Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Various eye vials - 90% problem fixes
1 2 ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112
[quote name="tmplr" date="2019-04-26 11:29:51" ] Rare eyes are valuable because of their unpredictable appearing. Rare genes and breeds aren't that valuable because any person can obtain them any minute, you just have to spend some money on them. Hatchie with literally ANY gene, however "rare", ends up being exalt fodder, because what? Genes are obtainable by your will. When eyes will be obtainable anytime they will be worth zero and this will negate everything people did and paid to get them before. [/quote] As has been pointed out before, I just want to re-emphasize the point that [i]eyes are not an inheritable trait[/i] but are completely random. This means that adding specific eye vials to the game wouldn't actually hurt the current eye market that much (which, as others have said before, already has become over saturated with these "special" eye types). Genes are inheritable, meaning that after the introduction of a new gene, it quickly becomes multiplied on the site and becomes less valuable. That wouldn't happen with specific eye vials because you can't take two dragons of, say, primal and breed them together to always get primal-eyed babies. [quote name="tmplr" date="2019-04-26 11:29:51" ] Other people spend tons of money scattering eyes. I understand how you want to just go and get your eyes without spending money on multiple random failures, yeah, I want it too, but are you ready to compensate what these people have spent? I am not. [/quote] As for compensation... I spent [i]over 18kg[/i] on scattersights to get primal eyes on my progen. Was it worth it to me? Yes. Would I be upset if a "vial of primal eyesight" suddenly was introduced into the game making it easier to get primal eyes on dragons? [i]Absolutely not![/i] I would be [i]thrilled[/i] at having a new, cheaper way of getting primal or other types of eyes on my old dragons that have sentimental value for me. Dropping 18kg on my progen's eyes may have been worth it to me, but there's no way in heck that I'm pay that much again for another dragon. But I also don't want to try and find clones of my old dragons with the eye types that I want because that would be meaningless to me. Those clones wouldn't be special to me because they might not have the traits that make my old dragons valuable to me--things like being a progen, the ID number, the hatch date, the fact that they were a pretty color combo from an unlikely pair... there are plenty of reasons that make it impossible to re-breed just for the eye type. If people are worried about the value or "specialness" of rare eye types, just ensure that these proposed specific vials are difficult to get. Or, heck, just reintroduce scattersights. That would be less ideal, but at least it would mean that there was a non-retired method for getting the eyes we want on the old dragons of sentimental value that we already have.
tmplr wrote on 2019-04-26 11:29:51:
Rare eyes are valuable because of their unpredictable appearing. Rare genes and breeds aren't that valuable because any person can obtain them any minute, you just have to spend some money on them. Hatchie with literally ANY gene, however "rare", ends up being exalt fodder, because what? Genes are obtainable by your will. When eyes will be obtainable anytime they will be worth zero and this will negate everything people did and paid to get them before.

As has been pointed out before, I just want to re-emphasize the point that eyes are not an inheritable trait but are completely random. This means that adding specific eye vials to the game wouldn't actually hurt the current eye market that much (which, as others have said before, already has become over saturated with these "special" eye types). Genes are inheritable, meaning that after the introduction of a new gene, it quickly becomes multiplied on the site and becomes less valuable. That wouldn't happen with specific eye vials because you can't take two dragons of, say, primal and breed them together to always get primal-eyed babies.

tmplr wrote on 2019-04-26 11:29:51:
Other people spend tons of money scattering eyes. I understand how you want to just go and get your eyes without spending money on multiple random failures, yeah, I want it too, but are you ready to compensate what these people have spent? I am not.

As for compensation... I spent over 18kg on scattersights to get primal eyes on my progen. Was it worth it to me? Yes.

Would I be upset if a "vial of primal eyesight" suddenly was introduced into the game making it easier to get primal eyes on dragons? Absolutely not!

I would be thrilled at having a new, cheaper way of getting primal or other types of eyes on my old dragons that have sentimental value for me. Dropping 18kg on my progen's eyes may have been worth it to me, but there's no way in heck that I'm pay that much again for another dragon. But I also don't want to try and find clones of my old dragons with the eye types that I want because that would be meaningless to me. Those clones wouldn't be special to me because they might not have the traits that make my old dragons valuable to me--things like being a progen, the ID number, the hatch date, the fact that they were a pretty color combo from an unlikely pair... there are plenty of reasons that make it impossible to re-breed just for the eye type.

If people are worried about the value or "specialness" of rare eye types, just ensure that these proposed specific vials are difficult to get. Or, heck, just reintroduce scattersights. That would be less ideal, but at least it would mean that there was a non-retired method for getting the eyes we want on the old dragons of sentimental value that we already have.
gvvmw41.png
Again, the whole idea of "compensation" is absurd. Someone wants to argue it's some type of fairness? It's not. It doesn't make things equal.

As things are now is the most unfair system because it's RNG based. Someone with a ton of luck could get primal or multi on the first vial. Someone with bad luck could never get primal or multi even after using 10,000 vials. People want to consider that the idea system? It's not. Does the lucky player and/or the staff owe the second player "compensation" since the first player only used a single vial and the second used 9,999 more? Absolutely not. But if we're going to argue compensation for individual vials, then we have to argue compensation under the current system as well.

I get some people want to put their precious rare eyed hatches on a pedestal. They're free to do that. However, the market does not reflect that in reality. And if a player like that feels his/her special dragons are made less special because I have a dragon in my lair I put Goat on...well, really? This player's specialness is decreased by what I can or can't do? That sounds like a mental thing this player needs to overcome rather than a poor mechanic that needs to be kept. IMHO, it's an unhealthy mentality to base your (general 'you') happiness on what someone else has or doesn't have.
Again, the whole idea of "compensation" is absurd. Someone wants to argue it's some type of fairness? It's not. It doesn't make things equal.

As things are now is the most unfair system because it's RNG based. Someone with a ton of luck could get primal or multi on the first vial. Someone with bad luck could never get primal or multi even after using 10,000 vials. People want to consider that the idea system? It's not. Does the lucky player and/or the staff owe the second player "compensation" since the first player only used a single vial and the second used 9,999 more? Absolutely not. But if we're going to argue compensation for individual vials, then we have to argue compensation under the current system as well.

I get some people want to put their precious rare eyed hatches on a pedestal. They're free to do that. However, the market does not reflect that in reality. And if a player like that feels his/her special dragons are made less special because I have a dragon in my lair I put Goat on...well, really? This player's specialness is decreased by what I can or can't do? That sounds like a mental thing this player needs to overcome rather than a poor mechanic that needs to be kept. IMHO, it's an unhealthy mentality to base your (general 'you') happiness on what someone else has or doesn't have.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2019-04-27 05:24:41" ] Again, the whole idea of "compensation" is absurd. Someone wants to argue it's some type of fairness? It's not. It doesn't make things equal. As things are now is the most unfair system because it's RNG based. Someone with a ton of luck could get primal or multi on the first vial. Someone with bad luck could never get primal or multi even after using 10,000 vials. People want to consider that the idea system? It's not. Does the lucky player and/or the staff owe the second player "compensation" since the first player only used a single vial and the second used 9,999 more? Absolutely not. But if we're going to argue compensation for individual vials, then we have to argue compensation under the current system as well. I get some people want to put their precious rare eyed hatches on a pedestal. They're free to do that. However, the market does not reflect that in reality. And if a player like that feels his/her special dragons are made less special because I have a dragon in my lair I put Goat on...well, really? This player's specialness is decreased by what I can or can't do? That sounds like a mental thing this player needs to overcome rather than a poor mechanic that needs to be kept. IMHO, it's an unhealthy mentality to base your (general 'you') happiness on what someone else has or doesn't have. [/quote] I'm of the mind that if I'm enjoying something, I'd like to share that with others. This is a community based game and, tbh, I think this kind of disparity only breeds contempt between players. It's really uncomfortable.
gemajgall wrote on 2019-04-27 05:24:41:

I'm of the mind that if I'm enjoying something, I'd like to share that with others. This is a community based game and, tbh, I think this kind of disparity only breeds contempt between players. It's really uncomfortable.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
[quote]I'm of the mind that if I'm enjoying something, I'd like to share that with others. This is a community based game and, tbh, I think this kind of disparity only breeds contempt between players. It's really uncomfortable. [/quote] [color=indigo] I agree with this mindset! Even though I'm an old player with a lot of old apparel and familiars from downtimes and festivals, I don't have anything against Roundsey's existing, it's nice that other players can have a shot at getting these items too. It doesn't harm me in any way that they are more available. I feel the same way about the eye vials.
Quote:
I'm of the mind that if I'm enjoying something, I'd like to share that with others. This is a community based game and, tbh, I think this kind of disparity only breeds contempt between players. It's really uncomfortable.

I agree with this mindset! Even though I'm an old player with a lot of old apparel and familiars from downtimes and festivals, I don't have anything against Roundsey's existing, it's nice that other players can have a shot at getting these items too. It doesn't harm me in any way that they are more available. I feel the same way about the eye vials.

jCVhFoZ.gif
[quote name="McAlli" date="2019-05-02 09:18:23" ] I'm of the mind that if I'm enjoying something, I'd like to share that with others. This is a community based game and, tbh, I think this kind of disparity only breeds contempt between players. It's really uncomfortable. [/quote] I'm coming at this from a different perspective, one that seems inherently contradictory to McAlli's but is actually very similar. I believe that games only suffer when they don't ask you to put in effort to achieve your goals. Being told to "just wait for your turn" is boring. "Just keep laying nests, it'll happen to you eventually." I accept that, and I accept that other people like doing that, but I want a clear path to my goals. I want to expend effort in order to get something that people who didn't put the effort in don't necessarily have. If I have something nice, I don't necessarily want to share it with the world. I want to tell the world how I got it, and how they can get it too. What I want to share with people isn't the thing itself, but the whole experience. If that experience is a thrill, it's worth sharing. Why would I want to share [i]waiting?[/i] (Because misery loves company? XD)
McAlli wrote on 2019-05-02 09:18:23:

I'm coming at this from a different perspective, one that seems inherently contradictory to McAlli's but is actually very similar.

I believe that games only suffer when they don't ask you to put in effort to achieve your goals. Being told to "just wait for your turn" is boring. "Just keep laying nests, it'll happen to you eventually." I accept that, and I accept that other people like doing that, but I want a clear path to my goals. I want to expend effort in order to get something that people who didn't put the effort in don't necessarily have.

If I have something nice, I don't necessarily want to share it with the world. I want to tell the world how I got it, and how they can get it too. What I want to share with people isn't the thing itself, but the whole experience. If that experience is a thrill, it's worth sharing. Why would I want to share waiting? (Because misery loves company? XD)
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
Poking back in here to say that I just got my very first rare eye type from a nest yesterday! It was exciting to see that little “special eyes” icon-- almost a full 11 months after eye types came out, I finally got one from a nest. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51468089] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/514681/51468089_350.png[/img] [/url] But you know what? I [i]still[/i] support eye vials. Having vials for the Natural eye types doesn’t make getting lucky and hatching one for free less exciting. It’s still really lucky and rare to come by! Hatching a rare-eyed baby doesn’t negate the wants and needs of people who would desperately love to be able to get rare eyes on their existing dragons and new breeding projects. People aren’t going to chuck out their progens’ beloved first baby to try to rebreed a new one-- you can’t replace sentimental value, and the odds for rare eyes are absolutely abysmal anyway. It’s barely even worth trying. (I’m 99% sure that the baby I got would end up as fodder, judging by Faceted prices on the AH, so again: “Rare” and “valuable” are not synonymous. Faceted isn’t the most popular, despite how “rare and special” it is, and she’s a Guardian with Treasure genes.) Having the Natural eye types be available through both hatching [b]and[/b] vials would appease the largest crowd, I think. They can absolutely coexist! People who like random surprises can have them, and people who like to work for their goals (or want to put cool new eyes on old favorites) can do so as well. There’s honestly no good, logical, sound reason to have them locked into randomized hatching exclusively. It’s not like they’re genes. You can’t breed two Goat dragons and hatch only Goat babies. You don’t even have a marginally higher [i]chance[/i] of Goat babies. The market won’t suddenly flood with Goat babies for sale if Goat vials became available because the vials don’t affect breeding RNG at all. And, as has been said, these are two different markets. The user who specifically wants to buy hatchlings with Goat is [b]way[/b] more likely to buy a cute Goat baby for 20kT from the AH rather than spend 500g (random price; say it’s a rare Gathering drop) on a vial to put on a dragon. The user who specifically wants Goat eyes for their 2-year-old, much-loved Earth rep isn’t going to be interested in buying those 20kT Goat babies on the AH because they want Goat on [i]their[/i] dragon, not a new dragon. There’s some overlap, of course-- plenty of users will both want new eyes for existing dragons [b]and[/b] want to buy new dragons with assorted eye types. But the important part is that we’d all have the choice. Right now, everyone is either mostly (Uncommon-Primal) or completely (Goat) locked out of getting Natural eyes that their dragons didn’t hatch with (bar Common), and we can’t even reliably get the eyes on new projects. :/ It’s 100% dismal RNG, which goes against the spirit FR had advertised for the 5 years prior to the update. And... Obligatory plug for Legacy vials again. These would be the absolute most harmless new (returning?) eye option and would help a lot of people. Locking users out of getting the new eyes AND permanently(?) removing the original eyes in the process is just a horrible combination. People spent tons of time, effort, Treasure, and even real-life money on Gems for their dragons to have specific eyes, including custom accents and Flight changes for breeding pairs (RIP anyone who moved to Ice for white eyes). Taking away the original eyes without warning or recourse hurt. :( I’m fine with Common being the default type, but can we please, please, please have Legacy eyes as well? My poor dragons would like their pupils and original eye colours (including white sclera for my PCs and Tundras) back. :c
Poking back in here to say that I just got my very first rare eye type from a nest yesterday! It was exciting to see that little “special eyes” icon-- almost a full 11 months after eye types came out, I finally got one from a nest.

51468089_350.png

But you know what? I still support eye vials.

Having vials for the Natural eye types doesn’t make getting lucky and hatching one for free less exciting. It’s still really lucky and rare to come by! Hatching a rare-eyed baby doesn’t negate the wants and needs of people who would desperately love to be able to get rare eyes on their existing dragons and new breeding projects. People aren’t going to chuck out their progens’ beloved first baby to try to rebreed a new one-- you can’t replace sentimental value, and the odds for rare eyes are absolutely abysmal anyway. It’s barely even worth trying.

(I’m 99% sure that the baby I got would end up as fodder, judging by Faceted prices on the AH, so again: “Rare” and “valuable” are not synonymous. Faceted isn’t the most popular, despite how “rare and special” it is, and she’s a Guardian with Treasure genes.)

Having the Natural eye types be available through both hatching and vials would appease the largest crowd, I think. They can absolutely coexist! People who like random surprises can have them, and people who like to work for their goals (or want to put cool new eyes on old favorites) can do so as well. There’s honestly no good, logical, sound reason to have them locked into randomized hatching exclusively.

It’s not like they’re genes. You can’t breed two Goat dragons and hatch only Goat babies. You don’t even have a marginally higher chance of Goat babies. The market won’t suddenly flood with Goat babies for sale if Goat vials became available because the vials don’t affect breeding RNG at all.

And, as has been said, these are two different markets. The user who specifically wants to buy hatchlings with Goat is way more likely to buy a cute Goat baby for 20kT from the AH rather than spend 500g (random price; say it’s a rare Gathering drop) on a vial to put on a dragon. The user who specifically wants Goat eyes for their 2-year-old, much-loved Earth rep isn’t going to be interested in buying those 20kT Goat babies on the AH because they want Goat on their dragon, not a new dragon.

There’s some overlap, of course-- plenty of users will both want new eyes for existing dragons and want to buy new dragons with assorted eye types. But the important part is that we’d all have the choice. Right now, everyone is either mostly (Uncommon-Primal) or completely (Goat) locked out of getting Natural eyes that their dragons didn’t hatch with (bar Common), and we can’t even reliably get the eyes on new projects. :/ It’s 100% dismal RNG, which goes against the spirit FR had advertised for the 5 years prior to the update.

And... Obligatory plug for Legacy vials again. These would be the absolute most harmless new (returning?) eye option and would help a lot of people. Locking users out of getting the new eyes AND permanently(?) removing the original eyes in the process is just a horrible combination. People spent tons of time, effort, Treasure, and even real-life money on Gems for their dragons to have specific eyes, including custom accents and Flight changes for breeding pairs (RIP anyone who moved to Ice for white eyes). Taking away the original eyes without warning or recourse hurt. :(

I’m fine with Common being the default type, but can we please, please, please have Legacy eyes as well? My poor dragons would like their pupils and original eye colours (including white sclera for my PCs and Tundras) back. :c
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I agree! I definitely enjoy the surprise of hatching a special eye dragon. RNG can be fun when you get something rare and exciting! However, it is frustrating when a game feature is locked entirely behind it.

Coli or chest drop RNG is not frustrating, because if I don't want to wait, I can always buy the rare drops in the AH. Dragon colour RNG is not frustrating because it is possible to work towards a narrower range and eventually get pretty good odds of hatching what you want.

Eye RNG is frustrating because it locks an important customization feature behind really crappy odds. You can't buy or work your way around them unless you get supremely lucky with scattervials or if someone magically hatches the same dragon you want and you buy it off of them, which is a pretty boring way to play! I much prefer being able to actively play and save up money or items to buy or craft something than sit around waiting for it to happen.
I agree! I definitely enjoy the surprise of hatching a special eye dragon. RNG can be fun when you get something rare and exciting! However, it is frustrating when a game feature is locked entirely behind it.

Coli or chest drop RNG is not frustrating, because if I don't want to wait, I can always buy the rare drops in the AH. Dragon colour RNG is not frustrating because it is possible to work towards a narrower range and eventually get pretty good odds of hatching what you want.

Eye RNG is frustrating because it locks an important customization feature behind really crappy odds. You can't buy or work your way around them unless you get supremely lucky with scattervials or if someone magically hatches the same dragon you want and you buy it off of them, which is a pretty boring way to play! I much prefer being able to actively play and save up money or items to buy or craft something than sit around waiting for it to happen.
jCVhFoZ.gif
That's a good point. Eyes how they are don't reward active playing--they reward passive playing: 1) breed and hatch your own nests, which at most takes five minutes a day or 2) wait until someone else hatches the desired dragon and buy it, which at most takes five minutes a day to search the AH.

I'm surprised FR likes eyes to be RNG based and otherwise unobtainable. It's like they don't want players on their site, using the game play mechanics to earn their goals.

And to repeat yet again, the thing is, they can both exist. FR can easily make it so players can hatch RNG eyes AND players can earn eyes for their existing dragons.
That's a good point. Eyes how they are don't reward active playing--they reward passive playing: 1) breed and hatch your own nests, which at most takes five minutes a day or 2) wait until someone else hatches the desired dragon and buy it, which at most takes five minutes a day to search the AH.

I'm surprised FR likes eyes to be RNG based and otherwise unobtainable. It's like they don't want players on their site, using the game play mechanics to earn their goals.

And to repeat yet again, the thing is, they can both exist. FR can easily make it so players can hatch RNG eyes AND players can earn eyes for their existing dragons.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
give us eye vials plz
give us eye vials plz
DVcXRyP.png
The anniversary is approaching and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Staff actually listened and is ready to at least bring back the Scattervials, if anything. If even that doesn't happen, I will be severely disappointed. With that all of our hope for eyes is gone. I'm still so incredibly salty about Goat, I would love to have those eyes on some of my dragons but no G1 with Goat that I've seen so far has been attractive to me regarding colours and I don't feel like scattering even more dragons. Seriously, with this attitude and mechanic, special eyes surely won't see me since I won't be breeding dragons because I am a G1 lair.
The anniversary is approaching and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Staff actually listened and is ready to at least bring back the Scattervials, if anything. If even that doesn't happen, I will be severely disappointed. With that all of our hope for eyes is gone. I'm still so incredibly salty about Goat, I would love to have those eyes on some of my dragons but no G1 with Goat that I've seen so far has been attractive to me regarding colours and I don't feel like scattering even more dragons. Seriously, with this attitude and mechanic, special eyes surely won't see me since I won't be breeding dragons because I am a G1 lair.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
1 2 ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112