Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Arcane Conclave
1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
"What are any of us up to?" the Guardian asked irritably. "My colleagues and I produced an invention with useful applications and intriguing implications. We wanted to test and demonstrate it in real-world field conditions. We've done so on ourselves, many times; there's no danger involved." He shook his head. "Good grief, must one be some sort of power-crazed megalomaniac to create something interesting?"
"What are any of us up to?" the Guardian asked irritably. "My colleagues and I produced an invention with useful applications and intriguing implications. We wanted to test and demonstrate it in real-world field conditions. We've done so on ourselves, many times; there's no danger involved." He shook his head. "Good grief, must one be some sort of power-crazed megalomaniac to create something interesting?"
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
"That depends whether you define blasphemy like cutting off the magic in the world from us as 'interesting.'" Reshaki snarled. At this point, she didn't care if this stranger was several times her size. She'd take him on anyway if he didn't give a straight answer. "So I repeat: What the hell did you just do and how did you do it?" She snarled.
"Not to make too fine a point of it, but you've neither given us your name, nor the name of the ones you represent." Brudigan said archly.
"That depends whether you define blasphemy like cutting off the magic in the world from us as 'interesting.'" Reshaki snarled. At this point, she didn't care if this stranger was several times her size. She'd take him on anyway if he didn't give a straight answer. "So I repeat: What the hell did you just do and how did you do it?" She snarled.
"Not to make too fine a point of it, but you've neither given us your name, nor the name of the ones you represent." Brudigan said archly.
'Why are you frowning?' -Temeraire's first words.
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
"What 'applications' you have in mind is what concerns me. There's a difference between seeing how something works, and using it." Molerince elaborated on her thoughts.

Belttissa almost giggled, "if you really want us to drop all suspicions of you, why be so vague?" She paused for a breath, "if you're open about yourselves and your purpose...then there will be less reason for us to be suspicious." She agreed with the sentiment of the older Fae.
"What 'applications' you have in mind is what concerns me. There's a difference between seeing how something works, and using it." Molerince elaborated on her thoughts.

Belttissa almost giggled, "if you really want us to drop all suspicions of you, why be so vague?" She paused for a breath, "if you're open about yourselves and your purpose...then there will be less reason for us to be suspicious." She agreed with the sentiment of the older Fae.
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
The Guardian sighed. "Oh, very well, I suppose that's fair enough." He shook himself again, muttering something about dragons these days having no appreciation for a dramatic flair.

"My name," he said, "is Sollertis, and I represent a small group of independent researchers. We have no name for ourselves, as of yet." He chuckled and removed his mask, revealing Arcane eyes. "Not for lack of trying, but we simply can't seem to agree. My colleagues and I developed this alloy after one of us, a young dragon with a very promising mind, was subject to a terrible tragedy. His clan was lured into Arcane lands with the promise of an alliance, and then decimated by a magical barrage. We decided to band together and attempt to create some means of defense, something that would level the playing field, as it were, and help guarantee that various parties could negotiate with absolutely no chance of Arcane trickery involved."
The Guardian sighed. "Oh, very well, I suppose that's fair enough." He shook himself again, muttering something about dragons these days having no appreciation for a dramatic flair.

"My name," he said, "is Sollertis, and I represent a small group of independent researchers. We have no name for ourselves, as of yet." He chuckled and removed his mask, revealing Arcane eyes. "Not for lack of trying, but we simply can't seem to agree. My colleagues and I developed this alloy after one of us, a young dragon with a very promising mind, was subject to a terrible tragedy. His clan was lured into Arcane lands with the promise of an alliance, and then decimated by a magical barrage. We decided to band together and attempt to create some means of defense, something that would level the playing field, as it were, and help guarantee that various parties could negotiate with absolutely no chance of Arcane trickery involved."
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
"So you say." Reshaki said, still suspicious. Given enough time, she could envisage far less noble uses for such artifacts.
"Indeed? You've piqued my curiosity, do go on. I'm sure my cohorts here will agree with me when I say that this sounds like quite the find." Brudigan replied, then shot Reshaki a look that said quite plainly: 'behave.'
"So you say." Reshaki said, still suspicious. Given enough time, she could envisage far less noble uses for such artifacts.
"Indeed? You've piqued my curiosity, do go on. I'm sure my cohorts here will agree with me when I say that this sounds like quite the find." Brudigan replied, then shot Reshaki a look that said quite plainly: 'behave.'
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
((very sorry I'm so late D:))

Myria had not flown very far when she felt the magic spasm back into existence. She froze for a moment mid-flight, then quickly fluttered up to keep from falling. She turned back to face the crowd mostly below her, and remained hovering off to the side above the crowd as the guardian spoke with various dragons in the queue. Myria was so intrigued by the monstrous dragon's explanation that she did not bother to try and land anywhere, or at least hover at a reasonable height. She couldn't decide if she ought to be more impressed or wary of such a successful invention of a device that nullifies magic.
((very sorry I'm so late D:))

Myria had not flown very far when she felt the magic spasm back into existence. She froze for a moment mid-flight, then quickly fluttered up to keep from falling. She turned back to face the crowd mostly below her, and remained hovering off to the side above the crowd as the guardian spoke with various dragons in the queue. Myria was so intrigued by the monstrous dragon's explanation that she did not bother to try and land anywhere, or at least hover at a reasonable height. She couldn't decide if she ought to be more impressed or wary of such a successful invention of a device that nullifies magic.
ice_rune_50x50.png ICEWARDEN_sig.png
"When doesn't vagueness reap inquiries...?" Belttissa murmured, giving a little interested hum; the Wildclaw shrugged.

Molerince thought to herself, before venturing another question, not entirely relaxed about the affair, "how...commonplace, would you envision your alloy becoming? Would you have it present in every region, every clan...? I take it this is something you'd share or market."

((Sorry for the lateness everyone, downtime's been coming at the part of the day where I usually stop procrastinating. :\ ))
"When doesn't vagueness reap inquiries...?" Belttissa murmured, giving a little interested hum; the Wildclaw shrugged.

Molerince thought to herself, before venturing another question, not entirely relaxed about the affair, "how...commonplace, would you envision your alloy becoming? Would you have it present in every region, every clan...? I take it this is something you'd share or market."

((Sorry for the lateness everyone, downtime's been coming at the part of the day where I usually stop procrastinating. :\ ))
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
Sollertis rustled his wings back into place. He appeared rather pleased by the curiosity being stirred up around his creation.

"If anyone would care to know more," he said, "you're welcome to follow me back to our tent. We could perform a more... restrained demonstration." He chuckled sheepishly.

"Well, as of now, it's quite difficult to make," he told Molerince. "It took us an entire year to produce a large enough quantity to block out as much as we did for as long as we did just now. It will take some careful thought and deliberation to decide the most responsible use and placement for it." He sat up on his haunches and spread his claws. "Which is, in fact, why we decided to bring it to the Conclave. We had hoped that we could provoke some discussion among the finer minds of the field to help us."

((It's okay; I've been having just about exactly the same problem... if only the site would hurry up and get their act together!))
Sollertis rustled his wings back into place. He appeared rather pleased by the curiosity being stirred up around his creation.

"If anyone would care to know more," he said, "you're welcome to follow me back to our tent. We could perform a more... restrained demonstration." He chuckled sheepishly.

"Well, as of now, it's quite difficult to make," he told Molerince. "It took us an entire year to produce a large enough quantity to block out as much as we did for as long as we did just now. It will take some careful thought and deliberation to decide the most responsible use and placement for it." He sat up on his haunches and spread his claws. "Which is, in fact, why we decided to bring it to the Conclave. We had hoped that we could provoke some discussion among the finer minds of the field to help us."

((It's okay; I've been having just about exactly the same problem... if only the site would hurry up and get their act together!))
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
"Power like this..." Brudigan said.
"Is out of our hands." Reshaki completed decisively. "That kind of power is better off in the hands of the gods." She added afterwards, in a tone that suggested she'd drag the Guardian's broken corpse to the Arcanist's observatory to have her way if he resisted.
"Power like this..." Brudigan said.
"Is out of our hands." Reshaki completed decisively. "That kind of power is better off in the hands of the gods." She added afterwards, in a tone that suggested she'd drag the Guardian's broken corpse to the Arcanist's observatory to have her way if he resisted.
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23