Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ping button
1 2
I'm suggesting a ping button similar to the quote button to make pinging less error prone and easier on mobile devices . This has already been suggested back in 2014. It didn't get much support then, however a lot of new users have signed up since then and usernames now tend to be longer and/or more complicated (numbers, alternative spelling, compound words) and thus easier to misspell. I imagine it as being fairly easy to implement and think it could come in quite handy.
I'm suggesting a ping button similar to the quote button to make pinging less error prone and easier on mobile devices . This has already been suggested back in 2014. It didn't get much support then, however a lot of new users have signed up since then and usernames now tend to be longer and/or more complicated (numbers, alternative spelling, compound words) and thus easier to misspell. I imagine it as being fairly easy to implement and think it could come in quite handy.
Y8eNONv.png vetica_by_coloradoblues-dbd9yhg.gif dNCLmdm.png
Yes please. Less misspings, less trouble with copying a username.

Maybe have a toggle for people that don't want to be pinged. So if someone turns their pingbutton of its like double clear they don't want pings.

Or something like a 'Ping user' and a 'No pings allowed' - one being a quicklink like the quote (but preferably accumulating so you can ping multiple at once too) and the other gives you a message like 'This user prefers to not get pings'.

Maybe have a toggle for people that don't want to be pinged. So if someone turns their pingbutton of its like double clear they don't want pings.

Or something like a 'Ping user' and a 'No pings allowed' - one being a quicklink like the quote (but preferably accumulating so you can ping multiple at once too) and the other gives you a message like 'This user prefers to not get pings'.
I don't see why not- just the other day I had to ping a user with a very complex name and I had to recheck it three times to make sure it was 100% correct. A button like this would be a huge help.
I don't see why not- just the other day I had to ping a user with a very complex name and I had to recheck it three times to make sure it was 100% correct. A button like this would be a huge help.
giphy.gif7t6ErvU.jpegmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

G1 sales

p74ovv7.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
I'd love this. It's not a big deal if you're on a computer, copy&paste is fine. But trying to copy&paste a username on mobile - or at least all the mobile devices I've ever had - is a nightmare.
I'd love this. It's not a big deal if you're on a computer, copy&paste is fine. But trying to copy&paste a username on mobile - or at least all the mobile devices I've ever had - is a nightmare.
What if it were another button like the link on the upper right corner of our posts, that when we click it it would type

@ username

into the forum box, or at least into our clipboards so we can paste it
What if it were another button like the link on the upper right corner of our posts, that when we click it it would type

@ username

into the forum box, or at least into our clipboards so we can paste it
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
this would make things so much easier, especially with names being harder to read sometimes depending on the vista
this would make things so much easier, especially with names being harder to read sometimes depending on the vista
1L5TGl1.pngjn0pAcU.pngNVgCjtR.pngghAVYGe.pngx3J6SUS.png
supportttttttttt -- This would be a huge usability improvement.
supportttttttttt -- This would be a huge usability improvement.
Actually, I was pretty surprised that we can't get a generated ping by clicking the name in the forum thread, which is pretty common on many forums. However, here both the avatar and the name are the links to the same profile page.

Support, pings are a pain when I'm on mobile as it's much harder to copy+paste. Also, my name keeps getting misspelled despite being pretty easy so I miss pings from time to time. I can well imagine how often that happens to people with more tricky names :D
Actually, I was pretty surprised that we can't get a generated ping by clicking the name in the forum thread, which is pretty common on many forums. However, here both the avatar and the name are the links to the same profile page.

Support, pings are a pain when I'm on mobile as it's much harder to copy+paste. Also, my name keeps getting misspelled despite being pretty easy so I miss pings from time to time. I can well imagine how often that happens to people with more tricky names :D
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2017-03-15 12:14:00] Yes please. Less misspings, less trouble with copying a username. Maybe have a toggle for people that don't want to be pinged. So if someone turns their pingbutton of its like double clear they don't want pings. [/quote] [color=#31456b] I'd love this-- I guess a "Reply" option maybe next to "Quote" would put a ping before the message. You could opt in to having a reply button in your settings or maybe have some sort of "hide reply button on this post" option?
Ismaiel wrote on 2017-03-15:

I'd love this-- I guess a "Reply" option maybe next to "Quote" would put a ping before the message.

You could opt in to having a reply button in your settings or maybe have some sort of "hide reply button on this post" option?
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2017-03-15 12:14:00] Yes please. Less misspings, less trouble with copying a username. Maybe have a toggle for people that don't want to be pinged. So if someone turns their pingbutton of its like double clear they don't want pings. Or something like a 'Ping user' and a 'No pings allowed' - one being a quicklink like the quote (but preferably accumulating so you can ping multiple at once too) and the other gives you a message like 'This user prefers to not get pings'. [/quote] Only if it has a toggle.
Ismaiel wrote on 2017-03-15:

Only if it has a toggle.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
1 2