Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Spiral Anatomy Studies (drawing refs!)
Since my last post I have been utterly plagued by the need to understand spirals and all of their weird twists and turns. When I drew Al and Deus I spent a little while looking at other fanworks and discussions about drawing them trying to get some help, and there definitely is great stuff out there!! (shout out particularly to [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2396672]this collection[/url] of AMAZING how-tos) The way my brain works I just couldn't wrap my head around it til I broke it down myself. When I realized how much time I was spending on these explorations I thought others might have some value in seeing something like this too! maybe open the images in another tab for higher quality ^_^; [img]https://files.catbox.moe/xvfn6j.png[/img] [img]https://files.catbox.moe/czoll2.png[/img] In my full body you might notice there's some anatomical differences in mine versus the official FR art, and I have some specific reasoning for those decisions that I'll explain when I finish making my limb references in a later update to this thread (Just finished tackling those darn hind legs!!) Please feel free to reference this if you find it helpful :3 I'd love to discuss any questions if you have any regarding my studies or choices made in them! Thank you for spending some time looking at my art!
Since my last post I have been utterly plagued by the need to understand spirals and all of their weird twists and turns. When I drew Al and Deus I spent a little while looking at other fanworks and discussions about drawing them trying to get some help, and there definitely is great stuff out there!! (shout out particularly to this collection of AMAZING how-tos) The way my brain works I just couldn't wrap my head around it til I broke it down myself. When I realized how much time I was spending on these explorations I thought others might have some value in seeing something like this too! maybe open the images in another tab for higher quality ^_^;

xvfn6j.png

czoll2.png

In my full body you might notice there's some anatomical differences in mine versus the official FR art, and I have some specific reasoning for those decisions that I'll explain when I finish making my limb references in a later update to this thread (Just finished tackling those darn hind legs!!)

Please feel free to reference this if you find it helpful :3 I'd love to discuss any questions if you have any regarding my studies or choices made in them! Thank you for spending some time looking at my art!
This is very impressive and lovely!
This is very impressive and lovely!
................ .. ........... .. ...................... ..

FjAzjY1.png79042531_v32.png
OOooOooo this is so helpful!!! So nice to have a coherent reference for spirals
OOooOooo this is so helpful!!! So nice to have a coherent reference for spirals
nudX0O8.png
this is so cool!! so many ribs omggg
love the little differences between the two headshots too, variations in dragons is really fun C:
this is so cool!! so many ribs omggg
love the little differences between the two headshots too, variations in dragons is really fun C:
.......413ed94a7ed081423339dc9ad221e7783e66a715.png....
2c5d77634624e02aa8c1f95d43873fcbc89a7efd.png.....
A0CDXxc.png
This is incredible! I love how detailed your reference is! This would definitely help when drawing Spirals as well!
This is incredible! I love how detailed your reference is! This would definitely help when drawing Spirals as well!
Why Hello there!
Finally back and here with my limb studies ^_^ [img]https://files.catbox.moe/7hzved.png[/img] This page it took me wayyy longer than I thought it would.. That's because even if the arms seem straight forward they're really complex once you factor in the posing! So that's what I really wanted to focus on and practice. I wanted them to be able to be expressive while remaining consistent in anatomy, my success in that is varied but I'm happy enough with how it turned out. I think expression and fun posing can be prioritized over anatomical consistency, focusing too hard on that can make your art stiff sometimes I've found. Have fun with it!!! [img]https://files.catbox.moe/wf27am.png[/img] Here we go with the legs, the whole reason I began this exercise. I focused a lot on the pure anatomy of how they look since in so much art they're obscured or hidden, and I get it! They're kinda really strange!!! So strange I kinda changed how they look in my studies. If you noticed on my skeleton the winglets begin at the talus area of the foot, rather than sticking out of the middle of the foot where the metatarsals are as is in the official FR art. [img]https://files.catbox.moe/2gid1v.png[/img] here's a scribble of all the ways you could draw it, like mine or like FR official art. It's always gonna be a little weird but my brain just really doesn't like a finger sprouting out of another finger. Plus its more consistent with how the arms are built, that's all! I think that's it for my anatomy studies.. I hope its been interesting and/or helpful!!! I have ideas for two more pages, assorted quick poses and different expressions + face shapes. Buut I'm starting to get busier and I might not get around to them.. Thank you for all the kind comments and thank you once again spending some time with my art and reading my thoughts!
Finally back and here with my limb studies ^_^

7hzved.png

This page it took me wayyy longer than I thought it would.. That's because even if the arms seem straight forward they're really complex once you factor in the posing! So that's what I really wanted to focus on and practice. I wanted them to be able to be expressive while remaining consistent in anatomy, my success in that is varied but I'm happy enough with how it turned out. I think expression and fun posing can be prioritized over anatomical consistency, focusing too hard on that can make your art stiff sometimes I've found. Have fun with it!!!

wf27am.png

Here we go with the legs, the whole reason I began this exercise. I focused a lot on the pure anatomy of how they look since in so much art they're obscured or hidden, and I get it! They're kinda really strange!!! So strange I kinda changed how they look in my studies. If you noticed on my skeleton the winglets begin at the talus area of the foot, rather than sticking out of the middle of the foot where the metatarsals are as is in the official FR art.

2gid1v.png

here's a scribble of all the ways you could draw it, like mine or like FR official art. It's always gonna be a little weird but my brain just really doesn't like a finger sprouting out of another finger. Plus its more consistent with how the arms are built, that's all!

I think that's it for my anatomy studies.. I hope its been interesting and/or helpful!!! I have ideas for two more pages, assorted quick poses and different expressions + face shapes. Buut I'm starting to get busier and I might not get around to them..

Thank you for all the kind comments and thank you once again spending some time with my art and reading my thoughts!
Oh my gosh this level of detail is amazing! Very nicely done! :D
Oh my gosh this level of detail is amazing! Very nicely done! :D
@Cryoluxa thank you very much!! I hope sometime I can make those extra reference pages but for now I'm satisfied with the bases I've covered here ^,^
@Cryoluxa thank you very much!! I hope sometime I can make those extra reference pages but for now I'm satisfied with the bases I've covered here ^,^
bookmarking, this is so helpful!!!
bookmarking, this is so helpful!!!
CISPrku.png
AaYNmEX.png
ypcKWM0.png
2VtxnMX.png
7FieAqK.png
63559416_wB0sY3uSh60JVSJ.png
63559503_YRSjGmXX24Jqobx.png
63559411_1VR.png
63559384_vdfDjBNdQhFgqeO.png
VZZZG9B.png rYp8BR7.png