Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users and Forum Threads
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No support. People block for all sorts of personal reasons-- sometimes they are blocking you because they disagree with you and it irritates them, or the style of font you use offends them, or your signature is too busy or they don't like your avatar. You don't have to be the "right" one when blocking them, so you shouldn't get to decide whether they can post in your thread. It's public; it's everybody's thread.

It's your decision to block them. Maybe consider unblocking them for good if you still want to read what they say.

I made a suggestion similar to this-- I didn't want people who blocked me/I blocked back to see what I was posting because I didn't want to get quoted by them. Many other users quickly pointed out some problems with that, and I entirely agree now:
Blocked users can't see your forum posts
No support. People block for all sorts of personal reasons-- sometimes they are blocking you because they disagree with you and it irritates them, or the style of font you use offends them, or your signature is too busy or they don't like your avatar. You don't have to be the "right" one when blocking them, so you shouldn't get to decide whether they can post in your thread. It's public; it's everybody's thread.

It's your decision to block them. Maybe consider unblocking them for good if you still want to read what they say.

I made a suggestion similar to this-- I didn't want people who blocked me/I blocked back to see what I was posting because I didn't want to get quoted by them. Many other users quickly pointed out some problems with that, and I entirely agree now:
Blocked users can't see your forum posts
you can report people for block evasion and they will be penalized if they attempt to interact with you past the block. i think it's a good compromise.

this also extends to proxy stuff as well.
you can report people for block evasion and they will be penalized if they attempt to interact with you past the block. i think it's a good compromise.

this also extends to proxy stuff as well.
act
imp inthusiast
he/him
please ping on reply
Wq7yxTc.gif
exchange
Nearku%2527s%2BDya.png
hatchbannersmall.png
[quote name="Crowbar" date="2020-11-14 10:28:53" ] I do feel the whole “forums are public” argument is a little bogus given that most other social media wont let blocked users see your stuff. If its a concern for the bug report forum that could be made exception. This site really needs better blocking. [/quote] The difference is that Flight Rising is not a social media site. It's a web game with a [i]public[/i] forums. Blocking already prevents a person from commenting on your profile page. That's the equivalent of blocking somebody on any social media site. They cannot interact with you directly in your private space and anybody who tries to circumvent that can be reported to the mods. Anyway no support. They tried to introduce something like this not too long ago and it was a huge mess for all the reasons people have brought up. The Devs then rolled the changes back. I do support a more useful tiered blocking system so that players who block for things like starving dragons as opposed to content don't have to unblock to follow a conversation on the forums and the like.
Crowbar wrote on 2020-11-14 10:28:53:
I do feel the whole “forums are public” argument is a little bogus given that most other social media wont let blocked users see your stuff. If its a concern for the bug report forum that could be made exception. This site really needs better blocking.

The difference is that Flight Rising is not a social media site. It's a web game with a public forums.

Blocking already prevents a person from commenting on your profile page. That's the equivalent of blocking somebody on any social media site. They cannot interact with you directly in your private space and anybody who tries to circumvent that can be reported to the mods.

Anyway no support. They tried to introduce something like this not too long ago and it was a huge mess for all the reasons people have brought up. The Devs then rolled the changes back.

I do support a more useful tiered blocking system so that players who block for things like starving dragons as opposed to content don't have to unblock to follow a conversation on the forums and the like.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
[quote]No support because I prefer when people don't know they've been blocked. There used to be a point where you couldn't see a player's posts and a little blocked message showed up instead and it just created more drama than necessary.[/quote] Pretty much this. I blocked someone during this time period and they noticed within minutes and publicly called me out for it. Not a fun night.
Quote:
No support because I prefer when people don't know they've been blocked. There used to be a point where you couldn't see a player's posts and a little blocked message showed up instead and it just created more drama than necessary.
Pretty much this. I blocked someone during this time period and they noticed within minutes and publicly called me out for it. Not a fun night.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
No support. Like a few others here, I'd prefer folks not know if I blocked them. I feel like blocks are meant to help a user avoid drama with other users, and in most circumstances that is best served by not tipping the blocker's hand.

Besides that, though, there are a LOT of forums where it would be a bad idea to prevent blocked users from seeing a post, or from posting. Bug reports is obvious. Suggestions is obvious. Guides. Flight Dom boards. Possibly even places like Forum Games, where it usually doesn't matter who the OP is. Those meme threads that inexplicably become part of site culture. Any thread that a mod or admin comments in.
No support. Like a few others here, I'd prefer folks not know if I blocked them. I feel like blocks are meant to help a user avoid drama with other users, and in most circumstances that is best served by not tipping the blocker's hand.

Besides that, though, there are a LOT of forums where it would be a bad idea to prevent blocked users from seeing a post, or from posting. Bug reports is obvious. Suggestions is obvious. Guides. Flight Dom boards. Possibly even places like Forum Games, where it usually doesn't matter who the OP is. Those meme threads that inexplicably become part of site culture. Any thread that a mod or admin comments in.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
No support-this could very easily lead to bullying. One user could tell their friends to block someone they don't like. When users have upwards of 100+ friends, the person getting blocked could be excluded from a lot. There's no reason for someone not to be able to participate in threads like the December Kindness Challenge/Post your current thought/Dominance thread just to name a few. Additionally, even though a lot of people are using Twitter as an example, to my knowledge Twitter is 100% free and this site is not. Can you imagine spending real money on gems, and then a month later upsetting someone and getting blocked from a bunch of threads?

If someone is harassing you and contacting you even though you've block them, by all means that isn't okay and should be reported.

No support-this could very easily lead to bullying. One user could tell their friends to block someone they don't like. When users have upwards of 100+ friends, the person getting blocked could be excluded from a lot. There's no reason for someone not to be able to participate in threads like the December Kindness Challenge/Post your current thought/Dominance thread just to name a few. Additionally, even though a lot of people are using Twitter as an example, to my knowledge Twitter is 100% free and this site is not. Can you imagine spending real money on gems, and then a month later upsetting someone and getting blocked from a bunch of threads?

If someone is harassing you and contacting you even though you've block them, by all means that isn't okay and should be reported.

I'm slightly conflicted on this, the users I know personally who have blocked people have done so because of harassment and cyber stalking across multiple sites. Not to mention things like art theft, impersonation, and attempts to work around block systems. In those cases the users being harassed have been absolutely miserable and frequently cowed from interacting on forums at all because that user or their "friends" would seek out their threads and bother them on purpose, usually by spamming or referencing bad situations on the other sites they were involved in that would be too vague for FR staff alone to verify.
It would be nice if certain threads you created could not be posted on by blocked users, such as someone mentioned a hatchery thread, since a blocked user would be unable to buy your dragons anyway. But for things such as suggestion threads and general discussion, it would be incredibly unfair for certain people to be unable to add their opinions just because a particular user who blocked them had started the thread.

I think in extreme cases you'll have to contact FR staff and explain the situation if possible, but unless you have proof that a certain user is seeking you out and harassing you there isn't much you can do regardless of what site you're on.

I would like it if blocked posts were not visible at all, though. A toggle to remove the message entirely would be preferable.
I'm slightly conflicted on this, the users I know personally who have blocked people have done so because of harassment and cyber stalking across multiple sites. Not to mention things like art theft, impersonation, and attempts to work around block systems. In those cases the users being harassed have been absolutely miserable and frequently cowed from interacting on forums at all because that user or their "friends" would seek out their threads and bother them on purpose, usually by spamming or referencing bad situations on the other sites they were involved in that would be too vague for FR staff alone to verify.
It would be nice if certain threads you created could not be posted on by blocked users, such as someone mentioned a hatchery thread, since a blocked user would be unable to buy your dragons anyway. But for things such as suggestion threads and general discussion, it would be incredibly unfair for certain people to be unable to add their opinions just because a particular user who blocked them had started the thread.

I think in extreme cases you'll have to contact FR staff and explain the situation if possible, but unless you have proof that a certain user is seeking you out and harassing you there isn't much you can do regardless of what site you're on.

I would like it if blocked posts were not visible at all, though. A toggle to remove the message entirely would be preferable.
I am on the fence here.
On one side I can completely understand wanting to prevent blocked people from commenting on 'personal' threads in the dragon share or skins and accents.

However on the other side are forums I wouldn't want to exclude people just cause I blocked them (I also block liberally. Just because I blocked someone doesn't mean I hate them). For example recently someone I blocked commented on my thread in the Suggestion forum, with which I have absolutely no problem (I know they blocked me too, sooo it's kinda block evasion but in that case I don't really care).

I feel like there are more reasons against it than for it, so no support. I think it's important that people still get to access to bug reports, guides and the likes.
I am on the fence here.
On one side I can completely understand wanting to prevent blocked people from commenting on 'personal' threads in the dragon share or skins and accents.

However on the other side are forums I wouldn't want to exclude people just cause I blocked them (I also block liberally. Just because I blocked someone doesn't mean I hate them). For example recently someone I blocked commented on my thread in the Suggestion forum, with which I have absolutely no problem (I know they blocked me too, sooo it's kinda block evasion but in that case I don't really care).

I feel like there are more reasons against it than for it, so no support. I think it's important that people still get to access to bug reports, guides and the likes.
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
I could support the "this user is blocked" message being hidden on the forums (ironically I am seeing it on this thread lol)

I don't block nilly willy either, and for me it's more of a "I don't wanna remember you exist" thing if I do if that makes sense. I have the same issue with discord because it still shows the blocked person has posted something when ideally, i don't wanna know.

Perhaps with a toggle in account settings so you can show or hide the "user is blocked" thing on the forums, that way the blocked person can still post but if you hide it you won't see that message. I feel that is the best solution
I could support the "this user is blocked" message being hidden on the forums (ironically I am seeing it on this thread lol)

I don't block nilly willy either, and for me it's more of a "I don't wanna remember you exist" thing if I do if that makes sense. I have the same issue with discord because it still shows the blocked person has posted something when ideally, i don't wanna know.

Perhaps with a toggle in account settings so you can show or hide the "user is blocked" thing on the forums, that way the blocked person can still post but if you hide it you won't see that message. I feel that is the best solution
DVcXRyP.png
support, blocking on this site is literally useless the way it is now. blocking is supposed to make the user unable to interact with YOU, not the other way around.

everybody on here being like "forums are public" clearly has not been online out of pet games? any site like twitter, tumblr, etc. wont let blocked users interact with your content, sometimes they wont even let blocked users SEE your content.
support, blocking on this site is literally useless the way it is now. blocking is supposed to make the user unable to interact with YOU, not the other way around.

everybody on here being like "forums are public" clearly has not been online out of pet games? any site like twitter, tumblr, etc. wont let blocked users interact with your content, sometimes they wont even let blocked users SEE your content.

tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8