Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Frustrated by FR?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Roccy
This is where I'm coming from as well. I participated in a video game making class as an artist. The teams consisted of one musician, a writer, an artist, and 3 programers. Our games were only suppose to last 5 min but the amount of programming required for even that was substantial and took outrageous amounts of trial and error ( and this was with guides and game engines that simplified the process)

I have overwhelming respect for programers. And to me these reaccuring hiccups are just a part of the game/site. FR has been around for what, about 2 years? It's just a wee baby compared to other pet sites
@Roccy
This is where I'm coming from as well. I participated in a video game making class as an artist. The teams consisted of one musician, a writer, an artist, and 3 programers. Our games were only suppose to last 5 min but the amount of programming required for even that was substantial and took outrageous amounts of trial and error ( and this was with guides and game engines that simplified the process)

I have overwhelming respect for programers. And to me these reaccuring hiccups are just a part of the game/site. FR has been around for what, about 2 years? It's just a wee baby compared to other pet sites
myBpQio.gif
@Tablode

FR has been around for a year and a half. :)
@Tablode

FR has been around for a year and a half. :)
9PW8odu.jpg
I can't stand the people who complain about things a relatively small site with limited resources can't entirely control.
I can't stand the people who complain about things a relatively small site with limited resources can't entirely control.
With the site itself, I'm really annoyed by the how pointless it is to exalt level 1 dragons. I think that giving different rewards for exalting dragons (not just "more treasure" since that literally won't make a significant difference, but maybe something like a material that could be traded to Swipp or something similar) could go a long way with reducing the excessive amount of dragons that exist. I dunno, just spitballing here, but basically it'd be nice to not have to train up every dragon I want to exalt.

Other users on this site bug me when they presume to know that some feature they want couldn't possibly be that difficult to implement because it's just like a checkbox or something, right???? People who know absolutely nothing about programming chronically assume programmers can just magically change anything super easily (bonus points if the programmer in question never wrote the thing they have a problem with) and it's one of the most annoying things in the universe.
With the site itself, I'm really annoyed by the how pointless it is to exalt level 1 dragons. I think that giving different rewards for exalting dragons (not just "more treasure" since that literally won't make a significant difference, but maybe something like a material that could be traded to Swipp or something similar) could go a long way with reducing the excessive amount of dragons that exist. I dunno, just spitballing here, but basically it'd be nice to not have to train up every dragon I want to exalt.

Other users on this site bug me when they presume to know that some feature they want couldn't possibly be that difficult to implement because it's just like a checkbox or something, right???? People who know absolutely nothing about programming chronically assume programmers can just magically change anything super easily (bonus points if the programmer in question never wrote the thing they have a problem with) and it's one of the most annoying things in the universe.
Oh, are we talking about pet peeves related to users and their arguments now?

The argument that:
1) the site isn't that old, so it's okay if it's lacking basic features other pet sites often have from inception, like secure item trading
2) programming is hard (yes, and no one is saying that all these bugs need to get fixed in a day, but after a year of something being broken you start to wonder why)
3) it's free to play with limited resources (pretty sure FR has the most average number of users online second only to neopets... they're not exactly not making money, let's just say that)
Oh, are we talking about pet peeves related to users and their arguments now?

The argument that:
1) the site isn't that old, so it's okay if it's lacking basic features other pet sites often have from inception, like secure item trading
2) programming is hard (yes, and no one is saying that all these bugs need to get fixed in a day, but after a year of something being broken you start to wonder why)
3) it's free to play with limited resources (pretty sure FR has the most average number of users online second only to neopets... they're not exactly not making money, let's just say that)
__________PDduh6K.png

_— hatchery
__— wishlist
____— tumblr
__V6RpU3i.png
[quote name="Clocks" date="2014-12-07 12:59:09"] 2) programming is [i]hard[/i] (yes, and no one is saying that all these bugs need to get fixed in a day, but after a year of something being broken you start to wonder why) [/quote] I said it on the previous page, and I'll say it now. Akari was in a severe car crash in January and he's one of the main programmers, aside from Thrage who only works on the Coli/Fairgrounds from my knowledge. So that may be why things aren't getting fixed at the pace people would like... @clocks
Clocks wrote on 2014-12-07 12:59:09:

I said it on the previous page, and I'll say it now. Akari was in a severe car crash in January and he's one of the main programmers, aside from Thrage who only works on the Coli/Fairgrounds from my knowledge. So that may be why things aren't getting fixed at the pace people would like... @clocks
tumblr_inline_oiamx6wpfn1r3h1o8_540.png
@CountofCasualty Yes, and I always agree that it was horrible what happened, but if the site owners (including Akiri, Undel, Xhaztol, and Thrage) were looking out for their site, they would look into hiring (or contracting) a programmer to keep the site going. I think another user said it best, [quote name="Sorikai" date="2014-12-06 19:00:32"]The issue is that for a site this size there shouldn't only be one programmer and, if there is, it should become a main focus, not just a cash cow hobby.[/quote] This is really not a 'small' site despite what people think -- it's the biggest pet site I can think of apart from neopets. Having just one active programmer (Akiri -- I don't know where Thrage went, but nothing has been done on the coli/fairgrounds in ages) who is not even fully focused on the site (because of his injuries and it not being his primary job) makes me question how committed to the business they are.
@CountofCasualty Yes, and I always agree that it was horrible what happened, but if the site owners (including Akiri, Undel, Xhaztol, and Thrage) were looking out for their site, they would look into hiring (or contracting) a programmer to keep the site going.

I think another user said it best,
Sorikai wrote on 2014-12-06 19:00:32:
The issue is that for a site this size there shouldn't only be one programmer and, if there is, it should become a main focus, not just a cash cow hobby.
This is really not a 'small' site despite what people think -- it's the biggest pet site I can think of apart from neopets. Having just one active programmer (Akiri -- I don't know where Thrage went, but nothing has been done on the coli/fairgrounds in ages) who is not even fully focused on the site (because of his injuries and it not being his primary job) makes me question how committed to the business they are.
__________PDduh6K.png

_— hatchery
__— wishlist
____— tumblr
__V6RpU3i.png
@Clocks I can't speak for them, but I imagine most of their money is going to Lightsky(??) who has been working on stabilizing the servers and optimizing everything because FR was never coded to handle more then 250-500 people at a time.

As for Akari's other job, who knows. We haven't heard much of it, or him since the crash, there's been a few things here and there but that's about it. All I know is he's a police officer who does have a family to support and I imagine FR can't fully support him yet and until it can I doubt he wants to quit his job that can support him and his family. It would be absolutely foolish to do such.
@Clocks I can't speak for them, but I imagine most of their money is going to Lightsky(??) who has been working on stabilizing the servers and optimizing everything because FR was never coded to handle more then 250-500 people at a time.

As for Akari's other job, who knows. We haven't heard much of it, or him since the crash, there's been a few things here and there but that's about it. All I know is he's a police officer who does have a family to support and I imagine FR can't fully support him yet and until it can I doubt he wants to quit his job that can support him and his family. It would be absolutely foolish to do such.
tumblr_inline_oiamx6wpfn1r3h1o8_540.png
[center]Read through the entire thread. [quote name="CountofCasualty" date="2014-12-06 20:13:00"]Just a reminder everyone...Akari was in a terrible car crash Early Jan 2014 and has spent most of this year healing and not focusing so much on programming. His health has been improving a lot from my understanding, but for 4-5 months he was basically unable to work at all. Akari and Thrage are pretty much the only programmers that I know of. I also doubt that fR is in a place financially to be able to support another coder's salary while they're trying to stabilize/buy servers etc. I know it sucks waiting for things to be implemented, but these things are important to remember.[/quote] [quote name="Pixar" date="2014-12-06 20:41:40"][center][color=purple]I wish they would fix the game's problems before inviting more people in.[/quote] -agrees with the quoted posts- To be honest I understand the irritation with all the art updates. I've been itching for all the little issues (many discussed here) to be fixed or implemented or something. (One thing I'm really curious about is that when I joined I thought I heard of a crafting mechanic being implimented someday, but I guess that's not a thing anymore?) But man the crap coders have to go through. I would say it should be very evident by now that they don't have enough coders currently so just be patient. Also I never see the drama around the forums that everyone's always talking about despite hanging around? eh, maybe that's just me. Honestly I find this site really solid for what it's had put into it. It's been a long time since I've liked a sim site like this. The last one I was on was Aywas and that one drove me away due to the overload of items which I hope isn't the direction we're going towards on here with the constant coliseum additions. Everyone whining about gathering aren't using the colisuem or fairgrounds which are supposed to be two parts of the website that help you. If you can't use those then sell hatchlings of your dragons at exalt prices and in turn use the money to buy food? Buying food is pretty cheap.. just look around the AH or the item sales forum. [/center]
Read through the entire thread.
CountofCasualty wrote on 2014-12-06 20:13:00:
Just a reminder everyone...Akari was in a terrible car crash Early Jan 2014 and has spent most of this year healing and not focusing so much on programming. His health has been improving a lot from my understanding, but for 4-5 months he was basically unable to work at all.

Akari and Thrage are pretty much the only programmers that I know of. I also doubt that fR is in a place financially to be able to support another coder's salary while they're trying to stabilize/buy servers etc.

I know it sucks waiting for things to be implemented, but these things are important to remember.
Pixar wrote on 2014-12-06 20:41:40:
I wish they would fix the game's problems before inviting more people in.
-agrees with the quoted posts-

To be honest I understand the irritation with all the art updates. I've been itching for all the little issues (many discussed here) to be fixed or implemented or something. (One thing I'm really curious about is that when I joined I thought I heard of a crafting mechanic being implimented someday, but I guess that's not a thing anymore?) But man the crap coders have to go through. I would say it should be very evident by now that they don't have enough coders currently so just be patient.

Also I never see the drama around the forums that everyone's always talking about despite hanging around? eh, maybe that's just me. Honestly I find this site really solid for what it's had put into it. It's been a long time since I've liked a sim site like this. The last one I was on was Aywas and that one drove me away due to the overload of items which I hope isn't the direction we're going towards on here with the constant coliseum additions.

Everyone whining about gathering aren't using the colisuem or fairgrounds which are supposed to be two parts of the website that help you. If you can't use those then sell hatchlings of your dragons at exalt prices and in turn use the money to buy food? Buying food is pretty cheap.. just look around the AH or the item sales forum.
Lichtdrache.gif

Searching for ID: 701737107
Frustration:
-The need for a system that makes dragons worth more. Aren#t we meant to feel awesome when we buy a new dragon? Instead we are glad if we can find a home for one, haha.
Exalting rewards up for breeds/genes and maybe the "Exalt shop" that was described in the succession forum.

-Fairgrounds has not much to offer and is underpayed (mostly)

-Lair expansions seem to be too expensive in higher ranks AND this game is CLEARLY not meant to have giant lairs. People can't feed their dragons when they are not activiely buying or grinding/farming. That's not good.

Other then that: I love this site, I love the frequent small updates, I love everything. And I got rid off the first Frustration by focussing on gen1s instead and gening them up, writing bios and not breeding them outsite of their stories. It sovles everything for me : )
Frustration:
-The need for a system that makes dragons worth more. Aren#t we meant to feel awesome when we buy a new dragon? Instead we are glad if we can find a home for one, haha.
Exalting rewards up for breeds/genes and maybe the "Exalt shop" that was described in the succession forum.

-Fairgrounds has not much to offer and is underpayed (mostly)

-Lair expansions seem to be too expensive in higher ranks AND this game is CLEARLY not meant to have giant lairs. People can't feed their dragons when they are not activiely buying or grinding/farming. That's not good.

Other then that: I love this site, I love the frequent small updates, I love everything. And I got rid off the first Frustration by focussing on gen1s instead and gening them up, writing bios and not breeding them outsite of their stories. It sovles everything for me : )
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10