Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Cuckoo Breed and Mutations Discussion
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
This is cool.

I'm just going to say support, as anything I could have said has already been said. :3
This is cool.

I'm just going to say support, as anything I could have said has already been said. :3
Aspen/Hoku || 27 || +3 FRT || they/he
HdmxfuE.pngACOZFAh.png9hqcHsy.pngmtHAEL4.pngFvSLVNv.png6Dq3jOp.pngWn6vGC1.pngQYpIXaH.png6Cw2S3h.pngtqGkHih.pngbYt72YT.png6YousWl.pngyvMj9jM.pngyZFrBUC.pngQQYyU47.pngjbMLSIO.pngYJYmFy0.pngu7OYglJ.png
I really like the idea of having scrolls drop in the Coli on specific days (plus, everything about calling it "Cuckoo day" makes me giggle) and like the idea posted about finding an extra egg in the nest.

As far as coloration- it could also be linked to what flight the eggs are from, to "lend camouflage" to the hatchlings/parents? So, like, in my Light nest I would get white or yellow range dragons with the occasional sunburnt green, while a Fire person would get oranges and blacks with the occasional brown, Water would have mostly greens and blues, etc. Not sure how hard this would be to code though.
I really like the idea of having scrolls drop in the Coli on specific days (plus, everything about calling it "Cuckoo day" makes me giggle) and like the idea posted about finding an extra egg in the nest.

As far as coloration- it could also be linked to what flight the eggs are from, to "lend camouflage" to the hatchlings/parents? So, like, in my Light nest I would get white or yellow range dragons with the occasional sunburnt green, while a Fire person would get oranges and blacks with the occasional brown, Water would have mostly greens and blues, etc. Not sure how hard this would be to code though.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

With the suggestion for a breed only breed being brought back to give more randomness to breeding, I figured its worth bringing this up again for more discussion as overall I prefer the approach here, with a brood parasite rather than a mutant breed or hybrid breed.

Princesomniac's suggestion of the brood parasite egg being in a separate pop up is a nice take on it. I do prefer if the brood stayed in the nest and hatched as a random gen one of the brood species, however if that would be difficult to code, the brood parasite egg as an item should be easier to code.

@Fishbone do you think it'd be worth changing the title slightly to reflect both the mutagen suggestion and the cuckoo suggestion
With the suggestion for a breed only breed being brought back to give more randomness to breeding, I figured its worth bringing this up again for more discussion as overall I prefer the approach here, with a brood parasite rather than a mutant breed or hybrid breed.

Princesomniac's suggestion of the brood parasite egg being in a separate pop up is a nice take on it. I do prefer if the brood stayed in the nest and hatched as a random gen one of the brood species, however if that would be difficult to code, the brood parasite egg as an item should be easier to code.

@Fishbone do you think it'd be worth changing the title slightly to reflect both the mutagen suggestion and the cuckoo suggestion
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
If the hatching only breed was in an 'extra' egg (ie your nest rolls to see how many eggs are produced. If it is less than five, it rolls to see if you get the 'cuckoo' egg or 'mutant' egg). Then I do support as that would mean it would be extra instead taking the place of.

As for the coloration of the mutant dragon it should be based upon its parents' colors. THEN the mutation should be applied (if it is a color mutation). (ie you have a mutation that 'shifts' the dragons color 5 shades either direction. The dragon would first have its original color determined, then it would be shifted, instead of having a random color chosen and that being shifted)
If the hatching only breed was in an 'extra' egg (ie your nest rolls to see how many eggs are produced. If it is less than five, it rolls to see if you get the 'cuckoo' egg or 'mutant' egg). Then I do support as that would mean it would be extra instead taking the place of.

As for the coloration of the mutant dragon it should be based upon its parents' colors. THEN the mutation should be applied (if it is a color mutation). (ie you have a mutation that 'shifts' the dragons color 5 shades either direction. The dragon would first have its original color determined, then it would be shifted, instead of having a random color chosen and that being shifted)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
The problem with this is that we do not currently have dragon mutation artwork.

If one of the dragons had a mutation that had no wings it would not longer fit the criteria of what a dragon is on the site.

If it had two heads, it would be hard if not impossible to have apparel for the dragon.

We do not have the artwork for most of the suggestions in this thread. I would much rather the Artists work on new breeds and mutations of existing breeds.

Also I noted someone said something about 6 egg nests. I cannot support this part of the suggestion.

I probably would not use the mutation items but if it is not too much work on the artists I could see this as something others would want. Neutral support.
The problem with this is that we do not currently have dragon mutation artwork.

If one of the dragons had a mutation that had no wings it would not longer fit the criteria of what a dragon is on the site.

If it had two heads, it would be hard if not impossible to have apparel for the dragon.

We do not have the artwork for most of the suggestions in this thread. I would much rather the Artists work on new breeds and mutations of existing breeds.

Also I noted someone said something about 6 egg nests. I cannot support this part of the suggestion.

I probably would not use the mutation items but if it is not too much work on the artists I could see this as something others would want. Neutral support.
@Qnyxz that's why I said they shouldn't be art intensive mutations like a wingless dragon or a dragon born with two heads. Instead they should be small things ((like a color overlay or non art mutations--such as the random size stats being outside of the norm))

The thing about six eggs wasn't suggesting there actually be six eggs possible it was part of the discussion of if the cuckoo egg would replace an existing egg or be a new egg (which could in theory result in 6 eggs -- the five bred eggs and a cuckoo;essentially it stated that should be avoided by only allowing cuckoos to lay in 4 egg or less nests and a nest with a cuckoo egg presentvwouldn't count towards the quintuplet achievement
@Qnyxz that's why I said they shouldn't be art intensive mutations like a wingless dragon or a dragon born with two heads. Instead they should be small things ((like a color overlay or non art mutations--such as the random size stats being outside of the norm))

The thing about six eggs wasn't suggesting there actually be six eggs possible it was part of the discussion of if the cuckoo egg would replace an existing egg or be a new egg (which could in theory result in 6 eggs -- the five bred eggs and a cuckoo;essentially it stated that should be avoided by only allowing cuckoos to lay in 4 egg or less nests and a nest with a cuckoo egg presentvwouldn't count towards the quintuplet achievement
@Qnyxz

I think there are two basic suggestions:

1. The Cuckoo - If this went the way that I think might be the most popular, this WOULD be a new breed of dragon, just one only obtainable through breeding. So, yeah, the developers would need to work on it, but it would be a new breed in its own right, just its lore wouldn't be that the 'deities created it' or whatever but rather a rare genetic mutation (or rare magical mutation) created this breed out of any other two breeds.

This would mean that it would have to be a nest that comes from two different breeds of dragons and could only happen if the dragons rolled a nest less than 5 eggs (I agree that we don't need something that potentially gives six eggs). The 'cuckoo' would be the new breed of dragon, but perhaps it could be based upon the parent's colors and genes.

2. The mutation - While it would be interesting to see physical mutations, I think this should probably be more for gene or color mutations. (Perhaps this could be a way to introduce some of the 'error' in artwork for genes, such as inverted stripes or the sand vip deal) simply because of the apparel and needing to create a new breed.
@Qnyxz

I think there are two basic suggestions:

1. The Cuckoo - If this went the way that I think might be the most popular, this WOULD be a new breed of dragon, just one only obtainable through breeding. So, yeah, the developers would need to work on it, but it would be a new breed in its own right, just its lore wouldn't be that the 'deities created it' or whatever but rather a rare genetic mutation (or rare magical mutation) created this breed out of any other two breeds.

This would mean that it would have to be a nest that comes from two different breeds of dragons and could only happen if the dragons rolled a nest less than 5 eggs (I agree that we don't need something that potentially gives six eggs). The 'cuckoo' would be the new breed of dragon, but perhaps it could be based upon the parent's colors and genes.

2. The mutation - While it would be interesting to see physical mutations, I think this should probably be more for gene or color mutations. (Perhaps this could be a way to introduce some of the 'error' in artwork for genes, such as inverted stripes or the sand vip deal) simply because of the apparel and needing to create a new breed.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
@Jemadar there's nothing stopping a cuckoo from being created by a deity ((personally I feel it should be created by a deity as all known breeds have been created by a deity)) lore wise, with the way it breeds, this species uses other dragon parents to care for its offspring instead of caring for them themselves.
@Jemadar there's nothing stopping a cuckoo from being created by a deity ((personally I feel it should be created by a deity as all known breeds have been created by a deity)) lore wise, with the way it breeds, this species uses other dragon parents to care for its offspring instead of caring for them themselves.
@DRagonSage

Yeah, truthfully I think I was somewhat getting mixed up on cuckoos and mutants. so imagine the bit about not being created by the deities and being created by a magical mutation down to the mutants ;)

Would a mutant only come about in a 4 nest egg or less? IE would it be rolled for the same way as a cuckoo, meaning it would only be extra to your nest, it wouldn't be taking the place of another egg?
@DRagonSage

Yeah, truthfully I think I was somewhat getting mixed up on cuckoos and mutants. so imagine the bit about not being created by the deities and being created by a magical mutation down to the mutants ;)

Would a mutant only come about in a 4 nest egg or less? IE would it be rolled for the same way as a cuckoo, meaning it would only be extra to your nest, it wouldn't be taking the place of another egg?

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
@Jemadar I think mutations via mutagens should have the potential to affect any egg that was laid by a dragon affected by a mutagen or in a nest affected by a mutagen ((since there was the discussion of two different mutagens, the one on the nest and the one on the parents))

This thread is a bit confusing since there are essentially two different suggestions in it: Cuckoos (Brood Parasite) and Mutations via mutagens. I think Fishbone included Cuckoos in the thread instead of starting a separate thread because the cuckoos where their way of implementing the frequently asked for 'mutant/breed only breed'
@Jemadar I think mutations via mutagens should have the potential to affect any egg that was laid by a dragon affected by a mutagen or in a nest affected by a mutagen ((since there was the discussion of two different mutagens, the one on the nest and the one on the parents))

This thread is a bit confusing since there are essentially two different suggestions in it: Cuckoos (Brood Parasite) and Mutations via mutagens. I think Fishbone included Cuckoos in the thread instead of starting a separate thread because the cuckoos where their way of implementing the frequently asked for 'mutant/breed only breed'
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8