Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Frustrated by FR?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
The issue is that for a site this size there shouldn't only be one programmer and, if there is, it should become a main focus, not just a cash cow hobby.
The issue is that for a site this size there shouldn't only be one programmer and, if there is, it should become a main focus, not just a cash cow hobby.
Breeds triple gened pastel & tiger coatls/wildclaws on request, PM if interested.
@Clocks that programmer for the fairgrounds and coli would be tharge. I honestly dont know if hes still around behind the scenes or not, but I suspect that since he was incharge of the fairgrounds and coli, akiri had to learn all the code for those aspects of the site before they were able to change anything if tharge was let go completely (which I dont think he was) I too wish the programming updates were a bit faster, but most of the programming work being done is the optimizing of the sites code to try and get it to a point where it can handle a large amount of users constantly. I suspect these frequent reg periods are a good sign that they are finally getting the sites base code to a point where it can remain stable under stress.

All I know is that I dont want another week of downtime because the code breaks >.
@Clocks that programmer for the fairgrounds and coli would be tharge. I honestly dont know if hes still around behind the scenes or not, but I suspect that since he was incharge of the fairgrounds and coli, akiri had to learn all the code for those aspects of the site before they were able to change anything if tharge was let go completely (which I dont think he was) I too wish the programming updates were a bit faster, but most of the programming work being done is the optimizing of the sites code to try and get it to a point where it can handle a large amount of users constantly. I suspect these frequent reg periods are a good sign that they are finally getting the sites base code to a point where it can remain stable under stress.

All I know is that I dont want another week of downtime because the code breaks >.
I am 2 hours ahead of FR.
tumblr_ob0n13DcYV1uhpgueo1_1280.png
Just a reminder everyone...Akari was in a terrible car crash Early Jan 2014 and has spent most of this year healing and not focusing so much on programming. His health has been improving a lot from my understanding, but for 4-5 months he was basically unable to work at all.

Akari and Thrage are pretty much the only programmers that I know of. I also doubt that fR is in a place financially to be able to support another coder's salary while they're trying to stabilize/buy servers etc.

I know it sucks waiting for things to be implemented, but these things are important to remember.
Just a reminder everyone...Akari was in a terrible car crash Early Jan 2014 and has spent most of this year healing and not focusing so much on programming. His health has been improving a lot from my understanding, but for 4-5 months he was basically unable to work at all.

Akari and Thrage are pretty much the only programmers that I know of. I also doubt that fR is in a place financially to be able to support another coder's salary while they're trying to stabilize/buy servers etc.

I know it sucks waiting for things to be implemented, but these things are important to remember.
tumblr_inline_oiamx6wpfn1r3h1o8_540.png
@Sorikai 100% agreed! That's a great way to put it.

@Roccy I know it's Thrage, I didn't mention him by name because I didn't think it was worth stirring up old drama/having people ask him about it. I doubt they got rid of him because he's one of the four site owners (so to get rid of him completely they'd have to buy out his share of the company, and he'd have to be willing to sell it) but whether he is still programming is indeed questionable. I also agree that it's possible that Akiri had to learn javascript (I have this weird theory that that may be why attribute stones got fixed... but got fixed so late), but the solution to a problem like this would be to hire another competent programmer, not waste time learning another computer language by yourself.

And yeah, there's a lot of back-end stuff we can't see, but my comment to that is always: when they did their "optimizations" and split things into two servers, I noticed things working worse than before, which is not what you want your consumers to experience. Notifications and treasure are either sticky or laggy (since the servers don't appear to be seamless), for a long time we had to keep logging in twice (although that seems to have been fixed, thankfully enough), and I know some people actually can't access the other server on mobile or weird bugs like that.

That stuff is important, but so is general UI / ease of use of the site. For example, changing pings to take you to the direct post ID probably wouldn't take too long to code properly in theory, but would really enhance the experience for users on the site. But ???
@Sorikai 100% agreed! That's a great way to put it.

@Roccy I know it's Thrage, I didn't mention him by name because I didn't think it was worth stirring up old drama/having people ask him about it. I doubt they got rid of him because he's one of the four site owners (so to get rid of him completely they'd have to buy out his share of the company, and he'd have to be willing to sell it) but whether he is still programming is indeed questionable. I also agree that it's possible that Akiri had to learn javascript (I have this weird theory that that may be why attribute stones got fixed... but got fixed so late), but the solution to a problem like this would be to hire another competent programmer, not waste time learning another computer language by yourself.

And yeah, there's a lot of back-end stuff we can't see, but my comment to that is always: when they did their "optimizations" and split things into two servers, I noticed things working worse than before, which is not what you want your consumers to experience. Notifications and treasure are either sticky or laggy (since the servers don't appear to be seamless), for a long time we had to keep logging in twice (although that seems to have been fixed, thankfully enough), and I know some people actually can't access the other server on mobile or weird bugs like that.

That stuff is important, but so is general UI / ease of use of the site. For example, changing pings to take you to the direct post ID probably wouldn't take too long to code properly in theory, but would really enhance the experience for users on the site. But ???
__________PDduh6K.png

_— hatchery
__— wishlist
____— tumblr
__V6RpU3i.png
@Clocks Eventually everything is going to be www1 though so its a transitioning phase slowly moving things one by one, and fixing the problems that arise in smaller portions, the parts of the site that handle treasure are all on the same server now it seems. (at least to me) I dont really get any pm lag or treasure lag anymore. and at the moment the site isnt really geared or set up for mobile devices in the first place, which is why so many bugs occur on mobiles that dont show up for people using pcs.

Im personally fine with the way things are atm for the forums, its not impossible to use, and sure while things can be made better its not as if those things arent gamebreaking features. and a lot of times things that can seem simple can be a pain in the rear to actually implement. I have friends who are coders, and they complain about it constantly, and a lot of times changing one little thing can break twelve others.
@Clocks Eventually everything is going to be www1 though so its a transitioning phase slowly moving things one by one, and fixing the problems that arise in smaller portions, the parts of the site that handle treasure are all on the same server now it seems. (at least to me) I dont really get any pm lag or treasure lag anymore. and at the moment the site isnt really geared or set up for mobile devices in the first place, which is why so many bugs occur on mobiles that dont show up for people using pcs.

Im personally fine with the way things are atm for the forums, its not impossible to use, and sure while things can be made better its not as if those things arent gamebreaking features. and a lot of times things that can seem simple can be a pain in the rear to actually implement. I have friends who are coders, and they complain about it constantly, and a lot of times changing one little thing can break twelve others.
I am 2 hours ahead of FR.
tumblr_ob0n13DcYV1uhpgueo1_1280.png
i bought all the chess pieces for the achievement, and i still havent gotten it yet

its apparently lagging and will be recieved in a week or so but im just upset i havent gotten it yet
i bought all the chess pieces for the achievement, and i still havent gotten it yet

its apparently lagging and will be recieved in a week or so but im just upset i havent gotten it yet
tumblr_inline_nqwshr7pEj1rbfe8q_500.gifMQBN6C7.pngFZcWp.gif tumblr_nm1sm0uXkM1tfzajgo2_75sq.gif
I wish they would fix the game's problems before inviting more people in.
dominance rewards are poop.
dominance rewards are poop.
IJJc6Sg.png 6I84XUY.gif wXPzM1Z.gif
the auction economy sucks. bringing in more people helps for a little while but it always gets bad again. there needs to be a control or multiple controls to keep prices more consistent&reasonable and dragons moving.
the auction economy sucks. bringing in more people helps for a little while but it always gets bad again. there needs to be a control or multiple controls to keep prices more consistent&reasonable and dragons moving.
jamie
they or ou/ou's/ouself
arcanist_by_dragonmasterlynn-d8k67gq.gif
[quote name="Pixar" date="2014-12-06 20:41:40"][center][color=purple]I wish they would fix the game's problems before inviting more people in.[/quote]
Pixar wrote on 2014-12-06 20:41:40:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10