She tackled Skritch mid-air, and the siblings wing-embraced for a second before gravity forced them to retreat to perches one more.

“You’re alright! What happened? Did those dragons hurt you? Just give me the word, I’ll gouge their eyes out myself...”

“Well...” Her brother turned back to look into the forest. “Kind of the opposite, actually.”

“Wait. Just to clear things up for the records. Some dragons were about to kidnap you, but then some other dragons freed you?”

The setting sun far overhead did an adequate job of lighting the camp clearing, where the talonok of the North Cliffside Chapter were having their first full meal in three days. Kar’aak and the peregrine siblings sat together around a small bonfire, sharing a fillet of bamboo rat while the former wrote his incident report of the day’s happenings.

“Yes. Oh! And there was this clouddancer calling himself a ‘familiar’. If it matters, the net dragons were the big ones. Lots of armour, big wings.”

“You mean Guardians? Ridgebacks?”

“Yeah. Probably. And the dragons who freed me were the feathery ones.”

Ski’cha rolled her eyes. “Skydancers.”

“Yeah, whatever. And get this: The male said they were going to ‘nab the trappers’.”

Kar’aak tilted his head to one side. “Are you sure you heard that right? The Skydancer dragons are going to stop the trapper dragons?”

“I think so...”

“But that would mean the Skydancers...are on our side?”

“I know. Didn’t make sense to me, either. But that’s what I remember.”

“That’s...interesting.”

Ski’cha yawned widely. “I’m too tired for this level of moral complexity,” she declared. “Come on, brother. Time to turn in for the night.”

“You two go on ahead. I’ve got to make my report to the top talon.”

Skritch twittered a farewell to Kar’aak, before following his sibling up to the roost.

The corven wrapped up the rest of his report, tossed some ashes onto the fire to smother it, then set off to meet the Chapter head.

Tikitak’s office was a simple mud hut stuck to the sheer cliff-face, with open windows that overlooked the entire camp. He’d been leader of the Chapter for as long as anyone could remember, by virtue of his decisive planning, combat prowess, and crystal-clear foresight.

The old greenwing looked up as Kar’aak placed his scroll at his desk. “Evening’s tidings, Kar’aak. Makoti told me how you and the peregrine saved today’s hunting patrol. On behalf of the entire Chapter, we thank you for your actions.”

“Just looking out for my fellow beastkin,” Kar’aak replied. “Do you have a moment to talk?”

“Of course.”

“Skritch told me that the Skydancers in the bamboo forest freed him. They also said they were going after the dragons that took our hunters. I think it might be...beneficial— I mean, would it be possible for us to maybe form an alliance?”

Tikitak laughed, in a deep, harsh squawk. “Dragons, on our side? Have you been reading too many storyscrolls?”

“Well...”

The raptorik leader picked up the incident scroll and unrolled it. “Today was most fortuitous, and I don’t deny your involvement in that. But we do not, have not, will not associate with dragons, no matter what the reason.”

Tikitak skimmed the report, but as he reached the midway point, he frowned. “Kar’aak, do you know what a familiar is?”

“The clouddancer was one. Skritch said he was loyal to the Skydancer.”

“Trained loyalty,” Tikitak muttered. “D’you know how they do it? They beat it into you. They use punishment and intimidation to turn proud creatures like that clouddancer into simpering pets.”

“Skritch said the clouddancer looked happy. Obedient to the dragon, but still happy. I don’t think—”

“Oh, but that’s not all. They make you fight their battles for them. Against overwhelming odds, you’re expected to die for them. When you’re limping away from a wartoad with a broken wing, only to have them throw you right back into the fray, your perception of dragons tends to shift.”

“But surely some of them could be decent!”

Tikitak shrugged his parda-skin robe off his shoulders. His breast and upper back were lacerated with scars, bare patches where the feathers would never grow back, strange runic burns snaking black lines across his skin.

Dragon claw marks. Dragon magic.

“I’m sorry,” Kar’aak murmured.

“So now you know. This is what dragons do to our kind. I won’t hear any more talk of an ‘alliance’ with these monsters. Dismissed.”

Kar’aak bowed his head, cawed a goodnight to the greenwing, and flew off to roost with his fellow corven.

“Good evening,” his neighbour, a greybeak ritualist, said as he settled down beside her. “I heard about you rescuing the hunting patrol. This Chapter needs more brave talonok like you.”

“Thank you. But there’s still the matter of the other three patrols that went missing.”

“I’m sure they’ll be fine. Talona will guide their path home.”

“Maybe.”

The greybeak tucked her beak into her wing and went to sleep. But Kar’aak sat wide awake in his nest bed, the image of the net and its fluttering patrol markers burned into his mind.

15 good talonok were still missing. And though they were clearly on everyones’ minds, the entire Chapter was collectively pretending nothing was wrong. To them, it was just another peril of living so close to dragons. Burying their heads in the sand was easier than trying to do something about it.

But Kar’aak knew he was right, and though he was a lowly scribe, he was determined to take matters into his own wings.

Bonus: Each of the talonok main characters are based on existing talonok familiars. Kar'aak is a tengu, the peregrine siblings are raptorik ringmasters, and Tikitak is a greenwing razorclaw.
July 26, 2018

Word count: 3608

This story introduces created characters from the Talonok Beastclan. The Skyline dragons are unnamed in the story, but they are Providence, Pyrrhia, and Embyr the Sunspot Clouddancer.
This is by far the longest piece I've written for this challenge, and will have at least one more sequel. This is the backstory to an ongoing alliance between the Skyline Clan and their Beastclan allies: The North Cliffside Talonok Chapter.

The North Cliffside Talonok Chapter were a proud bunch. They considered themselves to be fine warriors, hunters, and foragers, eking out a comfortable life on the slopes of the cliffside territories, which the dragons called the Zephyr Steppes. But when yet another hunting party failed to return from their trip, Kar’aak knew something had to be done, and fast.

“It’s the third time in as many days,” he pointed out, to anyone who would stop long enough to listen, “at the same time, the dragons speak of harsher measures against our kind. It’s clear what happened to them.”

Most talonok chose to remain optimistic.

‘They got lost,’ they’d say.

‘Perhaps they’re tracking bigger game.’

‘You think too poorly of our finest prey-runners.’

As part of his job (compiling event logs from the raptoriks’ patrols), he had access to maps of all their regular routes. He sketched out his own copy on a piece of parchment, stashed it in his robe, and set off into the wilds of the territories.

Kar’aak decided to follow the shortest hunters’ route: Along the cliffs, up to the steppes, a short foray into the edge of a bamboo forest, then back to camp. He flew alongside the sheer rock walls, checking for the usual patrol markers, finding nothing out of the ordinary. He rose with the afternoon thermals to the Zephyr Steppes, steering clear of the budding clans that set up their lairs across the mesas.

Could they have run into some dragons? he wondered. But he found more patrol markers, little strips of ribbon inconspicuously tied around trees or bamboo stalks, in knots that indicated nothing out of the ordinary. Not here, at least.

That left one place to search: The bamboo forest.

Kar’aak wasn’t a big fan of bamboo. Their leaves and stalks blocked out the sun even in brightest day, and they grew so close together that he was always afraid he’d get stuck between two of them. But walking was out of the question; too dangerous.

He kept flying, albeit slower. The markers continued as usual, weaving through the widest gaps between the stalks.

But then, they just...stopped.

Kar’aak swung out his talons to perch just below the last marker, visually sweeping the area for the next one. None of the other bamboo stalks seemed to be marked. It was as if they’d ended their patrol right where he was standing.

He was about to take off again when he saw it: The next ribbon, seemingly floating in the air.

What?

Kar’aak watched it for a few seconds. It seemed to bob with the wind, though it didn’t move too much. He tilted his head, and saw it at once.

The ribbon wasn’t floating at all. It had been tied to a net, its mesh so thin that it was almost invisible under the light.

By shielding his eyes with one wing, Kar’aak could see that the hidden netting had been strung up between multiple stalks, forming an unbroken line as far as he could see. Between each net, he caught glimpses of feathers, arrows, and even torn strips of talonok cloth.

He could see the pattern tied into the patrol marker now. It meant ‘Danger!’.

There were half a dozen of them tied across the length of the netting.

He had to warn the Chapter, fast.

“They’re gone!” Kar’aak shrieked. “All of them!”

A few talonok snapped their heads up as the corven half-flapped, half-crashed back into their cliffside camp.

“What?”

“Who’s gone?”

“Be still, youngling! Catch your breath. Whatever news you bear can wait.”

Kar’aak staggered to his feet and coughed in a breath, then froze. “Wait. Did the hunters just leave by the forest route?”

“Yes, a few minutes ago. Why—”

“They’re in danger!” he shrieked. “Please, send someone and tell them to turn back!”

A pair of peregrine raptorik nodded to each other. The larger of the two took flight and zipped off in the direction of the patrol, while the other came to lay her talon on Kar’aak’s shoulder. “Skritch is the fastest bird I know. He’ll get there in time, don’t you worry. Now, what’s all this about?”

The corven spoke through gasping breaths. “Saw...nets in the bamboo forest...the patrol markers said danger...dragons kidnapping our hunters!”

Some of the listeners gasped.

“But why?”

“What do the dragons want with us?”

“So my sister’s been taken?”

“What’s going to happen to them?”

“Questions can come later,” the peregrine raised her voice, “for now, let’s wait until Skritch gets back. Then we can figure out what’s going on.”

There was plenty of mumbling all around, but the crowd eventually dispersed.

“We’ll have to hunt on the cliffsides now.”

“Maybe the other chapters can send reinforcements.”

“Will we have to abandon this outpost?”

Kar’aak sat down and fretted. The raptorik brought him some water to drink.

“What if he doesn’t get there in time?”

“He will.”

“But if he doesn’t— wait! I forgot to warn him about the nets!”

“By Talona! I’ll go after him.”

“Wait. I’ll come with you.”

The peregrine sized him up. “To be honest, corven, I’m not sure if you can keep up...”

“I know one section we can cut across. It’ll halve our travel time, easy.”

“Fine. Let’s go, then.”

Skritch was a raptorik of action, not words. If someone told him to do something, he did it, no need to think further. That being said, he was having a pretty hard time convincing the hunting patrol to do the same.

“You have to return to camp,” he repeated for the fifth time. “Kar’aak says it’s not safe.”

The team of five hunters hovering at the edge of the bamboo forest weren’t impressed.

“Kar’aak? The scroll-scratcher?”

“What’s the trouble?”

Hmm, good question. The young corven hadn’t given any actual details when he crash-landed into camp screeching about ‘all of them’ being ‘gone’, but with that language, it had to be urgent, right?

“I don’t know. But Kar’aak will explain when we get back. Come on, follow me.”

“Why should we listen to you?” some belligerent youngster asked. “For all we know, you could be lying about the whole thing.”

A few other hunters murmured their agreement.

“What? No! Why would I ever want to lie about something like this?”

“Then why can’t you give us a reason?”

“I— uh...”

Words were hard.

“That’s what I thought. Come on, let’s keep going.”

The patrol flew on ahead. Skritch caught up to them in half the wingbeats, and flew in front of and alongside them.

“Wait, if you would just listen to— ack!”

He crashed into some sort of invisible barrier. Thin cords of some sort wrapped around his wings, and the more he flapped, the more tangled up he got.

The hunters pulled up short, their eyes wide.

“What is that?”

“What’s wrong with him?”

One of the older raptorik inched closer, reaching out to feel the cords with his talons. “It’s a bird net. A strong one!”

“Look!” Another hunter pointed out the troubling markers strung up along its length. “The other patrols were here!”

“That’s what happened to them!”

“That’s what would’ve happened to us!”

“Skritch? Hold still. I’m going to try to cut the net.”

“No!” the peregrine said, as one of the corven approached with his hunting spear. “Fly back to camp, quickly!”

“But you’re—”

“I don’t know what Kar’aak was so afraid of. But the camp needs that food you’re carrying. We can’t afford all of you getting caught, too.”

“He’s right,” the youngster said, not so belligerent any more. “We’ve lost three patrols to this thing. If we don’t get back, the Chapter’ll starve.”

The patrol muttered amongst themselves. When the point raptor turned to Skritch, his golden eyes were sorrowful. “You’re right. Talona be with you, peregrine. We shouldn’t have been so stubborn earlier.”

With that, the talonok turned and flew back to camp, bearing their precious kills with them.

“So you say the nets were strung up in the bamboo forest?”

“Yes.”

“Exactly along the stretch that our patrols would take?”

“Correct.”

“So that means the dragons have been watching us. They knew where to set up. This is a targeted attack.”

“So all we have to do is change our patrol routes.”

“What if they just move the nets again...”

“Hmm, what if we swapped routes every other day— hey, wait! Is that the patrol?”

Kar’aak pointed to a formation flying towards them from the direction of the forest. He waved a silk-sleeved wing at them.

“Hey! Over here!”

The point raptor broke off and swooped down to meet them. “Kar’aak,” he greeted. “And Ski’cha. So you’re the one who sent Skritch after us? We’re in your debt.”

“Yes, that’s right. So you figured out about the nets already?”

“Yes. We’ll be changing our route this very evening.”

Ski’cha was craning her head around to inspect the patrol. “There’s five of you. Where’s Skritch?”

The hunterbird squirmed in mid-air, which looked a little like a shiver wracking his wings. “Well, uh...”

“He got caught,” a youngster blurted out.

“What! You left my brother in that net?! Why, you brown-beaked...”

Kar’aak placed himself between the peregrine and the patrol. “Forget it! It’s not their fault. Makoti, bring that food back to camp. The two of us will go get Skritch.”

The point raptor bowed his head. “Wind buoy you, friends.” He whistled to his patrol, and they continued on their path back to the Chapter.

Ski’cha shot off in a thundering of wingbeats, and Kar’aak followed her, trying not to think of all the things that could go wrong.

Skritch didn’t know what this blasted net was made of, but it would probably make excellent talonok clothing. He’d been sawing away at it with his knife for minutes, and at the rate he was going, the blade might actually break before he made any significant progress.

“How’s today’s pickings?”

The raptorik froze. That sounded like Draconic, and it was coming from far below him.

“Terrible. Only one today.”

“Can’t be. Search along the perimeter.”

More rustling of bamboo stalks. By tilting his head, Skritch could see a few dragons, mostly the big scary armoured types, stalking around through the forest far below.

“’Fraid so. Just one bird.”

“They’re on to us, boss.”

“We all knew this day would come. Come on, let’s just get this one down.”

Skritch felt a force tugging down on the net. He screeched a warcry, flapping his wings as much as the tangled cords would let him, and generally made a nuisance of himself as they pulled him in.

Some stalks rustled, then a new voice cut through the commotion.

“Hey, what— HEY! What are you doing?”

Strangely, the net stopped at the sound of this new voice, followed by growls of surprise. Skritch twisted his head around yet again, and saw two of the thinner, feathery type dragons leaping out of the undergrowth.

“What’s going on here? Why are you in Skyline territory?”

“Wait, ma’am, we can explain—”

“Our land is clearly marked. You couldn’t walk six paces without tripping over a trailblazer. And as far as we can see, none of you are Skyline Clan.”

“Please, just let—”

A sunspot clouddancer appeared out of nowhere, snarling at the larger dragons. Strangely, the way it was standing made it almost look like it was protecting one of the feathery dragons. But that would be ridiculous. Right?

“Get out. Now.”

“At least let us take our—”

“Those nets are Skyline property now. Get. Out.”

Muttering and snarling amongst themselves, the larger dragons released their hold on the net and flew out of the forest.

“Trappers,” the female feathery dragon spat. “No morals to speak of.”

Skritch was under the impression that all dragons had no morals to speak of. Maybe they just had different degrees of immorality?

The clouddancer had trotted over and was ripping into the net with his beak. The feathery dragon clicked her tongue, and to Skritch’s utter surprise, he backed off. What happened to the proud predator he’d always read about? Was this what the dragons were going to do to him?

“Here,” the female dragon said, passing a talonful of net to her male partner, “and be careful. These are yuccaweave cords.”

The other dragon nodded, and between the two of them, they began to lift and untangle the expanse of netting.

Skritch watched them both with a wary eye, keeping one talon wrapped tightly around his weapon. If only he had one of those fancy spears that the warriors always carried. Somehow, a pocketknife wasn’t as intimidating when your target was ten times your size.

The clouddancer came over and sat down beside Skritch’s head. Though his accent was off, he spoke decent talonok. “Put away your weapon, raptor. They’re only trying to help you.”

“Dragons? Help? Proud brother, I don’t know how they’ve brainwashed you, but—”

“No brainwashing at all. I am this Skydancer’s loyal familiar. Trust me: They don’t wish to harm you.”

“They’re dragons. They’ve been slaughtering our fellow beastkin since the dawn of the Fourth Age.”

“Not these dragons. The Skyline Clan is peaceful. I know: I didn’t believe it either at first. But with time, I realised that not all dragons are as brutal as we’ve been taught.”

Skritch felt the net slacken. The clouddancer stood, and with graceful picks of his claws, began to untangle the raptorik’s wings from of the cords. “Disbelieve me if you wish. But know this: If you lay a claw on my mistress, I will fight you to defend her.”

“Effective brainwashing,” Skritch muttered, and just then, he felt the weight of the net lift as the dragons tossed it away.

“You’re free to go, talonok. My mistress will not stop you.”

“Tell him they should change routes,” the male dragon said to the clouddancer. “Until we nab those trappers.”

“Already done,” Skritch told them, his knife still tightly clenched in one talon. He kept his eyes on the two dragons as he took flight, but then, with great difficulty, he acknowledged them with a nod. “Thank you.”

The dragons nodded back. They almost looked earnest about it. But Skritch wouldn’t be fooled.

All dragons were evil. These ones were just...down with the flu, probably. No need to think further than that.

“Careful,” Kar’aak said. “Here’s where I saw the nets.”

Ski’cha tilted her wings to slow herself, hovering at the very edge of the bamboo forest. She couldn’t really see any nets, but then again, it wouldn’t be much of a trap if so.

“Alright. Let’s do a perch-and-dash. My brother won’t be hard to find. He’s always squawking his head off, you could hear him a crow’s flight away.”

The two of them landed on their own separate stalks of bamboo, checking the area around them before half-leaping, half-gliding to the next.

Then Kar’aak whistled two sharp notes: Talonok code for ‘look down’.

Ski’cha did so. Far below them, a trio of dragons stumbled through the undergrowth, cursing and spitting amongst themselves. Could they be the dragons who’d set up the nets?

She clacked her beak back at him. ‘I’ll check,’ it meant.

She shimmied down the bamboo stalk, clinging almost sideways, like a woodpecker. She was terrible at Draconic, worse than even her dolt of a brother, and she cursed herself for not letting Kar’aak (the actual scholar) do the eavesdropping.

“Next time...before...”

“Sky clan...know they were here?”

“Rest of talonok...price...”

With claws and beak in tandem, she clambered her way back up to the corven. “Sounds like the culprits. But they didn’t have Skritch with them.”

“Oh no,” Kar’aak fretted, “what if they’ve killed him? Or eaten him? Or broken his wings and left him to die all alo—”

“Hey,” said a familiar voice, “don’t jinx it.”

Ski’cha took flight so suddenly that her bamboo stalk rattled from the impact. She tackled Skritch mid-air, and the siblings wing-embraced for a second before gravity forced them to retreat to perches one more.

“You’re alright! What happened? Did those dragons hurt you? Just give me the word, I’ll gouge their eyes out myself...”

“Well...” Her brother turned back to look into the forest. “Kind of the opposite, actually.”

“Wait. Just to clear things up for the records. Some dragons were about to kidnap you, but then some other dragons freed you?”

The setting sun far overhead did an adequate job of lighting the camp clearing, where the talonok of the North Cliffside Chapter were having their first full meal in three days. Kar’aak and the peregrine siblings sat together around a small bonfire, sharing a fillet of bamboo rat while the former wrote his incident report of the day’s happenings.

“Yes. Oh! And there was this clouddancer calling himself a ‘familiar’. If it matters, the net dragons were the big ones. Lots of armour, big wings.”

“You mean Guardians? Ridgebacks?”

“Yeah. Probably. And the dragons who freed me were the feathery ones.”

Ski’cha rolled her eyes. “Skydancers.”

“Yeah, whatever. And get this: The male said they were going to ‘nab the trappers’.”

Kar’aak tilted his head to one side. “Are you sure you heard that right? The Skydancer dragons are going to stop the trapper dragons?”

“I think so...”

“But that would mean the Skydancers...are on our side?”

“I know. Didn’t make sense to me, either. But that’s what I remember.”

“That’s...interesting.”

Ski’cha yawned widely. “I’m too tired for this level of moral complexity,” she declared. “Come on, brother. Time to turn in for the night.”

“You two go on ahead. I’ve got to make my report to the top talon.”

Skritch twittered a farewell to Kar’aak, before following his sibling up to the roost.

The corven wrapped up the rest of his report, tossed some ashes onto the fire to smother it, then set off to meet the Chapter head.

Tikitak’s office was a simple mud hut stuck to the sheer cliff-face, with open windows that overlooked the entire camp. He’d been leader of the Chapter for as long as anyone could remember, by virtue of his decisive planning, combat prowess, and crystal-clear foresight.

The old greenwing looked up as Kar’aak placed his scroll at his desk. “Evening’s tidings, Kar’aak. Makoti told me how you and the peregrine saved today’s hunting patrol. On behalf of the entire Chapter, we thank you for your actions.”

“Just looking out for my fellow beastkin,” Kar’aak replied. “Do you have a moment to talk?”

“Of course.”

“Skritch told me that the Skydancers in the bamboo forest freed him. They also said they were going after the dragons that took our hunters. I think it might be...beneficial— I mean, would it be possible for us to maybe form an alliance?”

Tikitak laughed, in a deep, harsh squawk. “Dragons, on our side? Have you been reading too many storyscrolls?”

“Well...”

The raptorik leader picked up the incident scroll and unrolled it. “Today was most fortuitous, and I don’t deny your involvement in that. But we do not, have not, will not associate with dragons, no matter what the reason.”

Tikitak skimmed the report, but as he reached the midway point, he frowned. “Kar’aak, do you know what a familiar is?”

“The clouddancer was one. Skritch said he was loyal to the Skydancer.”

“Trained loyalty,” Tikitak muttered. “D’you know how they do it? They beat it into you. They use punishment and intimidation to turn proud creatures like that clouddancer into simpering pets.”

“Skritch said the clouddancer looked happy. Obedient to the dragon, but still happy. I don’t think—”

“Oh, but that’s not all. They make you fight their battles for them. Against overwhelming odds, you’re expected to die for them. When you’re limping away from a wartoad with a broken wing, only to have them throw you right back into the fray, your perception of dragons tends to shift.”

“But surely some of them could be decent!”

Tikitak shrugged his parda-skin robe off his shoulders. His breast and upper back were lacerated with scars, bare patches where the feathers would never grow back, strange runic burns snaking black lines across his skin.

Dragon claw marks. Dragon magic.

“I’m sorry,” Kar’aak murmured.

“So now you know. This is what dragons do to our kind. I won’t hear any more talk of an ‘alliance’ with these monsters. Dismissed.”

Kar’aak bowed his head, cawed a goodnight to the greenwing, and flew off to roost with his fellow corven.

“Good evening,” his neighbour, a greybeak ritualist, said as he settled down beside her. “I heard about you rescuing the hunting patrol. This Chapter needs more brave talonok like you.”

“Thank you. But there’s still the matter of the other three patrols that went missing.”

“I’m sure they’ll be fine. Talona will guide their path home.”

“Maybe.”

The greybeak tucked her beak into her wing and went to sleep. But Kar’aak sat wide awake in his nest bed, the image of the net and its fluttering patrol markers burned into his mind.

15 good talonok were still missing. And though they were clearly on everyones’ minds, the entire Chapter was collectively pretending nothing was wrong. To them, it was just another peril of living so close to dragons. Burying their heads in the sand was easier than trying to do something about it.

Bonus: Each of the talonok main characters are based on existing talonok familiars. Kar'aak is a tengu, the peregrine siblings are raptorik ringmasters, and Tikitak is a greenwing razorclaw.
August 2, 2018

Word count: 1117

The main cast of this piece consists of two theoretical hatchlings who don't exist. Canonically, they are the daughters of Magister and an unknown mother.

All side characters mentioned in the piece can be found in my Skyline Clan, starting on the last row of page 1 and continuing through page 2.

The best time of the month had rolled around once more.

If the Skyline Clan was happy before, they were euphoric now. Hatchlings scrambled over the rooftops, laying garlands of laurels across the eaves, while the adults prepared a lavish feast of fruits, vegetables, and insects in the camp clearing. Even the Trickster Three had put their usual antics on hold; they did their share by piling soft leaves into two ‘thrones’ for the guests-of-honour.

The special occasion? Exaltation.

Steladar and Nakia, daughters of the clan’s artist Magister, had chosen to join the Windsinger’s ranks as exaltees: The highest honour any dragon could hope to receive in their lifetime. As was traditional for the Skyline Clan, they’d gone through the three necessary steps: Consulted with their father, gained the approval of five of their clanmates, and finally, brought their decision to Cirrus herself. Of course, by this point, their intentions were clear to all, and the leader had little to do but declare them fit to serve their deity.

Tonight, under the light of the full moon, the clan would celebrate their departure. Before they took off at the crack of dawn, this was a time for farewells and ‘fare-wells’ alike.

Though the moonlight cast a soft glow upon the gathering, the Skyline dragons stoked a grand bonfire at the heart of their camp. Clanmates young and old emerged from their dens, forming a rough circle around the crackling pit.

First came the clan founders: Cirrus, Nimbus, Cumulus, Sacrosanct, taking their usual places beside the seats of honour.

Then came the senior members: The likes of Khthonios, Silvia, Horus, and Amalthea. The latter brought an entourage of hatchlings from the nursery with her; though they chattered and giggled amongst themselves, they quickly behaved when the caretaker shushed them.

The rest of the clan filtered in: Fledglings, young dragons without named roles, patrollers and hunters coming in from their rounds.

Finally, the exaltees themselves emerged from their hut: Steladar and Nakia, shimmering Skydancer sisters with their father’s distinct smoky markings. They settled themselves on their ‘thrones’, and Cirrus rose to address them.

“Hear me, my clan. We are gathered here today to honour these two brave souls who have answered the call of the Windsinger Himself. Though to part is a great heartbreak, we know that their decision was made in excellent conscience and with the best wishes of their clan. And so, on this most hallowed night, they must shed their mortal bonds, that they may ascend to His exalted steading.”

The sisters nodded solemnly. They’d seen their fair share of sending-off ceremonies, and as Cirrus held out her talon, they undid the violet corsages around their wrists and placed them in her palm. They glowed briefly, as they had been enchanted to do under the leader’s talon, before reverting to ordinary flowers. The enchantment only applied to current members of the Skyline Clan.

“Yours is a difficult path to walk, but a righteous one. Leave this clan with your heads high, knowing that you head for the highest purpose any dragon could have.

“To you, brave and noble souls, I wish a fulfilling life. May your heart stay aglow, your legend always grow, and your curiosity overflow. Leave a legacy we can all be proud of. May the Windsinger light your path.”

The clan bowed their heads, the silence broken only by the steady crackle of the flames. Cirrus looked around, her crest feathers rising in amusement. “Why so solemn? This is a time for celebration!”

Her words were the spark to the fire of the party.

Eostre and Ararauna leapt to their feet and began to dance about the clearing. Some of the adolescents joined them, followed by some adults. Others reached for the plates of food that had been kept warm by the bonfire. Erelah pulled out her lyre and began to play a merry tune, shifting her wings to ring their chimes in harmony. The clearing became a bright beacon in an otherwise dark bamboo forest.

Even the exaltees themselves joined the festivities: Sampling the various dishes, dancing in time to the music, talking and laughing with the dragons they once called clanmates. There was no ill-will or resentment here, only a drive to make the most of their final night with their friends and family.

The celebrations went on through the night. At some point, one of the adults brought out a keg of rice wine, and tipsy voices erupted into cheerful song. Soon, the eldest of the clan began to retire to their nests. The exaltees, however, remained sober, only filling their bellies with high-energy cricket muesli and berry salad.

Far to the east, the sun began to rise. Steladar and Nakia knew that it was time to leave. Washing down their last bites with a drink of cool spring water, they walked in unison out of the camp, through the forest, to the very edge of Skyline territory. They took nothing with them; they wouldn’t need belongings where they were headed.

The sky was still dim, and the birds hadn’t yet begun their dawn chorus. One Skydancer had followed them out: Their father, Magister, a stark figure against the familiar forests they had grown up in.

“We have to leave now, father,” Nakia said. She spoke evenly, but her green eyes sparkled with unshed tears.

“I know,” he said. He shifted from foot to foot and flicked his tail. “And I know you still want to know the answer.”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Steladar said. “Nothing matters once we’re with the Windsinger.”

“But you still deserve to know. And now that you’re not Skyline, I can finally tell you the truth.”

The siblings waited, keeping an eye on the looming daylight.

“She’s a beautiful Coatl. An artist, like myself, but of words, not paint. It devastated her to leave your eggs with me, but we knew the Skyline would be far more tolerant of you than her own clan.”

Magister waited for the shock, the anger, the disbelief. But his daughters’ only responses were serene, relaxed nods. Closure, nothing more. That was all that mattered to them.

“You might meet her, some day. She loves to visit the Windsinger and speak to His exaltees to find her next feature story.”

“How will we know it’s her?”

“You’ll know, with just a single glance. There’s no other dragon quite like her.”

“Thank you, father. For everything.”

“No. Thank you, for giving me the honour of raising two wonderful daughters.”

As the sun rose in full force, its radiant light illuminated the silhouettes of two dragons flying west, appearing to all the world as though the Windsinger Himself had lit their path.
August 2, 2018

Word count: 1117

The main cast of this piece consists of two theoretical hatchlings who don't exist. Canonically, they are the daughters of Magister and an unknown mother.

All side characters mentioned in the piece can be found in my Skyline Clan, starting on the last row of page 1 and continuing through page 2.

The best time of the month had rolled around once more.

If the Skyline Clan was happy before, they were euphoric now. Hatchlings scrambled over the rooftops, laying garlands of laurels across the eaves, while the adults prepared a lavish feast of fruits, vegetables, and insects in the camp clearing. Even the Trickster Three had put their usual antics on hold; they did their share by piling soft leaves into two ‘thrones’ for the guests-of-honour.

The special occasion? Exaltation.

Steladar and Nakia, daughters of the clan’s artist Magister, had chosen to join the Windsinger’s ranks as exaltees: The highest honour any dragon could hope to receive in their lifetime. As was traditional for the Skyline Clan, they’d gone through the three necessary steps: Consulted with their father, gained the approval of five of their clanmates, and finally, brought their decision to Cirrus herself. Of course, by this point, their intentions were clear to all, and the leader had little to do but declare them fit to serve their deity.

Tonight, under the light of the full moon, the clan would celebrate their departure. Before they took off at the crack of dawn, this was a time for farewells and ‘fare-wells’ alike.

Though the moonlight cast a soft glow upon the gathering, the Skyline dragons stoked a grand bonfire at the heart of their camp. Clanmates young and old emerged from their dens, forming a rough circle around the crackling pit.

First came the clan founders: Cirrus, Nimbus, Cumulus, Sacrosanct, taking their usual places beside the seats of honour.

Then came the senior members: The likes of Khthonios, Silvia, Horus, and Amalthea. The latter brought an entourage of hatchlings from the nursery with her; though they chattered and giggled amongst themselves, they quickly behaved when the caretaker shushed them.

The rest of the clan filtered in: Fledglings, young dragons without named roles, patrollers and hunters coming in from their rounds.

Finally, the exaltees themselves emerged from their hut: Steladar and Nakia, shimmering Skydancer sisters with their father’s distinct smoky markings. They settled themselves on their ‘thrones’, and Cirrus rose to address them.

“Hear me, my clan. We are gathered here today to honour these two brave souls who have answered the call of the Windsinger Himself. Though to part is a great heartbreak, we know that their decision was made in excellent conscience and with the best wishes of their clan. And so, on this most hallowed night, they must shed their mortal bonds, that they may ascend to His exalted steading.”

The sisters nodded solemnly. They’d seen their fair share of sending-off ceremonies, and as Cirrus held out her talon, they undid the violet corsages around their wrists and placed them in her palm. They glowed briefly, as they had been enchanted to do under the leader’s talon, before reverting to ordinary flowers. The enchantment only applied to current members of the Skyline Clan.

“Yours is a difficult path to walk, but a righteous one. Leave this clan with your heads high, knowing that you head for the highest purpose any dragon could have.

“To you, brave and noble souls, I wish a fulfilling life. May your heart stay aglow, your legend always grow, and your curiosity overflow. Leave a legacy we can all be proud of. May the Windsinger light your path.”

The clan bowed their heads, the silence broken only by the steady crackle of the flames. Cirrus looked around, her crest feathers rising in amusement. “Why so solemn? This is a time for celebration!”

Her words were the spark to the fire of the party.

Eostre and Ararauna leapt to their feet and began to dance about the clearing. Some of the adolescents joined them, followed by some adults. Others reached for the plates of food that had been kept warm by the bonfire. Erelah pulled out her lyre and began to play a merry tune, shifting her wings to ring their chimes in harmony. The clearing became a bright beacon in an otherwise dark bamboo forest.

Even the exaltees themselves joined the festivities: Sampling the various dishes, dancing in time to the music, talking and laughing with the dragons they once called clanmates. There was no ill-will or resentment here, only a drive to make the most of their final night with their friends and family.

The celebrations went on through the night. At some point, one of the adults brought out a keg of rice wine, and tipsy voices erupted into cheerful song. Soon, the eldest of the clan began to retire to their nests. The exaltees, however, remained sober, only filling their bellies with high-energy cricket muesli and berry salad.

Far to the east, the sun began to rise. Steladar and Nakia knew that it was time to leave. Washing down their last bites with a drink of cool spring water, they walked in unison out of the camp, through the forest, to the very edge of Skyline territory. They took nothing with them; they wouldn’t need belongings where they were headed.

The sky was still dim, and the birds hadn’t yet begun their dawn chorus. One Skydancer had followed them out: Their father, Magister, a stark figure against the familiar forests they had grown up in.

“We have to leave now, father,” Nakia said. She spoke evenly, but her green eyes sparkled with unshed tears.

“I know,” he said. He shifted from foot to foot and flicked his tail. “And I know you still want to know the answer.”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Steladar said. “Nothing matters once we’re with the Windsinger.”

“But you still deserve to know. And now that you’re not Skyline, I can finally tell you the truth.”

The siblings waited, keeping an eye on the looming daylight.

“She’s a beautiful Coatl. An artist, like myself, but of words, not paint. It devastated her to leave your eggs with me, but we knew the Skyline would be far more tolerant of you than her own clan.”

Magister waited for the shock, the anger, the disbelief. But his daughters’ only responses were serene, relaxed nods. Closure, nothing more. That was all that mattered to them.

“You might meet her, some day. She loves to visit the Windsinger and speak to His exaltees to find her next feature story.”

“How will we know it’s her?”

“You’ll know, with just a single glance. There’s no other dragon quite like her.”

“Thank you, father. For everything.”

“No. Thank you, for giving me the honour of raising two wonderful daughters.”

As the sun rose in full force, its radiant light illuminated the silhouettes of two dragons flying west, appearing to all the world as though the Windsinger Himself had lit their path.