Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Alert Sounds
1 2
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2017-07-09 03:42:47] It hardly makes any sense. Alerts only get loaded when you load a site. So basically the moment you'd hear the sound you allready see the orange popup marker. [/quote] Pretty much this. The site does not auto-refresh (heck, even the clock in the top left doesn't change until you refresh the page) and all pages except for the fairgrounds aren't designed to make noise, so this would be completely useless. In order to make this viable, they would have to completely rewrite how the pages work and make them able to play sound (I can only imagine how terrible the sound ads would get at that point), and somehow work in a toggle switch (which means it would toggle back to the old non-refreshing pages)- this would take an extremely long time. On top of that, I can easily see this lagging the server since there will be a lot more things running at once- multiply that by however many people use it, and boom. Lag. I would rather have the staff spend their time on other new things (like apparel, breeds, and genes) than on something that would slow down the creation of other features.
Ismaiel wrote on 2017-07-09:
It hardly makes any sense. Alerts only get loaded when you load a site. So basically the moment you'd hear the sound you allready see the orange popup marker.
Pretty much this. The site does not auto-refresh (heck, even the clock in the top left doesn't change until you refresh the page) and all pages except for the fairgrounds aren't designed to make noise, so this would be completely useless.
In order to make this viable, they would have to completely rewrite how the pages work and make them able to play sound (I can only imagine how terrible the sound ads would get at that point), and somehow work in a toggle switch (which means it would toggle back to the old non-refreshing pages)- this would take an extremely long time.
On top of that, I can easily see this lagging the server since there will be a lot more things running at once- multiply that by however many people use it, and boom. Lag.
I would rather have the staff spend their time on other new things (like apparel, breeds, and genes) than on something that would slow down the creation of other features.
giphy.gif7t6ErvU.jpegmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
I'm not sure if I see exactly how it would be useful. This is a forum-based site, with no Instant Messaging feature, so I don't see the need for an alert sound.

The only time sensitive action I can think of is perhaps CRs, but honestly, I think most people understand that not everyone is going to be online every waking moment of the day and sometimes you just need to be patient with others. If people are on, they're on, and if they're not, they're not. You'll get a notif when they respond to you, regardless.

For all other alerts, the bright orange notif we get at the top right is good enough.

I already have enough binging at me between Skype, Discord, and Facebook. If FR added this feature, personally I would just turn it off. And considering, as mentioned, that nofits load in with every page-refresh, the admins would have to completely redo how that system works in order to make a sound useful....which, atm, I feel would just be a waste of resources.
I'm not sure if I see exactly how it would be useful. This is a forum-based site, with no Instant Messaging feature, so I don't see the need for an alert sound.

The only time sensitive action I can think of is perhaps CRs, but honestly, I think most people understand that not everyone is going to be online every waking moment of the day and sometimes you just need to be patient with others. If people are on, they're on, and if they're not, they're not. You'll get a notif when they respond to you, regardless.

For all other alerts, the bright orange notif we get at the top right is good enough.

I already have enough binging at me between Skype, Discord, and Facebook. If FR added this feature, personally I would just turn it off. And considering, as mentioned, that nofits load in with every page-refresh, the admins would have to completely redo how that system works in order to make a sound useful....which, atm, I feel would just be a waste of resources.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Only if it is only for pings and AH notifications, not subscribed posts.
Only if it is only for pings and AH notifications, not subscribed posts.
qbzfjbr_by_pocketsizedoreo-dbfnvu3.png
1 2