Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [WATERDOM] Library in the Sky [CLOSED]
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85 86
Read subtitles on the last episode of season two of Heaven Official's Blessing today. Also a bunch of short fiction on AO3.

What's your favorite nonfiction book?

My grandmother's copy of Canadian Cook Book is the non-fiction I reach for most frequently. I also love those brick shaped Audubon field guides with the plastic covers, I was obsessed with the butterflies and birds ones as a kid.
Read subtitles on the last episode of season two of Heaven Official's Blessing today. Also a bunch of short fiction on AO3.

My grandmother's copy of Canadian Cook Book is the non-fiction I reach for most frequently. I also love those brick shaped Audubon field guides with the plastic covers, I was obsessed with the butterflies and birds ones as a kid.
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png m2YbpzO.png Xx3ZGyj.png
Write a fic today, shared some lore back n forth with my partner. Was nice, can’t really summarize either

those little animal books that actually give you good information and details on them? I can’t find the one I’m looking for but I know there’s plenty out there
Write a fic today, shared some lore back n forth with my partner. Was nice, can’t really summarize either

those little animal books that actually give you good information and details on them? I can’t find the one I’m looking for but I know there’s plenty out there

o2nagQx.png
mlHpBMC.png

FObX7rS.png
EEEEE
Formally DrShadowCipher
- When using for art games please use scries of my dragons!
- Badge Addict
EEEEE T8jnlRr.jpg
Today I read the mammals chapter of Gary Bogue's [b]The Raccoon Next Door[/b]. For more info on it see my [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3329166/26#post_56605168]first post[/url]! [quote]What's your favorite nonfiction book?[/quote] My current favorite is Ed Yong's [b]An Immense World[/b], a science writer's look into the senses and consciousness of animals from many branches off the tree of life and how they differ from us humans, while strengthening the kinship we can feel with them in describing the topic. His words are simple enough for everyday readers to understand and I highly recommend it to any animal enthusiasts who have the patience to read 355 pages into the overlooked points of view of the world around us.
Today I read the mammals chapter of Gary Bogue's The Raccoon Next Door. For more info on it see my first post!

Quote:
My current favorite is Ed Yong's An Immense World, a science writer's look into the senses and consciousness of animals from many branches off the tree of life and how they differ from us humans, while strengthening the kinship we can feel with them in describing the topic. His words are simple enough for everyday readers to understand and I highly recommend it to any animal enthusiasts who have the patience to read 355 pages into the overlooked points of view of the world around us.
tumblr_inline_mv3akeJbfn1r9ywrd.png JbXHYRG.png
April 18
What is your favorite nonfiction book?

Currently The Tradition by Jericho Brown!

Reading Update

Today I tried something new again - I’ve started reading/listening to The History of Byzantium and it is AMAZING. It’s so interesting and so well done. I will be continuing this read!!
April 18
What is your favorite nonfiction book?

Currently The Tradition by Jericho Brown!

Reading Update

Today I tried something new again - I’ve started reading/listening to The History of Byzantium and it is AMAZING. It’s so interesting and so well done. I will be continuing this read!!
P9aWhak.png
eswSnrS.png
J7D1quC.png
qml57Um.png
3nFPpYa.png
VP2q7rm.png
95dAMMr.png
Read a few more chapters of the A Song of Ice and Fire fic. plus I not only finished the Legend of Drizzt/Forgotten Realms fic, I got far enough in the fic series it's part of to reach the third longfic of the series.

I don't tend to read much nonfiction, but one that's really stuck with me is Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin
Read a few more chapters of the A Song of Ice and Fire fic. plus I not only finished the Legend of Drizzt/Forgotten Realms fic, I got far enough in the fic series it's part of to reach the third longfic of the series.

I don't tend to read much nonfiction, but one that's really stuck with me is Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin
well i read some articles that arent fr safe but good info and research. what i can talk about is "Run, Mourner, Run" by Randall Kenan. its a good short story i knew where it was going but i had to keep reading. its focus is just so good; warning though that the nature of the story means there are racial and homophobic slurs.

uh I'll go with my fancy natgeo book filled with all known species when it was published(which 2008 i think). beautiful green leather with gold shimmer on the page edges and a built in bookmark. theres not much reading to do in it but its just a cool book yknow.
well i read some articles that arent fr safe but good info and research. what i can talk about is "Run, Mourner, Run" by Randall Kenan. its a good short story i knew where it was going but i had to keep reading. its focus is just so good; warning though that the nature of the story means there are racial and homophobic slurs.

uh I'll go with my fancy natgeo book filled with all known species when it was published(which 2008 i think). beautiful green leather with gold shimmer on the page edges and a built in bookmark. theres not much reading to do in it but its just a cool book yknow.
Question of the Day

Well, call me weird, but my favorite nonfiction book is The Encyclopedia of the Cat by Michael Pollard. I don't have a lot of favorite nonfiction books, or really nonfiction books that I like to read in general, but this old christmas gift is still on my shelf today (and got me into cats in the first place).

Speaking of cats, my lovely fluffball decided my copy of Good Omens was a bed today, so I didn't get my reading in for that. I did, however, take the time to cover more site lore. I also found the instructions for my old bluetooth headphones to try and troubleshoot why they weren't working today (music while reading is a must for me XD), so in a way I still got in some sort of reading.

If anyone's curious, I just plugged it into a bad outlet to charge. Aka, the headphones had no juice, and just stayed dead overnight. Rest in peace, tunes to read to. Might end my night seeing if my fluffball reacts to the cat pictures in the cat encyclopedia, or if she'll just purr herself to sleep on my book again.
Question of the Day

Well, call me weird, but my favorite nonfiction book is The Encyclopedia of the Cat by Michael Pollard. I don't have a lot of favorite nonfiction books, or really nonfiction books that I like to read in general, but this old christmas gift is still on my shelf today (and got me into cats in the first place).

Speaking of cats, my lovely fluffball decided my copy of Good Omens was a bed today, so I didn't get my reading in for that. I did, however, take the time to cover more site lore. I also found the instructions for my old bluetooth headphones to try and troubleshoot why they weren't working today (music while reading is a must for me XD), so in a way I still got in some sort of reading.

If anyone's curious, I just plugged it into a bad outlet to charge. Aka, the headphones had no juice, and just stayed dead overnight. Rest in peace, tunes to read to. Might end my night seeing if my fluffball reacts to the cat pictures in the cat encyclopedia, or if she'll just purr herself to sleep on my book again.
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
More of The Martian!
I really like how the author is making the NASA (etc) folks flawed - still heroes, but flawed. Rude, or needy in a way that's not helpful to the overall mission, or questioning competence because someone's not in their immediate circle. Very good, very human stuff.
Question: What's your favorite nonfiction book?
Ohhh tough one! I'll list three, since I'm awful at picking favorites.
- The Red Market by Scott Carney: A fascinating overview of the various markets in human parts; the legal, the illegal, and the grey, including everything from hair to organs. Not exactly cheery reading, but very interesting, and it will make you think about how intertwined everything is in the current world market.
- Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass: A book by the creator of the first (and infamous) "body farm", where decomposition is studied. This book explains what led to its creation, and the work that it does.
- Necropolis: London and its Dead by Catherine Arnold: An in-depth look at burial customs through the centuries in London, and how the long-dead continue to effect the city even today.
(As anyone reading through the thread may have noticed, if you want deathy books, I'm your guy.)
((Oh god I forgot about Rabid by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy - a really engrossing history of rabies and human culture! Also will make you by REALLY CAREFUL about rabies, which I view as a bonus!))
More of The Martian!
I really like how the author is making the NASA (etc) folks flawed - still heroes, but flawed. Rude, or needy in a way that's not helpful to the overall mission, or questioning competence because someone's not in their immediate circle. Very good, very human stuff.
Question: What's your favorite nonfiction book?
Ohhh tough one! I'll list three, since I'm awful at picking favorites.
- The Red Market by Scott Carney: A fascinating overview of the various markets in human parts; the legal, the illegal, and the grey, including everything from hair to organs. Not exactly cheery reading, but very interesting, and it will make you think about how intertwined everything is in the current world market.
- Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass: A book by the creator of the first (and infamous) "body farm", where decomposition is studied. This book explains what led to its creation, and the work that it does.
- Necropolis: London and its Dead by Catherine Arnold: An in-depth look at burial customs through the centuries in London, and how the long-dead continue to effect the city even today.
(As anyone reading through the thread may have noticed, if you want deathy books, I'm your guy.)
((Oh god I forgot about Rabid by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy - a really engrossing history of rabies and human culture! Also will make you by REALLY CAREFUL about rabies, which I view as a bonus!))
NM0r94k.png Ala3t4v.png
D9xaprH.png
ypcKWM0.png
9R2Unq1.png
nnBylsC.png
ZqTATLu.png
V9BoEMC.png
5hF3FGk.png
7UXlQKU.gif
q9EEy5M.png
878OlvW.png
Did some light reading in the form of a few articles, namely one centered around the evolution of horror and how it often reflects societal fears of the era. Makes me want to delve more into horror, since I've really only dabbled in a few things that I really like...

Favorite nonfiction book? It's a little silly, but the one that comes to mind is Will It Blow? by Elizabeth Rusch. I've had a lifelong fascination with volcanoes, particularly a couple of rather well known ones I happen to live near, one of which being the main topic of the picture book I named. I spent hours as a kid reading and rereading that book.
Did some light reading in the form of a few articles, namely one centered around the evolution of horror and how it often reflects societal fears of the era. Makes me want to delve more into horror, since I've really only dabbled in a few things that I really like...

Favorite nonfiction book? It's a little silly, but the one that comes to mind is Will It Blow? by Elizabeth Rusch. I've had a lifelong fascination with volcanoes, particularly a couple of rather well known ones I happen to live near, one of which being the main topic of the picture book I named. I spent hours as a kid reading and rereading that book.
Wishlist here!
*strums ukulele in a terrible rendition of Wonderwall*
Life & Death Reborn
Oh hey I have a hatchery now!
-
Uh oh, guess who has a Skin Shop now too
Read more of the first Harry Potter book today, but didn't get nearly as far as I would've liked. Some days its just hard to get away from distractions.

A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut is high on the list, as is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and the works attributed to Epictetus.
Read more of the first Harry Potter book today, but didn't get nearly as far as I would've liked. Some days its just hard to get away from distractions.

A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut is high on the list, as is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and the works attributed to Epictetus.
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85 86