Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Reward Delivery Changes
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 86 87
Echoing that the 7 day limit is a pretty bad move. Some cannot log in for a week or more due to health issues and limitations. I love how the game doesn't punish me because I go on breaks, but there are people who actively play the game but cannot at times and to punish them with a 7 day limit is highly unfair and unhealthy for them.
Echoing that the 7 day limit is a pretty bad move. Some cannot log in for a week or more due to health issues and limitations. I love how the game doesn't punish me because I go on breaks, but there are people who actively play the game but cannot at times and to punish them with a 7 day limit is highly unfair and unhealthy for them.
eLAndXa.png4WrVM.png z3tnOVC.png
I hope this doesn’t put to much strain on the site, but it’s a great idea.

And I think one of my dragons might like Galore’s looks...
I hope this doesn’t put to much strain on the site, but it’s a great idea.

And I think one of my dragons might like Galore’s looks...
mDIoUeW.png
Pyercé | they/them
mini gap links TBA
[center]Oooh, Galore is a handsome boi handing out wonderful event items~ At least it makes it easier on y'all and us.[emoji=tundra laughing size=1][/center]
Oooh, Galore is a handsome boi handing out wonderful event items~ At least it makes it easier on y'all and us.
|
|
|
My Time is FR +0
19yo with issues
I LOVE Imps/Banes/WCs~
kVIzwBY.png
Adding to my previous response:

When looking back at the points from the first post, I feel like a few bits are somewhat contradictory. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I think the execution is flawed.

According to the first post in this thread:
  • When we release exclusive event items...they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the Trading Post.
  • Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days)
  • This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format.
  • Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward!

Yes, these are in a different order than the original post. But despite having read the original post, this is the order in which things stuck out to me as problematic.

I can hypothesize as to why using Galore would help limit strain on the backend, however I am struggling to justify the potential exclusion of existing accounts/active players who miss the 7 day window. What if the items were available for a limited amount of time after players initially log in post-item release, regardless of date? This might solve the issue of a potentially exclusionary window for active users who may be unable to login due to health issues, or as mentioned above, natural disasters. So if an existing user is unable to log in for periods longer than months or a year, they wouldn't be penalized. I admit that I'm not sure if this is something that can be done while keeping the backend strain lowered, but this is what I thought was originally going to happen (while reading post#1) until I saw the 7 day hard-limit proposed.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a game developer in terms of an issue of accessibility. (Admittedly,my games are single-player and don't require registration, but accessibility is something to be considered for all games.) I understand time-limited events and all that. And I even can understand missing out on events due to not having registered (even though it can sting at times, I admit.) But originally these sorts of items were given to all registered users, regardless of their activity. And I guess that's why I am concerned. Because despite being eligible, the proposed 7 day limited is potentially penalizing to any/all accounts since it forces people to log in periodically, which frankly isn't always possible.

It's hard to be a game dev or a fan of a game and feel penalized for things beyond our control. I've been on the receiving end of both perspectives and I sympathize, so I'm just hoping the above thoughts might help while the devs and community discuss this.
Adding to my previous response:

When looking back at the points from the first post, I feel like a few bits are somewhat contradictory. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I think the execution is flawed.

According to the first post in this thread:
  • When we release exclusive event items...they will be available to collect at Galore's new plot in the Trading Post.
  • Galore will keep these items available for one whole week (7 days)
  • This doesn't mean that inactive accounts are suddenly going to be made ineligible for exclusive gifts; we are simply modifying the delivery format.
  • Even if your account has been inactive for a few years, you can still login and grab a reward!

Yes, these are in a different order than the original post. But despite having read the original post, this is the order in which things stuck out to me as problematic.

I can hypothesize as to why using Galore would help limit strain on the backend, however I am struggling to justify the potential exclusion of existing accounts/active players who miss the 7 day window. What if the items were available for a limited amount of time after players initially log in post-item release, regardless of date? This might solve the issue of a potentially exclusionary window for active users who may be unable to login due to health issues, or as mentioned above, natural disasters. So if an existing user is unable to log in for periods longer than months or a year, they wouldn't be penalized. I admit that I'm not sure if this is something that can be done while keeping the backend strain lowered, but this is what I thought was originally going to happen (while reading post#1) until I saw the 7 day hard-limit proposed.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a game developer in terms of an issue of accessibility. (Admittedly,my games are single-player and don't require registration, but accessibility is something to be considered for all games.) I understand time-limited events and all that. And I even can understand missing out on events due to not having registered (even though it can sting at times, I admit.) But originally these sorts of items were given to all registered users, regardless of their activity. And I guess that's why I am concerned. Because despite being eligible, the proposed 7 day limited is potentially penalizing to any/all accounts since it forces people to log in periodically, which frankly isn't always possible.

It's hard to be a game dev or a fan of a game and feel penalized for things beyond our control. I've been on the receiving end of both perspectives and I sympathize, so I'm just hoping the above thoughts might help while the devs and community discuss this.
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
Galore looks lovely!

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with extending the time line for items.

I would definitely be behind the first item Galore gifts out to have an indefinite timer, as a permanent "Welcome Back" to anyone who returns at any time (as Galore will not always have something ready for players to take, lessening the need to visit her/him unless it's event time. This makes Galore the only dragon on the Trading Post page that doesn't have a reason to be visited regularly. Might as well make a new tab to the left similar to Festive Favors)
Perhaps there are some lore reasons for Galore always having this item in stock? (maybe it's something she/he makes, or is good friends with one of the Swap Stand NPCs and can get an indefinite supply of the item.)

As for the items following, I agree with extending their timers as well. There is no timer that can please everyone, since the players on this site all have unique stories. While there are many players who have IRL issues that may stop them from getting on for a week, a month, or more, I believe the majority of players should have a month at most, with the continuing possibility to craft copies of the item at Baldwin.
While it's true that Festivals traditionally have a week for redemption, they are also traditionally once a month, with NotN filling the last month. They're in the same reoccurring pattern. Festivals are more or less a "monthly occurrence".
Anniversaries, April Fool's Day, etc. are a "yearly occurrence", and most players don't actually keep track of when FR's birthday is. It's not as easy to remember as Festivals, which are always just around the block. It makes sense to me for a "monthly occurrence" to have a week-long redemption time and for a "yearly occurrence" to have a month-long redemption time.
Galore looks lovely!

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with extending the time line for items.

I would definitely be behind the first item Galore gifts out to have an indefinite timer, as a permanent "Welcome Back" to anyone who returns at any time (as Galore will not always have something ready for players to take, lessening the need to visit her/him unless it's event time. This makes Galore the only dragon on the Trading Post page that doesn't have a reason to be visited regularly. Might as well make a new tab to the left similar to Festive Favors)
Perhaps there are some lore reasons for Galore always having this item in stock? (maybe it's something she/he makes, or is good friends with one of the Swap Stand NPCs and can get an indefinite supply of the item.)

As for the items following, I agree with extending their timers as well. There is no timer that can please everyone, since the players on this site all have unique stories. While there are many players who have IRL issues that may stop them from getting on for a week, a month, or more, I believe the majority of players should have a month at most, with the continuing possibility to craft copies of the item at Baldwin.
While it's true that Festivals traditionally have a week for redemption, they are also traditionally once a month, with NotN filling the last month. They're in the same reoccurring pattern. Festivals are more or less a "monthly occurrence".
Anniversaries, April Fool's Day, etc. are a "yearly occurrence", and most players don't actually keep track of when FR's birthday is. It's not as easy to remember as Festivals, which are always just around the block. It makes sense to me for a "monthly occurrence" to have a week-long redemption time and for a "yearly occurrence" to have a month-long redemption time.
...yeah, we really need a Plentiful Breeds recolor on a bunch of genes. Iri/Shim, for example. The Galore art is really driving that home.
...yeah, we really need a Plentiful Breeds recolor on a bunch of genes. Iri/Shim, for example. The Galore art is really driving that home.
I think we have to keep in perspective that we're only talking about a few times in a year when Galore would be active, and those times are fixed (like April Fools or the anniversary). It's not like he's going to be setting up shop every month or at random times, so people are going to be missing a bunch of items because they didn't log in while Galore was active and had no idea it was coming.

It's just like festival items being available for seven days, during the festival. People don't seem to have a problem with that. If someone can't log in during a fest, the items will likely be in AH if people really want them. It'll be no different with this, and I think it'll help the items retain some value instead of pages of them being listed for 10 gems.
I think we have to keep in perspective that we're only talking about a few times in a year when Galore would be active, and those times are fixed (like April Fools or the anniversary). It's not like he's going to be setting up shop every month or at random times, so people are going to be missing a bunch of items because they didn't log in while Galore was active and had no idea it was coming.

It's just like festival items being available for seven days, during the festival. People don't seem to have a problem with that. If someone can't log in during a fest, the items will likely be in AH if people really want them. It'll be no different with this, and I think it'll help the items retain some value instead of pages of them being listed for 10 gems.
lGriifT.png
I understand the idea, but I think a week is a bit short. I'm usually check at least once a day very quickly for updates and to do my dailies, but sometimes my internet goes down for over a week, which is what happened during last year's anniversary. I was already pretty upset about missing the ability to make the eye vials, but at least I got the familiar. I would've been pretty annoyed if I missed getting that, too, due to having no means to get online. But, as others have said, that's what the AH is for, I guess. I'll just have to hope my internet doesn't get stupid, or I'll just have to get creative in getting online via other methods.

Honestly, why not just have Galore "remember" what items your account has been around for, and simply keep them available to pick up at one's leisure? Just a little "tag" in the system which indicates that you can have that one. This way, the item isn't being "stored" or distributed to cause strain, but would still be around for those whose account existed for the event and to be grabbed at a later time. I know you're trying to say this is a way to reward active players, but festivals already do this; the mechanic seems to have to work this way/was designed this way solely to reduce strain, and the added reason to "reward active players" was just slapped on after the fact to try to make it sound extra justified.

I only hope that Galore is heavily advertised during said times, as, especially since it's going to be a new feature, a lot of people are going to forget about it.

Anyway, as stated, I understand why, and don't think there should be too many issues with it, but do agree that maybe the time should be extended a teensy bit, if anything.
I understand the idea, but I think a week is a bit short. I'm usually check at least once a day very quickly for updates and to do my dailies, but sometimes my internet goes down for over a week, which is what happened during last year's anniversary. I was already pretty upset about missing the ability to make the eye vials, but at least I got the familiar. I would've been pretty annoyed if I missed getting that, too, due to having no means to get online. But, as others have said, that's what the AH is for, I guess. I'll just have to hope my internet doesn't get stupid, or I'll just have to get creative in getting online via other methods.

Honestly, why not just have Galore "remember" what items your account has been around for, and simply keep them available to pick up at one's leisure? Just a little "tag" in the system which indicates that you can have that one. This way, the item isn't being "stored" or distributed to cause strain, but would still be around for those whose account existed for the event and to be grabbed at a later time. I know you're trying to say this is a way to reward active players, but festivals already do this; the mechanic seems to have to work this way/was designed this way solely to reduce strain, and the added reason to "reward active players" was just slapped on after the fact to try to make it sound extra justified.

I only hope that Galore is heavily advertised during said times, as, especially since it's going to be a new feature, a lot of people are going to forget about it.

Anyway, as stated, I understand why, and don't think there should be too many issues with it, but do agree that maybe the time should be extended a teensy bit, if anything.
dXizOVT.gif
deviantART
♦ +3 FR Time ♦
♦ Born-Again Christian ♦
♥ ♥ Wishlist ♥ ♥
♦ ♦ For Sale ♦ ♦
Free Dragons
Free lv27 Cauldron
Animated Icons
Art Trades
NatakiroFR.gif      tumblr_inline_nt4mfidcqY1qkfp12_500.gif
     Ping, please!
I love Galore!! I think this kind of delivery system is really good
I love Galore!! I think this kind of delivery system is really good
tumblr_inline_nk71anzSWJ1qg2i5p.png
Ohhh!! I love Galore!!! Finally we have a guardian npc and holy moly I AM IN LOVE..... HE IS SO WONDERFUL.... I personally really like this new addition!!!! I think the 7 day window is an okay amount of time to collect, though I'm worried that players who are away for a week or more may miss the items? Perhaps the time to collect could be extended in that case?
Ohhh!! I love Galore!!! Finally we have a guardian npc and holy moly I AM IN LOVE..... HE IS SO WONDERFUL.... I personally really like this new addition!!!! I think the 7 day window is an okay amount of time to collect, though I'm worried that players who are away for a week or more may miss the items? Perhaps the time to collect could be extended in that case?
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 86 87