Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Gaoler Tertiary Genes PSD Template
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="InkedMyths" date="2019-06-10 23:35:07" ] While I get why these limitations are being implemented, I would like to see the opportunity to do tert specific accents and skins that go outside the original linework, especially with Wintercoat. I am by no means an expert on developing stuff on websites like this, but could it perchance work with some kind of separate system? I know these breeds are specifically made so they can act without apparel (which is, in part, one of the reasons accents interest me), so is it possible to replace apparel with something else that works with tert specific art? [/quote] @InkedMyths Du d e, this would be amazing! "Secondary accents/skins" that would go overtop the regular skin/accent, like how apparel works, (so long as it stays within the tert genes' linework) would really open up a lot of creative freedom :O Since skins/accents can't be passed down to offspring, I think something like this would be alright to implement?
InkedMyths wrote on 2019-06-10 23:35:07:
While I get why these limitations are being implemented, I would like to see the opportunity to do tert specific accents and skins that go outside the original linework, especially with Wintercoat.

I am by no means an expert on developing stuff on websites like this, but could it perchance work with some kind of separate system? I know these breeds are specifically made so they can act without apparel (which is, in part, one of the reasons accents interest me), so is it possible to replace apparel with something else that works with tert specific art?

@InkedMyths
Du d e, this would be amazing! "Secondary accents/skins" that would go overtop the regular skin/accent, like how apparel works, (so long as it stays within the tert genes' linework) would really open up a lot of creative freedom :O
Since skins/accents can't be passed down to offspring, I think something like this would be alright to implement?
tumblr_inline_p157m551951tc3swm_540.png Achilles / Steven
. He / Thae / They / It » 1999
. Writer » Artist » Roleplayer
. FR +3 » Offline Weekends
d7a3cb0282df8d26e64689d7b0448262176660d8.png
Is there a reference image of how a full body skin looks with one of the line breaking ancient genes? With most of the other line breaking terts, having them break the silhouette of the skin wasn’t that bad because they were so small, but having shardflank break out from under a full body skin seems like it would make for bad skins. Would the terts be able to lay over top of the skins? I haven’t designed any skins yet so I’m just wondering if I’m reading this right
Is there a reference image of how a full body skin looks with one of the line breaking ancient genes? With most of the other line breaking terts, having them break the silhouette of the skin wasn’t that bad because they were so small, but having shardflank break out from under a full body skin seems like it would make for bad skins. Would the terts be able to lay over top of the skins? I haven’t designed any skins yet so I’m just wondering if I’m reading this right
tsm-potions6.png
[quote name="DireRaven" date="2019-06-11 05:02:38" ] Is there a reference image of how a full body skin looks with one of the line breaking ancient genes? With most of the other line breaking terts, having them break the silhouette of the skin wasn’t that bad because they were so small, but having shardflank break out from under a full body skin seems like it would make for bad skins. Would the terts be able to lay over top of the skins? I haven’t designed any skins yet so I’m just wondering if I’m reading this right [/quote] Accents and skins will ALWAYS go on top of the tert. And they must stay within the outline of the basic ungened dragon. So if you coloured in the whole dragon, then gave them gnarlhorns, there would be bits of the horn poking out from under the skin and looking weird. The purpose of the updated files is so the artist who made the skin could make a second version with bits 'cut out' for the gnarlhorns, and possibly the base bits of horn that are within the basic breed outline decorated, so that that version of the skin would look good on a gaoler with that particular tert.
DireRaven wrote on 2019-06-11 05:02:38:
Accents and skins will ALWAYS go on top of the tert. And they must stay within the outline of the basic ungened dragon. So if you coloured in the whole dragon, then gave them gnarlhorns, there would be bits of the horn poking out from under the skin and looking weird.

The purpose of the updated files is so the artist who made the skin could make a second version with bits 'cut out' for the gnarlhorns, and possibly the base bits of horn that are within the basic breed outline decorated, so that that version of the skin would look good on a gaoler with that particular tert.
Seeking male mirror skins/accents.
Oh, thanks so much! I'd made my own convoluted version from grey/grey/radioactive gaolers overlaid over one another.. this works much better haha
Oh, thanks so much! I'd made my own convoluted version from grey/grey/radioactive gaolers overlaid over one another.. this works much better haha
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
I have been wanting to make skins for a while now and with the introduction of Gaolers I was like "FINALLY maybe I will get my butt in gear" but instead I'm left more confused and slightly disappointed feeling. So we have to stick to only this base line. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=5c90457eb5b25120ddeb0b8ea5fb2a99a07f4ebd&dummyext=prev.png[/img] But then you give us genes that take up large portions of the dragons bodies Examples [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=34&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=3c403db850a5a8818af96ffc611252acde6c737a&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=33&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=f7b9f859ed4cf7519a4432a6989ef6da15e479d8&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=27&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=f69dde1d1e767adf0c518d04ab1d72bb70f601b6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] If Im understanding we have to avoid drawing in the areas these genes are supposed to be in? Sooooo like avoid everything on the body of the dragon? I feel this really limits what can be made with all the cool new genes staff has given us. I was looking forward to making a reindeer Gaoler with Gnarlhorns and now I cant work with what I was planning? Honestly if the dragon gets a skin that decorates the gnarlhorns and you put it on something without that gene, thats a personally choice. It would probably look silly and I just do not understand what and why there is a limitation on this. I think a more in depth explanation as to why this cant be a thing is needed to clear up any confusion. This just reads as hey dont do the cool things, "Custom Skins must still remain within the original silhouette of the Gaoler dragon, with the original lineart and shadow layers clipped to them. Gaoler tertiary genes should be treated the same as the Gembond Tertiary gene on the non-ancient breeds. You generally do not paint over it." But why, Im still not understanding why I cannot work with it and paint on it. We want to accent and show off the genes, to work with them, but this prevents that in a way. I cant dress up the new dragons I get so my next best bet to spoil them is to get them skins and accents. Which wont work with half the genes I want to place on them. Sure Ill see the accent/skin in some spots but not everywhere which could take up chunks of the skin designs. I understand staff has no obligation to explain what they do, but it would be very nice and helpful if this was explained in more depth to us. (Apologies if someone did answer in any of the comments and I missed it, but Im not the brightest bulb and need it practically spelled out for me to understand.)
I have been wanting to make skins for a while now and with the introduction of Gaolers I was like "FINALLY maybe I will get my butt in gear" but instead I'm left more confused and slightly disappointed feeling.

So we have to stick to only this base line.
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=5c90457eb5b25120ddeb0b8ea5fb2a99a07f4ebd&dummyext=prev.png

But then you give us genes that take up large portions of the dragons bodies

Examples
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=34&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=3c403db850a5a8818af96ffc611252acde6c737a&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=33&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=f7b9f859ed4cf7519a4432a6989ef6da15e479d8&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=17&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=86&tertgene=27&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=f69dde1d1e767adf0c518d04ab1d72bb70f601b6&dummyext=prev.png

If Im understanding we have to avoid drawing in the areas these genes are supposed to be in? Sooooo like avoid everything on the body of the dragon?
I feel this really limits what can be made with all the cool new genes staff has given us. I was looking forward to making a reindeer Gaoler with Gnarlhorns and now I cant work with what I was planning?

Honestly if the dragon gets a skin that decorates the gnarlhorns and you put it on something without that gene, thats a personally choice. It would probably look silly and I just do not understand what and why there is a limitation on this.

I think a more in depth explanation as to why this cant be a thing is needed to clear up any confusion. This just reads as hey dont do the cool things, "Custom Skins must still remain within the original silhouette of the Gaoler dragon, with the original lineart and shadow layers clipped to them. Gaoler tertiary genes should be treated the same as the Gembond Tertiary gene on the non-ancient breeds. You generally do not paint over it." But why, Im still not understanding why I cannot work with it and paint on it. We want to accent and show off the genes, to work with them, but this prevents that in a way. I cant dress up the new dragons I get so my next best bet to spoil them is to get them skins and accents. Which wont work with half the genes I want to place on them. Sure Ill see the accent/skin in some spots but not everywhere which could take up chunks of the skin designs.

I understand staff has no obligation to explain what they do, but it would be very nice and helpful if this was explained in more depth to us.

(Apologies if someone did answer in any of the comments and I missed it, but Im not the brightest bulb and need it practically spelled out for me to understand.)
@TheFloralFaun this isnt meant to prevent you from coloring on top of these terts; you can still deliberately color over the top of gembond or even accessorize it on modern breeds. i did so with this spiral accent: [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9885463] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/98855/9885463_350.png[/img] [/url] [skin=14941][/center] these guides exist to help artists better utilize these techniques on gaoler skins/accents. you don't have to avoid coloring over the top of, say, shardflank, but you can accentuate it within the perimeter of the dragon's base silhouette. i get why this could be frustrating with terts that break the silhouette in some drastic form (ie wintercoat), but this isn't meant to hinder creativity so much as assist in some people's accent creation
@TheFloralFaun this isnt meant to prevent you from coloring on top of these terts; you can still deliberately color over the top of gembond or even accessorize it on modern breeds.
i did so with this spiral accent:

9885463_350.png

these guides exist to help artists better utilize these techniques on gaoler skins/accents. you don't have to avoid coloring over the top of, say, shardflank, but you can accentuate it within the perimeter of the dragon's base silhouette. i get why this could be frustrating with terts that break the silhouette in some drastic form (ie wintercoat), but this isn't meant to hinder creativity so much as assist in some people's accent creation
tumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko4_100.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko3_250.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko2_250.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko1_250.png
Personally I think it's a bit of a bummer, some of my fave accents are accents that enhance the gembond tertiary gene, to add like glimmers and the like - I would've loved to see such usermade enhancments to Gaoler terts too
Personally I think it's a bit of a bummer, some of my fave accents are accents that enhance the gembond tertiary gene, to add like glimmers and the like - I would've loved to see such usermade enhancments to Gaoler terts too
[quote name="nohsara"]@tvisland [quote name="tvisland" date="2019-06-10 19:38:40" ] yeah i have to say, i'm a bit confused. i know there's at LEAST one accent out there that literally just recolors gembond to look mother-of-pearly, and it covers the parts that go outside the lineart too. not sure why we wouldn't be able to do that with line-breaking terts for gaolers? [/quote] See the post below (in regards to "the parts that go outside the lineart", I would double check that, since based on firefly and spines, that would not be the case) [quote name="nohsara" date="2019-06-10 19:05:51" ] @ ImpossibleJedi4 I think it's the same as spines and firefly (and gembond), in that it will go over the tert, but not outside the original silhouette. Someone pointed this out to me with firefly recently, as I was wondering a similar thing. While it may be a shame we can't design on top of silhouette-breaking terts, I can understand why it would be really difficult for the devs to implement [quote name="Xotik" date="2019-06-08 13:16:29" ] @ nohsara [img]https://i.gyazo.com/177e2768569842e4c754d1e1749622a3.png[/img] On her tail, nose (hard to see with the halo, sorry, only changed the skin for this example), can be seen a firefly, any that go outside of the lineart are not covered by the skins/accents and are therefore, visible. [/quote] [/quote] [/quote] @nohsara i'm not talking about either firefly or spines, but i can literally give you the name of at least one if not more accents that go outside the silhouette lines to recolor gembond. the skin you posted as an example doesn't have any parts that go outside the silhouette so of course you're not going to see any parts go outside the silhouette, lol. but i have had an accent on my wishlist for years now for female coatls, which have gembond that goes pretty significantly outside of the lineart on one of the feet, that the accent covers. clearly it is possible and has been accepted in the past. please don't try to tell me it's not possible and doesn't exist, it absolutely does.
nohsara wrote:
@tvisland
tvisland wrote on 2019-06-10 19:38:40:
yeah i have to say, i'm a bit confused. i know there's at LEAST one accent out there that literally just recolors gembond to look mother-of-pearly, and it covers the parts that go outside the lineart too. not sure why we wouldn't be able to do that with line-breaking terts for gaolers?
See the post below
(in regards to "the parts that go outside the lineart", I would double check that, since based on firefly and spines, that would not be the case)
nohsara wrote on 2019-06-10 19:05:51:
@ ImpossibleJedi4
I think it's the same as spines and firefly (and gembond), in that it will go over the tert, but not outside the original silhouette. Someone pointed this out to me with firefly recently, as I was wondering a similar thing.

While it may be a shame we can't design on top of silhouette-breaking terts, I can understand why it would be really difficult for the devs to implement
Xotik wrote on 2019-06-08 13:16:29:
@ nohsara
177e2768569842e4c754d1e1749622a3.png
On her tail, nose (hard to see with the halo, sorry, only changed the skin for this example), can be seen a firefly, any that go outside of the lineart are not covered by the skins/accents and are therefore, visible.

@nohsara
i'm not talking about either firefly or spines, but i can literally give you the name of at least one if not more accents that go outside the silhouette lines to recolor gembond. the skin you posted as an example doesn't have any parts that go outside the silhouette so of course you're not going to see any parts go outside the silhouette, lol. but i have had an accent on my wishlist for years now for female coatls, which have gembond that goes pretty significantly outside of the lineart on one of the feet, that the accent covers. clearly it is possible and has been accepted in the past. please don't try to tell me it's not possible and doesn't exist, it absolutely does.
___________ Incorporeal Substance ___
sev | he/they
gamedev | writer | artist
tarot adopts | pixel adopts
____9hqcHsy.png
x8YqlBy.gif
11efmKl.png
J7D1quC.png
[quote name="DireRaven" date="2019-06-11 05:02:38" ] Is there a reference image of how a full body skin looks with one of the line breaking ancient genes? [/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/DjHIaaR.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/XENmemV.png[/img] So with the rules of "no going outside the ORIGINAL lineart", you can make a skin for a wintercoat or gnarly Gao, but you won't ever be allowed to color those little grey bits, and the original color WILL show through there. Alternatively, you could make a normal skin using all the normal lineart, and then put it on top of a shard gao and suddenly he's got a case of spikey butt. [img]https://i.imgur.com/BSpg6JJ.png[/img]
DireRaven wrote on 2019-06-11 05:02:38:
Is there a reference image of how a full body skin looks with one of the line breaking ancient genes?

DjHIaaR.png
XENmemV.png

So with the rules of "no going outside the ORIGINAL lineart", you can make a skin for a wintercoat or gnarly Gao, but you won't ever be allowed to color those little grey bits, and the original color WILL show through there.

Alternatively, you could make a normal skin using all the normal lineart, and then put it on top of a shard gao and suddenly he's got a case of spikey butt.
BSpg6JJ.png
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
@tvisland I am just trying to help. Look on the lower left, by the PC’s tail. The firefly is half-covered by the skin and half not covered (where it goes outside the silhouette). It’d be cool if I could see an example of one of these gembond accents, cuz I’m genuinely interested in the answers to how this all works since I make skins/accents myself

Edit: also it may be possible old skins were accepted erroneously, as I’ve seen some older skins with very dark coloring for instance that would be against our understanding of the rules today
@tvisland I am just trying to help. Look on the lower left, by the PC’s tail. The firefly is half-covered by the skin and half not covered (where it goes outside the silhouette). It’d be cool if I could see an example of one of these gembond accents, cuz I’m genuinely interested in the answers to how this all works since I make skins/accents myself

Edit: also it may be possible old skins were accepted erroneously, as I’ve seen some older skins with very dark coloring for instance that would be against our understanding of the rules today
BFEMrcM.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8