Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Coli camp/captcha accessibility update
1 2 3 4
Always supporting a change to the Coli captcha stuff. I have pretty good vision and I still struggle with those wretched things - especially when the dragon is sitting on a part of the background that matches it.
Always supporting a change to the Coli captcha stuff. I have pretty good vision and I still struggle with those wretched things - especially when the dragon is sitting on a part of the background that matches it.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
[quote name="Litha" date="2021-10-15 12:22:26" ] Absolutely, 100% support. I've got poor vision but not the worst, and it's still a nightmare. There has to be a better way. [/quote]
Litha wrote on 2021-10-15 12:22:26:
Absolutely, 100% support. I've got poor vision but not the worst, and it's still a nightmare. There has to be a better way.
Huge old dragon purge here. All under 2mil ID digits (T/G) accepted. 6 digits, leveled dragons, earth dragons, old coatls, unbreds, xxy, etc all for sale please make offers
Support. I have good vision (at a close range, ie when looking at my laptop) and I still struggle with these. Even something simple, like putting all the items on a plain background instead of allowing a green dragon to be on a green tree, will be much better than what we have. Because as this stands, it's a massive accessibility problem that has been ignored for years. That's not a good look.
Support. I have good vision (at a close range, ie when looking at my laptop) and I still struggle with these. Even something simple, like putting all the items on a plain background instead of allowing a green dragon to be on a green tree, will be much better than what we have. Because as this stands, it's a massive accessibility problem that has been ignored for years. That's not a good look.
jCVhFoZ.gif
Please! At the very least could we have an alternate captcha, the way all those stupid 'click all the squares with a thing' also let you do an audio version where you transcribe the words from a snippet of talking. You know...for folks who can't do the image one.

I am probably among the least affected by these, aside from when I tap the dragon and it doesn't register as correct I very rarely have that much trouble with them. Think I've been locked out maybe once ever and I use the coli daily.

But that doesn't make the current system acceptable, the captchas still suck for a lot of players and I want to see that fixed for them. It's not ok that a major part of gameplay is unavailable for people because the captcha system is faulty.
By all means let's stop bots, that's fine.
What's not fine is "let's stop bots AND players with vision issues" that's not an appropriate compromise to fix the problem of botting and the fact it's gone on this long unaddressed is upsetting.
Please! At the very least could we have an alternate captcha, the way all those stupid 'click all the squares with a thing' also let you do an audio version where you transcribe the words from a snippet of talking. You know...for folks who can't do the image one.

I am probably among the least affected by these, aside from when I tap the dragon and it doesn't register as correct I very rarely have that much trouble with them. Think I've been locked out maybe once ever and I use the coli daily.

But that doesn't make the current system acceptable, the captchas still suck for a lot of players and I want to see that fixed for them. It's not ok that a major part of gameplay is unavailable for people because the captcha system is faulty.
By all means let's stop bots, that's fine.
What's not fine is "let's stop bots AND players with vision issues" that's not an appropriate compromise to fix the problem of botting and the fact it's gone on this long unaddressed is upsetting.
Support
Support
EggForumNebula2150hightiny.png
These are some versions of a random captcha with simulated vision impairments. These were simulated with the built in firefox accessibility tool for developers. [b]No Red (Protanopia)[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/2BD8uJ8.png[/img] [b]No Green (Deuteranopia)[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/PkfsK5z.png[/img] [b]No Blue (Tritanopia)[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/yQc0d3I.png[/img] [b]No Colour (Achromatopsia)[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/aywz0n2.png[/img] [b]Contrast loss[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/eOh0mNi.png[/img] Any of these coupled with vision loss would make choosing the dragons next to impossible.
These are some versions of a random captcha with simulated vision impairments. These were simulated with the built in firefox accessibility tool for developers.

No Red (Protanopia)
2BD8uJ8.png
No Green (Deuteranopia)
PkfsK5z.png
No Blue (Tritanopia)
yQc0d3I.png
No Colour (Achromatopsia)
aywz0n2.png
Contrast loss
eOh0mNi.png

Any of these coupled with vision loss would make choosing the dragons next to impossible.
FObX7rS.png WQA384m.png
hh5n4WA.png WvEXipG.pngA6Pqy3l.png
Support. I dont have any form of color blindness but even when there are familiars with larger wings I sometimes will mistake them for the dragon because the dragon has so many genes drowning it out into the background, I've also clicked like one pixel to the side of it and have failed captchas that way too. I think they overall need to be easier to spot.
Support. I dont have any form of color blindness but even when there are familiars with larger wings I sometimes will mistake them for the dragon because the dragon has so many genes drowning it out into the background, I've also clicked like one pixel to the side of it and have failed captchas that way too. I think they overall need to be easier to spot.
ezgif.com-resize_3.gif ezgif.com-resize_4.gif ezgif.com-gif-maker_16.gif
Seconding, though I'd contend the Coli needs a rework so that a captcha isn't necessary. I've got great vision for small details on screens, and that captcha is always a headache. I was in the coli earlier today, and the captchas reminded me why I left. The grind is mind numbing enough, but then you're snapped out of it to squint at a low-contrast jumble of images for a Stat boost that's more often inconsequential than not, it's just annoying. When playing a game, I should feel things that aren't boredom or annoyance. That's a problem.

The captcha was put in because too many people were using bots/scripts to grind the coli because it's been so thoroughly solved that it can be automated. If it were more complex/engaging that wouldn't be an issue. This isn't the thread to talk about what could be done to solve that, but I think it would be unfair to ignore the root of the issue. Namely, that the captchas were not the right solution to botting/scripting in the coli.
Seconding, though I'd contend the Coli needs a rework so that a captcha isn't necessary. I've got great vision for small details on screens, and that captcha is always a headache. I was in the coli earlier today, and the captchas reminded me why I left. The grind is mind numbing enough, but then you're snapped out of it to squint at a low-contrast jumble of images for a Stat boost that's more often inconsequential than not, it's just annoying. When playing a game, I should feel things that aren't boredom or annoyance. That's a problem.

The captcha was put in because too many people were using bots/scripts to grind the coli because it's been so thoroughly solved that it can be automated. If it were more complex/engaging that wouldn't be an issue. This isn't the thread to talk about what could be done to solve that, but I think it would be unfair to ignore the root of the issue. Namely, that the captchas were not the right solution to botting/scripting in the coli.
fA9EDFQ.png x9ADy1B.png dnuQeRf.png
Support 1000%!

I have horrible vision and tiny subjects (including fonts!)/bright colors hurt my eyes.
I play on my iPad when not on the computer, and even the "zoom" function doesn't help, especially when the site/Coli lags on it as is.

It would just be so much easier to use a plain (non blinding) background color and have the different creatures in more accessible colors for those with different problems; for example, maybe white so hopefully they'll be easier to see for most?

I honestly don't know how many/what kinds of eye problems there are besides color blindness and general blindness/generic bad vision.
Support 1000%!

I have horrible vision and tiny subjects (including fonts!)/bright colors hurt my eyes.
I play on my iPad when not on the computer, and even the "zoom" function doesn't help, especially when the site/Coli lags on it as is.

It would just be so much easier to use a plain (non blinding) background color and have the different creatures in more accessible colors for those with different problems; for example, maybe white so hopefully they'll be easier to see for most?

I honestly don't know how many/what kinds of eye problems there are besides color blindness and general blindness/generic bad vision.
Support always now and forever. I can usually get through the captcha but I don't look for a dragon - I look for where the pixel detail is different because the dragons are always smushed to a smaller size relative to everything else.
Support always now and forever. I can usually get through the captcha but I don't look for a dragon - I look for where the pixel detail is different because the dragons are always smushed to a smaller size relative to everything else.
1 2 3 4