Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Last Dragon Standing: [CLOSED]
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 17
[center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/844790813091561482/931435637570142298/image0.jpg[/img][/center] Thank you so much for writing the ending you did. Bunny’s goal was never to ‘win’ the competition. It was to process grief. By proxy. It was for me to process my grief, I hadn’t cried over momma-san yet. Not really, not how I needed. So I too sit at the summit, among the flowers and snow... Momma isn’t coming back. It hurts so freaking bad, for weeks my brain didn’t accept it. Literally made me walk around with this haze that she was sleeping under a bed. But no, she’s gone. She gone but my love will never be. You say grief is a cycle? I’d never heard that before but suddenly it’s makes sense and I realize I’m not weird for lingering on it. I’m just human. Thank you. Your writing was great, every snapshot felt like a movie. Thank you.
image0.jpg
Thank you so much for writing the ending you did. Bunny’s goal was never to ‘win’ the competition.
It was to process grief.
By proxy. It was for me to process my grief, I hadn’t cried over momma-san yet. Not really, not how I needed.
So I too sit at the summit, among the flowers and snow...
Momma isn’t coming back.
It hurts so freaking bad, for weeks my brain didn’t accept it. Literally made me walk around with this haze that she was sleeping under a bed. But no, she’s gone. She gone but my love will never be.
You say grief is a cycle? I’d never heard that before but suddenly it’s makes sense and I realize I’m not weird for lingering on it. I’m just human.

Thank you. Your writing was great, every snapshot felt like a movie. Thank you.
dove_cryptidove.pngfkWjutW.png5c15bb999532f9391109728396a638d13602f294.png
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/39434442][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/394345/39434442_350.png[/img][/url][/center] Carmeline thinks she might be dying. It isn't the first time she's felt like this. The first was when she was eight years old, watching something rise and tear from the earth, a darkness like a gaping wound; the blood of the sacrifice staining the dirt. And then there were more - more monsters, more battles, quick and violent and brutal. She's never had a "death" this slow. It saps her bit by bit, and soon she fears she'll have nothing left to give. When she breathes in, she can feel the frigid air in her lungs, and it [i]hurts.[/i] The snow burns no less intensely than a flame. She tries to distract herself, thinks of mysteries and the flower at the top of the peak. But she can only focus on two miserable things: it hurts, and it's cold. She calls for her traveling partner. It stings her pride, to be so effortlessly left behind. His strides are massive, and he barely seems bothered by the chill. Larger animals lose heat more slowly than smaller ones, she thinks distantly, dumbly. She only manages to meet his gaze for a moment before her head falls, and she stares down at the snow. She knows what she saw in his eyes as she gasps for breath, inhaling the frozen air. Disgust, and pity, and all such similar things. She knows he'll leave. She refuses to beg and she has nothing to bargain with, so she just... waits, trying to catch her breath. She waits for it. The crunch of snow as he walks away. Perhaps silently, or perhaps he'll jeer at her weakness - it's not unearned, she supposes. She waits for the sound of footsteps. She waits. She keeps waiting. As if something in the world shifts, he offers her a shoulder. She blinks in genuine surprise, but she can't see his face from this angle. She doesn't have a clue what might be going through his head. (No, that's not entirely true. She thinks of a crown, powdered with snow. She thinks of the heaviness to his gait. She thinks of a great mistake that shadows her, now and forever, always.) (She thinks they might not be altogether too different.) When she climbs onto his back, still clutching her tainted pearl, she can't help but feel a tad guilty that she's so surprised things turned out this way. But his scales are warm, and she tucks in her limbs to warm them before frostbite can set in. The unbelievable happens. They reach the summit. She didn't think she could make it here, and despite her better judgement, despite all her cynicism, she can't stop smiling. Now warmed - well, warmed enough - she drops from Reverence's back, to where the gathered dragons seem... happy. The competition is forgotten, now, as the sun crests over the world below. It doesn't feel like a race. It... feels like everyone is simply happy to be [i]alive.[/i] It's a precious moment, crystalized like a snowflake. She feels a bit out of place until the photographer takes one of her, and she's... touched in a way that she can't quite name as she thanks him. She lingers, then, chatting and simply cherishing the view, and the fact that she's made it this far. She didn't think she would, for a while. Reverence lingers by the outskirts like she had a few minutes prior. She hands him a photograph, and she sees how carefully he handles it. Is this how she looked when she was handed her photo? He offers a shoulder again, but she merely shakes her head. She feels invigorated, almost eager to tackle the climb that felled her once before. There's something bittersweet in the air as they leave the summit. It was a precious moment, and perhaps one she'll always cherish. She hopes so. The sentimental mood has weakened her, and as she leads the way down the mountain, she pauses for just a moment. She thinks of what she would need to hear if she was in his shoes. “I don’t know what you’re going through,” she settles, on, finally. “but if you ever need to talk about it… I wouldn’t mind listening.” The silence continues, but at least to her, it feels like a comfortable one. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1895073#post_20765741][img]https://i.imgur.com/ssUw0jZ.png[/img][/url] We really went from the Hunger Games to Celeste, huh? This whole scene was beautiful and really inspired me, I hope you don't mind. :>
39434442_350.png

Carmeline thinks she might be dying.

It isn't the first time she's felt like this. The first was when she was eight years old, watching something rise and tear from the earth, a darkness like a gaping wound; the blood of the sacrifice staining the dirt. And then there were more - more monsters, more battles, quick and violent and brutal.

She's never had a "death" this slow. It saps her bit by bit, and soon she fears she'll have nothing left to give. When she breathes in, she can feel the frigid air in her lungs, and it hurts. The snow burns no less intensely than a flame. She tries to distract herself, thinks of mysteries and the flower at the top of the peak. But she can only focus on two miserable things: it hurts, and it's cold.

She calls for her traveling partner. It stings her pride, to be so effortlessly left behind. His strides are massive, and he barely seems bothered by the chill. Larger animals lose heat more slowly than smaller ones, she thinks distantly, dumbly. She only manages to meet his gaze for a moment before her head falls, and she stares down at the snow. She knows what she saw in his eyes as she gasps for breath, inhaling the frozen air. Disgust, and pity, and all such similar things.

She knows he'll leave. She refuses to beg and she has nothing to bargain with, so she just... waits, trying to catch her breath. She waits for it. The crunch of snow as he walks away. Perhaps silently, or perhaps he'll jeer at her weakness - it's not unearned, she supposes. She waits for the sound of footsteps. She waits. She keeps waiting.

As if something in the world shifts, he offers her a shoulder. She blinks in genuine surprise, but she can't see his face from this angle. She doesn't have a clue what might be going through his head. (No, that's not entirely true. She thinks of a crown, powdered with snow. She thinks of the heaviness to his gait. She thinks of a great mistake that shadows her, now and forever, always.)

(She thinks they might not be altogether too different.)

When she climbs onto his back, still clutching her tainted pearl, she can't help but feel a tad guilty that she's so surprised things turned out this way. But his scales are warm, and she tucks in her limbs to warm them before frostbite can set in. The unbelievable happens.

They reach the summit.

She didn't think she could make it here, and despite her better judgement, despite all her cynicism, she can't stop smiling. Now warmed - well, warmed enough - she drops from Reverence's back, to where the gathered dragons seem... happy. The competition is forgotten, now, as the sun crests over the world below.

It doesn't feel like a race. It... feels like everyone is simply happy to be alive. It's a precious moment, crystalized like a snowflake. She feels a bit out of place until the photographer takes one of her, and she's... touched in a way that she can't quite name as she thanks him. She lingers, then, chatting and simply cherishing the view, and the fact that she's made it this far.

She didn't think she would, for a while.

Reverence lingers by the outskirts like she had a few minutes prior. She hands him a photograph, and she sees how carefully he handles it. Is this how she looked when she was handed her photo? He offers a shoulder again, but she merely shakes her head. She feels invigorated, almost eager to tackle the climb that felled her once before.

There's something bittersweet in the air as they leave the summit. It was a precious moment, and perhaps one she'll always cherish. She hopes so. The sentimental mood has weakened her, and as she leads the way down the mountain, she pauses for just a moment. She thinks of what she would need to hear if she was in his shoes.

“I don’t know what you’re going through,” she settles, on, finally. “but if you ever need to talk about it… I wouldn’t mind listening.”

The silence continues, but at least to her, it feels like a comfortable one.
ssUw0jZ.png

We really went from the Hunger Games to Celeste, huh?

This whole scene was beautiful and really inspired me, I hope you don't mind. :>
2db8adadca3ef8633cbd21fe5b445b5d349eabdb.png
@Cryptidove Thank you for sharing your love for Momma-san with me. I'm happy that my writing, both in game and out, was able to help you come to terms with your loss. @Venusian Both of your updates from Carmeline's perspective have been incredibly, beautifully written. I'm very glad my writing has inspired you and resonated with you! You truly have a wonderful talent for story telling, and I'd love to read more of your work in the future! This has been me last night after writing the last update and now this morning [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/33/b0/a233b0014fb3a3108977a3825820e2c9.jpg[/img] I knew long before I wrote round 6 that I did not want it to be a violent one. I knew pain and sadness would come before and follow the picking of the snowfall orchid, but I also knew that any good, sad story needs moments of reprieve, and that's what I wanted this update to be. At first I was sad to see Marina and Bunny go, but now I realize there were no better dragons to be eliminated this round. This was the best way to end their character arcs. ----- Anyways closing off this message with the very first post I saw this morning when I logged into tumblr that absolutely sucker-punched me in the gut: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/821358316499370025/931532432312786984/Screenshot_20220114-075522_Chrome.jpg[/img] Anyways I'm about to tally the results and start writing eliminations. See ya'll in 3 hours after I finish the next [s]novella[/s] update!
@Cryptidove

Thank you for sharing your love for Momma-san with me. I'm happy that my writing, both in game and out, was able to help you come to terms with your loss.

@Venusian

Both of your updates from Carmeline's perspective have been incredibly, beautifully written. I'm very glad my writing has inspired you and resonated with you! You truly have a wonderful talent for story telling, and I'd love to read more of your work in the future!

This has been me last night after writing the last update and now this morning

a233b0014fb3a3108977a3825820e2c9.jpg

I knew long before I wrote round 6 that I did not want it to be a violent one. I knew pain and sadness would come before and follow the picking of the snowfall orchid, but I also knew that any good, sad story needs moments of reprieve, and that's what I wanted this update to be.

At first I was sad to see Marina and Bunny go, but now I realize there were no better dragons to be eliminated this round. This was the best way to end their character arcs.

Anyways closing off this message with the very first post I saw this morning when I logged into tumblr that absolutely sucker-punched me in the gut:

Screenshot_20220114-075522_Chrome.jpg

Anyways I'm about to tally the results and start writing eliminations. See ya'll in 3 hours after I finish the next novella update!
Aikka_commission_a_little_brighter.gif FObX7rS.png
apUeZZ4.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
YMPbu9R.png
Previously a nest host for Active Nest Rentals 2.0!
You're crushing my heart beneath your heel with these updates, holy cow ;A; I'm so happy for Bunny and Marina, despite how bittersweet it is to see them eliminated, and wish them all the best with the rest of their life journies (big and small!)

And ouch..... it is too early for the extra emotional beating, @/Venusian /lh I love the blurb you posted of Carmeline's introspection - it feels like I'm reading a delightful collaborative short story :'^D
You're crushing my heart beneath your heel with these updates, holy cow ;A; I'm so happy for Bunny and Marina, despite how bittersweet it is to see them eliminated, and wish them all the best with the rest of their life journies (big and small!)

And ouch..... it is too early for the extra emotional beating, @/Venusian /lh I love the blurb you posted of Carmeline's introspection - it feels like I'm reading a delightful collaborative short story :'^D
tumblr_inline_nl99l3zmlQ1ro4abf_100.png AzWEmYL.png ghostingskies
» they/he
» FR +2
» pings OK!
[i]While the temperature was still well below freezing, the dragons on the expedition team definitely notice the air is not quite so bitterly cold. It seems the weather has finally turned around, the sun warming the faces of all who look upon it that morning. Snow and ice soften under the sun’s warm morning gaze, with icicles dripping water onto the heads of passerby. A fog has descended on the valley below, but hasn’t come close to reach the dragons still high up the side of Sharktooth Mountain.[/i] ----- [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/640056/64005582p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/553146/55314575p.png[/img] [b]Maolin, Firefly[/center] There’s not much to say between them. With the wind dying down today and the sun returning some of the warmth to their bones they felt would never return, Maolin and Firefly set out again at the break of dawn. It feels a little cruel to admit to himself, but he’s enjoying his time now more that Eirostle was gone. He and Maolin had been so focused on the young one’s safety that he’d not had any chance to really enjoy the view or the fresh mountain air, and now that they weren’t playing the role of babysitter, (or being chased by wolves, or being pelted with snow and hail), they were free to move at their own pace, enjoying the scenery all around them. When they stop for their midday rest, Maolin takes out her sketchbook once again and records what she sees around her, Firefly climbing up a nearby tree to get the perfect photo of the fog-laden valley below. Maolin draws the fog covered valley as well, but with the added rendition of a little imperial flying through the sky, into the world beyond. ----- [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/663190/66318901p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/371094/37109379p.png[/img] [b][color=red]Taibre[/color], Ranita[/center] Taibre hasn’t moved since they woke up. At first Ranita is panicked—did she freeze to death overnight? Was her body frozen over with frostbite?—but at the sight of Taibre’s [i]tears[/i], she realizes this isn’t a physical affliction that’s keeping her from moving. Ranita does her best to try to cheer Taibre up, to get her up and moving again. She shakes her shoulder, but Taibre doesn’t respond. She tries to tell a funny story, but Taibre only turns her back to her. She offers her a portion of her food, but Taibre rejects that too. “Alright, sunshine,” Ranita finally says, exasperated. “We need to get up. We have to keep moving. I don’t know about you, but I’m not looking to freeze to death in this death trap of a mountain.” Taibre shoots Ranita a dirty look, getting up and stomping over to the edge of the rock they’ve camped on. Ranita flinches at the hostile reaction, but uh, hey, it’s progress she supposes? “Aaaaaalright then,” she says, picking up Taibre’s bag and handing it to her. “Let’s uh, finish this competition up, so we can get the heck out of here! Haha, you know, money and adventure and all that...fun…. Stuff.” “[b]To [i]HELL[/b] with this STUPID competition!” Taibre yells, causing Ranita to jump. “I didn’t come here for money, I came--” she stutters as she reaches into her bag, her hand grasping the flower canister “—I [i]came[/i] because, because--” Taibre [i]screams[/i] as she tilts her arm back to throw the flower “—rraAAAAHHHHHHHH--” Ranita makes to grab for Taibre’s wrist, bu it’s too late, the canister is sent flying over the mountainside “—I [i]miss[/i] him,” she yells into the void below. Ranita doesn’t know what to do or say, frozen in place behind Taibre, her hands hovering awkwardly over her shaking form. She’s never been [i]great[/i] at the people stuff, and she feels hopeless as the skydancer’s shoulders quake with the force of her sobs, her tears mixing with the snow beneath her. The canister bounces off the ground, shattering to bits and destroying the flower inside. “I [i]miss[/i] him,” she sobs again. “It’s my fault. It’s my fault.” Her voice cracks as it reduces to a whisper, cradling her head in her hands as the grief hits her fresh as it did the first time she cried over Ptarmigan’s death. Ranita wraps her arms awkwardly around the other’s shoulders, doing her best to comfort her as she cries it out. [center]~~~~~[/center] Taibre doesn’t elaborates on who [i]he[/i] is, and Ranita doesn’t press for details. It’s clear that whatever this issue is, it’s what’s been weighing on her the whole hike. Ranita wants to help, but she and Taibre are still practically strangers in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn’t feel it’s right to pry. With Taibre’s flower and canister destroyed, she no longer qualifies to win the competition, but the climb down is done for neither of them. They pack up camp and continue their descent. [i]Another day or so, and this will all be over.[/i] ----- [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/394345/39434442p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/577131/57713000p.png[/img] [b]Carmeline, Reverence[/center] The two can’t help but bask in the glory of the morning sun as they both awaken from their slumber. The mood is quiet, light as they light a small fire to heat their food over. They heat up some snow, and Carmeline is kind enough to share some of her tea bags she’s brought, the two cradling hot mugs in their hands as they watch the sun rise together. There’s an unspoken camaraderie between them now, a spell that’s made them both feel lighter than either one has in a long time. Carmeline traces the carvings of her pearl idly as they enjoy the sunrise and the sounds of birds chirping so early in the morning. Reverence fingers the straps of his bag, aching to hold his crown. He hides it from Carmeline, as he does everyone, not knowing she’s already in on part of his secret. When the tea is long gone and the sun is fully over the horizon, Reverence stands up, marking the end of their morning reverie. They both collect their things and pack up, preparing to leave. Somehow, Carmeline feels restless—probably from excitement, she thinks, as their perilous journey is coming close to its end, the hardest part finally over—and she looks up at the tall imperial, asking him, “Would you like to hear about the beast I found in cliff side of Light territory, overlooking the Shifting Expanse?” He gives her a quizzical look, but ultimately nods. Why not? It’d help to pass the time on the long hike down, he supposed. And when Carmeline tells him the tale of adventure, intrigue, danger, and death-defying odds, there’s a part of him that aches once again for the glory and power of his domain, his kingdom, again. And so when she trails off, her epic tale of monster-hunting prowess at its end, Reverence softly tell a story of his own—of a kingdom that fell long ago, and the foolish king who let it all burn to the ground. Carmeline listens, nodding politely along as Reverence tells his tale. He never outright states it’s his [i]own[/i] story, but they both know it to be his. ----- [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/736041/73604077p.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/686367/68636635p.png[/img] [b]Bone Collector, [color=red]Sirocco[/center] “I, uh, I’m not so sure this is a good idea.” Bone Collector watches from the entrance of the cave as Sirocco pokes at support beams and rail tracks, practically touching [i]everything[/i] inside the abandoned mine they seem to have stumbled across. “Aw, come on now! Where’s your sense of adventure?” High off the adrenaline of having retrieved the flower and emboldened by how far they’ve come along, Sirocco flits about the entrance of the mine, carelessly picking up and inspecting all the interesting things lying about. He picks up a pickaxe and swings it at the wall, causing Bone Collector to flinch as it bounces off the rock. “[b]WATCH it![/b]” he warns the spiral. “We don’t know how stable this thing is.” He lowers his voice as he realizes how loud he’s yelling into the cavern. “There wasn’t even anything [i]in[/i] the debriefing about an abandoned mine. Why is this even here, so high up?” “Dunno,” Sirocco replies elegantly. He looks towards the dark end of the cavern, pondering, “You think there’s anything valuable in there?” “Not so valuable as our lives,” Bone Collector puffs, “or the prize money.” Unlike some of the people on this expedition, he had his eyes on the prize—he [i]really[/i] needed that treasure. “Come onnnnnnn,” he whines, looking nervously about the cavern for any hint of danger. “Let’s just get going. We’re losing daylight!” Sirocco huffs. “At least let me find [i]something[/i] interesting,” he grumbles. “How are people supposed to believe I did this cool climb if I don’t at least come back with a souvenir?” Bone Collector sputters. “Th-th-this isn’t a tourist trap! We’re on a life-threatening hike! We almost got eaten by [i]wolves![/i]” Bone collector pleads with Sirocco. “Didn’t we get those photos? That should be more than enough!” He stomps his foot on the ground. “I-if you don’t come with, I’m leaving you behind!” He’s bluffing, but he’s hoping Sirocco doesn’t notice. Sirocco pushes over a pile of discarded wooden beams. “Ugh, fiiiiiiiiiiiiine,” he whines in return. “Give me like, two minutes--” The wooden beams he had shoved to the side slide down the wall they were leaning on, landing on a rotting, cracked beam, causing it to split and collapse. Sirocco squeaks, instinctively backing away from the groaning and cracking coming from the ceiling—and going deeper into the cave behind him. “SIROCC—” Bone Collector doesn’t have time to finish calling the spiral’s name before the entrance caves in, a deafening [i]boom[/i] echoing across the mountainside. ----- A boom so loud, it echoes all down the mountain, making all of its residents look up at the source. A puff of white snow is spit off the mountain, and the ground beneath them begins to rumble. Everyone braces themselves as they watch in horror as the snow begins to shift above them, a small wave of snow above them quickly growing in size and speed as it rises, like a tsunami, down the mountain, straight at them-- “AVALANCHE!” ----- This concludes round 7 of Sharktooth Ascension! Aid and sabotage can now be sent for round 8. Please remember to PM me using the form on the first page to send in aid or sabotage. The deadline for aid/sabotage is 17:00 FR time—any aid/sabotage sent after 17:00 will either be refunded or pushed forward into the next round. ----- [size=0][size=0][size=0][size=0] @posibee @ChaosSyst @Lucanidae @LouckyKoneko @Nihilis @COparade @Venusian @Mandragorum @Deladria @Bxy26 @lusbiana @EtherealEggs @TwelveBrackets @MUZAN @TinkaDreamChaser @Borkbean @cartographic @LynxSideris @MidnightMonarch @Cocolatia @SilentWanderer @Elfydragon @Doodlepede @Crimsonpixie @LynxSideris @Venusian @aredshroom @TwelveBrackets @ghostingskies @findingpears @Deladria @ClearBright @Lucanidae
While the temperature was still well below freezing, the dragons on the expedition team definitely notice the air is not quite so bitterly cold. It seems the weather has finally turned around, the sun warming the faces of all who look upon it that morning.

Snow and ice soften under the sun’s warm morning gaze, with icicles dripping water onto the heads of passerby. A fog has descended on the valley below, but hasn’t come close to reach the dragons still high up the side of Sharktooth Mountain.

64005582p.png55314575p.png

Maolin, Firefly

There’s not much to say between them. With the wind dying down today and the sun returning some of the warmth to their bones they felt would never return, Maolin and Firefly set out again at the break of dawn.

It feels a little cruel to admit to himself, but he’s enjoying his time now more that Eirostle was gone. He and Maolin had been so focused on the young one’s safety that he’d not had any chance to really enjoy the view or the fresh mountain air, and now that they weren’t playing the role of babysitter, (or being chased by wolves, or being pelted with snow and hail), they were free to move at their own pace, enjoying the scenery all around them.

When they stop for their midday rest, Maolin takes out her sketchbook once again and records what she sees around her, Firefly climbing up a nearby tree to get the perfect photo of the fog-laden valley below. Maolin draws the fog covered valley as well, but with the added rendition of a little imperial flying through the sky, into the world beyond.

66318901p.png37109379p.png

Taibre, Ranita

Taibre hasn’t moved since they woke up.

At first Ranita is panicked—did she freeze to death overnight? Was her body frozen over with frostbite?—but at the sight of Taibre’s tears, she realizes this isn’t a physical affliction that’s keeping her from moving.

Ranita does her best to try to cheer Taibre up, to get her up and moving again. She shakes her shoulder, but Taibre doesn’t respond. She tries to tell a funny story, but Taibre only turns her back to her. She offers her a portion of her food, but Taibre rejects that too.

“Alright, sunshine,” Ranita finally says, exasperated. “We need to get up. We have to keep moving. I don’t know about you, but I’m not looking to freeze to death in this death trap of a mountain.”

Taibre shoots Ranita a dirty look, getting up and stomping over to the edge of the rock they’ve camped on. Ranita flinches at the hostile reaction, but uh, hey, it’s progress she supposes?

“Aaaaaalright then,” she says, picking up Taibre’s bag and handing it to her. “Let’s uh, finish this competition up, so we can get the heck out of here! Haha, you know, money and adventure and all that...fun…. Stuff.”

To HELL with this STUPID competition!” Taibre yells, causing Ranita to jump. “I didn’t come here for money, I came--” she stutters as she reaches into her bag, her hand grasping the flower canister “—I came because, because--” Taibre screams as she tilts her arm back to throw the flower “—rraAAAAHHHHHHHH--” Ranita makes to grab for Taibre’s wrist, bu it’s too late, the canister is sent flying over the mountainside “—I miss him,” she yells into the void below.

Ranita doesn’t know what to do or say, frozen in place behind Taibre, her hands hovering awkwardly over her shaking form. She’s never been great at the people stuff, and she feels hopeless as the skydancer’s shoulders quake with the force of her sobs, her tears mixing with the snow beneath her. The canister bounces off the ground, shattering to bits and destroying the flower inside.

“I miss him,” she sobs again. “It’s my fault. It’s my fault.” Her voice cracks as it reduces to a whisper, cradling her head in her hands as the grief hits her fresh as it did the first time she cried over Ptarmigan’s death. Ranita wraps her arms awkwardly around the other’s shoulders, doing her best to comfort her as she cries it out.
~~~~~

Taibre doesn’t elaborates on who he is, and Ranita doesn’t press for details. It’s clear that whatever this issue is, it’s what’s been weighing on her the whole hike. Ranita wants to help, but she and Taibre are still practically strangers in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn’t feel it’s right to pry.

With Taibre’s flower and canister destroyed, she no longer qualifies to win the competition, but the climb down is done for neither of them. They pack up camp and continue their descent.

Another day or so, and this will all be over.

39434442p.png57713000p.png

Carmeline, Reverence

The two can’t help but bask in the glory of the morning sun as they both awaken from their slumber.

The mood is quiet, light as they light a small fire to heat their food over. They heat up some snow, and Carmeline is kind enough to share some of her tea bags she’s brought, the two cradling hot mugs in their hands as they watch the sun rise together. There’s an unspoken camaraderie between them now, a spell that’s made them both feel lighter than either one has in a long time. Carmeline traces the carvings of her pearl idly as they enjoy the sunrise and the sounds of birds chirping so early in the morning. Reverence fingers the straps of his bag, aching to hold his crown. He hides it from Carmeline, as he does everyone, not knowing she’s already in on part of his secret.

When the tea is long gone and the sun is fully over the horizon, Reverence stands up, marking the end of their morning reverie. They both collect their things and pack up, preparing to leave.

Somehow, Carmeline feels restless—probably from excitement, she thinks, as their perilous journey is coming close to its end, the hardest part finally over—and she looks up at the tall imperial, asking him, “Would you like to hear about the beast I found in cliff side of Light territory, overlooking the Shifting Expanse?”

He gives her a quizzical look, but ultimately nods. Why not? It’d help to pass the time on the long hike down, he supposed.

And when Carmeline tells him the tale of adventure, intrigue, danger, and death-defying odds, there’s a part of him that aches once again for the glory and power of his domain, his kingdom, again.

And so when she trails off, her epic tale of monster-hunting prowess at its end, Reverence softly tell a story of his own—of a kingdom that fell long ago, and the foolish king who let it all burn to the ground. Carmeline listens, nodding politely along as Reverence tells his tale.

He never outright states it’s his own story, but they both know it to be his.

73604077p.png68636635p.png

Bone Collector, Sirocco

“I, uh, I’m not so sure this is a good idea.”

Bone Collector watches from the entrance of the cave as Sirocco pokes at support beams and rail tracks, practically touching everything inside the abandoned mine they seem to have stumbled across.

“Aw, come on now! Where’s your sense of adventure?” High off the adrenaline of having retrieved the flower and emboldened by how far they’ve come along, Sirocco flits about the entrance of the mine, carelessly picking up and inspecting all the interesting things lying about. He picks up a pickaxe and swings it at the wall, causing Bone Collector to flinch as it bounces off the rock.

WATCH it!” he warns the spiral. “We don’t know how stable this thing is.” He lowers his voice as he realizes how loud he’s yelling into the cavern. “There wasn’t even anything in the debriefing about an abandoned mine. Why is this even here, so high up?”

“Dunno,” Sirocco replies elegantly. He looks towards the dark end of the cavern, pondering, “You think there’s anything valuable in there?”

“Not so valuable as our lives,” Bone Collector puffs, “or the prize money.” Unlike some of the people on this expedition, he had his eyes on the prize—he really needed that treasure. “Come onnnnnnn,” he whines, looking nervously about the cavern for any hint of danger. “Let’s just get going. We’re losing daylight!”

Sirocco huffs. “At least let me find something interesting,” he grumbles. “How are people supposed to believe I did this cool climb if I don’t at least come back with a souvenir?”

Bone Collector sputters. “Th-th-this isn’t a tourist trap! We’re on a life-threatening hike! We almost got eaten by wolves!” Bone collector pleads with Sirocco. “Didn’t we get those photos? That should be more than enough!” He stomps his foot on the ground. “I-if you don’t come with, I’m leaving you behind!” He’s bluffing, but he’s hoping Sirocco doesn’t notice.

Sirocco pushes over a pile of discarded wooden beams. “Ugh, fiiiiiiiiiiiiine,” he whines in return. “Give me like, two minutes--”

The wooden beams he had shoved to the side slide down the wall they were leaning on, landing on a rotting, cracked beam, causing it to split and collapse. Sirocco squeaks, instinctively backing away from the groaning and cracking coming from the ceiling—and going deeper into the cave behind him.

“SIROCC—” Bone Collector doesn’t have time to finish calling the spiral’s name before the entrance caves in, a deafening boom echoing across the mountainside.

A boom so loud, it echoes all down the mountain, making all of its residents look up at the source. A puff of white snow is spit off the mountain, and the ground beneath them begins to rumble.

Everyone braces themselves as they watch in horror as the snow begins to shift above them, a small wave of snow above them quickly growing in size and speed as it rises, like a tsunami, down the mountain, straight at them--

“AVALANCHE!”

This concludes round 7 of Sharktooth Ascension! Aid and sabotage can now be sent for round 8. Please remember to PM me using the form on the first page to send in aid or sabotage. The deadline for aid/sabotage is 17:00 FR time—any aid/sabotage sent after 17:00 will either be refunded or pushed forward into the next round.

@posibee @ChaosSyst @Lucanidae @LouckyKoneko @Nihilis @COparade @Venusian @Mandragorum @Deladria @Bxy26 @lusbiana @EtherealEggs @TwelveBrackets @MUZAN @TinkaDreamChaser @Borkbean @cartographic @LynxSideris @MidnightMonarch @Cocolatia @SilentWanderer @Elfydragon @Doodlepede @Crimsonpixie @LynxSideris @Venusian @aredshroom @TwelveBrackets @ghostingskies @findingpears @Deladria @ClearBright @Lucanidae
apUeZZ4.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
YMPbu9R.png
Sirocco NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was rooting for him!! poor bby!
Sirocco NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was rooting for him!! poor bby!
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
SIROCCO?!?! OH MY GOD PLEASE let him be okay!!!!
(also I apologize for not talking here at all! I've still been reading though, and enjoying all the things everyone's been getting up to!)
SIROCCO?!?! OH MY GOD PLEASE let him be okay!!!!
(also I apologize for not talking here at all! I've still been reading though, and enjoying all the things everyone's been getting up to!)
Omg Sirocco what have you done XD
(I hope he's OK though! Poor guy!)
Omg Sirocco what have you done XD
(I hope he's OK though! Poor guy!)
104.png Wishlist
361.png Gene Plans
121.pngFR+8
progen-small.pngsignature-badge.jpg kashan-icon-small.pngbadge-Strange-Sisters-small.png
oh NO sirocco! he totally won me over after the whole egg incident, hope he's alright ><

@ venusian, the story you wrote was so amazing and heart wrenching... this bit of storyline was really beautiful, ah the slight hopefulness and the beginnings of a new friendship! i'm so glad these two dragons with very different personalities managed to find a little solace and companionship in each other:")

i wrote a lil bit too for reverence because i was inspired by all the amazing storytelling, the fact that this much storyline and character development is fitted in every day is increeedible
oh NO sirocco! he totally won me over after the whole egg incident, hope he's alright ><

@ venusian, the story you wrote was so amazing and heart wrenching... this bit of storyline was really beautiful, ah the slight hopefulness and the beginnings of a new friendship! i'm so glad these two dragons with very different personalities managed to find a little solace and companionship in each other:")

i wrote a lil bit too for reverence because i was inspired by all the amazing storytelling, the fact that this much storyline and character development is fitted in every day is increeedible
uzBJ98z.png n hfdjsaa
aaVNO5chn.png
@Crimsonpixie [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/899335319130886198/931603130108510218/unknown.png[/img] I'm so honoredddddddddddd :sob: I love your writing from his perspective! The coldness, the grief, the self-hatred, the disgust.... Excellent, excellent, excellent!!! I'm so happy to have inspired this <3 [s]hey uh... what crown did you want for him? Asking for a friend
@Crimsonpixie

unknown.png

I'm so honoredddddddddddd :sob:

I love your writing from his perspective! The coldness, the grief, the self-hatred, the disgust.... Excellent, excellent, excellent!!! I'm so happy to have inspired this <3

hey uh... what crown did you want for him? Asking for a friend
apUeZZ4.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
YMPbu9R.png
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 17