Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users and Forum Threads
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote]100% agree. i think the blocked person should still be able to see the post, but definitely not be able to reply or interact with it.[/quote] But how would that work? When I quote things, 90% of the time it's because I've copied and pasted something, not because I hit the quote button. And if I did hit the quote button and I'd been blocked by that person, would I then know that person had blocked me with an error message or something? Would people who blocked me not have the quote button on them so that I know they've blocked me? Right now I don't know who's blocked me unless I go to their lair or something... so most people I don't know whether they've blocked me. Honestly, I only know if someone has blocked me when I'm in Dragon Share because that's the only place I visit people's lairs. Honestly, I think a block should just be to protect the person who blocked. Not punish the person who was blocked. Because it's possible that person did nothing wrong. The admin along should have the ability to punish players by limiting their experience of the site, including public forums.
Quote:
100% agree. i think the blocked person should still be able to see the post, but definitely not be able to reply or interact with it.
But how would that work? When I quote things, 90% of the time it's because I've copied and pasted something, not because I hit the quote button. And if I did hit the quote button and I'd been blocked by that person, would I then know that person had blocked me with an error message or something? Would people who blocked me not have the quote button on them so that I know they've blocked me?

Right now I don't know who's blocked me unless I go to their lair or something... so most people I don't know whether they've blocked me. Honestly, I only know if someone has blocked me when I'm in Dragon Share because that's the only place I visit people's lairs.

Honestly, I think a block should just be to protect the person who blocked. Not punish the person who was blocked. Because it's possible that person did nothing wrong. The admin along should have the ability to punish players by limiting their experience of the site, including public forums.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@Greyjoy
that does make sense, i hadn't really thought about it that way. i still stand by thinking that even if the person can reply to your forum posts, there definitely needs to be an option to toggle visibility of that post without unblocking said person.
@Greyjoy
that does make sense, i hadn't really thought about it that way. i still stand by thinking that even if the person can reply to your forum posts, there definitely needs to be an option to toggle visibility of that post without unblocking said person.
[quote]If you have to unblock somebody to read what they've put on your public suggestion/game/whatever thread, purely because you just can't stand not knowing, that's 100% a you problem.[/quote] Also wanted to add this that even still I would like the ability to see the posts of someone I've blocked because I very, very rarely block for some "forum" reason. I block because they're selling starved dragons or something and that's just annoying and I don't want to have to scroll past their dragons all the time to get to the next eligible one. I feel like having to unblock to see what they post is something that should be addressed. I'm sure there are other reasons people have blocked that have nothing to do with their forum behavior, so... I think there should be an option somewhere for that.
Quote:
If you have to unblock somebody to read what they've put on your public suggestion/game/whatever thread, purely because you just can't stand not knowing, that's 100% a you problem.
Also wanted to add this that even still I would like the ability to see the posts of someone I've blocked because I very, very rarely block for some "forum" reason. I block because they're selling starved dragons or something and that's just annoying and I don't want to have to scroll past their dragons all the time to get to the next eligible one. I feel like having to unblock to see what they post is something that should be addressed.

I'm sure there are other reasons people have blocked that have nothing to do with their forum behavior, so... I think there should be an option somewhere for that.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2020-11-26 18:51:53" ] [quote]If you have to unblock somebody to read what they've put on your public suggestion/game/whatever thread, purely because you just can't stand not knowing, that's 100% a you problem.[/quote] Also wanted to add this that even still I would like the ability to see the posts of someone I've blocked because I very, very rarely block for some "forum" reason. I block because they're selling starved dragons or something and that's just annoying and I don't want to have to scroll past their dragons all the time to get to the next eligible one. I feel like having to unblock to see what they post is something that should be addressed. I'm sure there are other reasons people have blocked that have nothing to do with their forum behavior, so... I think there should be an option somewhere for that. [/quote] Same, honestly. Most people I block are AH Nuisances, not people who offend me personally, so being able to switch without unblocking or incognito browser-ing would be a nice addition.
Almedha wrote on 2020-11-26 18:51:53:
Quote:
If you have to unblock somebody to read what they've put on your public suggestion/game/whatever thread, purely because you just can't stand not knowing, that's 100% a you problem.
Also wanted to add this that even still I would like the ability to see the posts of someone I've blocked because I very, very rarely block for some "forum" reason. I block because they're selling starved dragons or something and that's just annoying and I don't want to have to scroll past their dragons all the time to get to the next eligible one. I feel like having to unblock to see what they post is something that should be addressed.

I'm sure there are other reasons people have blocked that have nothing to do with their forum behavior, so... I think there should be an option somewhere for that.

Same, honestly. Most people I block are AH Nuisances, not people who offend me personally, so being able to switch without unblocking or incognito browser-ing would be a nice addition.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Massive no from me.

The people I block don't tend to do the more annoying things (image spam, starving dragons and whatnot) but even still I don't want people knowing I've blocked them. They can find that out if they choose to interact with me directly. The forums are a privilege, but it is not your right to take that privilege away.

Quite frankly, the block feature works just fine imo. I don't have to see or interact with the person, and they cannot personally interact with me. It shouldn't outright remove them from being able to see a public area of the site. My personal issue with a player should not in any way remove some of their rights to the site. I am not an admin, dev, or moderator. That's not my job, not my role, not my right. Imagine how abused the block feature would be if that were the case.

The block feature is to prevent someone from interacting with you, not prevent them from knowing about your existence in a public area.
Massive no from me.

The people I block don't tend to do the more annoying things (image spam, starving dragons and whatnot) but even still I don't want people knowing I've blocked them. They can find that out if they choose to interact with me directly. The forums are a privilege, but it is not your right to take that privilege away.

Quite frankly, the block feature works just fine imo. I don't have to see or interact with the person, and they cannot personally interact with me. It shouldn't outright remove them from being able to see a public area of the site. My personal issue with a player should not in any way remove some of their rights to the site. I am not an admin, dev, or moderator. That's not my job, not my role, not my right. Imagine how abused the block feature would be if that were the case.

The block feature is to prevent someone from interacting with you, not prevent them from knowing about your existence in a public area.
vDH0pGc.png
I would just argue the following as a compromise:

Blocker makes a post.

Blockee can go to the thread, and post on it, but the blocker's posts are all hidden to the blockee in the same way that a blockee's posts are to the blocker.

Also IDK if this is already a thing: But if someone has subbed to their own post, and a blockee comments on it, it should not alert the blocker.

If the blocker chooses, perhaps there should be no sign the post exists at all. And if someone tries to quote a person you have blocked, that section gets a show/hide button with it automatically hidden. If a person you've blocked name is in a post that is not within the quote code, it just has [blocked] in it's place, though granted that would only work with linked names.

IDK. As someone who has been ruthlessly stalked online for years, I support every possible means of denying that person access to you. If you are not looking for that person, you should not have to see them. Giving people power to protect themselves means less that staff need to do. You can be proactive in how you curate your online experience and not have to rely on tickets.

If reporting bugs is a concern, just have it work as it does now only there. Or only for specific boards.

Thats my 12 cents, though I don't care enough to actually debate anyone about it.

*evaporates into the void*
I would just argue the following as a compromise:

Blocker makes a post.

Blockee can go to the thread, and post on it, but the blocker's posts are all hidden to the blockee in the same way that a blockee's posts are to the blocker.

Also IDK if this is already a thing: But if someone has subbed to their own post, and a blockee comments on it, it should not alert the blocker.

If the blocker chooses, perhaps there should be no sign the post exists at all. And if someone tries to quote a person you have blocked, that section gets a show/hide button with it automatically hidden. If a person you've blocked name is in a post that is not within the quote code, it just has [blocked] in it's place, though granted that would only work with linked names.

IDK. As someone who has been ruthlessly stalked online for years, I support every possible means of denying that person access to you. If you are not looking for that person, you should not have to see them. Giving people power to protect themselves means less that staff need to do. You can be proactive in how you curate your online experience and not have to rely on tickets.

If reporting bugs is a concern, just have it work as it does now only there. Or only for specific boards.

Thats my 12 cents, though I don't care enough to actually debate anyone about it.

*evaporates into the void*
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
[quote name="Autopilot" date="2020-11-26 23:25:34" ] Also IDK if this is already a thing: But if someone has subbed to their own post, and a blockee comments on it, it should not alert the blocker. [/quote] You don't get alerts if someone you blocked posts on a thread you are subscribed to, similarly to how you won't get the pings.
Autopilot wrote on 2020-11-26 23:25:34:

You don't get alerts if someone you blocked posts on a thread you are subscribed to, similarly to how you won't get the pings.
JQQ3Fjt.png
okay, but what about TUBMG posts? gift giving posts? if anything, being able to interact while blocked makes it MORE unfair to the blocked person. people should know when they're blocked. if they can't handle knowing they've been blocked without throwing a pissy fit, they're not mature enough to be online.

just because the forums as a whole are public doesnt mean every single individual post should be accessible to you personally? this should be obvious, i dont even know why there is a discussion about this. it's not preventing anyone from using the forums, BECAUSE THEY CAN STILL USE THE FORUMS. they just will have like, some posts they can't reply to? it's not a big deal and would be more comfortable to the person blocking.
okay, but what about TUBMG posts? gift giving posts? if anything, being able to interact while blocked makes it MORE unfair to the blocked person. people should know when they're blocked. if they can't handle knowing they've been blocked without throwing a pissy fit, they're not mature enough to be online.

just because the forums as a whole are public doesnt mean every single individual post should be accessible to you personally? this should be obvious, i dont even know why there is a discussion about this. it's not preventing anyone from using the forums, BECAUSE THEY CAN STILL USE THE FORUMS. they just will have like, some posts they can't reply to? it's not a big deal and would be more comfortable to the person blocking.

tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.png
[quote name="Greyjoy" date="2020-11-26 19:02:16" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2020-11-26 18:51:53" ] [quote]If you have to unblock somebody to read what they've put on your public suggestion/game/whatever thread, purely because you just can't stand not knowing, that's 100% a you problem.[/quote] Also wanted to add this that even still I would like the ability to see the posts of someone I've blocked because I very, very rarely block for some "forum" reason. I block because they're selling starved dragons or something and that's just annoying and I don't want to have to scroll past their dragons all the time to get to the next eligible one. I feel like having to unblock to see what they post is something that should be addressed. I'm sure there are other reasons people have blocked that have nothing to do with their forum behavior, so... I think there should be an option somewhere for that. [/quote] Same, honestly. Most people I block are AH Nuisances, not people who offend me personally, so being able to switch without unblocking or incognito browser-ing would be a nice addition. [/quote] I still feel that blocking should be a tiered approach, or at least modular. Modular would probably be better, so that players can just 'block all', which is what blocking currently is, or they can go in and choose what they want to block. Don't want to see their dragons? AH block them (which would prevent them from seeing your dragons). Don't like what they post on the forums? Forum block them, which would prevent you from seeing their posts, but not them seeing yours. don't want them to view your lair? lair block them, which prevents them from seeing your lair, and interacting with your dragons. (this is one I am not sure should be modular, as I can't really think of any reason to only want to block someone from seeing your lair and not wanting to block AH or forums, and this would either have to block AH already or it would be somewhat weird that they could not see your lair, but could still buy your dragons). And so on. Allow people to set their level of comfort and how much they want to block someone. As has been said quite a lot, people block for a variety of reasons and sometimes don't want to block everything.
Greyjoy wrote on 2020-11-26 19:02:16:
Almedha wrote on 2020-11-26 18:51:53:
Quote:

Same, honestly. Most people I block are AH Nuisances, not people who offend me personally, so being able to switch without unblocking or incognito browser-ing would be a nice addition.
I still feel that blocking should be a tiered approach, or at least modular.

Modular would probably be better, so that players can just 'block all', which is what blocking currently is, or they can go in and choose what they want to block.

Don't want to see their dragons? AH block them (which would prevent them from seeing your dragons).

Don't like what they post on the forums? Forum block them, which would prevent you from seeing their posts, but not them seeing yours.

don't want them to view your lair? lair block them, which prevents them from seeing your lair, and interacting with your dragons. (this is one I am not sure should be modular, as I can't really think of any reason to only want to block someone from seeing your lair and not wanting to block AH or forums, and this would either have to block AH already or it would be somewhat weird that they could not see your lair, but could still buy your dragons).

And so on. Allow people to set their level of comfort and how much they want to block someone. As has been said quite a lot, people block for a variety of reasons and sometimes don't want to block everything.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="helsy" date="2020-11-27 05:38:26" ] okay, but what about TUBMG posts? gift giving posts? if anything, being able to interact while blocked makes it MORE unfair to the blocked person. people should know when they're blocked. if they can't handle knowing they've been blocked without throwing a pissy fit, they're not mature enough to be online. just because the forums as a whole are public doesnt mean every single individual post should be accessible to you personally? this should be obvious, i dont even know why there is a discussion about this. it's not preventing anyone from using the forums, BECAUSE THEY CAN STILL USE THE FORUMS. they just will have like, some posts they can't reply to? it's not a big deal and would be more comfortable to the person blocking. [/quote] This isn't about replying to some posts, this is replying to some entire threads. Using your example, this isn't just 'oh, I can't see this post on TUBMG, this would be 'I can't even PLAY TUBMG because the original poster of the thread, who isn't even playing anymore, has me blocked'. If you just post on the thread, this suggesiton would do nothing to prevent them from interacting with your post, unless you were the one to create the thread. Yeah, for forum games, it would be upsetting to be picked by someone who you blocked, but, quite frankly, I don't consider forum games important enough to impact regular forum use for them.
helsy wrote on 2020-11-27 05:38:26:

This isn't about replying to some posts, this is replying to some entire threads.

Using your example, this isn't just 'oh, I can't see this post on TUBMG, this would be 'I can't even PLAY TUBMG because the original poster of the thread, who isn't even playing anymore, has me blocked'. If you just post on the thread, this suggesiton would do nothing to prevent them from interacting with your post, unless you were the one to create the thread.

Yeah, for forum games, it would be upsetting to be picked by someone who you blocked, but, quite frankly, I don't consider forum games important enough to impact regular forum use for them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8