Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Languages?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Korento
My English never got better in school, using it in the internet made it to become a lot better 8'DDD And like... to me understanding and writing is easy, but talking.... ehehehheh... I have horrible accent.
@Korento
My English never got better in school, using it in the internet made it to become a lot better 8'DDD And like... to me understanding and writing is easy, but talking.... ehehehheh... I have horrible accent.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.pngWQA384m.pngdEo6ta2.png
@Kahvinporo
Almost same things for me, friend got me into watching anime (Japanese with Eng subs) where that former pain of English finally clicked in my head. I probably just needed a motivator, something where I needed to use it, to get it working. But oh yes, the accent, I know your pain. But it's better to just roll with it, you need that practice.
But when you get yourself speaking, those words you need right then just disappear from your head even as you know you know and understand them. I once spent 15 minutes trying to explain "marshmallow" to exchange student. I think "that white soft candy you can toast over fire" is pretty accurate, but he enjoyed seeing me struggle so he kept me going for a long while and I might have figured every possible way to describe marshmallow in that time.
@Kahvinporo
Almost same things for me, friend got me into watching anime (Japanese with Eng subs) where that former pain of English finally clicked in my head. I probably just needed a motivator, something where I needed to use it, to get it working. But oh yes, the accent, I know your pain. But it's better to just roll with it, you need that practice.
But when you get yourself speaking, those words you need right then just disappear from your head even as you know you know and understand them. I once spent 15 minutes trying to explain "marshmallow" to exchange student. I think "that white soft candy you can toast over fire" is pretty accurate, but he enjoyed seeing me struggle so he kept me going for a long while and I might have figured every possible way to describe marshmallow in that time.
My native language is English but I'm also learning Swedish
Also a tiny bit of Russian, Punjabi and Italian.
My native language is English but I'm also learning Swedish
Also a tiny bit of Russian, Punjabi and Italian.
nocturne.gif
@Zothsis
So i've been taking Vietnamese for a month, and my teacher is the one to always remind us, "If you are to learn a language, then you must study in the community of that language." Honestly, i really think it works. People walk around and up to me speak Vietnamese all the time, and it really helps me remember vocab and stuff. BUT! Vietnamese is an easy language, and very easy to remember, because it has a Latin alphabet, with character that represent easy sounds.

I remember stuff if I practice everyday, and listen songs native to language, or try hearing daily conversations, like from anime(japanese) or just shows(russian) hope it sorta helps
@Zothsis
So i've been taking Vietnamese for a month, and my teacher is the one to always remind us, "If you are to learn a language, then you must study in the community of that language." Honestly, i really think it works. People walk around and up to me speak Vietnamese all the time, and it really helps me remember vocab and stuff. BUT! Vietnamese is an easy language, and very easy to remember, because it has a Latin alphabet, with character that represent easy sounds.

I remember stuff if I practice everyday, and listen songs native to language, or try hearing daily conversations, like from anime(japanese) or just shows(russian) hope it sorta helps
rm75Mos.pngLnJHI9M.pngc0Toaoa.png
I'm a native English speaker, but I speak a little Spanish, Russian, German, and French, in roughly that order (my Spanish is vastly better than my French).

My speaking isn't so good in my non-native languages, since, I confess, I mainly study languages to be able to read in them, since I'm a historian.

German's probably the toughest language I've tried to learn so far, oddly -- I live in a state with a lot of Spanish speakers, and Russian wasn't too difficult for me once I learned the alphabet. But something about German articles just defeats me utterly.
I'm a native English speaker, but I speak a little Spanish, Russian, German, and French, in roughly that order (my Spanish is vastly better than my French).

My speaking isn't so good in my non-native languages, since, I confess, I mainly study languages to be able to read in them, since I'm a historian.

German's probably the toughest language I've tried to learn so far, oddly -- I live in a state with a lot of Spanish speakers, and Russian wasn't too difficult for me once I learned the alphabet. But something about German articles just defeats me utterly.
ZM3TQUN.png
@Zothsis

The official language of China is mandarin, but most regions in China with the exception of Beijing where mandarin is actually their native dialect have their own though. The last time I remember going to Hong Kong which was years ago it was kind of half/half. Some of the people there couldn't speak really good mandarin and some could. That said I did get around perfectly fine speaking mandarin though.

As for me.

english( born in the states, grew up speaking english)

mandarin( mostly fluent, I can switch between mandarin and english without having to consciously think about it most of the time)- Parents are Taiwanese so i'm used to hearing a mixture of english and chinese from my parents when they address me...

Taiwanese( can understand it since my grandparents overseas( my grandmother at least) can only speak Taiwanese, but I can't actually speak it though).

some French, but very little since I took French in high school and still remember some of it even though it's been over 10 years.
@Zothsis

The official language of China is mandarin, but most regions in China with the exception of Beijing where mandarin is actually their native dialect have their own though. The last time I remember going to Hong Kong which was years ago it was kind of half/half. Some of the people there couldn't speak really good mandarin and some could. That said I did get around perfectly fine speaking mandarin though.

As for me.

english( born in the states, grew up speaking english)

mandarin( mostly fluent, I can switch between mandarin and english without having to consciously think about it most of the time)- Parents are Taiwanese so i'm used to hearing a mixture of english and chinese from my parents when they address me...

Taiwanese( can understand it since my grandparents overseas( my grandmother at least) can only speak Taiwanese, but I can't actually speak it though).

some French, but very little since I took French in high school and still remember some of it even though it's been over 10 years.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.- Le petit prince.
My first language is German, English was second, followed by French. I'm fluent in all three, though I sometimes struggle with writing French correctly - my brain often just blanks at the question which é / è goes where in a word 8D
My first language is German, English was second, followed by French. I'm fluent in all three, though I sometimes struggle with writing French correctly - my brain often just blanks at the question which é / è goes where in a word 8D
tumblr_inline_nm3gqhG6rQ1qmu9vp_540.png
@Zothsis Well like almost everyone my first language is actually english although its not my mother tongue! Well my hindi has most likely deteriorated since I don't live in India anymore, but i can still understand it quite well as for speaking don't even ask. I have finally started learning bengali, but my reading and writing skills are elementary at best. Swedish is pretty good at although it's grammar is weird.
@Zothsis Well like almost everyone my first language is actually english although its not my mother tongue! Well my hindi has most likely deteriorated since I don't live in India anymore, but i can still understand it quite well as for speaking don't even ask. I have finally started learning bengali, but my reading and writing skills are elementary at best. Swedish is pretty good at although it's grammar is weird.
conXkZb.png
Hungarian is my mother language, and I have been studying English for 8 years now I think. I am also learning German for four years now, but I can't use is at all. Nope. And I started studying Japanese two years ago, and I have been getting along quite well, though my teacher is too busy for me atm.
Hungarian is my mother language, and I have been studying English for 8 years now I think. I am also learning German for four years now, but I can't use is at all. Nope. And I started studying Japanese two years ago, and I have been getting along quite well, though my teacher is too busy for me atm.
IBS0rcq.png ~commissions
~accents
~art thread
~dragons with gijinka
My first language is Portuguese (hi from Brazil!), but I'm fluent in English and Spanish as well. In fact, my english is better than my spanish, don't ask me why or how.

And I know a few words of some other languages, but can't put them in context for ****. Let's see... German, chinese, japanese, italian, french, one or two in latin, and for the fictional ones, klingon, romulan and vulcan. Also I can write and read in circular Gallifreyan and Coruscanthian. Would love to actually speak any of the above.
My first language is Portuguese (hi from Brazil!), but I'm fluent in English and Spanish as well. In fact, my english is better than my spanish, don't ask me why or how.

And I know a few words of some other languages, but can't put them in context for ****. Let's see... German, chinese, japanese, italian, french, one or two in latin, and for the fictional ones, klingon, romulan and vulcan. Also I can write and read in circular Gallifreyan and Coruscanthian. Would love to actually speak any of the above.
OOf4SrF.gif
~
OOf4SrF.gif
uUqCbLO.png
EiPW4qT.png
06xk8gV.png
smPAAMS.png
C08Skw8.png
27AZD8S.png
PRICTGJ.png
zl1ZGZ2.png
FE9pJK1.png