Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Increase Galore's Time To Pick Up Items
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="Autopilot" date="2019-05-07 15:39:28" ] There should not be a time limit at all. Why not just let a player collect everything whenever they are ready to? It solves all the problems involved. And is less stressful. [/quote] Agreed with this, or the idea of having each gift be available until the next one is released. Galore is pretty but I really don't get the need for a new trading post dragon that wouldn't do anything except for a couple weeks a year. Galore holding items until you picked them up/new items came in would make a lot more sense than whatever arbitrary time limit is chosen and would justify why there was a specific trading post booth dedicated to this. (Although it still seems a bit excessive since we get like 3? gifts per year.)
Autopilot wrote on 2019-05-07 15:39:28:
There should not be a time limit at all. Why not just let a player collect everything whenever they are ready to? It solves all the problems involved. And is less stressful.
Agreed with this, or the idea of having each gift be available until the next one is released. Galore is pretty but I really don't get the need for a new trading post dragon that wouldn't do anything except for a couple weeks a year. Galore holding items until you picked them up/new items came in would make a lot more sense than whatever arbitrary time limit is chosen and would justify why there was a specific trading post booth dedicated to this. (Although it still seems a bit excessive since we get like 3? gifts per year.)
250.png
Galore could do random giveaways of scattervials (one per player) during the year--or even once a year. (Yes, still sore about the eye-pocalypse). That might make him seem more worthwhile than 2-3 random times during the year and then sitting, collecting dust.
Galore could do random giveaways of scattervials (one per player) during the year--or even once a year. (Yes, still sore about the eye-pocalypse). That might make him seem more worthwhile than 2-3 random times during the year and then sitting, collecting dust.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
What I want to see is a list like thing (think kinda like baldwin) with a claim button (kinda like pinkerton) where I have a list I can collect of available items(only 1 per user) that I can get from the start of my account/when galore starts. This way if someone joins in may they can't get a limited item from April, but If I joined in march and couldn't be on in April I could still receive my gift because I was apart of the "active" community. After I have claimed my gift the item claim disappears and I can only get one(1).
What I want to see is a list like thing (think kinda like baldwin) with a claim button (kinda like pinkerton) where I have a list I can collect of available items(only 1 per user) that I can get from the start of my account/when galore starts. This way if someone joins in may they can't get a limited item from April, but If I joined in march and couldn't be on in April I could still receive my gift because I was apart of the "active" community. After I have claimed my gift the item claim disappears and I can only get one(1).
8pUXRV3.pngEypKCgu.png5aTXnyW.pngE4TsE7N.png
tn0RSo5.pngMUYNhfy.png
Support, although longer would be better. I've been hospitalized for more than a week without any access to the internet and I'd be heartbroken if I missed out on something great.
Support, although longer would be better. I've been hospitalized for more than a week without any access to the internet and I'd be heartbroken if I missed out on something great.
Going to quote my posts from the update thread here. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2677383/74#post_38847179]Post #1[/url] [quote name="MysteryCorgi" date="2019-05-07 17:00:23" ] Galore is a really gorgeous guardian. I am interested in this dev update and I like that you are taking these things into consideration. I do have a concern about the 7-day limit, though. I have chronic illnesses that sometimes prevent me from using computers for periods anywhere from a few hours, days, months and beyond, even if I want desperately to be online that moment. I struggle to play any games that are 3D or have 2D art with parallax and because of this and FR has been one of the few games I can consistently play when I am able to. (If I could play more, I would! I just recognize my personal limitations. I've pushed myself before and it's come back to bite me, and it's not worth it when it makes it so I'm unable to play for longer periods.) I am sure that I am not alone in being wary of enforced time limits due to my own limitations, and I would be really keen on figuring out an alternate manner of handling this with feedback from the players who may be in situations similar to mine. Wishing the best to the dev team, as I'm sure this is a mental puzzle you've been working on a while. Also, on a more light-hearted note the title of "Mini-dev update" just made me think that there was an unfortunate incident with a shrink-ray or something and now all the dev team is very smol versions of their avatars, lol. Anyway, I'm keen to see how this progresses. [/quote] And [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2677383/75#post_38847956]Post #2[/url]: [quote name="MysteryCorgi" date="2019-05-07 18:05:05" ] Adding to my previous response: When looking back at the points from the first post, I feel like a few bits are somewhat contradictory. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I think the execution is flawed. According to the first post in this thread: When we release exclusive event items...they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the Trading Post. Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days) This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format. Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward! Yes, these are in a different order than the original post. But despite having read the original post, this is the order in which things stuck out to me as problematic. I can hypothesize as to why using Galore would help limit strain on the backend, however I am struggling to justify the potential exclusion of existing accounts/active players who miss the 7 day window. What if the items were available for a limited amount of time after players initially log in post-item release, regardless of date? This might solve the issue of a potentially exclusionary window for active users who may be unable to login due to health issues, or as mentioned above, natural disasters. So if an existing user is unable to log in for periods longer than months or a year, they wouldn't be penalized. I admit that I'm not sure if this is something that can be done while keeping the backend strain lowered, but this is what I thought was originally going to happen (while reading post#1) until I saw the 7 day hard-limit proposed. I'm looking at this from the perspective of a game developer in terms of an issue of accessibility. (Admittedly,my games are single-player and don't require registration, but accessibility is something to be considered for all games.) I understand time-limited events and all that. And I even can understand missing out on events due to not having registered (even though it can sting at times, I admit.) But originally these sorts of items were given to all registered users, regardless of their activity. And I guess that's why I am concerned. Because despite being eligible, the proposed 7 day limited is potentially penalizing to any/all accounts since it forces people to log in periodically, which frankly isn't always possible. It's hard to be a game dev or a fan of a game and feel penalized for things beyond our control. I've been on the receiving end of both perspectives and I sympathize, so I'm just hoping the above thoughts might help while the devs and community discuss this. [/quote] Glad to see I'm not alone in suggestions for alternative methods. Hopefully something will be figured out if the devs are open to it. :)
Going to quote my posts from the update thread here.

Post #1
MysteryCorgi wrote on 2019-05-07 17:00:23:
Galore is a really gorgeous guardian. I am interested in this dev update and I like that you are taking these things into consideration.
I do have a concern about the 7-day limit, though. I have chronic illnesses that sometimes prevent me from using computers for periods anywhere from a few hours, days, months and beyond, even if I want desperately to be online that moment.
I struggle to play any games that are 3D or have 2D art with parallax and because of this and FR has been one of the few games I can consistently play when I am able to. (If I could play more, I would! I just recognize my personal limitations. I've pushed myself before and it's come back to bite me, and it's not worth it when it makes it so I'm unable to play for longer periods.)
I am sure that I am not alone in being wary of enforced time limits due to my own limitations, and I would be really keen on figuring out an alternate manner of handling this with feedback from the players who may be in situations similar to mine.
Wishing the best to the dev team, as I'm sure this is a mental puzzle you've been working on a while. Also, on a more light-hearted note the title of "Mini-dev update" just made me think that there was an unfortunate incident with a shrink-ray or something and now all the dev team is very smol versions of their avatars, lol.
Anyway, I'm keen to see how this progresses.

And Post #2:
MysteryCorgi wrote on 2019-05-07 18:05:05:
Adding to my previous response:

When looking back at the points from the first post, I feel like a few bits are somewhat contradictory. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I think the execution is flawed.

According to the first post in this thread:

When we release exclusive event items...they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the Trading Post.
Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days)
This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format.
Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward!

Yes, these are in a different order than the original post. But despite having read the original post, this is the order in which things stuck out to me as problematic.

I can hypothesize as to why using Galore would help limit strain on the backend, however I am struggling to justify the potential exclusion of existing accounts/active players who miss the 7 day window. What if the items were available for a limited amount of time after players initially log in post-item release, regardless of date? This might solve the issue of a potentially exclusionary window for active users who may be unable to login due to health issues, or as mentioned above, natural disasters. So if an existing user is unable to log in for periods longer than months or a year, they wouldn't be penalized. I admit that I'm not sure if this is something that can be done while keeping the backend strain lowered, but this is what I thought was originally going to happen (while reading post#1) until I saw the 7 day hard-limit proposed.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a game developer in terms of an issue of accessibility. (Admittedly,my games are single-player and don't require registration, but accessibility is something to be considered for all games.) I understand time-limited events and all that. And I even can understand missing out on events due to not having registered (even though it can sting at times, I admit.) But originally these sorts of items were given to all registered users, regardless of their activity. And I guess that's why I am concerned. Because despite being eligible, the proposed 7 day limited is potentially penalizing to any/all accounts since it forces people to log in periodically, which frankly isn't always possible.

It's hard to be a game dev or a fan of a game and feel penalized for things beyond our control. I've been on the receiving end of both perspectives and I sympathize, so I'm just hoping the above thoughts might help while the devs and community discuss this.

Glad to see I'm not alone in suggestions for alternative methods. Hopefully something will be figured out if the devs are open to it. :)
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
I believe 16 days would be a good amount of time for picking up items. I support an elongated time pickup of any sort though when it comes to Galore's items.
I believe 16 days would be a good amount of time for picking up items. I support an elongated time pickup of any sort though when it comes to Galore's items.
knhLXgs.png
I would want an until the next gift comes out thing and I think that would be best. There might be gifts that the staff want to be a surprise so they wouldn't use a timer for Galore if the until the next gift thing gets added. But as long as there is plenty of time to get the current gift before a surprise gift comes up, nobody should be complaining.
I would want an until the next gift comes out thing and I think that would be best. There might be gifts that the staff want to be a surprise so they wouldn't use a timer for Galore if the until the next gift thing gets added. But as long as there is plenty of time to get the current gift before a surprise gift comes up, nobody should be complaining.
Click them! --> Christmas Dragons! | Wishlist!
My FR memes!! | Dragon Sales!!!

I don't mind pings or messages :) I would be glad to be an Arcane nest for free! Lvl 18 free brewing. Just send materials + treasure.
OfF9Gci.gif
The only problem with letting a gift sit only until the next one comes out instead of indefinitely is that the gifts aren't spaced out evenly, making it unfair.

Currently, there are only 2 regular instances where "freebies" are involved: April Fool's (April 1) and the Anniversary (June 5?). If you could only claim the most recent gift, you would only have ~2 months to get the Marva item, and ~10 months to get the anniversary one; I expect a disparity this large would make those who happen to miss those critical 2 months pretty upset, and rightly so. I also don't support throwing in more freebies to balance the time frame out- the rarity of the event is what makes it special. The easiest and fairest solution that would maintain the status quo of FR freebies would be to let the gifts sit indefinitely until claimed.

(On another note, I really don't think Galore would work properly for April Fool's anyways- the items always cycle on the 1st and are "locked in" and openable on the 2nd; will people who claim later- even within the current 7-day window- not be able to change their gift? Would the items inside only be revealed after the 7 day window? Or are mystery Marva items no longer going to be a thing?)
The only problem with letting a gift sit only until the next one comes out instead of indefinitely is that the gifts aren't spaced out evenly, making it unfair.

Currently, there are only 2 regular instances where "freebies" are involved: April Fool's (April 1) and the Anniversary (June 5?). If you could only claim the most recent gift, you would only have ~2 months to get the Marva item, and ~10 months to get the anniversary one; I expect a disparity this large would make those who happen to miss those critical 2 months pretty upset, and rightly so. I also don't support throwing in more freebies to balance the time frame out- the rarity of the event is what makes it special. The easiest and fairest solution that would maintain the status quo of FR freebies would be to let the gifts sit indefinitely until claimed.

(On another note, I really don't think Galore would work properly for April Fool's anyways- the items always cycle on the 1st and are "locked in" and openable on the 2nd; will people who claim later- even within the current 7-day window- not be able to change their gift? Would the items inside only be revealed after the 7 day window? Or are mystery Marva items no longer going to be a thing?)
I think 2 weeks is reasonable. Sometimes things happen and someone can't get online for a week.
I think 2 weeks is reasonable. Sometimes things happen and someone can't get online for a week.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Major support and I mentioned this in the initial update post! A week is a good amount of time and I'm glad FR is thinking of their staff, but it still seems a little short, especially for people in school who might be busy on weekends, those who take week long vacations, etc.
Major support and I mentioned this in the initial update post! A week is a good amount of time and I'm glad FR is thinking of their staff, but it still seems a little short, especially for people in school who might be busy on weekends, those who take week long vacations, etc.
Smoochs | she/they | Rollover at 3am
b797af3223a93c22cf5aa6dcdf2b139d.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9