Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Question About the price of some Genes
Hello! I've been looking at leveling up my Baldwin so I can make cool stuff and epic profit, but for now I'm in the lower levels and looking to level up fast.

The problem that I have come across here is that the low level genes sell for less on the auction house then it is possible to make them for. A quick example being the Mucous gene parchment: Which takes 45Kt just to start making, not even including the cost of materials, then I look on the AH and both the Mucous parchment and the aberration gene are equal to or below 45Kt (or 45G) meaning that with my current understanding of Baldwin these people are actively making a loss by producing these genes.

On to the proper question, are these people just eating the loss for the XP or are they somehow paying significantly less then what I am seeing? (either in materials or starting cost)
Hello! I've been looking at leveling up my Baldwin so I can make cool stuff and epic profit, but for now I'm in the lower levels and looking to level up fast.

The problem that I have come across here is that the low level genes sell for less on the auction house then it is possible to make them for. A quick example being the Mucous gene parchment: Which takes 45Kt just to start making, not even including the cost of materials, then I look on the AH and both the Mucous parchment and the aberration gene are equal to or below 45Kt (or 45G) meaning that with my current understanding of Baldwin these people are actively making a loss by producing these genes.

On to the proper question, are these people just eating the loss for the XP or are they somehow paying significantly less then what I am seeing? (either in materials or starting cost)
@thesuperfish There's no cheaper way to make Baldwin genes. Some people might be making them for the XP, others just might not be thinking about the material cost when listing.
Making Baldwin items to sell isn't always the most profitable option, as you've found with Mucous. Most of the time transmuting and then selling the base materials gets you more profit than using them to make something else.
@thesuperfish There's no cheaper way to make Baldwin genes. Some people might be making them for the XP, others just might not be thinking about the material cost when listing.
Making Baldwin items to sell isn't always the most profitable option, as you've found with Mucous. Most of the time transmuting and then selling the base materials gets you more profit than using them to make something else.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@thesuperfish

People often start brewing before looking up prices, people often burn money to gain experience faster and generally people are bad at math. People also don't like checking Baldwin frequently so brews with the longest times are also popular. A few are gambling that when the next breed comes out that can use that parchment prices will rise.

Baldwin Math explains why the people bad at math think they are coming out ahead on some of these. Essentially they don't count the cost of ingredients/time to make reagents and concentrate on the "big" number the whatever sells for.

In order to level up quickly on the cheap people do post in Items for Sale and offer to brew. Generally they do it for free/tips since experience is the point and nearly everyone wants people to transmute and not brew so the supply of brewers is higher than the demand.

edit: ninja'd!
@thesuperfish

People often start brewing before looking up prices, people often burn money to gain experience faster and generally people are bad at math. People also don't like checking Baldwin frequently so brews with the longest times are also popular. A few are gambling that when the next breed comes out that can use that parchment prices will rise.

Baldwin Math explains why the people bad at math think they are coming out ahead on some of these. Essentially they don't count the cost of ingredients/time to make reagents and concentrate on the "big" number the whatever sells for.

In order to level up quickly on the cheap people do post in Items for Sale and offer to brew. Generally they do it for free/tips since experience is the point and nearly everyone wants people to transmute and not brew so the supply of brewers is higher than the demand.

edit: ninja'd!
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@thesuperfish Other people have covered the general principles, but I'll add that Mucous is a quite unpopular gene. It's also a low-level gene that gives a lot of experience for a short brew time, so I think your guess is correct: people are eating the loss for the XP.
@thesuperfish Other people have covered the general principles, but I'll add that Mucous is a quite unpopular gene. It's also a low-level gene that gives a lot of experience for a short brew time, so I think your guess is correct: people are eating the loss for the XP.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
Ah, ok, my main game is practically an economic simulator so things like this really confuse me when they pop up [emoji=coatl tongue size=1] Thanks for the answers!
Ah, ok, my main game is practically an economic simulator so things like this really confuse me when they pop up

Thanks for the answers!