Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | retain some ancient gene exclusivity
1 2 3 4 5
@Antimoany
i think you've misunderstood - or i'm misunderstanding what you're responding to? anyway, it's because i like the varied anatomy of the ancient breeds that i also like their exclusive genes. it feels thematically appropriate to me for them to have exclusive genes, and that increases their appeal in my eyes. in my example upthread, when i said i thought chevron would look cool on ridgebacks, that wasn't me saying "i wish i could give chevron to ridgebacks", because i wouldn't. i was just acknowledging an aesthetic fact lol
@Antimoany
i think you've misunderstood - or i'm misunderstanding what you're responding to? anyway, it's because i like the varied anatomy of the ancient breeds that i also like their exclusive genes. it feels thematically appropriate to me for them to have exclusive genes, and that increases their appeal in my eyes. in my example upthread, when i said i thought chevron would look cool on ridgebacks, that wasn't me saying "i wish i could give chevron to ridgebacks", because i wouldn't. i was just acknowledging an aesthetic fact lol
Heraldic Dragon Adopts

they/them (FR+3)
(sal-tih-sih-day)
absolutely no. I don't want to be forced to chose a breed I don't really like because only that one has gene combo that I like. I want to see more customization and more options be opened up. also, easier to track when breeds share multiple genes, no more "does X breed have Y genes". ancients are so limited that IMO, they should have all genes shared, between themselves and moderns (except yeah linebreaking terts on moderns)
absolutely no. I don't want to be forced to chose a breed I don't really like because only that one has gene combo that I like. I want to see more customization and more options be opened up. also, easier to track when breeds share multiple genes, no more "does X breed have Y genes". ancients are so limited that IMO, they should have all genes shared, between themselves and moderns (except yeah linebreaking terts on moderns)
WIhgWqV.pngyeetWr77RAu.png

yeet
you
see
mE
wHy

yeet hYZxkBA.gif
No support. @/Valrunie made a bunch of good points, but I'd like to toss in my own two cents. I much prefer more customization options rather than restricting genes to certain breeds for the sake of exclusivity. Genes like mochlus/riopa are too good to be kept locked on one breed, for example, and I think the game is only improved by spreading genes around. Like others in this thread said, I'd hate for some genes to never be ported onto a breed that I think would perfect for them. The various ancient breeds already have some degree of uniqueness because the way two-three genes will interact with each other is different for every breed. There are also some genes that I think work better on other breeds than the breed it originated on, such as flecks.
No support. @/Valrunie made a bunch of good points, but I'd like to toss in my own two cents. I much prefer more customization options rather than restricting genes to certain breeds for the sake of exclusivity. Genes like mochlus/riopa are too good to be kept locked on one breed, for example, and I think the game is only improved by spreading genes around. Like others in this thread said, I'd hate for some genes to never be ported onto a breed that I think would perfect for them. The various ancient breeds already have some degree of uniqueness because the way two-three genes will interact with each other is different for every breed. There are also some genes that I think work better on other breeds than the breed it originated on, such as flecks.
- G1s for sale
- LF any combo of abyss, copper, spruce and other dream g1s
I don't see the point in doing this. All it does is limit options for other people with no actual benefit. The point of ancients as a whole isn't that they have exclusive genes, it's that they get tertiaries and body types that break the rules of modern dragons. Whether or not other dragons share these genes won't change this. Everyone having orb/weaver doesn't take away the ability for aberrations to have the gene, so it isn't a problem that needs to be fixed.
I don't see the point in doing this. All it does is limit options for other people with no actual benefit. The point of ancients as a whole isn't that they have exclusive genes, it's that they get tertiaries and body types that break the rules of modern dragons. Whether or not other dragons share these genes won't change this. Everyone having orb/weaver doesn't take away the ability for aberrations to have the gene, so it isn't a problem that needs to be fixed.
The perks of ancients are linebreaking genes and half-price scrolls. Primary/secondary genes have never fallen under either umbrella and I don't see any benefit of asking for less gene options

no support
The perks of ancients are linebreaking genes and half-price scrolls. Primary/secondary genes have never fallen under either umbrella and I don't see any benefit of asking for less gene options

no support
sBdLZtA.png
[quote name="Osteoderm" date="2024-03-23 18:52:03" ] No support. @/Valrunie made a bunch of good points, but I'd like to toss in my own two cents. I much prefer more customization options rather than restricting genes to certain breeds for the sake of exclusivity. Genes like mochlus/riopa are too good to be kept locked on one breed, for example, and I think the game is only improved by spreading genes around. Like others in this thread said, I'd hate for some genes to never be ported onto a breed that I think would perfect for them. The various ancient breeds already have some degree of uniqueness because the way two-three genes will interact with each other is different for every breed. There are also some genes that I think work better on other breeds than the breed it originated on, such as flecks. [/quote] This 100%. I shouldn’t need to have a breed I don’t like if I want a certain gene. To clarify, I don’t like ancients- more specifically their restrictions. I don’t buy them as permas because I value dressing my dragons. If the genes (like orb and weaver) remained locked to ancients, I would never get to use them. Ever. *I am of course excluding the linebreaking tertiaries. I understand why those can’t be ported to moderns and tbh I don’t really like most of them anyways.
Osteoderm wrote on 2024-03-23 18:52:03:
This 100%. I shouldn’t need to have a breed I don’t like if I want a certain gene.
To clarify, I don’t like ancients- more specifically their restrictions. I don’t buy them as permas because I value dressing my dragons. If the genes (like orb and weaver) remained locked to ancients, I would never get to use them. Ever.

*I am of course excluding the linebreaking tertiaries. I understand why those can’t be ported to moderns and tbh I don’t really like most of them anyways.
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
No support for exclusive dragon customization.

It can be incredibly disappointing when a long awaited style/theme of gene is made available to only one breed. Don't like the breed that your dream gene ended up releasing for? Well, cross your fingers and hope it gets ported to one of your favs.
Designated gene exclusivity would be devastating.

Dragon customization is one of The central pillars of this game's core gameplay loop. Options are a good thing.
Due to the existence of Ancient line-breakers, it's not feasible to port every gene to every breed, but all the rest? Throw 'em around like free candy, I say!

(Mochlus and Riopa, for example, are gorgeous genes that would work beautifully on any breed. I would not want to see them to remain exclusive to just one breed, nor would I want to see any future genes like these be given a stamp of exclusivity.)

This game allows for plenty of differing playstyles and It's totally valid for anyone to feel that Ancients are lacking with their inability to wear apparel.

I personally am not very impressed with how Ancients as a breed feature played out. Apparel is one aspect, but another big sour spot is their limited selection of genes compared to Moderns. The smaller selection really limits the kinds of looks you can get on each Ancient, which can be a bummer if you want to do something on a specific Ancient breed, but it's just not possible due to a certain gene not being available for it.
I feel that porting genes across all breeds is nothing but a benefit!

But Ancients do have some other things going for them!

Ancients benefit from:
+ Gene Scrolls that are half the price of the scrolls of Modern breeds, making Ancient projects quite affordable.
+ Line-breaking genes that would never work on Moderns due to apparel.
+ 5 Egg Nests bonus (because they can only breed among their own species.)
+ More frequent releases (faster production), due to not wearing apparel.
No support for exclusive dragon customization.

It can be incredibly disappointing when a long awaited style/theme of gene is made available to only one breed. Don't like the breed that your dream gene ended up releasing for? Well, cross your fingers and hope it gets ported to one of your favs.
Designated gene exclusivity would be devastating.

Dragon customization is one of The central pillars of this game's core gameplay loop. Options are a good thing.
Due to the existence of Ancient line-breakers, it's not feasible to port every gene to every breed, but all the rest? Throw 'em around like free candy, I say!

(Mochlus and Riopa, for example, are gorgeous genes that would work beautifully on any breed. I would not want to see them to remain exclusive to just one breed, nor would I want to see any future genes like these be given a stamp of exclusivity.)

This game allows for plenty of differing playstyles and It's totally valid for anyone to feel that Ancients are lacking with their inability to wear apparel.

I personally am not very impressed with how Ancients as a breed feature played out. Apparel is one aspect, but another big sour spot is their limited selection of genes compared to Moderns. The smaller selection really limits the kinds of looks you can get on each Ancient, which can be a bummer if you want to do something on a specific Ancient breed, but it's just not possible due to a certain gene not being available for it.
I feel that porting genes across all breeds is nothing but a benefit!

But Ancients do have some other things going for them!

Ancients benefit from:
+ Gene Scrolls that are half the price of the scrolls of Modern breeds, making Ancient projects quite affordable.
+ Line-breaking genes that would never work on Moderns due to apparel.
+ 5 Egg Nests bonus (because they can only breed among their own species.)
+ More frequent releases (faster production), due to not wearing apparel.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I'm neutral on this but do think that Ancients would definitely benefit from some other things to make them look better/be more customiseable, since there are a lot of ancient dragons I love but don't fit into my lair simply because they look too 'basic' per se. Not that they look bad whatsoever, it's just that all my moderns have that extra layer of complexity that comes with apparel.
I'm neutral on this but do think that Ancients would definitely benefit from some other things to make them look better/be more customiseable, since there are a lot of ancient dragons I love but don't fit into my lair simply because they look too 'basic' per se. Not that they look bad whatsoever, it's just that all my moderns have that extra layer of complexity that comes with apparel.
Hey, I'm Kabet!
He/They/Any

Wishlist
full support - what's the point of the exclusivity of ancients if we're just gonna give every ancient and modern the ancient pri/sec genes?

not only do we need to retain just ANCIENT EXCLUSIVE genes but ANCIENT BREED EXCLUSIVE genes - there need to be some genes that are made for one and shouldn't go to the others

it's also a slap in the face in regards to no inter-breeding between ancients despite them having more and more shared genes - it would be simple enough to have incompatible slots revert to basic
full support - what's the point of the exclusivity of ancients if we're just gonna give every ancient and modern the ancient pri/sec genes?

not only do we need to retain just ANCIENT EXCLUSIVE genes but ANCIENT BREED EXCLUSIVE genes - there need to be some genes that are made for one and shouldn't go to the others

it's also a slap in the face in regards to no inter-breeding between ancients despite them having more and more shared genes - it would be simple enough to have incompatible slots revert to basic
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
I'm gonna say no support, but I wanna give kudos for making this suggestion anyway. It brings up important discussion and it's always important to hear everyone's opinion. My opinion lines up with what Contaminate said [quote]The perks of ancients are linebreaking genes and half-price scrolls. Primary/secondary genes have never fallen under either umbrella and I don't see any benefit of asking for less gene options.[/quote] as well as what Jemadar said [quote]I really don't want the day to come when a gene I have been waiting for, and really want for a particular dragon is now locked behind a specific breed. Especially because it usually means that we aren't going to get similar looking ones for other dragons. For instance, if one day there is a dragon that has a lot of horse like primaries/secondaries, I would hate for something like a spotted blanket be locked to that particular breed, especially if, for some reason, I dislike that particular breed. [/quote] If something like Jaguar/Rosette had been gaoler-exclusive for example I would have rioted. Mochulus/Riopa are kind of in that spot right now, they're amazing colour savers that's currently exclusive to Auraboas, which is a shame.
I'm gonna say no support, but I wanna give kudos for making this suggestion anyway. It brings up important discussion and it's always important to hear everyone's opinion.

My opinion lines up with what Contaminate said
Quote:
The perks of ancients are linebreaking genes and half-price scrolls. Primary/secondary genes have never fallen under either umbrella and I don't see any benefit of asking for less gene options.

as well as what Jemadar said
Quote:
I really don't want the day to come when a gene I have been waiting for, and really want for a particular dragon is now locked behind a specific breed. Especially because it usually means that we aren't going to get similar looking ones for other dragons.

For instance, if one day there is a dragon that has a lot of horse like primaries/secondaries, I would hate for something like a spotted blanket be locked to that particular breed, especially if, for some reason, I dislike that particular breed.

If something like Jaguar/Rosette had been gaoler-exclusive for example I would have rioted. Mochulus/Riopa are kind of in that spot right now, they're amazing colour savers that's currently exclusive to Auraboas, which is a shame.
1 2 3 4 5