Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Languages?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
My mother tongue is Cantonese, but my "main" language is English. I have no idea how to read or write Chinese. I know very very basic French.

I'm also trying to learn ASL. : )
My mother tongue is Cantonese, but my "main" language is English. I have no idea how to read or write Chinese. I know very very basic French.

I'm also trying to learn ASL. : )
KDLhMC6.png
I'm a native English speaker but I'm also nearing fluency in German after studying it in a university setting (and I'm going there this winter for the first time!) I also know a little Danish and Malay and I'll be taking Russian next semester.

In the future I really want to learn Italian so I can find and communicate with my dad's side of the family. Most of them are still in Italy.
I'm a native English speaker but I'm also nearing fluency in German after studying it in a university setting (and I'm going there this winter for the first time!) I also know a little Danish and Malay and I'll be taking Russian next semester.

In the future I really want to learn Italian so I can find and communicate with my dad's side of the family. Most of them are still in Italy.
Hi! My first language is Swedishh and my second English. And I study French and Spanish in school, but I'm not very good at the two last named languages :p

But Hej, Hello, Hola, and Salut! :3
Hi! My first language is Swedishh and my second English. And I study French and Spanish in school, but I'm not very good at the two last named languages :p

But Hej, Hello, Hola, and Salut! :3
iceflight_by_kitsunka-d8l0oi6.png
I'm a native English speaker. I've been fascinated with Russian for a long time and at one point tried to teach myself the language, but it didn't stick very well. I still remember the alphabet and a few words.

I recently picked up Swedish and it seems to be sticking! It feels somewhat intuitive and I'm really enjoying it - reading and writing it is going well, but I definitely can't speak it yet. So hej to all the svenska speakers! :D

There are so many other languages I'm interested in. SO MANY.
I'm a native English speaker. I've been fascinated with Russian for a long time and at one point tried to teach myself the language, but it didn't stick very well. I still remember the alphabet and a few words.

I recently picked up Swedish and it seems to be sticking! It feels somewhat intuitive and I'm really enjoying it - reading and writing it is going well, but I definitely can't speak it yet. So hej to all the svenska speakers! :D

There are so many other languages I'm interested in. SO MANY.
My native language is German but I know English and I began studying Italian this school year. I'll study Russian in next year's school year (I am so excited of it. :3) and even if I heard it's hard, I still want to study it because I got interested. :D I already know some Russian. ^^

I know bits and pieces of: Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, uhm... I don't know if this was all but I suppose so. XD
My native language is German but I know English and I began studying Italian this school year. I'll study Russian in next year's school year (I am so excited of it. :3) and even if I heard it's hard, I still want to study it because I got interested. :D I already know some Russian. ^^

I know bits and pieces of: Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Japanese, uhm... I don't know if this was all but I suppose so. XD
My native language is Portuguese, and I'm fluent in English since I studied it for something like, 13 years? Didn't need to learn it after the 9th year of studying, but I really really like english. XD

And I'm learning italian at the moment, but very slowly. I'm hoping to learn sign language in the future. :>
My native language is Portuguese, and I'm fluent in English since I studied it for something like, 13 years? Didn't need to learn it after the 9th year of studying, but I really really like english. XD

And I'm learning italian at the moment, but very slowly. I'm hoping to learn sign language in the future. :>
tumblr_ntcm4yFLF51u2ejcwo1_500.png
@dunkel
I heard Mandarin and Cantonese are very very different, but I tried it and couldn't get the hang of it. D: To be honest, I thought I sounded silly even trying to speak it, because it's just so different and full of complicated sounds. I knew there was no one I could talk to for that, because I'd never even be able to spell! XD

@EchoTheAlpha
Maybe in the future we can scribble some stuff together. XD I'm thinking if I have someone to write with, I'll be able to make things stick better. I went on a Russian PenPal site a long while ago, but all they wanted to do was Skype, which... I don't have. I use Trillian. DX; It's less slow and absolutely no ads all over the place. Plus, I don't want to video chat, I only want to type. D:

@sailorsirius
That was my thing too for a while, even after studying, I could still remember the letters and what sounds they made for a long while even though I never used them.

@Dinosnores
Ohhey, yeah, mine too actually. My great grandparents came directly from Sicily, so I have a lot of family over there, but I don't know them. Rumor has it though my grandmother knows a few... and they're in the mob. :|
@dunkel
I heard Mandarin and Cantonese are very very different, but I tried it and couldn't get the hang of it. D: To be honest, I thought I sounded silly even trying to speak it, because it's just so different and full of complicated sounds. I knew there was no one I could talk to for that, because I'd never even be able to spell! XD

@EchoTheAlpha
Maybe in the future we can scribble some stuff together. XD I'm thinking if I have someone to write with, I'll be able to make things stick better. I went on a Russian PenPal site a long while ago, but all they wanted to do was Skype, which... I don't have. I use Trillian. DX; It's less slow and absolutely no ads all over the place. Plus, I don't want to video chat, I only want to type. D:

@sailorsirius
That was my thing too for a while, even after studying, I could still remember the letters and what sounds they made for a long while even though I never used them.

@Dinosnores
Ohhey, yeah, mine too actually. My great grandparents came directly from Sicily, so I have a lot of family over there, but I don't know them. Rumor has it though my grandmother knows a few... and they're in the mob. :|
@Zothsis

I like that idea. c: I would love to. :D
@Zothsis

I like that idea. c: I would love to. :D
My native language is Spanish. I've been learning English since I was little from all kinds of sources, so I consider myself pretty fluid in it. A great thing about the Internet is the endless opportunities to practice said language daily :D

I've been taking casual German classes for a couple of years now, but right now it's all foggy. It's been months since I last picked it up. I also know most Japanese kanas and I recognize a couple of kanji, but nothing serious.
My native language is Spanish. I've been learning English since I was little from all kinds of sources, so I consider myself pretty fluid in it. A great thing about the Internet is the endless opportunities to practice said language daily :D

I've been taking casual German classes for a couple of years now, but right now it's all foggy. It's been months since I last picked it up. I also know most Japanese kanas and I recognize a couple of kanji, but nothing serious.
BattleRoyale%20NT_zpsehfaecqv.gifqvTNuJR.png
@Zothsis Haha, I understand. I've been casually teaching my friend, and together we learned that Cantonese is one of the languages with the most tones. Not only that, start tossing in emotion! For instance, maintaining the tones but saying it an octave higher to sound surprised, or an octave lower to be angry -- actually much more difficult than I could have thought.

I think it's really interesting to teach one's mother tongue to someone else. You realize there are so many things you take for granted, and just how little you know about your own language.
@Zothsis Haha, I understand. I've been casually teaching my friend, and together we learned that Cantonese is one of the languages with the most tones. Not only that, start tossing in emotion! For instance, maintaining the tones but saying it an octave higher to sound surprised, or an octave lower to be angry -- actually much more difficult than I could have thought.

I think it's really interesting to teach one's mother tongue to someone else. You realize there are so many things you take for granted, and just how little you know about your own language.
KDLhMC6.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9