Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [WATERDOM] Library in the Sky [CLOSED]
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 85 86
More Haunting of Hill House, enjoying the atmosphere and character dynamics.

Question:
What's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone?

I recommend Umineko no Naku Koro ni to everyone that I'm even vaguely hopeful does or is open to reading Visual Novels. I always find it tricky to pitch it in a way that's enough to intrigue them, but also to not spoil anything, since it's a series with a ton of twists. If I know I can't drag the person into VNs, Lord of the Rings, because it's really a shame (and kind of surprising) how many people have seen and love the films yet haven't read the books (I adore both, just in different ways). And with a little luck you can then get them into the rest of Tolkien's work.
More Haunting of Hill House, enjoying the atmosphere and character dynamics.

Question:

I recommend Umineko no Naku Koro ni to everyone that I'm even vaguely hopeful does or is open to reading Visual Novels. I always find it tricky to pitch it in a way that's enough to intrigue them, but also to not spoil anything, since it's a series with a ton of twists. If I know I can't drag the person into VNs, Lord of the Rings, because it's really a shame (and kind of surprising) how many people have seen and love the films yet haven't read the books (I adore both, just in different ways). And with a little luck you can then get them into the rest of Tolkien's work.
~~ Call me Beato!
MUYNhfy.png
v2PJF9u.png
Aswnqzl.png

FObX7rS.png
7UXlQKU.gif
WyzHFF3.gif glnLzx2.gif WyzHFF3.gif wtae0IEm_o.pngxb40JV1.png
Here's one of today's poems! Forsythia. I have now finished Jarod K Anderson's Love Notes From The Hollow Tree collection!

As forsythia grows tall,
its branches bend beneath their own weight,
bowing to the ground in arches of yellow flowers.

Wherever they touch the earth,
the branches root again and send up new shoots,
stitching gold across the landscape.

Some new kinds of knowledge shift our center of gravity,
staggering us,
bending us low beneath the burden.

If you think of your worldview as a stone tower,
this shift is a cataclysm of splintered rock.

If your worldview is forsythia,
then every startling truth that bends you low becomes a new coonection to the earth,
a new way to stand,
an invitation to grow.

We live in a time of strong wind and sudden pressure.
It is not an age for towers.

It's an age for stubborn flowers.

Hmm recommendation for anyone and everyone is tricky. I think I'll go with Good Omens, it was my comfort book when I was younger and I would open it at any page and it'd make me smile and I'd end up reading the whole thing.

I consider it a separate thing to the show (which I'm not up to date with). All the footnotes etc give the book its own personality. It's a very easy read and a lot of fun!
Here's one of today's poems! Forsythia. I have now finished Jarod K Anderson's Love Notes From The Hollow Tree collection!

As forsythia grows tall,
its branches bend beneath their own weight,
bowing to the ground in arches of yellow flowers.

Wherever they touch the earth,
the branches root again and send up new shoots,
stitching gold across the landscape.

Some new kinds of knowledge shift our center of gravity,
staggering us,
bending us low beneath the burden.

If you think of your worldview as a stone tower,
this shift is a cataclysm of splintered rock.

If your worldview is forsythia,
then every startling truth that bends you low becomes a new coonection to the earth,
a new way to stand,
an invitation to grow.

We live in a time of strong wind and sudden pressure.
It is not an age for towers.

It's an age for stubborn flowers.

Hmm recommendation for anyone and everyone is tricky. I think I'll go with Good Omens, it was my comfort book when I was younger and I would open it at any page and it'd make me smile and I'd end up reading the whole thing.

I consider it a separate thing to the show (which I'm not up to date with). All the footnotes etc give the book its own personality. It's a very easy read and a lot of fun!
104.png Wishlist
361.png Gene Plans
121.pngFR+8
progen-small.pngsignature-badge.jpg kashan-icon-small.pngbadge-Strange-Sisters-small.png
I read chapter 22 and 23 in The Dragon's Promise today! I think I'm one chapter away from the halfway mark lol, I'm proud of myself for picking a longer book than usual

Daily question: I would probably recommend a book I read as a kid called Poppy by Avi. I loved it and it's probably what got me interested in reading fantasy and adventure books! It's been over 20 years since I read it, so I don't remember the details, but I've always remembered how much I loved it when I read it.
I read chapter 22 and 23 in The Dragon's Promise today! I think I'm one chapter away from the halfway mark lol, I'm proud of myself for picking a longer book than usual

Daily question: I would probably recommend a book I read as a kid called Poppy by Avi. I loved it and it's probably what got me interested in reading fantasy and adventure books! It's been over 20 years since I read it, so I don't remember the details, but I've always remembered how much I loved it when I read it.
arcane_nonbinbling_by_cicide76536-dcj0wde.gifmc01Dbo.png7uXVOYZ.gif Aroma.pngBErP9i.png
Daily Reading
Back to Jaina and Arthas. Last time they sneaked into the camp, watching the orcs rot there basically. They were too loud and a guard heared them. That scared Jaina and she fell down. Thankfully not breaking any bones. Arthas books it down and makes a run for it. Dragging Jaina with him till camp. The next day they managed to arrive to Dalaran. A big honor for Arthas. Cause the mages , the Kirin Tor didn't like outsiders. He was only allowed to enter cause Jaina was his friend plus she was learning there. Kinda weird how the future king of Lordaeron isnt really that special there

Ohhh that's tough...hmmm a book that people would like....I still feel "Lord of the Clans" is the best. Medival fantasy, Orc as the main lead, origin story of a great character.

Daily Reading
Back to Jaina and Arthas. Last time they sneaked into the camp, watching the orcs rot there basically. They were too loud and a guard heared them. That scared Jaina and she fell down. Thankfully not breaking any bones. Arthas books it down and makes a run for it. Dragging Jaina with him till camp. The next day they managed to arrive to Dalaran. A big honor for Arthas. Cause the mages , the Kirin Tor didn't like outsiders. He was only allowed to enter cause Jaina was his friend plus she was learning there. Kinda weird how the future king of Lordaeron isnt really that special there

Ohhh that's tough...hmmm a book that people would like....I still feel "Lord of the Clans" is the best. Medival fantasy, Orc as the main lead, origin story of a great character.

Check out my Gummi Worm Subspecie
Gummi-Worm-Emote-3.png Gummi-Worm-Emote-2.png
Today I read an article about theories regarding early hominin burial rites, if any did in fact exist. I am not very well versed in anthropology or archeology so it was a slow read but I found it very interesting.

Question
Honestly I don't think there is any book I would reccomend everyone to read. What I suggest depends on what level of English the asker has (due to it being my primary tongue and preferred reading language most of the reading material I consume is in it) and their interests. If people specifically ask for fiction however... I really like Green Grass, Running Water. The characters are particularly life like and I adore the way the narrative is framed. It has many interwoven threads at first but perserve with the story and the pay off is sublime.
Today I read an article about theories regarding early hominin burial rites, if any did in fact exist. I am not very well versed in anthropology or archeology so it was a slow read but I found it very interesting.

Question
Honestly I don't think there is any book I would reccomend everyone to read. What I suggest depends on what level of English the asker has (due to it being my primary tongue and preferred reading language most of the reading material I consume is in it) and their interests. If people specifically ask for fiction however... I really like Green Grass, Running Water. The characters are particularly life like and I adore the way the narrative is framed. It has many interwoven threads at first but perserve with the story and the pay off is sublime.
4/25:
Did more reading of Wired for Story by Lisa Cron. This chapter talked about the relevency of scenes and how each scene must contribute to the cause and effect of the plot, influencing the future and the reader's expectations. I'll have to go back over some of my own stories with this new critical eye!

Question: What's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone?
Artemis Fowl is a really enjoyable read no matter what age you are. I'd also recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, which is a drawing tips book for people who feel like they can't draw. It provides exercises on how to view the world differently and make it easier to draw.
4/25:
Did more reading of Wired for Story by Lisa Cron. This chapter talked about the relevency of scenes and how each scene must contribute to the cause and effect of the plot, influencing the future and the reader's expectations. I'll have to go back over some of my own stories with this new critical eye!

Question: What's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone?
Artemis Fowl is a really enjoyable read no matter what age you are. I'd also recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, which is a drawing tips book for people who feel like they can't draw. It provides exercises on how to view the world differently and make it easier to draw.
TntJeP6.png M7v69JN.png
Mostly just work reading again on Thursday. Maaaan I am so ready for the weekend. x'D

Apr. 25: What's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone?
David Attenborough's various Life books are very good reading! They're illustrated with plenty of photos, which are helpful since he often talks about animals and plants that might not be too widely known. The books are also very informative; there's not a lot of "sciencey" jargon, and if there is, he takes the time to couch it in simpler terms.
There are plenty of "Life" books out there, each one dealing with certain kinds of animals: Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, and waaaayy more; there's even a Life of Plants. I've learned a lot from these books, and the writing is so engaging that I reread them every year or so.
Mostly just work reading again on Thursday. Maaaan I am so ready for the weekend. x'D

Apr. 25: What's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone?
David Attenborough's various Life books are very good reading! They're illustrated with plenty of photos, which are helpful since he often talks about animals and plants that might not be too widely known. The books are also very informative; there's not a lot of "sciencey" jargon, and if there is, he takes the time to couch it in simpler terms.
There are plenty of "Life" books out there, each one dealing with certain kinds of animals: Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, and waaaayy more; there's even a Life of Plants. I've learned a lot from these books, and the writing is so engaging that I reread them every year or so.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
daily: took a break from my audiobook today to read some of the newest molly knox ostertag graphic novel the deep dark! i was lucky enough to get my hands on an arc and i am REALLY enjoying it so far, much darker/more mature than her previous work which i enjoy. :)

what's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone? probably the passion by jeannette winterson! anyone who enjoys literary fiction, historical fiction, or even someone who doesn't usually read those genres but just wants to read something well-written would enjoy it. it's one of my favorite books by her and probably her best in terms of technical writing skills - just an all around excellent story.
daily: took a break from my audiobook today to read some of the newest molly knox ostertag graphic novel the deep dark! i was lucky enough to get my hands on an arc and i am REALLY enjoying it so far, much darker/more mature than her previous work which i enjoy. :)

what's a book you'd recommend to almost anyone? probably the passion by jeannette winterson! anyone who enjoys literary fiction, historical fiction, or even someone who doesn't usually read those genres but just wants to read something well-written would enjoy it. it's one of my favorite books by her and probably her best in terms of technical writing skills - just an all around excellent story.
pushing things to the centerSlight-Eyewing.pngspace veilspun adopts
old fest skins
dragons for sale
spaceEEEmH1m.png
Daily Reading

I finished the Spanish Steelheart chapter I started yesterday. Yes, trying to read in a language I can't actually read makes me feel stupid, but I learn new words occasionally, so that's always nice.

Daily Question

As a general rule, I try to tailor my recommendations to the person, so I don't know that I have anything I would recommend to just about anybody. That said, probably the closest I come is The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. It's such a cute little book. More people should definitely read it.
Daily Reading

I finished the Spanish Steelheart chapter I started yesterday. Yes, trying to read in a language I can't actually read makes me feel stupid, but I learn new words occasionally, so that's always nice.

Daily Question

As a general rule, I try to tailor my recommendations to the person, so I don't know that I have anything I would recommend to just about anybody. That said, probably the closest I come is The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. It's such a cute little book. More people should definitely read it.
Daily reading: Today I read… neat bio lore!

Recommend to almost anyone? Discworld, because comedy AND magic AND serious culture and human issues
Daily reading: Today I read… neat bio lore!

Recommend to almost anyone? Discworld, because comedy AND magic AND serious culture and human issues
Three Nature eggs with pale yellow sprouting tops sitting on a gold-lined leaf bed against a green background. 3XiDjku.pngxORoftk.png
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 85 86