Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked users can't see your forum posts
1 2
Simple suggestion here.

I'd like it if the people I've blocked couldn't see my forum posts. Currently when you block someone it prevents you from seeing their posts, but your own posts are still vulnerable to them, which I don't like. I'd prefer if they were blocked by default.

I don't want to be quoted by someone I've blocked, that's for sure. And I don't like it when people block/unblock to see what I've written.

Thoughts/challenges? :d¸
Simple suggestion here.

I'd like it if the people I've blocked couldn't see my forum posts. Currently when you block someone it prevents you from seeing their posts, but your own posts are still vulnerable to them, which I don't like. I'd prefer if they were blocked by default.

I don't want to be quoted by someone I've blocked, that's for sure. And I don't like it when people block/unblock to see what I've written.

Thoughts/challenges? :d¸
No thanks. Players block for a variety of reasons, some not even related to harassment or abuse. I’ve seen people block others because they didn’t like the other players’ signature or font choices, avatar choice etc because they disturb the player blocking. That’s not including people who block others for selling multiple auctions of the same thing or starving fodder. These players should not be prevented from seeing guides or discussions that may interest them. The forums are open to all and you shouldn’t be able to effect someone ability to see the forums especially in forums such as suggestions (where posts could affect things that may be added), bug forums (where they try to keep things to one thread), guides and help (which contain value able information) and FR discussion (where admins often comment)

Blocking should protect you from seeing other players but not affect the blocked player. Only admins should be able to affect other players ability to see and use the site-not another player especially not in somewhere like the public forums and especially when sometimes admins occasionally drop comments into threads and if you started the thread any players you’ve blocked may not be able to get the full context

About the only place I can see blocked players from being prevented from seeing the blockee’s posts is the sale forums and even then I’m wary as a scammer could easily abuse this by blocking people who comment against them

Edit: There was a brief time that blocked players were unable to see the blockees posts, it was removed very quickly
No thanks. Players block for a variety of reasons, some not even related to harassment or abuse. I’ve seen people block others because they didn’t like the other players’ signature or font choices, avatar choice etc because they disturb the player blocking. That’s not including people who block others for selling multiple auctions of the same thing or starving fodder. These players should not be prevented from seeing guides or discussions that may interest them. The forums are open to all and you shouldn’t be able to effect someone ability to see the forums especially in forums such as suggestions (where posts could affect things that may be added), bug forums (where they try to keep things to one thread), guides and help (which contain value able information) and FR discussion (where admins often comment)

Blocking should protect you from seeing other players but not affect the blocked player. Only admins should be able to affect other players ability to see and use the site-not another player especially not in somewhere like the public forums and especially when sometimes admins occasionally drop comments into threads and if you started the thread any players you’ve blocked may not be able to get the full context

About the only place I can see blocked players from being prevented from seeing the blockee’s posts is the sale forums and even then I’m wary as a scammer could easily abuse this by blocking people who comment against them

Edit: There was a brief time that blocked players were unable to see the blockees posts, it was removed very quickly
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
No support because you would be functionally controlling how another player should interact with the site. (I am also confused how posts can be "vulnerable" in the first place but that's an aside question...)

For example, dominance requires a lot of forum interaction. Starting a rumor how user X is the EvilestTM and therefore causing a lot of players to block them would stop user X from interacting with their own flight's dominance due to inability to even see the posts/threads. Right now, X would be only blocked from direct interaction with other users and could still take part in dominance if they wished to.

Putting this as the default would also go against 7~ years of older blockings and their reasons; as previously blocks did not affect forum posts, players (who might not be playing anymore) blocked other players with that in mind. It could create situations such as someone randomly not being able to see a guide because the guide's creator blocked that user a year ago for selling starving fodder - a cause that is most likely irrelevant by now and most likely has nothing to do with the guide's creator's thoughts about their guide's visibility.
No support because you would be functionally controlling how another player should interact with the site. (I am also confused how posts can be "vulnerable" in the first place but that's an aside question...)

For example, dominance requires a lot of forum interaction. Starting a rumor how user X is the EvilestTM and therefore causing a lot of players to block them would stop user X from interacting with their own flight's dominance due to inability to even see the posts/threads. Right now, X would be only blocked from direct interaction with other users and could still take part in dominance if they wished to.

Putting this as the default would also go against 7~ years of older blockings and their reasons; as previously blocks did not affect forum posts, players (who might not be playing anymore) blocked other players with that in mind. It could create situations such as someone randomly not being able to see a guide because the guide's creator blocked that user a year ago for selling starving fodder - a cause that is most likely irrelevant by now and most likely has nothing to do with the guide's creator's thoughts about their guide's visibility.
JQQ3Fjt.png
No support. You can’t try to erase someone from existence, virtually or otherwise.
No support. You can’t try to erase someone from existence, virtually or otherwise.
sBdLZtA.png
No support. I feel like this could be very easily used to bully other users. An active, popular user could easily convince their friends to block one user, and make the site largely inaccessible to the person being blocked. If their behavior was ban worthy, then report it and let the mods deal with it. Otherwise, this could be used for players to 'semi-ban' players they don't like.

For the record, I'm not saying this is the OP's goal or that they want to bully others, I'm saying it could easily be abused.
No support. I feel like this could be very easily used to bully other users. An active, popular user could easily convince their friends to block one user, and make the site largely inaccessible to the person being blocked. If their behavior was ban worthy, then report it and let the mods deal with it. Otherwise, this could be used for players to 'semi-ban' players they don't like.

For the record, I'm not saying this is the OP's goal or that they want to bully others, I'm saying it could easily be abused.
No, no, nope. Absolutely not.

Those was the way blocking worked when they made the update to blocking a few years ago and it was, simply put, awful. I'll say now what I said then.

We, as users, should not have the ability to change how other users see the public areas of the site. Ever.

The administration has the ability and right to remove a player from important areas of the site if necessary, but an individual should not. It shouldn't be up to a player to remove visibility of a public area of the site from another player, no matter what the offence is, because blocking is not moderated. If we had to get approval to block, it would be a different story, but that would defeat the purpose.
No, no, nope. Absolutely not.

Those was the way blocking worked when they made the update to blocking a few years ago and it was, simply put, awful. I'll say now what I said then.

We, as users, should not have the ability to change how other users see the public areas of the site. Ever.

The administration has the ability and right to remove a player from important areas of the site if necessary, but an individual should not. It shouldn't be up to a player to remove visibility of a public area of the site from another player, no matter what the offence is, because blocking is not moderated. If we had to get approval to block, it would be a different story, but that would defeat the purpose.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
This is a tricky subject to me, because I do feel that players should be able to feel they are able to post on the forums without fear their words would be used against them in someway by a person they don't want to interact with.

However, I feel that this gives a bit too much power to a person, especially on the forums. I am perfectly fine with a person being able to prevent someone from buying their dragons, or viewing their lair/profiles, or contacting them through PMs or pings.

However, I feel that the forums on FR are too much intertwined with the rest of the site for that type of blocking to occur. Yes, it is possible to not post on the forums, but since the developers themselves use the forums for things like news annoucements, and there have been several times when clarifications have been made in various threads about various subjects, I feel that letting one person have that much control over other people's viewing experience is a bit much.

How would this handle threads created by you. Would that person simply not be able to comment on those threads? Would they not be able to view that thread at all, in which case, if an admin posted on it, that person could be barred valuable information. Also, in the case of guides, if someone created a guide that became very useful, but then decided to block a great man ypeople, those people are now being denied the ability to utilize that guide. In some cases, there may simply not BE any other guides for that particular aspect.

I do agree with the other suggestion thread like this, about a blocker being able to basically hide any and all posts by someone they blocked, but only if it were a tiered system where players could choose the level of blocking they wanted, so if they wanted to block only AH stuff, they could, if they wanted to remove that person's existence from their site life, they could, or anywhere in between.
This is a tricky subject to me, because I do feel that players should be able to feel they are able to post on the forums without fear their words would be used against them in someway by a person they don't want to interact with.

However, I feel that this gives a bit too much power to a person, especially on the forums. I am perfectly fine with a person being able to prevent someone from buying their dragons, or viewing their lair/profiles, or contacting them through PMs or pings.

However, I feel that the forums on FR are too much intertwined with the rest of the site for that type of blocking to occur. Yes, it is possible to not post on the forums, but since the developers themselves use the forums for things like news annoucements, and there have been several times when clarifications have been made in various threads about various subjects, I feel that letting one person have that much control over other people's viewing experience is a bit much.

How would this handle threads created by you. Would that person simply not be able to comment on those threads? Would they not be able to view that thread at all, in which case, if an admin posted on it, that person could be barred valuable information. Also, in the case of guides, if someone created a guide that became very useful, but then decided to block a great man ypeople, those people are now being denied the ability to utilize that guide. In some cases, there may simply not BE any other guides for that particular aspect.

I do agree with the other suggestion thread like this, about a blocker being able to basically hide any and all posts by someone they blocked, but only if it were a tiered system where players could choose the level of blocking they wanted, so if they wanted to block only AH stuff, they could, if they wanted to remove that person's existence from their site life, they could, or anywhere in between.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Absolutely no support, many of the reasons have been stated above especially things like dominance would suffer greatly.
Absolutely no support, many of the reasons have been stated above especially things like dominance would suffer greatly.
1L5TGl1.pngjn0pAcU.pngNVgCjtR.pngghAVYGe.pngx3J6SUS.png
No support

Reasons:
  • Pointless: Simply log out to see the posts, then copy the text, log in, paste the text as a quote, done.
  • Public place: The forum is a public place. You are not allowed to judge who may post within your threads or not. If you can't deal with that fact, use other private methods like Messages or create a personal invite-only Discord Server or Slack Workspace. Flight Rising will likely never provide such control to the mere user.
No support

Reasons:
  • Pointless: Simply log out to see the posts, then copy the text, log in, paste the text as a quote, done.
  • Public place: The forum is a public place. You are not allowed to judge who may post within your threads or not. If you can't deal with that fact, use other private methods like Messages or create a personal invite-only Discord Server or Slack Workspace. Flight Rising will likely never provide such control to the mere user.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
No.

Blocking a player is for YOUR peace of mind. It's for YOUR experience. If you don't want to see their posts, grand. You can avoid them.

However, you have no right to stop other players using the forums fully.

Sure, so they can't interact with you, that's fine. They also can't buy your dragons, which is also fine. However, altering their ability to use the forums properly? It's not up to you. You shouldn't have free rein to alter the experience of other people. It's unfair and, quite frankly, a massive overreach.

Also, you can view the forums logged out. They can still see what you post.
No.

Blocking a player is for YOUR peace of mind. It's for YOUR experience. If you don't want to see their posts, grand. You can avoid them.

However, you have no right to stop other players using the forums fully.

Sure, so they can't interact with you, that's fine. They also can't buy your dragons, which is also fine. However, altering their ability to use the forums properly? It's not up to you. You shouldn't have free rein to alter the experience of other people. It's unfair and, quite frankly, a massive overreach.

Also, you can view the forums logged out. They can still see what you post.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
1 2